PDA

View Full Version : Adele stops Grammy performance,curses and starts over

test

luke
02-13-2017, 12:49 AM
What do you think? She is getting praised for starting over and apologized for cursing. She did give a stunning performance of the George Michael song Fastlove, granted... but if every live performance that wasnt perfect was started over I think it would get chaotic. She needs to curb her behavior IMO

marv2
02-13-2017, 01:27 PM
I think she is extremely overrated! I don't believe Adele can sing that well live. Someone said she was on tour in America last year. Did anyone go see her?

Whitney Houston [[Rest her soul), may have had some major issues towards the end of her 25 year career, but on the big nights like the Grammy's she always delivered! She never let technical problems or anything stop her from turning in a bombastic performance. We lost her 5 years ago as of yesterday and seeing the crap on the Grammys made miss her all the more.

moe
02-13-2017, 03:04 PM
Well I saw her in September in Detroit & she was fantastic!

luke
02-13-2017, 03:23 PM
I was thinking similar Marv. Adele wanted to also stop her Grammy performance last year and regretted she didn't. People like Whitney at her peak, Gladys, Celine..get out there and sing and there isn't all this drama.

thommg
02-13-2017, 04:14 PM
I was thinking similar Marv. Adele wanted to also stop her Grammy performance last year and regretted she didn't. People like Whitney at her peak, Gladys, Celine..get out there and sing and there isn't all this drama.

This is the second time Adele has had problems at the Grammy's. She couldn't hear the music and last year a microphone fell on the piano strings and it was out of tune. Last year she soldiered on and got criticized for it while this year she said no. I don't blame her. Frankly, that is what Mariah should have done on New Year's Eve!

She was not the only act that had sound trouble last night. Metalicca & Lady Gaga was marred by them - you couldn't even hear James Hetfield singing for the entire beginning of the song. Others had their mike's go in and out.

marv2
02-13-2017, 05:11 PM

Gladys, Celine, Aretha, Patti etc are the types that even if their bras fell off ,they would just go on and sing and give you the greatest performance possible! Every year they would have Whitney to either open those big shows or a strategic solo somewhere in the middle and she'd always knock it out of park! You felt satisfied for taking the time to watch the show. Aretha was still doing just like that at the Kennedy Center last year.

marv2
02-13-2017, 05:13 PM

Where did she play in Detroit. Do you know if she also played NYC?

luke
02-13-2017, 05:41 PM
SNL showed an old show Saturday eve and Whitney was musical guest and was just great singing I'm Your Baby tonight. It was live and she didnt stop the show or curse !

marv2
02-13-2017, 06:16 PM
SNL showed an old show Saturday eve and Whitney was musical guest and was just great singing I'm Your Baby tonight. It was live and she didnt stop the show or curse !

Check this out. This was Whitney's first major national television appearance. There were technical problems with the music not starting right, mics etc but watch how she handles it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W029a0tSyls

arr&bee
02-13-2017, 06:41 PM
Well just goes to show how our[legends]could control situations and these[new folks]can't.

marv2
02-13-2017, 06:49 PM
Well just goes to show how our[legends]could control situations and these[new folks]can't.

I totally understand this younger generation is desperate to have their own great, iconic performers but they just don't stand up to the true greats!

Guy
02-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Whitney Houston is the only performer in memory who could prompt that audience of jaded, seen-it-all professionals and industry insiders to stand for her entire prolonged performance of a ballad. Staggering to think about that now, but back then it didn't seem at all unusual.

I am thinking specifically about the Billboard Awards in 1990 or 1991 when she performed the "Loverman/My Man/All The Man That I Need" medley -- audience on its feet for the whole [[incredible) performance.

TomatoTom123
02-13-2017, 08:26 PM
Gladys, Celine, Aretha, Patti etc are the types that even if their bras fell off ,they would just go on and sing and give you the greatest performance possible! Every year they would have Whitney to either open those big shows or a strategic solo somewhere in the middle and she'd always knock it out of park!

I remember Whitney performing on the X Factor in 2009... her bra actually did fall off but she continued performing!!!

[[Ok I looked it up and it was her dress strap not her bra. But still. :))

Circa 1824
02-13-2017, 09:10 PM
Adele's drama is annoying and possibly planned.

luke
02-13-2017, 09:31 PM
Wouldn't surprise me as she made such a big deal of how she should've done it last year

marv2
02-13-2017, 10:14 PM
Hey check this out. I mean you have to see this to put things in prospective regarding what we had and what we have now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLAufSEBen0

marv2
02-13-2017, 10:15 PM
Whitney Houston is the only performer in memory who could prompt that audience of jaded, seen-it-all professionals and industry insiders to stand for her entire prolonged performance of a ballad. Staggering to think about that now, but back then it didn't seem at all unusual.

