PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross and The Andantes- I'm So Glad I Got Somebody [[Like You Around)

test

biggestfourtops fan
03-13-2017, 02:45 AM
Great underrated song from the underrated songwriters Lawrence Brown-George Gordy-Allen Story and Anna Gordy Gaye. The Andantes are SOARING on this. Those "OHHHS" at the 11 second mark and 1:06 Mark.

Bluebrock
03-13-2017, 03:31 AM
Yes it is a great tune. Glad it is not just me who appreciates it.

reese
03-13-2017, 09:42 AM
I like the song. It was amongst the 45s that my parents bought me for my first little record player. But when I listen to the record now, Diana's voice sounds really strained and overworked, which it probably was.

TomatoTom123
03-13-2017, 03:57 PM
I like this very much. You're right, reese, Diana does sound a bit weird but overall she's still great. And so is the song!

TomatoTom123
03-13-2017, 04:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0BsCkKSz04&app=desktop

Ozmo
03-13-2017, 08:11 PM
I can't say that I ever really loved this track. I remember as a youngster first hearing it as the flipside to 'I'm Living In Shame'. I too thought that Diana Ross sounded strained on this track and the backing vocals sounded generic. For a song celebrating love, to me it lacked a sense of joy.
I began thinking around this time that Motwn's female groups [[Supremes, Vandellas, Marvelettes) were all starting to sound the same. Now of course I know it was because the Andantes were often used for the entire background vocals which I feel robbed those groups of much of their individuallity.
However, music is such a personal experience so I'm glad others love this track.

bradsupremes
03-13-2017, 08:46 PM
I always wondered if the background vocals for this and Marvin Gaye's "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby" were done in the same session as there is the same "Ooo" passage in both.

daviddesper
03-13-2017, 11:46 PM
Add me to the list of fans that always loved this song!

longtimefan
03-14-2017, 12:53 AM
It's about a half key too high for her. If "we" can hear this anomaly 50 years later, it makes one wonder why the producers didn't hear it at the time. Diana did her best with the key she was given. My conjecture is [[and I have the same guess about numerous Motown tracks) that the company was turning out tracks almost 24/7 and thorough attention was simply not possible. I'm not knocking Motown -- just considering this was all occurring 40-50 years ago with far less technical equipment, great producers who were "still learning" all aspects of production and distribution, etc. The flip side is that it is truly amazing that they turned out as many "impeccable" tracks as they did year after year!:-)

Ollie9
03-14-2017, 04:21 AM
Diana's version of "Over The Rainbow" wins my award for song cut in the wrong key. At least it was never used on a Supremes album at the time which means someone must have realised.
It would be very hard not to lol.

Circa 1824
03-14-2017, 07:03 PM
Even as a young adolescent, to me this song was "filler." Sadly, most Supremes albums contained one or two or more "fillers" that were of lesser quality than the others. Maybe this is why Supremes LP's are not considered classic albums. This is one area that Berry was short-sided in his thinking.

sup_fan
03-14-2017, 11:04 PM
while I agree this isn't the most dynamic song DRATS ever cut, I do like it. and I think the problem with their 60s albums is that they're not cohesive. but if the tracks are shuffled between lp sets, it works better. I've posted quite a few of these on various threads here. I think the Let Sunshine In would have worked better if it was more of a traditional pop/cover tunes set. So on my alt version playlist is did:

Aquarius/Sunshine
Composer
Hey Western Union
Up Up and Away
What Becomes of Broken Hearted
I'm LIving in Shame

No Matter What Sign
Love Makes me Do foolish things
Will this be the day
Don't break these chains of love
you ain't living until you're loving
hey jude

Then Cream of Crop would be more of an adult contemporary/MOR set of

Someday
You Gave me Love
Stormy
You're Gonna Hear from me
Till Johnny Comes
I'm So Glad I Got Somebody

Discover Me
Loving You is sweeter than ever
When it's to the top
Beginning of the end
The look of love
I'll set you free

And yes, I redid Reflections and LC lps so that the tunes listed here were replaced with other, more appropriate content for those lps. IMO these versions are a bit more cohesive of a project and less choppy/uneven

Philles/Motown Gary
03-15-2017, 12:13 AM
I've always liked "I'm So Glad" a lot. It displayed a mid-tempo, soulful side to The Supremes. And, as always, I LOVE The Andantes' back-up vocals. Their intricate harmonies are classy and exquisite.

arr&bee
03-16-2017, 01:35 PM
Very pedestrian,nothing much there,just album filler.

captainjames
03-21-2017, 09:25 PM
Loved it then ....love it even more today....

TomatoTom123
03-22-2017, 12:52 PM
Very pedestrian,nothing much there,just album filler.

Hmm. I have always wondered about "filler". Do you think that when the song's composers set out to write the track, they had no intention of it ever being a single, or ever being a hit? So they just wrote a song for the sole purpose of filling up an album? :)

jack020
03-22-2017, 01:29 PM
Someone said:

"Filler", aka the opposite of "killer", can be identified as such:

1. Sounds like it was written in about 20 minutes

2. Usually one of the last tracks on a record

3. Never, ever performed live

TomatoTom123
03-23-2017, 12:04 PM
Someone said:

"Filler", aka the opposite of "killer", can be identified as such:

1. Sounds like it was written in about 20 minutes