PDA

View Full Version : "Ask Any Girl" question

test

DJMoch
03-21-2017, 09:28 PM
I almost hesitate bringing up a Supremes-related question, but in this case it's about the music. I've been wondering why the song "Ask Any Girl" appeared on two consecutive albums, Where Did Our Love Go and More Hits.. It seems odd to me that the exact same song with the exact same arrangement appear on two albums back to back a year apart -- and really, the only difference I can tell is that the song is faded a bit earlier on its appearances on More Hits. Anyone shed light on this?

DJ

sup_fan
03-21-2017, 09:44 PM
They were giving some consideration to it being a single.

bradsupremes
03-21-2017, 10:15 PM
Exactly what sup_fan said. Motown gave the song a new mix with the serious consideration of releasing it as a potential single. It could have worked as a single following "Come See About Me," but by early-mid 1965, the Motown Sound had changed dramatically. With the roaring sounds of "Stop In The Name Of Love," "Back In My Arms Again," and "Nothing But Heartaches," "Ask Any Girl" sounded old despite having only been recorded a year before.

DJMoch
03-21-2017, 10:23 PM
I guess I need to listen to them again, I didn't realize they were actually new mixes for the album. I haven't listened to either albums in a while, so I need to hear them and compare. Thanks for your knowledge guys, I appreciate it.

luke
03-21-2017, 10:39 PM
I also wonder why Going Down for the third time was a b side. It clearly sounds like an A side to me. Any thoughts?

DJMoch
03-21-2017, 11:26 PM
No idea, but I love "Going Down". It definitely sounds like hit material. I really like the album version that has the extra "Save me, save me" vocals in the intro, I miss it in the single version.

DJMoch
03-21-2017, 11:30 PM
I'm especially looking forward to those mixes of Itching. I really want them to be longer songs, as it's such an amazingly uptempo dancey song that it deserves elongation. :)

And I just realized I posted this to the wrong thread. Meant to go-go into the "A-Go-Go" thread. Sorry, it's the excitement. LOL!

Methuselah2
03-22-2017, 01:53 AM
I love ASK ANY GIRL but as far as releasing it as a single, it sort of already was--as the B-side of BABY LOVE. To release it later as an A-side seems very unlikely to me.

Methuselah2
03-23-2017, 03:45 AM
Various B-sides often became noticed in some markets and gain a following, and I think ASK ANY GIRL was one of them. [[See the GREATEST HITS album for others.) It might have seemed logical to Motown to re-include ASK ANY GIRL on an subsequent album because of its semi-notoriety, and the MORE HITS album was just the place. It was even given a prominent position on the MORE HITS album cover, so Motown certainly wasn't trying to hide the fact of its inclusion--moreover, it seemed to me that they were actually highlighting it for all those who might have missed ASK ANY GIRL the first time around.

But these are just my thoughts and they could easily be completely off-base.

mysterysinger
03-23-2017, 05:48 AM
Perhaps Motown were put off releasing AAG as an A side because of the release of Len Barry's "1-2-3". They were so upset about it they went to law. Now Holland Dozier Holland own a piece of that too.

144man
03-23-2017, 09:22 AM
Does anyone know if Kim Weston's version survives in the vaults?

vgalindo
03-23-2017, 02:18 PM
I really never cared for Ask Any Girl. I believe it would have stopped their consecutive number ones. Nice album filler but not single release.

luke
03-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Agree. It just doesn't have that Supremes /HDH excitement to me. Pleasant but that's it.

RanRan79
03-23-2017, 05:00 PM
I also wonder why Going Down for the third time was a b side. It clearly sounds like an A side to me. Any thoughts?

I think it would have made an excellent A side. Don't know if it would have been a number one, but definitely top 10. Everyone seems to like it.

RanRan79
03-23-2017, 05:02 PM
I really never cared for Ask Any Girl. I believe it would have stopped their consecutive number ones. Nice album filler but not single release.

I love "Ask Any Girl" and think it's a great cut, but I have to agree, it would have been the single to stop their number one run. I just can't see it being played and purchased at the rate the first five number ones were.

144man
03-24-2017, 08:12 PM

"Ask Any Girl" has always been my favourite Supremes' record...and probably always will be!

daviddh
03-25-2017, 08:06 AM
when I was younger I didn't care much for ASK ANY GIRL, now I love it,
I am not sure why it was used on both albums especially since More Hits didn't get released until July 65. and Where Did Our Love Go lp was still charting. does anyone know if it got airplay???
I do think it would have been good as a single.
I also LOVE Going Down For The Thrid Time. that would have been a hit. I like the Save Me Save Me but I prefer the single version without because it s not the supremes singing that line. maybe the Andantees....but it doesn't sound like them either. to me that Save Me makes the song POP.....could it been a top ten hit. I would have released it instead of Somethings you never get used to or forever came today

daviddh
03-25-2017, 08:08 AM
I am surprised Going Down wasnt included in their Greatest Hits album 1967. a supremes classic...on both songs

sup_fan
03-25-2017, 10:45 AM
Going Down is a great song but timing was probably off. not sure of the recording date. but it seems more 65 or 66 to me rather than 67. The sounds of both the girls and Motown were constantly evolving and, by the time Going was released, it wasn't cutting edge. After You Can't Hurry Love, then amazing Hanging On, then the new sound of Love is here with the harpsichord. then totally new reflections.

very similar to what someone said above about AAG. a great song but missed it's chance to be released when it might have done well and then the group and sound had advanced

DJMoch
03-25-2017, 12:19 PM
I looked it up on that "Don't Forget The Motor City" website [[an excellent resource, how the hell have I only just discovered it?!) it says that "Going Down" was recorded June 21, 1966. So definitely an earlier sound. I love the song to bits, but stylistically, it kind of got drowned [[heh!) in the sea of new sounds that were coming out of the Motown factory.