PDA

View Full Version : Has Mary's "Red Hot" Been Reissued?

test

marv2
03-24-2017, 11:04 PM
Glenn Rivera has come for Mary Wilson.....

marv2
03-24-2017, 11:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFCgEtnIM08

lakeside
03-25-2017, 07:46 AM
http://shadesofseventies.com/restructure.html

What a cool site. Thanks, Marv. Brought back lots of memories. Enjoyed the new re-interpretation of Red Hot.

Bluebrock
03-25-2017, 07:48 AM
[QUOTE=marv2;377915]Glenn Rivera has come for Mary Wilson.....

An expanded edition is due to be issued later this year.

daviddh
03-25-2017, 07:52 AM
like it better than the original

Bluebrock
03-25-2017, 01:35 PM
like it better than the original
I would probably agree with you David.

marv2
03-25-2017, 02:31 PM
http://shadesofseventies.com/restructure.html

What a cool site. Thanks, Marv. Brought back lots of memories. Enjoyed the new re-interpretation of Red Hot.

You are welcome Lakeside. I like it. They played this new remix at some large party in Miami this week.

honest man
03-25-2017, 03:35 PM
Won't be wasting my money on this release.

REDHOT
03-25-2017, 03:36 PM
I'm looking for the real 45 of Mary Wilson's Red Hot,not the album version,not the remixes,just the 45 verison,it's different,and i really liked it too,i think the 45 version,is much better then the album version,i love all the remixes of Red Hot,and Thank Marv,for sharing this different remix of Red Hot,love it,

marv2
03-25-2017, 03:41 PM
I'm looking for the real 45 of Mary Wilson's Red Hot,not the album version,not the remixes,just the 45 verison,it's different,and i really liked it too,i think the 45 version,is much better then the album version,i love all the remixes of Red Hot,and Thank Marv,for sharing this new remix of Red Hot,love it,

The 45 version was great.

sansradio
03-25-2017, 05:45 PM
Has anyone ever noticed/pointed out the similarities between "Red Hot" and this JB workout? They were released the same year and have the same bassline and other similar elements. Is it the same bassist? Did Hal Davis rip James off as JB did David Bowie's "Fame" a few years earlier with his "Hot [[I Need to Be Loved, Loved, Loved)"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmSPlyRhJz0

marv2
03-25-2017, 05:59 PM
Has anyone ever noticed/pointed out the similarities between "Red Hot" and this JB workout? They were released the same year and have the same bassline and other similar elements. Is it the same bassist? Did Hal Davis rip James off as JB did David Bowie's "Fame" a few years earlier with his "Hot [[I Need to Be Loved, Loved, Loved)"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmSPlyRhJz0

Oh yeah. From the very first moment I heard "Red Hot" back in 1979 I've called it "Mary Wilson does James Brown!" LOL!!!

sansradio
03-25-2017, 07:22 PM
Right, Marv? I just made that connection this morning as I was listening to this remix, which is great, by the way. Wonder if James raised sand about it?

marv2
03-25-2017, 09:43 PM
Right, Marv? I just made that connection this morning as I was listening to this remix, which is great, by the way. Wonder if James raised sand about it?

Nah I doubt it. He and Mary were very good friends. Now years later when all of the Hip Hop artists began sampling his music, well that was a different story.....

Circa 1824
03-26-2017, 06:38 PM
Red Hot was anything but red hot. It demonstrated her extremely limited vocal abilities and total lack of musicality.

thanxal
03-26-2017, 09:39 PM
Red Hot was anything but red hot. It demonstrated her extremely limited vocal abilities and total lack of musicality.
Nope. Not at all. Mary has a wonderful range and silky, beautiful voice. Just like I do not believe those who bash Diana, I do not believe those who bash Mary [[or Flo or Cindy or Jean or Lynda or Sherrie or Susaye). All Supremes ARE Supreme.

DJMoch
03-26-2017, 09:50 PM
All Supremes ARE Supreme.

1000% agree, thanxal. I love every single member of The Supremes, Mary, Flo, Diana, Cindy, Scherrie, Lynda, Susaye, they've *all* contributed to the music that has brought me untold joy and pleasure for almost all of my life. I don't understand people who feel the need to bash. There's really no need to drag a person through the mud if you don't like them. [[Note: This is not directed at anyone in particular, I'm just expressing my general opinion.)

