PDA

View Full Version : Is There Anyone Else Who Hates The Way "Dr." Phil Handled Ted Williams?

test

juicefree20
01-13-2011, 08:18 PM
From the "WHAT ELSE IS NEW" Department...

Off & on, I've been watching Dr. Phil & the sage of The Williams Family. As expected, "Dr." Phil's offer of help, has involved into a damn mini-series & I find his behavior as a "professional" to be abbhorent.

On Day One, he acknowledged that this man, about 16 minutes fresh from homelessness, was at risk. He "worried" about him. Yet, just yesterday, he turned to this vulnerable man, pointing at him & telling him how he had caused his family a lot of pain.

Today, he pulls this ambush on him, having his family expose how he had been drinking the whole time that Phil had them in town for the taping of the mini-series/reality-show/intervention.

Phil then turns up the heat even higher under the skillet by exposing to the world how this man had missed appointments & had been lying to him the entire time.

My question is simple...

If "Dr." Phil was so worried about this man's sobriety, so concerned about helping him, then why in the hell would he expose all of this to an entire world, ESPECIALLY with people interested in offering him employment watching in?

Why wouldn't "Dr." Phil respect the tenets of "Dr./Patient" confidentiality & let Ted [[as well as his family) work all of this out AWAY from the white-hot lights of the press & out of the sight of the prying eyes of the world...a world that has never seen a train-wreck that they wouldn't watch?

Do you believe that "Dr." Phil is displaying responsible behavior, or is he just another schlock who would pimp an obviously troubled man & his family for ratings gold?

Personally, I believe that if we were truly concerned about Ted & his future, he'd have taped his episodes, sent the man to rehab, then aired them AFTER Ted had either bugun the healing process, or decided to implode.

But then again, by that time, it's likely that America would've move on to THE NEXT "Plookey", "Dookey" or "Dopey" & Ted would have no more value to him, nor his ratings.

All that I can say is that listening & watching "Dr." Phil today, disgusted me. He should be ashamed because no REAL doctor, claiming to be concerned about the welfare of a vulnerable patient, would've handled any of this situation in the manner as this "not-so-good", "doctor" did.

I'm only glad that Ted wasn't perched on the ledge of a building, as the tactics employed by "Dr. Phil", weren't exactly textbook as regards saving lives, nor those whom are vulnerable & may crash or crack under pressure.

"Doctor", my ass!

abfan
01-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Juice scroll down a few topics.We were all over this topic and Pimp Daddy Dr Phil

marv2
01-13-2011, 10:04 PM
First of all, I had not been watching the Dr. Phil episodes with Ted Williams but my mom has and she's called twice all excited and telling me about it! So, I decided to catch it this evening and Juice you are right! I was embarassed for Ted the way Dr. Phil was talking to him like he was a child or a wayward teenager! It clearly had something to do with ratings.

I wouldn't go as far as to call Dr. Phil a schlock, hehehehehe! My Dad use to watch him all the time when he was living and just like my mom, he would bring up "what Dr. Phil said " on one of his shows! I'll admit it use to annoy me somewhat.

I do not agree with him putting Ted Williams & Family on blast like that ,but they evidently were willing participants in the whole matter. I have never been one to believe in giving your doctor all power when it comes to treatment, advice or what have you. My doctor and I have an equal, mutual respect relationship ,sometimes it is severely adversarial But that is wayyyy off subject. LOL!

I am sure Dr. Phil was looking down on Ted Williams, I am also pretty sure he wants to help this man [[as well as himself through his television program). I just have a problem with the way he talked to him today and how all the sordid details of the private matters of Ted and his family have been put out there on display to the World.

