PDA

View Full Version : Any info on motown unreleased 1966 yet

test

honest man
12-06-2016, 04:38 PM
Hello wonderin' if any info on Motown unreleased 66 available it will soon be Christmas just love this series ,anyone letting us know,please.Thank You.

johnny_raven
12-06-2016, 04:50 PM
The Unreleased series [[in years past) have come out in mid December. There usually isn't an update beforehand ... unless Keith wants to jump in. Personally, I would like to be surprised by what will be on it.

keith_hughes
12-07-2016, 06:22 AM
This isn't a jump, just a toe in the water ... it's happening ...

booty
12-07-2016, 01:58 PM
When the 1966 set of Complete Motown Singles came out and featured the unreleased cuts on The Mynah Byrds there was talk of Neil Young being interested in releasing them on one of his sets. Could it be that other Mynah Byrds tracks appear on this release to renew their copyright?

144man
12-07-2016, 08:03 PM
I remember reading that when HDH left Motown, they were sued for producing tracks not commensurate with their ability. I wonder if any of those will surface.

keith_hughes
12-09-2016, 07:21 PM
Haven't found any evidence of that, 144man, I'm glad to say.

The whole thing has now gone to iTunes etc, I'm told, but I don't have a release date yet - just watch out for it.

Last time I counted there were 80 tracks, in 4 "bundles". Supremes fans can look forward to 5 new tracks, sadly Mynah Birds fans get only 2. I'd say that about 80% of the artists who got a 45 release in 1966 are represented - and there are 4 tracks by artists who didn't get any releases that year! Something new & fab for everyone, I hope.

Happy Christmas from all the Motown Unreleased team - credits are: Harry & self producing, Richard Hughes and Obie O'Brien with Mike Lawson mixing, Phil Nicolo mastering. And thanks to The Old Miner for lending an ear.

alanh
12-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Thanks Keith, sounds interesting......and as always I look forward to our end of year 'unreleased' treat.

daviddesper
12-10-2016, 12:35 AM
Prior to this thread, I was not even aware of this series. But since I have always considered 1966 to be THE PEAK year for Motown, I would be most interested in seeing what is still out there that has never been released. But I am correct aren't I, that this is download material only as opposed to CD releases? If so, that will be a disappointment to an old dinosaur like me, but yet it might be the impetus to get me to join the program!!!

longtimefan
12-10-2016, 12:53 AM
Keith or anyone .... I wonder is The Supremes A Go Go is on its way to iTunes in the same batch? We have been tantalized for so-o-o-o long about this one!

honest man
12-10-2016, 04:56 AM
Haven't found any evidence of that, 144man, I'm glad to say.

The whole thing has now gone to iTunes etc, I'm told, but I don't have a release date yet - just watch out for it.

Last time I counted there were 80 tracks, in 4 "bundles". Supremes fans can look forward to 5 new tracks, sadly Mynah Birds fans get only 2. I'd say that about 80% of the artists who got a 45 release in 1966 are represented - and there are 4 tracks by artists who didn't get any releases that year! Something new & fab for everyone, I hope.

Happy Christmas from all the Motown Unreleased team - credits are: Harry & self producing, Richard Hughes and Obie O'Brien with Mike Lawson mixing, Phil Nicolo mastering. And thanks to The Old Miner for lending an ear.Keith will i still be able to download from Amazonuk.i have never bought from itunes would you advise please,Sounds great can't wait.Thanks again for info.as always.cheers

alanh
12-10-2016, 05:01 AM
David - the series is download only.

Honest man - the series is usually available through all major download sites including Amazon and Google Play. Note Keith said iTunes etc

honest man
12-10-2016, 07:10 AM
David - the series is download only.

Honest man - the series is usually available through all major download sites including Amazon and Google Play. Note Keith said iTunes etcalanThanks for pointing it out to me,was almost gonna cry in my Cornflakes.ha,cheers mate.

MelodyMan
12-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Hello Keith, I'm a new member here. My name is Ingo from Germany and we've had e-mail contact in November. I only want to know if the six songs by Gladys Knight & The Pips are on the playlist. Many greetings

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
12-10-2016, 04:01 PM
5 new Supremes tracks? Or 5 new alternate versions/mixes of songs we already know? Trying to wait patiently for Supremes A Go-Go.

keith_hughes
12-10-2016, 06:57 PM
Fair question! Looks suspicious, doesn't it? How could there be 5 unreleased Supremes tracks that no-one knew about?

One of them is a completely new version of a song they'd recorded nearly two years earlier [[but which had not been released at the time of the remake); the rest are songs that have never been released in any form by the Supremes.

I know nothing of where the A Go Go project is at. Really.

