PDA

View Full Version : Home stereo collection in the 60's

test

Circa 1824
02-25-2017, 09:53 PM
In my family's home growing up, we had the big stereo [[5 feet long) in the living room, and listened to music as a family.

Our record collection included the Diana Ross and the Supremes, Sammy Davis, Robert Goulet, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, the Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Sound of Music soundtrack, Blood Sweat and Tears, Chicago, Tom Jones, Sonny and Cher, and the Jefferson Airplane.

huntergettingcaptured
02-27-2017, 02:54 AM
You remind me of our big stereo- the floor console that was actually considered as a piece of furniture! I like that your family's collection spanned a pretty good distance from rock and soul to "easy listening."

We had plenty of Motown albums- but also blues, country and some rock. Looking back, my folks were fairly broad in their tastes...one day I came home to find them playing The O'Jays and then... "Jump" by Van Halen!

The thing that stands out in my memory of our stereo is that I think it's partly responsible for me having some hearing loss in one ear. I was so in love with Martha & The Vandelllas' "In My Lonely Room" that I would sit, literally with my ear pressed to the speaker trying to hear and figure out all the instruments going on that record! And I mean, I would do that for at least an hour at a time!

motony
02-27-2017, 09:29 AM
we couldn't wait for our parents to go out on Fri or Sat night so we could play our records on the "big" stereo in the living room.

arr&bee
02-27-2017, 04:03 PM
Yep..the good ol days.