PDA

View Full Version : Michael & Elizabeth

test

jobeterob
12-15-2016, 08:26 PM
Anybody ever read this book?

I scanned it at a book store and it seems to be factual reporting, documentary style - not sensationalist writing.

Any comment from anyone that read it?

sansradio
12-16-2016, 11:33 AM
I have not read this, jobeterob, but I am intrigued. The author, Donald Bogle, is kind of an idol of mine; he's one of the foremost authorities on African-American film history. I find this to be an interesting, unexpected departure for him; he's written bios of Dorothy Dandridge and Ethel Waters, as well as other in-depth general works about the presence of African-Americans in film and TV. I had the pleasure of talking with him for about an hour in my college days. This should definitely be a worthy read!

jobeterob
12-19-2016, 12:57 AM
I've only started after a quick scan

What made me buy it after scanning it in the bookstore is that it is national enquirer style journalism-this looks professional

Will let you know after I read some

Jaap
12-19-2016, 03:16 AM
Donald Bogle is indeed highly respected in film studies. In addition to the books mentioned above, he has written Brown Sugar, about the history of black female superstars, which was also a PBS documentary in the 1980s, narrated by Billy Dee Williams. In 2007, Bogle did an update of the book. Highly recommended, as all of his work.

sansradio
12-19-2016, 08:19 AM
Donald Bogle is indeed highly respected in film studies. In addition to the books mentioned above, he has written Brown Sugar, about the history of black female superstars, which was also a PBS documentary in the 1980s, narrated by Billy Dee Williams. In 2007, Bogle did an update of the book. Highly recommended, as all of his work.

Brown Sugar was my introduction to his work; I discovered it at 9 years old. It's been an elemental inspiration.