PDA

View Full Version : Funky Music Sho Nuff Turns Me On - The Temptations

test

TomatoTom123
03-10-2017, 11:46 AM
This definitively FUNKY song was recorded by The Tempts for their 1972 album All Directions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v-dPvEioY4&app=desktop

Now, I absolutely adore the song [[and its versions by Edwin Starr and Yvonne Fair) but have many questions about it...

The sound quality is "fuzzy" and in mono and it sounds as if it were recorded live. In fact, the single release of the song [[the B-Side of "Mother Nature") states that it was "recorded live at the Funky Monkey"...

However, the DFTMC website lists the track as having been recorded in Motown's Golden World studio... so it's not live? Is it a "fake" live recording?

Thanks for any help ;)

TomatoTom123
03-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Oh, and if it was recorded live, what and where is the "Funky Monkey"...!!??

Motown Eddie
03-10-2017, 01:15 PM
If the DFTMC site states that The Tempts' version of "Funky Music" was recorded at Golden World, then it's likely a 'fake live' recording [[like Rare Earth's version of "Get Ready"). I've always felt that Whitfield dropped the ball when it came to this single since it's so fuzzy that you can hardly hear the lyrics [[or The Tempts' harmonies).

motony
03-10-2017, 05:27 PM
I thought the Yvonne Fair version was going to be a huge hit, it got a lot of airplay in Florida. Loved her appearance on Soul Train doin it, she was like in a cave girl outfit.

TomatoTom123
03-10-2017, 08:10 PM
If the DFTMC site states that The Tempts' version of "Funky Music" was recorded at Golden World, then it's likely a 'fake live' recording [[like Rare Earth's version of "Get Ready"). I've always felt that Whitfield dropped the ball when it came to this single since it's so fuzzy that you can hardly hear the lyrics [[or The Tempts' harmonies).

Yeah, probably. And it does detract a bit from The Tempts vocals and the song overall... a proper, stereo studio recording with The Funk Brothers' playing in full glory would be better, but oh well! :)

TomatoTom123
03-11-2017, 07:21 AM
I thought the Yvonne Fair version was going to be a huge hit, it got a lot of airplay in Florida. Loved her appearance on Soul Train doin it, she was like in a cave girl outfit.

Oh, yes, Tony! it certainly should have been...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1n4lb-hYE

TomatoTom123
03-11-2017, 07:26 AM
Here's the single:

motony
03-12-2017, 10:55 AM
wow, thanks for the video, Yvonne was so cool.

TomatoTom123
03-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Welcome Tony! And here's Edwin Starr's original version... the BEST in my opinion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY9pJf0FHAo&app=desktop

And featuring The Undisputed Truth on backing vocals too!!!

TomatoTom123
03-13-2017, 04:14 PM
Edwin did a version with The Utah Saints about 30 years later!!! Ignore how they kinda messed up the song and enjoy Edwin's brilliant and crazy performance :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=578esPNlTxA&app=desktop

jobeterob
03-13-2017, 05:25 PM
You guys seem to like it quite a lot; I remember around the time of the release of the song a lot of the press was talking Norman Whitfield excess and over production and weaker writing. This wasn't one of his best I didn't think. But others obviously felt differently.

TomatoTom123
03-13-2017, 07:37 PM
You guys seem to like it quite a lot.

Well, Rob, almost all of the posts on this thread are mine so it might just be me who likes it!!!! LOL

I remember around the time of the release of the song a lot of the press was talking Norman Whitfield excess and over production and weaker writing. This wasn't one of his best I didn't think. But others obviously felt differently.

I think it is the ultimate definition of "funk"... an incredibly funky song about funk written and produced by a funkin' musical genius for one of the funkiest funk groups ever! :D

jobeterob
03-14-2017, 01:03 AM
Bet Whitfield is reading your post from above right now!

lockhartgary
03-14-2017, 07:59 AM
With regards to this song, I say Norman was out of his funkin' mind!

TomatoTom123
03-14-2017, 11:10 AM
Bet Whitfield is reading your post from above right now!

Haha! I'd be honoured :)

Motown Eddie
03-14-2017, 01:32 PM
One more note about The Tempts' "Funky Music Sho Nuff Turns Me On"; only the single states that it was "Recorded Live at The Funky Monkey". The All Directions LP [[which kicks off with "Funky Music") carries no such information.

TomatoTom123
03-14-2017, 03:03 PM
One more note about The Tempts' "Funky Music Sho Nuff Turns Me On"; only the single states that it was "Recorded Live at The Funky Monkey". The All Directions LP [[which kicks off with "Funky Music") carries no such information.

Yes, Eddie, that is true! Any idea why you might do this... why make it a "fake" live recording?

Philles/Motown Gary
03-15-2017, 12:37 AM
Count me in, too, as a fan of this funky, live-ish Tempts' track. I love Edwin Starr's version as well. And Yvonne's!

Motown Eddie
03-15-2017, 08:21 AM
Yes, Eddie, that is true! Any idea why you might do this... why make it a "fake" live recording? Only Norman Whitfield knew why he made The Tempts' "Funky Music" a fake live recording [[or why he made it the B-side of "Mother Nature"). And even though Rare Earth's version of "Get Ready" was done the same way, at least the clear sounding production on that song let's you hear the vocals [[and the instruments).