PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes at the "Luncheon Date" [[1966) [[INTERVIEW)

test

Ian Scarlet
03-07-2017, 02:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyldE2FjOLw

REDHOT
03-07-2017, 06:08 AM
I watch this yesterday,you can tell,by watching this interview,they were still friends,the guy doing the interview,seem to really like Florence,he kept asking her questions,i love this whole interview,it's really rare.

theboyfromxtown
03-07-2017, 06:13 AM
It's interesting that you say that REDHOT. Most people I know seem to be drawn towards Florence [[including myself) and I have never understood why that might be. Mary is just as charming.

westgrandboulevard
03-07-2017, 06:46 AM
I have always loved all the ladies in The Supremes for different reasons....but Florence here, and often in other instances, is not 'putting on the manner, and putting on the glamour' to quite the same degree as Diana and Mary.

She is less formal, and not seeming to choose her words with quite such care, or the way she says them [[Diana was always more skilled at doing that,and more expressively than Mary, in those days).

Florence may not always have fitted in with the image Motown wanted to present for 'The Supremes'..but here, Florence is more relaxed and 'real' and, therefore, more approachable. The eye is drawn to her, and so it's easy to make a spontaneous connection with her, and to feel positively about her.

In short, people loved her.:)

luke
03-07-2017, 09:07 AM
Interviewer asking Florence if she weighed more than Diana because Diana worked harder..!!! Maybe Motown had him say that! Rude.

marv2
03-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Interviewer asking Florence if she weighed more than Diana because Diana worked harder..!!! Maybe Motown had him say that! Rude.

How are you going to ask a woman her weight on television. That was offensive.

marv2
03-07-2017, 11:24 AM
This was done in Toronto. Further proof of what I've been saying. There must be tons of footage of Motown artists from foreign markets.

marv2
03-07-2017, 11:52 AM
The "money talk" was interesting.

luke
03-07-2017, 12:26 PM
Yes. Cut down to $50 a week! I missed him saying to Florence, til I listened again -that then she woiuldnt have as much money to eat. How obnoxious! I bet he wa "fed" that comment! Flo handled it so well with her humor!!

Roberta75
03-07-2017, 12:41 PM
The conspiracy cats are out in force today. Lol

marv2
03-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Yes. Cut down to $50 a week! I missed him saying to Florence, til I listened again -that then she woiuldnt have as much money to eat. How obnoxious! I bet he wa "fed" that comment! Flo handled it so well with her humor!!

You know he was fed that line, because this is around the time the real harassment of Florence Ballard started.

honest man
03-07-2017, 01:03 PM
The conspiracy cats are out in force today. Lol yES The usual suspect and his sidekick are on board we now need the other one to complete the thread wreck trio,same old crap.

reese
03-07-2017, 01:22 PM
I saw a silent clip from this interview once as part of a Diana profile on FASHION TV and always wondered where it was from. It is really nice to see this rare footage coming out.

PeaceNHarmony
03-07-2017, 02:04 PM
The conspiracy cats are out in force today. Lol
Ha! Maybe it's djt blaming it on Obama!! ;)

blackguy69
03-07-2017, 04:14 PM
I see the kids on both sides can't play nice

Methuselah2
03-07-2017, 11:00 PM
What a treat to see this rarity. Many thanks, Ian.

Ozmo
03-07-2017, 11:35 PM
Thanks Ian Scarlet for posting. I have never seen this clip before. I did not construe the comments by the interviewer to Florence as meant to be disrespectful. In fact when Diana took off her jacket the interviewer seemed taken aback at how painfully thin she was and the comment to Florence seemed to be his [[clumsy) way of making light of his reaction. His follow up comment to Florence seemed to be his way of drawing her into the conversation as she was sitting the furtherest away. At least Mary and Florence got to talk!

I think that we have to bear in mind that this interview took place more than 50 years ago in a less politically correct society.

Bluebrock
03-08-2017, 07:57 AM
I see the kids on both sides can't play nice
We have had peace and relative harmony on here for a few weeks. We could not possibly expect it to continue blackguy69. Hope you are keeping well.

Philles/Motown Gary
03-08-2017, 08:31 AM
Excellent interview, Ian. Thanks!

carlo
03-08-2017, 09:23 AM
Thank you for sharing! What a rare treat. I had mentioned this footage on here a couple of times, as it was listed in CBC's vault database, but it had never surfaced...until now. So glad that someone managed to get their hands on it and put it out there for all of us to enjoy :) Great interview!

marv2
03-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Thank you for sharing! What a rare treat. I had mentioned this footage on here a couple of times, as it was listed in CBC's vault database, but it had never surfaced...until now. So glad that someone managed to get their hands on it and put it out there for all of us to enjoy :) Great interview!

Carlo I would bet that the CBC has a lot of footage on not just the Supremes, but other Motown artists. I also wonder about CTV and what is in their archives. I know there is quite a bit at local Detroit stations.

mysterysinger
10-21-2018, 06:20 AM
Another thread for DRATS.

snakepit
10-21-2018, 08:45 AM
Then why bother posting on here?