Kamasu_Jr
01-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Dr. Phil's ass was on the line. He got involved in Ted Williams' life and the truth got out. I knew Ted was lying about being sober two years. Like most junkies, he has mastered the habit of telling people what they want to hear--conning them. Dr. Phil had to get Ted to agree to rehab because if he had not gone, Ted would have blown it. He sqUirmed and tried to postpone rehab and only agreed to go after a brief stop back in Ohio. Media reports say some other Tv person tried to get Ted to take $20,000 AND ENTER ANOTHER REHAB PROGRAM-NOT OF Dr. PHIL's choosing- WHERE CAMERAS WOULD BE ALLOWED [[SOUNDS LIKE DR. DREW). TED HAD TO BE TALKED INTO TURNING THAT OFFER DOWN

stephanie
01-14-2011, 08:08 PM
I dont care if Ted was sober or not! All of his problems, demons, whatever you want to call them should be dealt with behind closed doors. Since this man is getting tons of offers and even a house he doesnt need to be put in a window that we can see through when his hand gets caught in the "cookie jar" namely drugs or alcohol. Problems can be detrimental to his future and he doesnt need millions of voyeurs or papparazzi waiting for the time bomb to go off. If he so much as slips up [[which many do) he will be all over the news and his career will be over. Ted I know you are not reading this but please please tell your agent not to let your counseling be a public matter your future is at stake.

smark21
01-14-2011, 10:36 PM
I dont care if Ted was sober or not! All of his problems, demons, whatever you want to call them should be dealt with behind closed doors. Since this man is getting tons of offers and even a house he doesnt need to be put in a window that we can see through when his hand gets caught in the "cookie jar" namely drugs or alcohol. Problems can be detrimental to his future and he doesnt need millions of voyeurs or papparazzi waiting for the time bomb to go off. If he so much as slips up [[which many do) he will be all over the news and his career will be over. Ted I know you are not reading this but please please tell your agent not to let your counseling be a public matter your future is at stake.

I wouldn't be shocked if Dr. Drew Pinsky is going to try to book him for Celebrity Rehab.

reese
01-14-2011, 10:54 PM
I must say I am somewhat disappointed with Dr. Phil's handling of this situation. Not so much because of his treatment of Ted and his family. He exposed some hard truths,e.g. members of the family actually buying liquor, Ted not being sober,etc. All of them look as if they could use some tough love. And on the plus side, he has finally gotten Ted into rehab.

I just think that someone of Dr. Phil's stature should know that none of this should be played out in a public forum. Even a novice like myself knows that before any deal was signed, the man needed to go into a rehab facility. And not one of these 30 day programs. Ted needs extensive help. Hell, a sober person would need extensive help if they were experiencing what he is currently going through. And it doesn't help knowing that people are just waiting for him to fail. Less than two weeks ago, this man was homeless. Within days, he was fielding job offers from around the world, appearing on every network, being flown cross-country with barely a minute to himself, not to mention the reunions with his mother, and his kids. The dude is under an enormous amount of pressure. I just hope he doesn't crack.

ms_m
01-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Interesting conversation. I'm sure you all know Mr. Williams probably had to sign a waiver to appear on the show which means he gave up all sense of privacy from the beginning. I also read that one of the voice over announcers that helped him get his SAG card tried to get him into a rehab program and Mr. Williams had several excuses for missing the meetings.

Reese I think you hit the nail on the head about tough love and sometimes tough love means you are ripped down to your core, including losing your privacy. Been there done that so I KNOW what I'm talking about.

I refuse to judge Dr Phil anymore than I refuse to judge Mr. Williams. Mr Williams needs help and if exposing the truth of his circumstances forces him to accept that help, Dr Phil was right on the money.

I wish him the best. In terms of the way this entire matter transpired, I blame his handlers more than anyone else. Before they let things get this far, if they cared more about Mr. Williams than making money off of him, they would have insisted he seek help or at least had him checked out before they sent him on this world wind media binge.

Ultimately though, the only person that can be responsible for Ted Williams is the man himself. He's not a kid, he's a grown man. If he is ever going to beat this thing he will have to take full responsibility for the things that he allows to happen to him. He can beat the drugs and whatever else that feeds his addiction but having an addictive personality is something he will have to live with for the rest of his life. How he deals with it will be his choice to make. He can allow himself to be lead, or he can call the shots for his own life.

mark speck
01-16-2011, 03:20 PM
The guy's an idiot of the highest order, but I think at this point, his 'schtick' is so well-known that anyone appearing on his show should know what to expect.

Best,

Mark

Motown_M_1056
01-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Ted Williams told Dr. Phil that he used drugs and drank alcohol during his short trip back to Columbus before going to rehab. But Dr. Phil is hopefu Ted can be rehabilitated.