PDA

View Full Version : Calling daviddesper: Re: Martha And The Vandellas "Tell Me I'll Never Be Alone."

test

huntergettingcaptured
03-08-2017, 01:03 PM
You posted this back in December on the "Third Finger, Left Hand" thread:

"I liked it too. While we are on that time frame, I will bring up a song from the same era that I always loved, and I mention it occasionally and no one ever seems to agree with me. So I will try again. Are there any other "Tell Me I'll Never Be Alone" fans out there? I think that is one of their best songs ever to have been ONLY an album cut and not even so much as a B side. That bridge where the girls sing "everybody needs somebody so they'll never be alone" is awesome!"

I'm with you on this song; it's another fantastic Dean/Weatherspoon production where the structure is sheer perfection. I always love how their songs are so seamlessly structured so that lyrics and chorus flow from one to the other so well. My first thought was how "BIG" this sounded. A full-on, grand-scale affair with a swelling music track and the wonderful mix of actual group vocals and the Andantes 2nd-level backgrounds working almost subliminally in the mix.

Like you said, the bridge is awesome because it really allows Betty and Rosalind to have sort of "solo" spot of their own and shine in their own right. To me, this was a cousin to the Dean/Weatherspoon production of "When You're Young And In Love" for The Marvelettes; big-scale music bed, ample vocals that put the original group members voices out front.

I always wished there were more of these Dean/Weatherspoon songs done with Martha Reeves and The Vandellas. This one definitely is special.

By the way, have you heard the mono mix on this song?

snakepit
03-08-2017, 01:20 PM
Love this track..you're on a roll 😊

Philles/Motown Gary
03-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Duplicate!

Philles/Motown Gary
03-08-2017, 02:33 PM
[[I replied to this thread a few minutes ago on my SmartPhone. For whatever reason, when I tried posting it, it didn't take and I lost it. I'm retyping it on my PC. If it ends up as a duplicate, that will be the reason why.)

I, too, love Martha & The Vandellas' "Tell Me I'll Never Be Alone". [[I remember commenting on that in the past.) Dean & Weatherspoon are among my favorite Motown producers. Their melodies and productions were especially sweet and heartfelt. Their use of both The Vandellas and The Andantes on back-up vocals was brilliant. It could have -- and should have -- been released as a single, as should H-D-H's "One Way Out" and "Happiness Is Guaranteed". Overall, I think Martha & The Vandellas "Watchout!" album is among Motown's finest examples of the 1960's "Motown Sound"; "Tell Me I'll Never Be Alone" is a big reason why!

danman869
03-08-2017, 05:01 PM
The entire "Watchout!" album is pretty spectacular. Only in reading this did I realize that I've never heard a mono mix of the album--and am probably missing some great [[different to the stereo) mixes! I'm also a fan of of this song by Weatherspoon and Dean and ANOTHER killer song by them on The Vandellas--"I've Got To See You"!

daviddesper
03-09-2017, 01:17 AM
Thanks guys for renewing my faith in this song and in my own musical tastes!!!