As for Mary, I've never heard her "Red Hot" album. I'm more than curious.

thanxal
03-26-2017, 10:01 PM
1000% agree, thanxal. I love every single member of The Supremes, Mary, Flo, Diana, Cindy, Scherrie, Lynda, Susaye, they've *all* contributed to the music that has brought me untold joy and pleasure for almost all of my life. I don't understand people who feel the need to bash. There's really no need to drag a person through the mud if you don't like them. [[Note: This is not directed at anyone in particular, I'm just expressing my general opinion.)

I couldn't agree more. There are many people on this forum who feel they are entitled to tell us all how much they don't like this or that artist. My wish is that they would simply stop typing. Mary's self titled album is what it is. I happen to love it since I work out to it every day [[for the past five years). Is it "Ella Fitzgerald Sings The George and Ira Gershwin Songbook"? No. It is not. But Mary has a feel and a rhythm to herself. And she should be respected for that and all that she has accomplished.

detmotownguy
03-26-2017, 10:33 PM
I couldn't agree more. There are many people on this forum who feel they are entitled to tell us all how much they don't like this or that artist. My wish is that they would simply stop typing. Mary's self titled album is what it is. I happen to love it since I work out to it every day [[for the past five years). Is it "Ella Fitzgerald Sings The George and Ira Gershwin Songbook"? No. It is not. But Mary has a feel and a rhythm to herself. And she should be respected for that and all that she has accomplished.

Could be safe to say Each original Supreme each had a distinct sound

RanRan79
03-27-2017, 01:05 AM
People, please don't feed the trolls.

RanRan79
03-27-2017, 01:11 AM

I love every member too. Each one has added to the legacy in some way. The bashers usually have a low self opinion. People with high self esteem usually don't feel the need to bash folks they've never even met.

As for Mary's album, IMO it's pretty bad. Like I said in another thread, Mary was no disco queen. The sound and her voice just wasn't a good fit. My favorite cut on the album [[and really the only one I ever make a point of listening to) is "Pick Up the Pieces". I think if that had been released as a single and pushed, it would have been Mary's first solo hit.

RanRan79
03-27-2017, 01:13 AM
I love every single member of The Supremes, Mary, Flo, Diana, Cindy, Scherrie, Lynda, Susaye, they've *all* contributed to the music that has brought me untold joy and pleasure for almost all of my life.

DJMoch, what about Barbara? You Barbara bashers always leaving her out!! :D

greg jones
03-27-2017, 01:19 AM
Could be safe to say Each original Supreme each had a distinct sound

Even though each has a different distinct voice, all of their voices blended well together.

detmotownguy
03-27-2017, 01:46 AM
Even though each has a different distinct voice, all of their voices blended well together. yes agree! The perfect blend. I guess I left that out. Not dissing the others, but Mary's voice just seem to add a certain "uniqueness. I might be wrong, but I think there is a YouTube clip of the three singing "Somewhere". Whatever the song, they killed it - perfection! Oh wait, maybe it was People.

DJMoch
03-27-2017, 07:50 AM
DJMoch, what about Barbara? You Barbara bashers always leaving her out!! :D

LOL, sorry for neglecting Barbara from my list. I always forget she was there in the beginning, mainly because I so rarely listen to their first album [[not really my favourite, but there are a couple good songs on it). So yeah, add Barbara to the list :D

Bluebrock
03-27-2017, 01:00 PM
LOL, sorry for neglecting Barbara from my list. I always forget she was there in the beginning, mainly because I so rarely listen to their first album [[not really my favourite, but there are a couple good songs on it). So yeah, add Barbara to the list :D
Never mind Barbara! You left Jean off your list which is far more alarming!

DJMoch
03-27-2017, 01:59 PM
Oh my god. Can I blame it on lack of sleep? I'm so ashamed of myself. Loves me some Jean. To be fair, with almost 10 members during the life of the group, it's all too easy to leave someone out. But what kind of fan am I?

*puts paper bag on head and slinks away to naughty corner*

luke
03-27-2017, 02:50 PM
We won't mention Betty McGlown

TomatoTom123
03-27-2017, 03:13 PM
Wow, Emile. Tut tut. Call yourself a Supremes fan? You're a disgrace!!!!

