PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross & the Supremes Live at the Roostertail 1966 Full Concert

test

jobeterob
01-03-2017, 07:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve-YXNBlbpk

jobeterob
01-03-2017, 07:34 PM
I just heard the People part of this concert. It is a song that I think sucks and isn't a favorite. But it seems to me I heard all three of them in there doing a great job.

franjoy56
01-03-2017, 08:24 PM
The best concert of the original supremes t vocals dont get any better. I love interplay between ross wilson and especially ballard

REDHOT
01-04-2017, 12:13 AM
Thanks for sharing this Jobetrob,who ever put this together,did a great job,i think this is better then The Copa,Mary Florence and Diana sound great together,back in the day,love it.

luke
01-04-2017, 12:14 AM
I couldn't stand the speed of Come See About Me. Sounds like a duet between Mary and Diana!

jobeterob
01-04-2017, 01:05 AM
I just happened to see this today

I only listened to a few minutes and I've always preferred the studio work to the live work

But it reminded me of the time prior to all of them becoming so famous and being dragged through the mud

marv2
01-04-2017, 01:05 AM
The title of the video, the name of the group when this concert was performed in Detroit was "The Supremes!"

longtimefan
01-04-2017, 01:49 AM
Is this the same Roostertail show included on the expanded edition of "I Hear a Symphony?"

jobeterob
01-04-2017, 02:32 AM
I wondered as well. Bet it is.

Still, was nice to hear them work together so well. At their best, they were groundbreakers and leaders in the early years.

Circa 1824
01-04-2017, 12:58 PM
i prefer Diana's vocal and humor on the Copa album.

floyjoy678
01-04-2017, 01:41 PM
I loved it when the Supremes did People, to each their own. I couldn't stand Michelle or Let There Be Love. I'd add Queen of the House in there too but Flo's ad-libs saves it. As someone else mentioned the opening of Come See About Me is way too fast and sounds like Flo's mic was off. Other than that it's a good show to listen to see how far Diana, Mary and Florence [[not Diana Ross and the Supremes) had come professionally.

luke
01-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Good point Marv! Thought same thing

marv2
01-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Good point Marv! Thought same thing

Thanks Luke. I would think everyone on this forum knows that they were The Supremes and not Diana Ross & the Supremes.

luke
01-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Rewriting history can be subtle but accuracy and truth impt! It wasn't Paul McCsrtney and the Beatles!

REDHOT
01-04-2017, 05:04 PM
You are so right Marv, you can't rewrite history,they were The Supremes.

detmotownguy
01-04-2017, 06:05 PM
In agree with you on the vocals. At times Diane seems horse during live performances. I wish they used Flos comedic abilities a bit more on stage. She was a natural. Mary sounds great. I like when all 3 sing together...meant to be.

Circa 1824
01-04-2017, 07:30 PM
Speaking for myself, the name of the group was unimportant. The Supremes or Diana Ross and the Supremes was only about that one voice, that one smile, that one person's magic. I knew there were two ladies behind her, but my love and interest was only about one of those three ladies. And, for me, nothing changed when Flo left and Cindy came in. I think Berry realized this Diana phenomenon, and the rest is history.

marv2
01-04-2017, 07:47 PM
You are so right Marv, you can't rewrite history,they were The Supremes.

Thank you Redhot. I still love and respect Florence Ballard and of course Mary.

marv2
01-04-2017, 07:48 PM
In agree with you on the vocals. At times Diane seems horse during live performances. I wish they used Flos comedic abilities a bit more on stage. She was a natural. Mary sounds great. I like when all 3 sing together...meant to be.

They did have some of the best harmonies.

marv2
01-04-2017, 07:51 PM
Speaking for myself, the name of the group was unimportant. The Supremes or Diana Ross and the Supremes was only about that one voice, that one smile, that one person's magic. I knew there were two ladies behind her, but my love and interest was only about one of those three ladies. And, for me, nothing changed when Flo left and Cindy came in. I think Berry realized this Diana phenomenon, and the rest is history.

A whole lot changed when Florence Ballard was kicked out. The hits stop coming regularly, the sound changed and some fans left...... The Supremes were never about just one voice. They were vocal GROUP and as everyone here knows and have said, you cannot rewrite history because we all now know the facts in front and behind the scenes.

vgalindo
01-04-2017, 07:56 PM

I agree 100%.

luke
01-04-2017, 10:53 PM
As Berry said Mary was the heart and soul of the Supremes so even he thought Mary was a key to their success.

jobeterob
01-05-2017, 12:26 AM
As Berry said Mary was the heart and soul of the Supremes so even he thought Mary was a key to their success.

He said she couldn't even sing!

marv2
01-05-2017, 05:57 AM

She he said that in public in front of huge crowds. He also said it in his book.

biggestfourtops fan
01-05-2017, 05:58 AM
Way too many standards in their live shows. Not enough NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES, MOTHER DEAR, THE ONLY TIME I'M HAPPY type songs.

marv2
01-05-2017, 05:59 AM
He said she couldn't even sing!

Yet, he had her under contract to his company and with his top group! He had her signed to Motown for nearly 20 years. I am intelligent, so I know he did not mean that comment.

REDHOT
01-05-2017, 07:11 AM
Berry Gordy knows Mary Wilson can sing,i'v seen him at Mary's shows many times,i'm sure if he really thought she couldn't sing,he would never go to her shows,and support her. people can be so nasty smh.

marv2
01-05-2017, 07:34 AM
Berry Gordy knows Mary Wilson can sing,i'v seen him at Mary's shows many times,i'm sure if he really thought she couldn't sing,he would never go to her shows,and support her. people can be so nasty smh.

He said that Florence was fat, Mary you know you can't sing, etc so that they would no longer offer resistance to his efforts to make Diana Ross a solo star! That is the truth.

luke
01-05-2017, 10:52 AM
Exactly Marv. And when Mary ended up singing lead at Motown 25 , even when usurping his girl,he told her she could sing! and in his biography he said she has a good voice!

REDHOT
01-06-2017, 04:36 AM
Hey you guys were right,this Live Show is on The Supremes I Hear A Symphony The Expanded Edition cd set, i'v had it for years,and didn't know,i guess i never listen to both cd's lol