PDA

View Full Version : Marvin and his Girls

test

luke
01-19-2017, 09:58 PM
I'm just wondering if Kim Weston had stayed at Motown would she have recorded Aint No Mt High Enough etc with him or was Tammi already waiting in the wings? Was she signed after Kim left? I assume it may have been all Mary Wells if she had stayed. Was Brenda ever considered?

midnightman
01-19-2017, 10:43 PM
Tammi was already waiting in the wings. I think Kim left Motown when It Takes Two was released...or finished, I forget which. Tammi was already a Motown artist by a year and she recorded a "solo" version in late '66 before Marvin added his vocals in January '67 [[if my timeline is right, I may be way off; I know they didn't record together on that song at least).

Also, Motown wanted Marvin to record with virtually every other Motown female solo artist that was available. Motown's decision to partner Marvin with Mary was a business decision to not only increase Marvin's female fan base but also to increase his popularity with white fans, who ate Mary Wells' music up [["My Guy" hit #1 around the time they worked on the duet album). After Marvin found a crossover fan base, they did a turnaround to boost Kim's career but she was so frustrated with Motown she left before the song became a charted international hit and Marvin only did one TV performance of the song [[with a PUPPET!).

Brenda MIGHT have been considered since she did sing with Marvin onstage after Tammi's near-fatal collapse [[during a busy 1968 for Marvin).

luke
01-19-2017, 11:18 PM
Good info. Thanks

mysterysinger
01-20-2017, 02:49 PM
Not forgetting Marvin's duets with Oma Heard which I think came after Mary Wells but before Kim Weston.

arr&bee
01-20-2017, 03:44 PM
It would've been fun to get marvin and martha in the studio.

mysterysinger
01-20-2017, 04:06 PM
It would've been fun to get marvin and martha in the studio.

They often did - with The Vandellas providing backup on several Marvin songs.

mysterysinger
01-20-2017, 04:07 PM
I like this one by Marvin and Oma Heard [[ignore the reference to Oma Page in the video - this is Oma Heard).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w1Uzlnc2eg

arr&bee
01-20-2017, 04:18 PM
they often did - with the vandellas providing backup on several marvin songs.i know,i'm talking about a duet.

luke
01-20-2017, 08:24 PM
Have all the Marvin and Mary and Kim recordings been released?

detmotownguy
01-20-2017, 11:01 PM
Tammi was already waiting in the wings. I think Kim left Motown when It Takes Two was released...or finished, I forget which. Tammi was already a Motown artist by a year and she recorded a "solo" version in late '66 before Marvin added his vocals in January '67 [[if my timeline is right, I may be way off; I know they didn't record together on that song at least).

Also, Motown wanted Marvin to record with virtually every other Motown female solo artist that was available. Motown's decision to partner Marvin with Mary was a business decision to not only increase Marvin's female fan base but also to increase his popularity with white fans, who ate Mary Wells' music up [["My Guy" hit #1 around the time they worked on the duet album). After Marvin found a crossover fan base, they did a turnaround to boost Kim's career but she was so frustrated with Motown she left before the song became a charted international hit and Marvin only did one TV performance of the song [[with a PUPPET!).

Brenda MIGHT have been considered since she did sing with Marvin onstage after Tammi's near-fatal collapse [[during a busy 1968 for Marvin).

Good history! Did Diane sing BG on Marvin's Wonderful One?

luke
01-21-2017, 01:27 AM
All of the Supremes [[ not Barbara) sang background on it.

midnightman
01-21-2017, 11:30 AM
Good history! Did Diane sing BG on Marvin's Wonderful One?

Yup. Sure did [[all three Supremes).