PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Locations that still exist!

test

PSansom
12-12-2016, 07:50 AM
Hi gang,

Hope all is well and festive.

As I have mentioned on a previous thread, we are making a feature length documentary on Motown, Berry Gordy is an Exec Producer and we are trying to get as many interviews with living Motown legends both in front of the cameras and behind the scenes.

We are going to be shooting in Detroit in the New Year, and I just want to get everyones suggestions of location shooting that should be included. Obviously we will be spending a lot of time in Hitsville, but we'd also like to revisit other relevant locations and film them - even if they're a bit rough or derelict. We will have a drone crew with us - we want to get some great aerials of Detroit as it stands now.

The location list I have so far [[aside from the various residences of Smokey et al) are...

Hitsville

Ford Motor Factory

Brewster Wheeler Recreation Center

United Sound Systems Recording Studios

Motown Mansion [[Gordy’s Mansion from 1967)

The Fox Theatre

The Roostertail

The Brewster Housing Projects

Are there any other musical venues or places of interest that might be worth us seeing and filming? Locations that represent the foundation and early days of Motown.

As ever, I am hugely thankful for any input or advice that you guys provide.

Much Motown love,

Pip

stingbeelee
12-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Hi Pip;
Another location is Marvin Gaye's house on W. Outer Drive and Monica. It was also where Berry Gordy lived. That house was where the "What's Going On" process was hatched out.

woodward
12-12-2016, 08:01 PM
You might want to incorporate the Golden World/Ric Tic/Wingate conglomerate locations as follows:
11801 12th Street
4039 Buena Vista
3246 West Davison [[this is no longer there)

J&W 4031 Glendale

I also have the addresses of 15 different homes that were owned by Motown artists. If you are interested in these, I will be pleased to list them. The source of them is Home in Detroit published by the Motor City Blight Busters. Let me know and I will gladly post them.

robb_k
12-12-2016, 11:04 PM
Is the house at 1719 Gladstone still standing? That was the home of Ray-Ber Music Services, as well as Tamla Records' first address. I checked Google Street View, and it is now a vacant lot, overgrown with weeds. :[[

Anyone know where Bristoe [[Bristol) Bryant's recording studio was located? - And if that building still is standing? That was where Berry Gordy had his Ray-Ber Recordings and early Tamla demos and a few recordings made.

Carmen Murphy's House of Beauty [[beauty shop) at 111 Mack St. It's basement was where Berry produced Herman Griffin's "I Need You"/"I'm So Glad I Learned To Do The Cha Cha" for Mrs. Murphy's House of Beauty Records in late 1958. Those were the first 2 songs he recorded that were published by his own Jobete Music. I just checked Google Street View, and there's a Whole Foods Market there now. :[[

woodward
12-13-2016, 09:50 AM
I do know for a fact that 1719 Gladstone is no longer. In a visit there prior to the year 2000, I took some pictures of the actual house. It was still standing with some structural damage to the side. I returned maybe a year later and it was totally demolished.

I would be willing to provide Pip a picture of the structure before it was demolished if he would like one to use.