PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry Lesson From 1985 - LIVE! - Diana Ross & Smokey Robinson/MISSING YOU

test

Methuselah2
03-09-2017, 01:50 AM
This may easily have been posted before but I hadn't seen it. Maybe you haven't either.

Love the chemistry:

https://youtu.be/RFynCPl09EM

Many thanks to Scott Pangburn for this YouTube posting.

Philles/Motown Gary
03-09-2017, 02:30 AM
I remember this performance fondly! Smokey showed up in the middle of a Diana Ross concert. After Diana introduced Smokey to the audience, the two sat down on a set of steps and sang Diana's "Missing You" together. The chemistry, as shown in this video, was magical!

Methuselah2
03-09-2017, 05:39 AM
Thank you for the background info, Gary. You have an awfully good memory: This clip is from over 30 years ago! But great Motown performances do seem to linger, speaking for myself, forever.

Bluebrock
03-09-2017, 09:13 AM
Thank you for the background info, Gary. You have an awfully good memory: This clip is from over 30 years ago! But great Motown performances do seem to linger, speaking for myself, forever.
When i interviewed Smokey in 2015 for my books he spoke warmly of Diana and expressed a desire to work/tour with her again under a "Legends" banner. I suggested a duets album of which he thoroughly approved of. He is a fascinating man with a vast knowledge of the music industry. I asked Diana the same question in January 2017 and she also thoroughly approved of the idea. Watch this space..........

Roberta75
03-09-2017, 09:47 AM
Love love love this clip and song. Thats real chemistry and stardom folks.

thanks for posting Methuselah.

fondly,

Roberta

reese
03-09-2017, 10:41 AM
I remember this well. Every Friday I would look forward to watching the series from which appearance is from, THE MOTOWN REVUE STARRING SMOKEY ROBINSON. So many great performers appeared on that show.

I also vaguely remember reading somewhere that Diana's band also rehearsed A BREATH TAKING GUY for this appearance, but they didn't end up performing it.

JohnnyB
03-09-2017, 12:32 PM
I remember this well. Every Friday I would look forward to watching the series from which appearance is from, THE MOTOWN REVUE STARRING SMOKEY ROBINSON. So many great performers appeared on that show.

I also vaguely remember reading somewhere that Diana's band also rehearsed A BREATH TAKING GUY for this appearance, but they didn't end up performing it.

Wow, A Breath Taking Guy? Rehearsing the song makes sense because she sang the chorus during this taping, while telling the audience how influential Smokey was to her career. That would have been quite a performance...

JohnnyB
03-09-2017, 12:36 PM
When i interviewed Smokey in 2015 for my books he spoke warmly of Diana and expressed a desire to work/tour with her again under a "Legends" banner. I suggested a duets album of which he thoroughly approved of. He is a fascinating man with a vast knowledge of the music industry. I asked Diana the same question in January 2017 and she also thoroughly approved of the idea. Watch this space..........

A Diana/Smokey pairing could be such a full circle Motown Legend event. Just the thought of such a pairing is exciting...

Philles/Motown Gary
03-10-2017, 05:36 AM

Well, thanks for the compliment, Meth, but to be honest with you, the reason I remember it so clearly was because I had recorded that performance on VHS way back in the '80s! But, either way, it was a chemistry-loaded performance to remember forever!