PDA

View Full Version : This Is The Story....The Supremes in the 70's

test

lakeside
03-30-2017, 07:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALf5t5_xb6o

masterblaster
03-31-2017, 05:52 AM
I was hoping this thread was announcing the re-release of the 'This Is The Story' box set which I never got to purchase when originally released. Going for rediculous prices on EBay and Amazon.

ejluther
03-31-2017, 05:12 PM
Great video - thanks for sharing!

lakeside
03-31-2017, 06:21 PM
Thanks, ejluther, I had never seen this one myself. Nice pics of the ladies.

DJMoch
04-01-2017, 01:24 PM
You have no idea how happy I was when these 70s Supremes box sets came out. The 70s Supremes were criminally underrated, at least in these last couple decades. My first exposure to the 70s lineups was through a cassette copy of "Greatest Hits and Rare Classics" I purchased in the mid 1990s, which I later discovered had a completely different track listing to the CD version when I found and purchased it a few years later. I do recall reading the thread here that talked about it originally being a 2CD set but label politics got in the way, and this was the end result [[as a compromise, maybe?) By the time the two 70s era box sets came out, I was happy that they were finally getting proper recognition, as their stuff, while not as familiar as that from the Diana-led era, was just as fantastic in quality.

carlo
04-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Totally agree with you, DJMoch. The 70s Supremes box sets are among my favourite Universal releases. I also have a very special place in my heart for the 70's Anthology.

DJMoch
04-01-2017, 03:23 PM
I'm just a bit irritated that while most of the stuff that was on the cassette version of GH&RC eventually came out on CD, the mix of "Touch" that was on there [[an alternate mono mix, which I thought was the best of all the mixes, by far) has so far not seen CD release. Also, Scherrie's solo song "Fly" has also never ended up on CD as far as I'm aware.

greg jones
04-01-2017, 03:26 PM
You have no idea how happy I was when these 70s Supremes box sets came out. The 70s Supremes were criminally underrated, at least in these last couple decades. My first exposure to the 70s lineups was through a cassette copy of "Greatest Hits and Rare Classics" I purchased in the mid 1990s, which I later discovered had a completely different track listing to the CD version when I found and purchased it a few years later. I do recall reading the thread here that talked about it originally being a 2CD set but label politics got in the way, and this was the end result [[as a compromise, maybe?) By the time the two 70s era box sets came out, I was happy that they were finally getting proper recognition, as their stuff, while not as familiar as that from the Diana-led era, was just as fantastic in quality.

Yes, and then about 6 to 8 years later, we did get the 2cd set The '70's Anthology, which did include a few of those considered for GH&RC. Sadly, some more unreleased didn't get chosen for that set either. Here's to the '70's Supremes Lost And Found set coming out!!!

johnny_raven
04-01-2017, 05:40 PM
Scherrie's solo song "Fly" has also never ended up on CD as far as I'm aware.

"Fly" [[the single version found on GH&RC, anyway) was released on this hard to find 3 CD set about 10 years ago. Oddly, so did an instrumental version [[with BGs) of Mary's "Red Hot."

DJMoch
04-01-2017, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the info, johnny_raven. Pity it's hard to find. Wish I knew about it at the time the set came out. Though I see it was released by Reader's Digest in Europe, at least according to the Discogs entry I looked at, and if so it probably would have been hard to get here even then.

johnny_raven
04-01-2017, 07:21 PM
You might be able to find it at Amazon uk or eBay.

RanRan79
04-04-2017, 07:16 PM
My first exposure to the 70s lineups was through a cassette copy of "Greatest Hits and Rare Classics" I purchased in the mid 1990s, which I later discovered had a completely different track listing to the CD version when I found and purchased it a few years later.

I'm just a bit irritated that while most of the stuff that was on the cassette version of GH&RC eventually came out on CD, the mix of "Touch" that was on there [[an alternate mono mix, which I thought was the best of all the mixes, by far) has so far not seen CD release. Also, Scherrie's solo song "Fly" has also never ended up on CD as far as I'm aware.

DJ that was nearly my experience also. My mother had a 45 of "Let My Heart Do the Walking/Early Morning Love" and a copy of "Dreamgirl" by Mary Wilson when I was a kid. Diana Ross was one of the biggest acts in the world and I could recognize her voice anywhere. I knew Mary and Flo's names, mostly from looking at the pics and reading the captions in my mother's book, but I didn't know anything about 70s Supremes. I knew the voice singing on my mother's 45 wasn't Diana Ross, so I assumed "Walking" was Florence and correctly guessed that "Early" was Mary. Lol

But it was the 90s when I picked up the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics cassette [[which I still have) and fell in love with the post Diana Supremes. With the changing mediums of enjoying music, I can't imagine that I have even played the GH&RC cassette since at least the year 2000, so I'm surprised to learn that the version of "Touch" on the cassette is an alternate. I wonder if that's why I haven't enjoyed the song in a very long time the way that I did back in the 90s. That really explains a lot. I'm going to pull my tape out today [[or tomorrow) and give it a listen. I also didn't know that the cd track list was different than the cassette, but that doesn't surprise me. I remember being annoyed when I found out that the 25th Anniversary cd set had a couple more goodies on it than the cassette version.

RanRan79
04-04-2017, 07:18 PM
Yes, and then about 6 to 8 years later, we did get the 2cd set The '70's Anthology, which did include a few of those considered for GH&RC. Sadly, some more unreleased didn't get chosen for that set either. Here's to the '70's Supremes Lost And Found set coming out!!!

