PDA

View Full Version : Did Marvin Gaye record this song?

test

mowest
12-09-2016, 03:13 PM
In the liner notes to her first solo album, Martha Reeves is quoted as saying that Marvin Gaye recorded “Dancing In The Street” and that she actually listened to it before putting down her version. Does anyone have information to corroborate this?

johnny_raven
12-09-2016, 03:30 PM
I heard that Marvin was given the song and sang it in an M.O.R. style. Whether is was recorded, I don't know.

reese
12-09-2016, 04:18 PM
I think Martha meant that Marvin recorded a demo for her to listen to.

midnightman
12-09-2016, 04:29 PM
Martha said MG recorded a demo version for her. I don't think it's on public record. I doubt many Motown demos are, really.

marv2
12-09-2016, 07:19 PM
I think Martha meant that Marvin recorded a demo for her to listen to.

It was not recorded for demo purposes by Marvin. He recorded it in the MOR style and when Martha heard it, she begged to have them let her try it. She did and everyone there loved it on the first take........which ended up not being recorded LOL! They did it a second time with Martha and the girls and the rest is history.

Jaap
12-11-2016, 08:31 AM
I always thought--though I can be mistaken, so please do correct me--that the Martha & the Vandellas recording was initially intended as a demo for Kim Weston; or at least that the song was initially intended to be recorded by Kim Weston.

marv2
12-11-2016, 12:31 PM
I always thought--though I can be mistaken, so please do correct me--that the Martha & the Vandellas recording was initially intended as a demo for Kim Weston; or at least that the song was initially intended to be recorded by Kim Weston.

What I heard is that Kim thought her husband Mickey Stevenson was going to give it to her and when it became a huge hit for Martha & the Vandellas........she was pissed!

bradsupremes
12-11-2016, 03:44 PM
Whether it was a demo or not, Marvin did record a lead on it. At the time, Motown was recording on 3 track multi's. Two of the tracks were for the band with one track for vocals. "Dancing In The Street" was on a 3 track multi so unless Marvin's version was saved on an acetate, it was most likely erased when they recorded Martha & the Vandellas' vocals.

mowest
12-11-2016, 06:32 PM
Whether it was a demo or not, Marvin did record a lead on it. At the time, Motown was recording on 3 track multi's. Two of the tracks were for the band with one track for vocals. "Dancing In The Street" was on a 3 track multi so unless Marvin's version was saved on an acetate, it was most likely erased when they recorded Martha & the Vandellas' vocals.

If Martha & The Vandellas recorded over Marvin’s vocals with the same band tracks, it doesn’t seem possible that his version would have been MOR. In any case, MOR seems antithetical to the very nature of tune.

bradsupremes
12-11-2016, 07:31 PM
If Martha & The Vandellas recorded over Marvin’s vocals with the same band tracks, it doesn’t seem possible that his version would have been MOR. In any case, MOR seems antithetical to the very nature of tune.

I never heard him singing it MOR. Don't think there was ever a version cut MOR. Martha did an interview with the Rock Hall years ago and she was asked about this song. She said Marvin recorded it and she demonstrated how Marvin sang it..."Calling out around the world, are you ready for a brand new beat baby?" Think of his vocal style at the time. Mellow yet soulful. Think "You're A Wonderful One" and "How Sweet It Is." Much different than her more forward take.

mysterysinger
12-13-2016, 12:18 PM
Martha & The Vandellas - a beauty...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVA61UCb0kQ