I am thinking specifically about the Billboard Awards in 1990 or 1991 when she performed the "Loverman/My Man/All The Man That I Need" medley -- audience on its feet for the whole [[incredible) performance.

I only had the pleasure of seeing Whitney in concert , in Cincinnati in 1991. She was amazing!

marv2
02-13-2017, 10:16 PM
I remember Whitney performing on the X Factor in 2009... her bra actually did fall off but she continued performing!!!

[[Ok I looked it up and it was her dress strap not her bra. But still. :))

She was, in a word.................Professional! All the great ones are like that. Something goes wrong on stage and they just keep going.

marv2
02-13-2017, 10:18 PM
Wouldn't surprise me as she made such a big deal of how she should've done it last year

It's becoming tiring. She is not on American television much at all. The last time I saw her was on last year's Grammy show. Both times left me unimpressed.

Roberta75
02-14-2017, 12:00 AM

Adele sold out the Staples Center in LA for 10 night in a row and last night she made Grammy history. Shes probably one of thetop 3 singers on the planet right now.

http://www.etonline.com/awards/grammys/210284_adele_makes_history_at_the_2017_grammys/

luke
02-14-2017, 01:38 AM
https://spinditty.com/artists-bands/Top-Ten-Greatest-Female-Singers-of-All-Time Speaking of Whitney! Not a bad list but Gladys, Dusty and Dionne belong on it.

marv2
02-14-2017, 02:56 AM
https://spinditty.com/artists-bands/Top-Ten-Greatest-Female-Singers-of-All-Time Speaking of Whitney! Not a bad list but Gladys, Dusty and Dionne belong on it.

I was surprised that Gladys or Dionne were not on the list. Whitney is the run away winner.

moe
02-14-2017, 09:26 AM
Where did she play in Detroit. Do you know if she also played NYC?

Marv, she played for two nights at the Palace of Auburn Hills right after Labor Day. She also played NYC at Madison Square Garden for 5 nights. I was eight rows from the front & I can tell you that there was no lip synching [[alluded to JLo, Brittney, & Mariah by people who had just come from Vegas & saw all 3 shows).
I'm not sure what it is. Adele performing at the Grammys doesn't seem conducive to her.

Luciano
02-14-2017, 10:21 AM
I was surprised that Gladys or Dionne were not on the list. Whitney is the run away winner.

I am sure this is about sales but I couldn't get past Janet Jackson.

luke
02-14-2017, 10:37 AM
I agree. At least they said she's not on the list because of her singing voice!

luke
02-14-2017, 10:46 AM
Got me thinking . In no order I'd say...Knight, W Houston, T Houston, Streisand, Aretha, Patti, Dusty, Dionne, C Dion, B Holiday, J Holiday, Janis, j Hudson. I'm sure I may change this in future!

sansradio
02-14-2017, 11:21 AM

Hello?!?!! Thank you! Before Diana? Unbelievable.

marv2
02-14-2017, 04:17 PM
Marv, she played for two nights at the Palace of Auburn Hills right after Labor Day. She also played NYC at Madison Square Garden for 5 nights. I was eight rows from the front & I can tell you that there was no lip synching [[alluded to JLo, Brittney, & Mariah by people who had just come from Vegas & saw all 3 shows).
I'm not sure what it is. Adele performing at the Grammys doesn't seem conducive to her.

Peforming for the Grammys is the opportunity for people who are not already fans to see and hear you. She's gotten two chances and they just weren't that exciting.......to me.

marv2
02-14-2017, 04:44 PM
I don't care how old you are or your particular tastes in music. This was the DIVA , the singer of our lifetimes..........................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MPPfkSFcPc

MIKEW-UK
02-14-2017, 05:14 PM
Luke, thanks for bringing to the fore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-U9OdBDhjothis magnificent performer ..... right up there, and indeed surpasses many! Moves me to tears every time !!

glencro
02-14-2017, 05:20 PM
I think she is extremely overrated! I don't believe Adele can sing that well live. Someone said she was on tour in America last year. Did anyone go see her?

Whitney Houston [[Rest her soul), may have had some major issues towards the end of her 25 year career, but on the big nights like the Grammy's she always delivered! She never let technical problems or anything stop her from turning in a bombastic performance. We lost her 5 years ago as of yesterday and seeing the crap on the Grammys made miss her all the more.

