PDA

View Full Version : Junie Morrison has passed!

test

jboy88
02-16-2017, 05:26 PM
Several tweets, including one from Bootsy Collins, have confirmed the grim news! I haven't heard any details about how!

marv2
02-16-2017, 06:36 PM
http://www.thefader.com/2017/02/16/junie-morrison-dead-at-62-ohio-players-p-funk

marv2
02-16-2017, 06:37 PM
From the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/02/walter_junie_morrison_founder.html

Jerry Oz
02-16-2017, 09:39 PM
Wow. I hated to read this. When I read the title of the thread, I had to make sure it wasn't the old Bernie Worrell thread bumped up with new information. Looks like 2017 is going to be as harsh as 2016 was.

marv2
02-17-2017, 12:28 AM
Wow. I hated to read this. When I read the title of the thread, I had to make sure it wasn't the old Bernie Worrell thread bumped up with new information. Looks like 2017 is going to be as harsh as 2016 was.

This is a massive loss. It has not sunken in with me yet.

daddyacey
02-17-2017, 01:39 AM
A huge loss!!! RIP JUNIE

Timmy-- You hear this!!!

splanky
02-17-2017, 06:35 AM
It often bugs the shit outta me that when today's media addresses yesterday's legacy they
distort or exaggerate the facts...Junie was NOT a founding member of The Ohio Players
just as in truth Phillip Bailey was not a founding member of EWF. The thing that makes
them so important to their group's histories is that they provided the spark that them standout
among all the other acts in the business. In Junie's case he re-shaped the OP, giving them
their first biggest hits with tracks like Funky Worm. He did the same thing in P funk, raising
them from cult status to national celebration with One Nation Under A Groove. Junie was one of the most talented musicians I've ever heard and I am very sorry to hear of his passing.
A friend of mine and I talk about him all of the time, even his solo releases which I don't know
if many have heard. RIP, Junie...Miss you like crazy,bro...

Cincinnati_Kid
02-17-2017, 03:25 PM
RIP Junie. Loved "Pain" was he on lead vocals? , and how many original OP's are left?

marv2
02-17-2017, 03:33 PM
RIP Junie. Loved "Pain" was he on lead vocals? , and how many original OP's are left?

"Pain" [[Pts. 1&2) was one of my absolute favorites.

sansradio
02-17-2017, 03:35 PM
"Ecstasy" was and is my jam. RIP.

Motown Eddie
02-17-2017, 03:37 PM

Yes; Junie Morrison did the lead vocals on "Pain" [[also did the lead vocals on "Pleasure", "Ecstasy" and the 'granny voice' on "Funky Worm"). Sorry to hear that Junie has passed on. I don't know how many of the original Ohio Players are still with us [[the only one who comes to mind right now is drummer James "Diamond" Williams who joined them back in 1973).

Motown Eddie
02-17-2017, 03:50 PM

Just checked the info on The Ohio Players and unfortunately, all of the original members of the group [[who started out in 1959 as the Ohio Untouchables) have passed on. Drummer James 'Diamond' Williams & keyboardist Billy Beck [[from the mid '70s lineup of the band) are still with us [[don't know if trombonist Marvin Pierce who joined the band in the early '70s is still here).

Cincinnati_Kid
02-17-2017, 07:54 PM
Just checked the info on The Ohio Players and unfortunately, all of the original members of the group [[who started out in 1959 as the Ohio Untouchables) have passed on. Drummer James 'Diamond' Williams & keyboardist Billy Beck [[from the mid '70s lineup of the band) are still with us [[don't know if trombonist Marvin Pierce who joined the band in the early '70s is still here).

Thx for the info.... also a favorite, "Let's do it" [[Let's love). Those horns are classic.

marv2
02-23-2017, 09:13 PM
Solange Penned A Touching Tribute To Ohio Players’ Founder Junie Morrison

http://madamenoire.com/786276/solange-tribute-junie-morrison/

Jerry Oz
02-23-2017, 09:23 PM
Yes; Junie Morrison did the lead vocals on "Pain" [[also did the lead vocals on "Pleasure", "Ecstasy" and the 'granny voice' on "Funky Worm"). Sorry to hear that Junie has passed on. I don't know how many of the original Ohio Players are still with us [[the only one who comes to mind right now is drummer James "Diamond" Williams who joined them back in 1973).I'm stupid enough to laugh out loud every time I listen to "Funky Worm". The old lady voice in it is soooo funny. There's never been song nearly as ridiculous that I like I like as much as it.

Well, other than "I Put A Spell On You".

marv2
02-23-2017, 10:25 PM
"Ecstasy" was and is my jam. RIP.

Ecstasy was another one of our favorites when I was in Jr. High. I use to play it all the time.

sansradio
02-24-2017, 01:22 AM
Believe it or not, Marv, I cadged my copy of that 45 from my step-grandfather, of all people! :D

marv2
02-24-2017, 10:06 AM
Believe it or not, Marv, I cadged my copy of that 45 from my step-grandfather, of all people! :D

Don't feel bad. I've taken old albums from my parents. That's how I got my original "Stevie 12 Year Old Genius" album. LOL!

Ecstasy was one of those records that the "older kids" played while "smoking" uh hummmm......hehehehehehehehehe!

sansradio
02-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Don't feel bad. I've taken old albums from my parents. That's how I got my original "Stevie 12 Year Old Genius" album. LOL!

Ecstasy was one of those records that the "older kids" played while "smoking" uh hummmm......hehehehehehehehehe!

Hahaaaaaaaa!!!!

timmyfunk
05-16-2017, 07:29 PM
RIP JS Theracon

splanky
05-20-2017, 09:21 AM
Actually of all of the great losses of this year, and I'm including my most influential Maurice White, Junie's passing is still kinda like the one
that bugs me to no end because to me he almost never got his due and his music is rarely discussed anywhere. The range and variety of his work on those albums Tim posted covers of is stunning. As much
as I enjoyed him in P-funk the things he did pre, like Suzie Super Groupie 's Suzie ThunderTussy and post, Bread Alone's Anna knocked
me the funk out. Later, like on 5 Junie like the rock band Genesis was
exploring a lot of what later become today's electronica. One day maybe someone will try to make better understood what his gift was...

timmyfunk
05-22-2017, 01:08 PM
I'll be posting the 12" singles momentarily. I truly regret not meeting Junie face to face. Aside from one very positive email exchange, I never really had any real correspondence with him. Definitely one of the most phenomenal musicians of the past 40 years.

kenneth
05-24-2017, 10:44 AM
Very sad news. This retrospective is now available via pre-order on Amazon. I will definitely be getting it. A very underrated artist who I agreed never got his due!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5Q7C25/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER