PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget the Motorcity dvds

test

luke
01-27-2017, 12:35 AM
http://www.wienerworld.com/don-t-forget-the-motorcity.html. Has anyone viewed these?

marv2
01-27-2017, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I posted the ones they had up on Youtube here about a year ago. I was with Ian Levine and Mrs. Esther Gordy Edwards the night he was video taping them back in 1990. I asked him then would they be made available here in America and he said no1 He said they were being produced for foreign markets only. I started to kick him,but Mrs. Edwards was with me, hehehehehehehehe!

theboyfromxtown
01-27-2017, 02:12 AM
I can well understand how you feel. When I asked TB Lubinsky about being able to get his PBS shows in the UK, I got a similar answer.

Fortunately the internet has opened up these former "border controls" and newer fans should be able to eventually see most of them on youtube as time passes

A lot of them are already on youtube.

lakeside
01-27-2017, 10:14 AM
Go read amazon reviews on this before buying. Wish I had.

lockhartgary
01-27-2017, 12:24 PM
I just read the Amazon reviews. This one takes the cake. Bold type mine:

"This Dvd is not what you think it should be! This is not a copulation of these Motown groups best hits, but rather some of there hits that most of you won't remember. I was very disappointed and have only watched it one time. I wouldn't waste my money on this one."

lakeside
01-27-2017, 12:30 PM
I just read the Amazon reviews. Ths one takes the cake. Bold type mine:

"This Dvd is not what you think it should be! This is not a copulation of these Motown groups best hits, but rather some of there hits that most of you won't remember. I was very disappointed and have only watched it one time. I wouldn't waste my money on this one."
That's hilarious.....but, he did nail it on his last sentence. I own it and it's sad, at best.

lockhartgary
01-27-2017, 01:45 PM
I have never been a fan of the Ian Levine stuff. It's nice to see the performers, but that's where the interest ends for me.

lakeside
01-27-2017, 02:07 PM
This review totally summed it up for me.

Dear Lord what a mess. Everything is [[poorly) lip-synched...nothing LIVE....barely the artist! A couple artists looked like they were filmed in a broom closet and it was hard to make them out from the brooms! A couple of the women looked like they had been rolled in a vat of glitter. A sad ending to what was once glorious. I don't want to remember these wonderful artists like this. After watching this....I truly felt depressed.

luke
01-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Bravo to Ian Levine for all he did to have us see these artists again. It was a labor of love

Bluebrock
01-27-2017, 04:53 PM
Bravo to Ian Levine for all he did to have us see these artists again. It was a labor of love
He tried to do a good job here. Don't tell me you were not excited when you heard about the motorcity project. It was a hit and miss affair for sure but as a result we got to hear the likes of Jean Terrell, David Ruffin, Billy Griffin etc cutting strong tunes. There was a lot of dross i agree but Ian put a hell of a lot of time, effort and money into the project only to be let down badly by certain artists who were too busy doing other things rather than fulfilling a contract that they had already been paid an advance for, As regards these dvds they are dreadful and are best avoided at all costs.

luke
01-27-2017, 06:35 PM
Didn't he mortgage his house?

Bluebrock
01-28-2017, 08:03 AM
Didn't he mortgage his house?
Yes he did Luke, and whilst most of the artists he worked with were a joy to be around there were also a few that were not quite so pleasant to work with. You may or may not be surprised to hear that one such artist is often mentioned on here. Wait for my book.........

144man
01-28-2017, 08:36 PM
He also had to put his copy of the Andantes' "[[Like A) Nightmare" up for sale.