LOLOL :D

marv2
03-27-2017, 03:35 PM
We won't mention Betty McGlown

Why not? I love Betty. Met her once when she came to see Mary during one of Mary's book signings in Detroit.

DJMoch
03-27-2017, 03:57 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder if Amazon carries "Supremes For Dummies". I'm desperately in need of a lesson, methinks. ROFL!

marv2
03-27-2017, 04:07 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder if Amazon carries "Supremes For Dummies". I'm desperately in need of a lesson, methinks. ROFL!

Just don't let Kaaren Ragland find you! She is a brute, hehehehehehe!

lakeside
03-27-2017, 04:48 PM
Just don't let Kaaren Ragland find you! She is a brute, hehehehehehe!

Kaaren might be a brute....but.....God forbid Shantel Baker finds out she was omitted! They'll be hell to pay.....she may sing 'at' you!
http://soulfuldetroit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4074&stc=1&d=1325371661

DJMoch
03-27-2017, 04:49 PM
I have no idea who either of those are, and frankly I think I'd rather not know in all honesty.

greg jones
03-27-2017, 05:35 PM
Oh my god. Can I blame it on lack of sleep? I'm so ashamed of myself. Loves me some Jean. To be fair, with almost 10 members during the life of the group, it's all too easy to leave someone out. But what kind of fan am I?

With so many members to rattle off, next just put at the end of the names, et. all. Saying them all in one breath is hard.

RanRan79
03-27-2017, 06:06 PM

Don't be ashamed DJ. I zeroed in on Barbara's omission and didn't even realize you left off Jean. I guess with so many members it is easy to forget somebody.

DJMoch
03-27-2017, 06:37 PM
With Betty McGlown, did she actually appear on any of the Supremes early stuff? I assume she was part of the Primettes when they did their "Tears Of Sorrow" single, but was she a part of any of their early stuff once they became The Supremes? I feel like she was only there for what felt like 30 seconds before Barbara replaced her.

marv2
03-27-2017, 06:40 PM
With Betty McGlown, did she actually appear on any of the Supremes early stuff? I assume she was part of the Primettes when they did their "Tears Of Sorrow" single, but was she a part of any of their early stuff once they became The Supremes? I feel like she was only there for what felt like 30 seconds before Barbara replaced her.

She's on "Pretty Baby" and recordings where they backed up other artists on Lupine.

luke
03-27-2017, 07:09 PM
That's why I said I shouldn't really mention Betty as she was a Primette Was only Kidding u DJ. But I hope you get down with peripheral Supremes like Shantel, Marlene, Telma, near Supremes Norma, Barbara, Sundray etc etc etc Et al Lol

marv2
03-27-2017, 07:37 PM
That's why I said I shouldn't really mention Betty as she was a Primette Was only Kidding u DJ. But I hope you get down with peripheral Supremes like Shantel, Marlene, Telma, near Supremes Norma, Barbara, Sundray etc etc etc Et al Lol

If I stuck to what I said years ago and that was any two women singing with Mary Wilson are the Supremes I would have to add her nearly 3 dozen background singers that worked with her over the last 40 years LOL! Whew! Ya listen Iris Parker? Heya Robin Alexander LOL

RanRan79
03-27-2017, 08:33 PM

Betty McGlown never recorded with the Primettes, at least not the two songs on their single release. According to Mary Wilson Betty had already left. Guess we'll never know what the Primettes sounded like with Betty.

luke
03-27-2017, 08:46 PM
Good point Marv. That's how Rags justifies it right?? There could be 49 some groups of Supremes out there and Freddie and Sundray could start groups too! Odd per Betty not recording. I thought sh was with the group until Barbara joined and they became the Supremes

RanRan79
03-27-2017, 11:19 PM
Good point Marv. That's how Rags justifies it right?? There could be 49 some groups of Supremes out there and Freddie and Sundray could start groups too! Odd per Betty not recording. I thought sh was with the group until Barbara joined and they became the Supremes

If Mary's timeline is correct, Betty was gone a couple months before Barbara joined. Florence temporarily left the group, leaving Diana and Mary a duo until Flo's return. At that point they recorded "Sorrow" and "Pretty" at Lupine and then sometime after that Barbara joined.

kenneth
03-28-2017, 12:33 AM
Kaaren might be a brute....but.....God forbid Shantel Baker finds out she was omitted! They'll be hell to pay.....she may sing 'at' you!
http://soulfuldetroit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4074&stc=1&d=1325371661

@Lakeside, are you responsible for this??? You oughta be 'shamed!