Would you all rather have a Lost and Found set or have the 70s albums expanded the appropriate unreleased tracks contained within?? My vote is for the 70s albums to be expanded and include the unreleased and alternates the way the 60s albums have been done.

greg jones
04-04-2017, 07:29 PM
Would you all rather have a Lost and Found set or have the 70s albums expanded the appropriate unreleased tracks contained within?? My vote is for the 70s albums to be expanded and include the unreleased and alternates the way the 60s albums have been done.

George Solomon said on one of the NightFlight radio shows that it was hard enough to get Universal/PolyGram to release the '70 Supremes albums and the 2 3 cd sets. He doesn't think Universal would ever go for Expanded Editions. So to get unreleased, it's better to go the Lost & Found route. Never Say Never, but odds aren't with Expanded Editions.

Ozmo
04-04-2017, 08:00 PM
George Solomon said on one of the NightFlight radio shows that it was hard enough to get Universal/PolyGram to release the '70 Supremes albums and the 2 3 cd sets. He doesn't think Universal would ever go for Expanded Editions. So to get unreleased, it's better to go the Lost & Found route. Never Say Never, but odds aren't with Expanded Editions.
Perhaps if Universal gave the green light, Funkytowngrooves or the Soulmusic label could release expanded editions of the 70s albums.

DJMoch
04-04-2017, 08:10 PM
Honestly, as it is, I'd be more than happy with a "Lost And Found" 70's Supremes set, given that all their albums have already been released [[albeit as part of the two sets that were released). In the meantime, I've been creating my own "Deluxe" albums in iTunes for every single Supremes album I have, adding the singles from "Complete Motown Singles" as well as all the myriad alternate mixes and unreleased/live tracks that have appeared from any number of CD compilations over the years. [[Motown Box, Cellarful, the 2CD reissues, etc).

Looking now in my iTunes, just for the Diana Ross-led era alone, I have well over 750+ songs listed. [[!!...and will soon grow once A-Go-Go comes out, LOL) Honestly and truly, Supremes fans have been absolutely spoiled over the last three decades. I've never seen a group have so much stuff released, especially previously unreleased. To all those responsible for these releases, I can't thank you all enough.

DJ Moch

RanRan79
04-04-2017, 08:36 PM

That's disappointing. But of course I'd rather have the music in whatever form possible.

RanRan79
04-04-2017, 08:37 PM
Perhaps if Universal gave the green light, Funkytowngrooves or the Soulmusic label could release expanded editions of the 70s albums.

Let's hope.

RanRan79
04-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Honestly, as it is, I'd be more than happy with a "Lost And Found" 70's Supremes set, given that all their albums have already been released [[albeit as part of the two sets that were released). In the meantime, I've been creating my own "Deluxe" albums in iTunes for every single Supremes album I have, adding the singles from "Complete Motown Singles" as well as all the myriad alternate mixes and unreleased/live tracks that have appeared from any number of CD compilations over the years. [[Motown Box, Cellarful, the 2CD reissues, etc).

Looking now in my iTunes, just for the Diana Ross-led era alone, I have well over 750+ songs listed. [[!!...and will soon grow once A-Go-Go comes out, LOL) Honestly and truly, Supremes fans have been absolutely spoiled over the last three decades. I've never seen a group have so much stuff released, especially previously unreleased. To all those responsible for these releases, I can't thank you all enough.

DJ Moch

I guess we are spoiled. Won't stop me for asking for more, but I can agree with spoiled. Lol But I echo DJ's sentiment. When one thinks of all the other great acts whose fans have to wait and wait and wait for something new, the fact that there's a team out there doing what they can to give Supremes' fans what we want, we have to be grateful.

longtimefan
04-05-2017, 01:31 AM

"Fly" [[the single version found on GH&RC, anyway) was released on this hard to find 3 CD set about 10 years ago. Oddly, so did an instrumental version [[with BGs) of Mary's "Red Hot."

I recently purchased this CD. It was not that hard to find. It has a very unique track list that you can find on Discogs.

mysterysinger
04-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the info, johnny_raven. Pity it's hard to find. Wish I knew about it at the time the set came out. Though I see it was released by Reader's Digest in Europe, at least according to the Discogs entry I looked at, and if so it probably would have been hard to get here even then.

Have to agree that these sets aren't that hard to find, at least here in the UK. They often turn up very cheaply indeed and sometimes come still brand new wrapped in their original cellophane. Amazon and Ebay are good [[Music Magpie always have some in) their EBay shop). You can see them all here and if you click on each photo you can see a track listing as well. https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookephotography/albums/72157639293039323

George Solomon
04-07-2017, 07:09 PM
It would be a dream to do Expanded Editions of the 70's albums and I guess nothing is impossible. At the rate we're going we might see "Right On" in 2070. Hey ... in time for the 100th anniversary!

kenneth
04-08-2017, 06:21 PM
It would be a dream to do Expanded Editions of the 70's albums and I guess nothing is impossible. At the rate we're going we might see "Right On" in 2070. Hey ... in time for the 100th anniversary!

Ha ha, well maybe you'll see it! I know I won't!

Ozmo
04-08-2017, 09:30 PM

Is it too early to pre-order the 'Right On' expanded edition due for 2070 release? lol.

RanRan79
04-09-2017, 05:13 PM

LOL I hope it doesn't take that long!!