PDA

View Full Version : Rare Footage of Diana Ross in Concert, Phoenix 1979

test

sansradio
12-21-2016, 08:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9hj8FiDTyI&list=WL

reese
12-21-2016, 08:23 PM
Great footage. It brings back so many memories of when I saw her during this tour.

sansradio
12-22-2016, 12:00 AM
You are one lucky man, Reese. What's especially gratifying for me is seeing snippets of songs that were cut from the HBO special.

midnightman
12-22-2016, 01:42 AM
Wow. Talk about rare! Go Miss Ross!

glencro
12-22-2016, 05:27 AM
THIS IS GREAT...thanx for sharing

sansradio
12-22-2016, 07:55 AM
THIS IS GREAT...thanx for sharing

You got it, glencro!

reese
12-22-2016, 10:39 AM
You are one lucky man, Reese. What's especially gratifying for me is seeing snippets of songs that were cut from the HBO special.

I saw it in April of 1979, before THE BOSS was released. So it was somewhat different from what was on the HBO special. Although I wasn't lucky enough to see her perform TO LOVE AGAIN in a big red shoe, as I heard happened when the show first premiered in '78.

sansradio
12-22-2016, 10:58 AM
I saw it in April of 1979, before THE BOSS was released. So it was somewhat different from what was on the HBO special. Although I wasn't lucky enough to see her perform TO LOVE AGAIN in a big red shoe, as I heard happened when the show first premiered in '78.

Ah, yes, with the fabulous Joe Layton staging.

reese
12-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Ah, yes, with the fabulous Joe Layton staging.

From what I've read, the big red shoe was used during her Universal Ampitheatre engagement in 1978. Did Joe Layton stage that one? I know he directed the AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS presentation. I believe David Winters staged Tour '79.

sansradio
12-22-2016, 12:16 PM
From what I've read, the big red shoe was used during her Universal Ampitheatre engagement in 1978. Did Joe Layton stage that one? I know he directed the AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS presentation. I believe David Winters staged Tour '79.

I believe so, according to either Taraborrelli or Geoff Brown.

daviddh
12-24-2016, 05:59 PM
didn't know she performed To Love Again at this show. anyone know of any other songs that were cut??

daviddh
12-24-2016, 06:06 PM
this needs a xpanded edition

midnightman
12-24-2016, 09:11 PM
By the way, she looks so SUPER DIVA in this footage. Like you can see why she's larger than life.

sansradio
12-24-2016, 11:05 PM
By the way, she looks so SUPER DIVA in this footage. Like you can see why she's larger than life.

Absolutely, midnightman! I also think that her hair pulled back with the chignon is her best, most flattering look. I wish she'd rock that look nowadays; it's the Diana I fell in love with at 7 years old.

reese
12-25-2016, 11:37 AM
didn't know she performed To Love Again at this show. anyone know of any other songs that were cut??

When I saw the show, she also sang GETTIN' READY FOR LOVE, LOVIN', LIVIN' AND GIVIN', SOON AS I GET HOME, I CRIED FOR YOU, GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE, THEM THERE EYES, and YOU WERE THE ONE.

I think most of these were dropped when THE BOSS was released and she revamped the show that was filmed for HBO. GETTIN' READY was still in the show, but was edited out of the HBO special.

daviddh
12-25-2016, 03:47 PM
Reese.thank you for that info. Loved this show but not a big fan of Wanna be bad. But she is in fine voice here. My favorite era.

Bluebrock
12-25-2016, 03:53 PM
Reese.thank you for that info. Loved this show but not a big fan of Wanna be bad. But she is in fine voice here. My favorite era.
I do not know why they cut "getting ready for love" from the HBO special . I have seen the outtake and she performed it wonderfully. I agree that Diana was at her best during this period. It all turned a little sour for me once she left Motown but here you can see just why she was regarded as one of the world's finest female performers.

daviddh
12-25-2016, 10:18 PM
bluebrock, I would have kept GRFL and dropped the Bad song. with so many great DR songs, she doesn't need to sing other songs but her own.
maybe one day we will get the expanded version.
btw, there is a soundtrack cd of this which has become my favorite DR live set. i wish I would have seen this show personally. my friend told me it was one of the best shows he has ever seen and that Diana was amazing and stunning. I think vocally she is a t her peak her.