Bluebrock
03-28-2017, 08:31 AM

If i told you i was interviewing that very same lady in two days time and may even tell her of this major oversight what would you say????? Ha ha ha.

RanRan79
03-28-2017, 10:32 AM
If i told you i was interviewing that very same lady in two days time and may even tell her of this major oversight what would you say????? Ha ha ha.

Please tell Ms. Jean to get her butt in the studio!! We need an album!! If you could pass that along I'd appreciate it. ;)

lakeside
03-28-2017, 10:58 AM
@Lakeside, are you responsible for this??? You oughta be 'shamed!

No Kenneth, I can't take credit for that one. Someone else here on the board did it a number of years ago when there was a Shantel Baker thread going. I think Shantel had
claimed in an interview she replaced Diana Ross or Jean Terrell or some such nonsense.
We had fun with that thread!

DJMoch
03-28-2017, 11:13 AM

I wouldn't say anything, I'd probably pass out. LOL. :p

luke
03-28-2017, 03:54 PM
I think she said she replaced Freda Payne!

lakeside
03-28-2017, 04:23 PM
I think she said she replaced Freda Payne!

Yes, I think that was it....which sounds right up Shantel's alley with her extensive knowledge of The Supremes...and of course, replacing Freda put her right in the
thick of The Supremes history.

luke
03-28-2017, 05:18 PM
Lolol. Supreme Shantel

thanxal
03-28-2017, 08:10 PM
Tell Jean we love her. We write about her often here on this forum and we wish her all the best.

Bluebrock
03-29-2017, 06:43 AM
Tell Jean we love her. We write about her often here on this forum and we wish her all the best.
I will be more than happy to do that. Believe it or not i am more nervous about interviewing her than i have ever been about anyone else in my lengthy career. I guess the last time i ever felt anything like this was when i interviewed Ella Fitzgerald way back in the 80's. Wish me luck.

Roberta75
03-29-2017, 09:04 AM
I will be more than happy to do that. Believe it or not i am more nervous about interviewing her than i have ever been about anyone else in my lengthy career. I guess the last time i ever felt anything like this was when i interviewed Ella Fitzgerald way back in the 80's. Wish me luck.

You are a good person my dear friend with a kind heart and a beautifull soul. You will be absolutely fine and Miss Terrell will feel real comfortable in your company.

My love and good good wishes are with you.

Roberta

thommg
03-29-2017, 11:23 AM
Bluebrock, listen to Roberta for she is wise! ;-) Jean has a very interesting story to tell and I would love to hear what she has to say. She added immeasurably to The Supremes legacy and I hope she is proud of that history.

Bluebrock
03-29-2017, 01:52 PM
You are a good person my dear friend with a kind heart and a beautifull soul. You will be absolutely fine and Miss Terrell will feel real comfortable in your company.

My love and good good wishes are with you.

Roberta
God bless you Roberta. xx

Bluebrock
03-29-2017, 01:55 PM
Bluebrock, listen to Roberta for she is wise! ;-) Jean has a very interesting story to tell and I would love to hear what she has to say. She added immeasurably to The Supremes legacy and I hope she is proud of that history.
So do i my friend. Jean is not comfortable doing interviews so i am determined not to make a mess of it! I won't be on this forum for a few days for obvious reasons but will report back as soon as i can. Thank you again.

Ozmo
03-29-2017, 06:59 PM
So do i my friend. Jean is not comfortable doing interviews so i am determined not to make a mess of it! I won't be on this forum for a few days for obvious reasons but will report back as soon as i can. Thank you again.
Bluebrock, I look forward to the report of your interview with Jean. I recall vividly as a youngster my apprehension as to the future of the group when it was announced that Diana Ross was leaving. However, I can still remember the exhilaration of hearing 'Up The Ladder To The Roof' on radio for the first time. It had such a fresh, uplifting sound and as well as being able to clearly identify Mary and Cindy on the recording, it had the gorgeous, soulful voice of Jean leading the way. I knew then that the Supremes could go on producing great music. I am sure that you will let Jean know that there are legions of fans that still enjoy her music to this day.