PDA

View Full Version : Marvin v Drifters

test

masterblaster
01-04-2017, 11:41 AM
I was given a copy of the Marvin Gaye volume 2 box set for Christmas and am enjoying listening to the old sixties albums, some of which I am hearing for the first time.
On the "In The Groove" and "MPG" albums, Marvin recorded three cover versions of Drifters tracks, "Some Kind Of Wonderful", "There Goes My Baby" and "This Magic Moment" all completed on 14th June 1966 and produce by Michal Gentile.
Are there any other tracks recorded in the same session and were there any plans to record an album of Drifters covers at that time?

honest man
01-07-2017, 06:32 AM
I was given a copy of the Marvin Gaye volume 2 box set for Christmas and am enjoying listening to the old sixties albums, some of which I am hearing for the first time.
On the "In The Groove" and "MPG" albums, Marvin recorded three cover versions of Drifters tracks, "Some Kind Of Wonderful", "There Goes My Baby" and "This Magic Moment" all completed on 14th June 1966 and produce by Michal Gentile.
Are there any other tracks recorded in the same session and were there any plans to record an album of Drifters covers at that time? Yes i have also wondered about these 3 songs being part of a Drifters project i really do love these songs Marvin Shines on them although they don't beat the original versions[which can never be beaten],i would love to hear more of Marvin covering the Drifters and thanks for bringing it up,i have often thought about these songs but never got 'round to asking,cheers.

Bluebrock
01-07-2017, 08:05 AM
Are there any other tracks recorded in the same session and were there any plans to record an album of Drifters covers at that time?
There are several hidden treasures in Marvin's 60's albums. Sure there is a lot of "filler" tracks but Marvin shines on each and every song.I do believe there are more tracks in the vault from this period but am not sure if there are further Drifters covers. It sounds legitimate that a proposed covers album of Drifters songs was suggested. Hopefully any such tracks still hidden away will one day surface.