I agree with you Marv2. I've never understood the hype but the people seem to really love her. In fact, her tour last year earned over 168 million dollars. I know a few people who went. I was not interested at all.

MIKEW-UK
02-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Maybe it's the story of the sheeple adoring the latest thing...... as in latest soul sensation comes along, Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Joss Stone, Leona Lewis, Paloma Faith and now Adele..... there's a theme here..... or is it just me.... not saying any of them don't have talent, but the hype machine kicks in behind them and many of them never really paid their dues before getting a contract... I guess it's the lack of balance that gets me... but then nothing new here, it was the same in the 60s when soul and Motown songs were being covered in the U.K by all and sundry.... any way, listen to them in a supermarket near you...

marv2
02-14-2017, 05:44 PM
I agree with you Marv2. I've never understood the hype but the people seem to really love her. In fact, her tour last year earned over 168 million dollars. I know a few people who went. I was not interested at all.

I am just being honest. I am probably saying what a lot of people believe. I have been listening to music all of my life. I have had the great opportunity to appreciate some of the greatest of all times. I never see Adele on American TV, which is probably part of my problem.
I am not familiar with her at all. The song "Rolling into Deep" was all that I heard constantly on Long Island radio a few years back which caused me to label her a one hit wonder. I have not listen to any more of her music since.
I believe they are hyping her to fill some type of void. If the industry thinks that she is filling the "Whitney" void, then they are crazy. I'm going to have to look for some performance videos of Adele, but I just don't have any interest in her either.

moe
02-14-2017, 05:46 PM
I know we're talking about Adele BUT.......you know who kicked ass at the Grammys?

THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

marv2
02-14-2017, 05:48 PM
Maybe it's the story of the sheeple adoring the latest thing...... as in latest soul sensation comes along, Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Joss Stone, Leona Lewis, Paloma Faith and now Adele..... there's a theme here..... or is it just me.... not saying any of them don't have talent, but the hype machine kicks in behind them and many of them never really paid their dues before getting a contract... I guess it's the lack of balance that gets me...

MikeW! You said it much better than I could. You posted what I meant! It's like the flavor of the month. Initially, I did not think Beyonce would have staying power, but she has. This young guy Bruno Mars I can see being around for a good long while because of his raw talent.

We did not have Youtube or the internet when I was coming up listening to my favorite artists. With the technology available now, an unknown can become a "star" over night even without the backing of the big companies. Those that are chosen by the big companies to be promoted are hyped to the hilt and really are not that talented in my opinion.

marv2
02-14-2017, 05:49 PM
I know we're talking about Adele BUT.......you know who kicked ass at the Grammys?

THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Time tore that shit up! LOL! You know why? Because they are talented, experienced and never stopped! Love their music!

marv2
02-14-2017, 05:51 PM
Luke, thanks for bringing to the fore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-U9OdBDhjothis magnificent performer ..... right up there, and indeed surpasses many! Moves me to tears every time !!

I remember one day while I was in college. I was ironing my shirt and this song came on the radio. I froze. I listened. I got chills. Then not long after that, I saw her perform it on Saturday Night Live and I was blown away! She should have had a much bigger and varied career than she did.

luke
02-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Amen to that. I saw her and Loretta and Sheryl in the original cast of Dreamgirls and after she sang that song there was total silence for a minute and then a standing ovation for 5 minutes after we recovered!

Luciano
02-14-2017, 09:28 PM
Got me thinking . In no order I'd say...Knight, W Houston, T Houston, Streisand, Aretha, Patti, Dusty, Dionne, C Dion, B Holiday, J Holiday, Janis, j Hudson. I'm sure I may change this in future!

Now that's is great female singers. Thanks Luke.

TomatoTom123
02-14-2017, 09:42 PM
I am not familiar with her at all. The song "Rolling into Deep" was all that I heard constantly on Long Island radio a few years back which caused me to label her a one hit wonder. I have not listen to any more of her music since.

Wow, really? Here in the UK she seems pretty popular [[and successful). I have heard lots of her songs played on the radio. I don't really like them that much... most of them are just miserable and annoying [[hehe) but I can think of worse songs out there. I do like "Rolling In The Deep" however [[it is less miserable and annoying, lol) and so did Aretha as she covered it for her 2014 Great Diva Classics album! [[Please enjoy my random fact and corresponding video below ;))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNWeGngQqOI&app=desktop

TomatoTom123
02-14-2017, 09:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNWeGngQqOI&app=desktop

WOW
I hadn't listened to this in a while and did not realise the extent to which auto tune was [[badly) used. It's really noticeable, especially at the beginning, but does kinda get better as the song goes on. I think.

marv2
02-14-2017, 11:41 PM
WOW
I hadn't listened to this in a while and did not realise the extent to which auto tune was [[badly) used. It's really noticeable, especially at the beginning, but does kinda get better as the song goes on. I think.

