PDA

View Full Version : Joni sledge's memorial service

test

glencro
03-27-2017, 09:37 PM
Last week I attended a private memorial service for Joni Sledge in Scottsdale, AZ. It was a beautiful reception attended by family and close friends. The night started off with a deliciously catered array of food and beverages. Debbie Sledge was at the front gracefully greeting everyone that entered the room. Later in the evening everyone congregated in the chapel where there was a program hosted by their eldest nephew. Joni's former husband spoke on behalf of their son Thaddeus. Condolences were read from Aretha Franklin, Elton John, Ruth Pointer and Flava Flav. The sisters and close friends shared funny stories about Joni and how ambitious and adventurous she was. One thing for sure, she definitely made the most of her time on earth. Stories of her partying on a yacht with friends and Denzel Washington and Norm Nixon, dinners with African prime ministers and kings, living in Paris to study French, mountain climbing and always dreaming big. Their niece Camille sang a beautiful gospel song, Kathy Sledge sang "There's Something About That Name". The Jesus moment happened when she invited Debbie to the microphone to harmonize with her, then sister Kim joined them. There wasn't a dry eye in the place, in fact I had chill bumps. Kathy shared a story of running into Joni at a spa in LA 5 weeks ago. She stated that they often bumped heads but said on that day they were about to talk, love on each other and put everything behind them. Debbie's other daughter Amber shared a beautiful poem. It was a beautiful service. The next day Kim Sledge invited a group of about 14 of us to meet at Joni's favorite breakfast spot. We ate good, did a mimosa toast in Joni's honor and talked, laughed and had a great time. What a beautiful family, inside and out.

There was a more public memorial service in Philadelphia last weekend where she was laid to rest near her mother and other close family members. She will truly be missed.

luke
03-27-2017, 10:58 PM
Thank you. Very moving indeed

marv2
03-28-2017, 05:49 AM
Thank you Glenn for the report and great pictures.

Marv

sansradio
03-28-2017, 10:35 AM
Thank you so much for sharing this.

Bluebrock
03-28-2017, 01:20 PM
Last week I attended a private memorial service for Joni Sledge in Scottsdale, AZ. It was a beautiful reception attended by family and close friends. The night started off with a deliciously catered array of food and beverages. Debbie Sledge was at the front gracefully greeting everyone that entered the room. Later in the evening everyone congregated in the chapel where there was a program hosted by their eldest nephew. Joni's former husband spoke on behalf of their son Thaddeus. Condolences were read from Aretha Franklin, Elton John, Ruth Pointer and Flava Flav. The sisters and close friends shared funny stories about Joni and how ambitious and adventurous she was. One thing for sure, she definitely made the most of her time on earth. Stories of her partying on a yacht with friends and Denzel Washington and Norm Nixon, dinners with African prime ministers and kings, living in Paris to study French, mountain climbing and always dreaming big. Their niece Camille sang a beautiful gospel song, Kathy Sledge sang "There's Something About That Name". The Jesus moment happened when she invited Debbie to the microphone to harmonize with her, then sister Kim joined them. There wasn't a dry eye in the place, in fact I had chill bumps. Kathy shared a story of running into Joni at a spa in LA 5 weeks ago. She stated that they often bumped heads but said on that day they were about to talk, love on each other and put everything behind them. Debbie's other daughter Amber shared a beautiful poem. It was a beautiful service. The next day Kim Sledge invited a group of about 14 of us to meet at Joni's favorite breakfast spot. We ate good, did a mimosa toast in Joni's honor and talked, laughed and had a great time. What a beautiful family, inside and out.

There was a more public memorial service in Philadelphia last weekend where she was laid to rest near her mother and other close family members. She will truly be missed.
Thank you so much for that deeply moving report.It was nice to see Kathy reunited with her sisters albeit for tragic reasons. I hope this is the start of a permanent reconciliation.

Guy
03-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Thanks Glencro. Can you identify the people in the photos? I recognize the Sledge sisters, who are the others?

glencro
03-28-2017, 08:29 PM
Thank you so much for that deeply moving report.It was nice to see Kathy reunited with her sisters albeit for tragic reasons. I hope this is the start of a permanent reconciliation.

You're welcome and I agree, hopefully a permanent reconciliation.

glencro
03-28-2017, 08:33 PM
Thanks Glencro. Can you identify the people in the photos? I recognize the Sledge sisters, who are the others?

In the top photo that is me second from left next to Kim Sledge [[in black hat), next to me is family friend KIande, Debbie is holding her grand daughter, next to Kathy is Debbie's daughter Camille [[holding Debbie's grandson) and the guy on the end is a promoter and family friend.

The two young ladies in the bottom photo with the sisters are family friends

Ozmo
03-28-2017, 08:35 PM
Glencro, thanks for sharing this with us. It seems like a beautiful tribute to Joni. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for Debbie, Kim and Kathy to get up and sing on a such an emotional occasion. They did their sister proud.

Guy
03-29-2017, 05:46 PM
In the top photo that is me second from left next to Kim Sledge [[in black hat), next to me is family friend KIande, Debbie is holding her grand daughter, next to Kathy is Debbie's daughter Camille [[holding Debbie's grandson) and the guy on the end is a promoter and family friend.

The two young ladies in the bottom photo with the sisters are family friends

Thanks Glencro. A lovely family.

ferdy10
04-30-2017, 03:04 PM
Thank you for your message. Joni will sadly be missed by us all.