She does it better live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k5acPIi0f8

marv2
02-14-2017, 11:55 PM
fugetabouti!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ifw8JhDBvs

marv2
02-14-2017, 11:56 PM
I found a clip of Adele on American TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbF8gAtUq1A

arr&bee
02-22-2017, 04:19 PM
fugetabouti!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ifw8jhdbvswe can end this debate right now,after the queen sings everybody else...sit down!!

luke
02-22-2017, 05:21 PM
You got that right tho no video there. Try this one of the Queen's. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pkkMKOZHOcw

marv2
02-22-2017, 05:35 PM
we can end this debate right now,after the queen sings everybody else...sit down!!

You better know it!

marv2
02-22-2017, 05:36 PM
You got that right tho no video there. Try this one of the Queen's. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pkkMKOZHOcw

Luke it's an angel singing through thunder and lightning!

marv2
02-22-2017, 05:37 PM
Even her album cuts were majestic! If you were around in 1976, you remember this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJaLOGzBaXg

Bluebrock
02-22-2017, 05:49 PM
I like Adele. What you see is what you get. There are no airs and graces about her. She is the same girl she was when i first met her around 2006. She may not be everyones cup of tea but i rate her. I could really go to town about the behaviour of some of the great divas mentioned in this thread but i shall refrain. Some of them gave me nightmares from which i shall never recover. I agree that many of todays stars do not match up but Adele is a one off. \A maverick. She sings and writes songs from the heart. They are personal and heartfelt, and she puts a great deal of emotion into her performances because she is singing about her life and her experiences. Iapplaud her.

Bluebrock
02-22-2017, 06:10 PM
I totally agree. How can someone with such a poor voice sell all those records. Her live performances were lip synched and she quite simply refused to sing live for the simple reason that she was not capable. I worked with her on one of her first visits to the UK, She "performed" lets wait a while on top of the pops and kept fluffing it even though she was miming to the song. It took her over 5 hours to do it to a satisfactory standard. I could not believe how unprepared and unprofessional she was. She was a pleasant enough person albeit rather distant , but i could not respect someone with zero musical talent. I am still astounded by her great success, but not in a good way.

Bluebrock
02-22-2017, 06:12 PM
I would say Anita Baker belongs here too. She may be an absolute bitch but there is no denying her awesome musical talent. I would also include Mavis Staples and Regina Belle.

Bluebrock
02-23-2017, 01:22 PM
I would say Anita Baker belongs here too. She may be an absolute bitch but there is no denying her awesome musical talent. I would also include Mavis Staples and Regina Belle.
And how could we forget the wonderful Sarah Vaughan, and the magnificent Patti Austin who have to be up there with the very best, and two personal left field favourites of mine Ms Millie Jackson and the woefully underrated Randy Crawford.

sansradio
02-23-2017, 02:57 PM
And how could we forget the wonderful Sarah Vaughan, and the magnificent Patti Austin who have to be up there with the very best, and two personal left field favourites of mine Ms Millie Jackson and the woefully underrated Randy Crawford.

Oh, my God, yes for Patti Austin!!!! Such a magnificent instrument she has. She's one of those artists who sound "better than the record" live. So versatile as well...can sing the phone book...and has [[I'm thinking of her massive jingles career in the 70s and 80s)! As a matter of fact, I co-sign all the ladies you mentioned!

Bluebrock
02-24-2017, 02:04 PM
Oh, my God, yes for Patti Austin!!!! Such a magnificent instrument she has. She's one of those artists who sound "better than the record" live. So versatile as well...can sing the phone book...and has [[I'm thinking of her massive jingles career in the 70s and 80s)! As a matter of fact, I co-sign all the ladies you mentioned!
Thank you sansradio! Patti Austin is just the best.I remember buying her CTI albums "end of the rainbow1"and "havana candy" in the 70's. The diction and clarity of that voice just mesmerised me. I have bought everything she has recorded and as you rightly say her live performances are even better than the studio recording . She also happens to be one of the funniest people i have ever met. Sorry for going off topic here but Patti is just the best!