12-10-2016, 08:33 PM
WOW...Meaning 4 unheard of songs? Now this I can not wait for ;-)

daviddh
12-10-2016, 09:45 PM
1966. maybe Mother Dear?? wasn't it remixed for Go Go .

jobeterob
12-10-2016, 10:28 PM
Well this is going to cause quite a splash

daviddh
12-11-2016, 11:21 AM
iust don't like the way Universal keeps everything FBI AREA 51 top secret. is it really this top secret. find it frustrating that they [[universal) just cant say a release date.....Go Go or 1966 coming dec 16 or what ever.
would it be better PR to release an official statement with tracklisting to get everyone talking about it.

Jaap
12-11-2016, 12:09 PM
iust don't like the way Universal keeps everything FBI AREA 51 top secret. is it really this top secret. find it frustrating that they [[universal) just cant say a release date.....Go Go or 1966 coming dec 16 or what ever.
would it be better PR to release an official statement with tracklisting to get everyone talking about it.

Yes, totally agree here. I understand that Motown/Supremes fans are not the most important demographic for Universal, but this album is so easy to market and 2016 was the year to do it. The first album by any "girl group" to make #1 on the album charts. And even though hardcore Motown fans are sometimes critical of The Supremes [[and particularly of the "lead singer"), to the general audience The Supremes still embody Motown. With Ross being honored by Obama mostly for being a Supreme, with the general audience knowing the classic "You Can't Hurry Love" [[even if it is because of that Phil Collins), and with the possibility of marketing The Supremes as the predecessors of many "girl groups" -- most notably Destiny's Child -- what are they thinking!?! If there is a Supremes album to market as a major "nostalgia" album for a GENERAL audience, Supremes A Go Go is THE album. Very frustrating that those in power at Universal are either sleeping or ignorant.

alanh
12-11-2016, 01:00 PM
It's not just Motown that's being affected by Universal not giving advance release dates. I may be wrong but I believe that some months ago they took a decision to not pre-publicise release dates [[and even some releases) for all new albums. I don't understand the logic in that - surely they want to sell their material and build up demand? [[If I'm wrong with this, I'll gladly be corrected by someone 'in the know').

bradsupremes
12-11-2016, 03:16 PM
Comparing to previous few years, Universal releases the Motown Unreleased tracks around this time. Unreleased '63 came out December 17, Unreleased '64 came out December 15 and Unreleased '65 came out December 11, so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it released this week. Maybe Tuesday since that tends to be when music is released.

daviddh
12-11-2016, 04:01 PM
It's not just Motown that's being affected by Universal not giving advance release dates. I may be wrong but I believe that some months ago they took a decision to not pre-publicise release dates [[and even some releases) for all new albums. I don't understand the logic in that - surely they want to sell their material and build up demand? [[If I'm wrong with this, I'll gladly be corrected by someone 'in the know').
I read that and think it very odd. just don't get it.

alanh
12-11-2016, 04:02 PM
More likely to be Friday which since last year is the main internationally coordinated day for new releases.

daviddh
12-11-2016, 04:11 PM
just thinking the same. it used to be Tuesday but now new releases seem to come out fridays

alanh
12-11-2016, 04:18 PM
Re releaases, I totally agree David. But apparently this message was sent out to media outlets in July;

'Universal no longer wish to have any of their tracks, downloads, albums or releases [[other than major album titles) within the release schedule disclosed.'

daviddh
12-11-2016, 06:42 PM
yes ,that is what I remember reading. non sense really.
we are the fans that support these releases. but I find Universal stance on this frustrating.
by the time Go Go comes, maybe no one will care.

danman869
12-15-2016, 11:36 AM
I was wondering if Keith Hughes could tell us when the production credits for "Motown Unreleased 1966" will be posted on DFTMC.info ? Will it be on the same day the digital set is released to the public or...? I love having the production details for all the Motown music--the more info, the better! It helps paint a clearer picture of the track.

Thanks!

MelodyMan
12-16-2016, 12:31 PM
Another Friday and nothing has happened. Where are the download albums of Motown Unreleased 1966? Universal is rude! :[[

alanh
12-16-2016, 12:41 PM
Another Friday and nothing has happened. Where are the download albums of Motown Unreleased 1966? Universal is rude! :[[

It's frustrating MelodyMan because we have the expectation of 'Unreleased' releases at this time of year. But no date, this Friday or otherwise, has been promised or publicised. With memories of last year I agree that it would really be nice for us to have a date publicised that we can look forward to and I don't understand why one can't be given. But I'm not sure we'll get anywhere by calling Universal rude.

MelodyMan
12-16-2016, 12:58 PM
Yes, you're right alanh. But who makes it so difficult to give us a release date, maybe iTunes or Amazon? I have a look at it several times a day like many of us here and yes...that's frustrating. And sorry, I don't want to say anything bad about Universal. Let us all hope for the next week. :)

alanh
12-16-2016, 01:09 PM
It's the record companies that decide a release date and then tell the download sites when to make their music available, although some sites tend to put releases up a few days apart. As I said earlier in this thread, Universal for some reason is holding back on release details for all its albums, not just Motown. They apparently issued this statement in the summer: 'Universal no longer wish to have any of their tracks, downloads, albums or releases [[other than major album titles) within the release schedule disclosed.'

It makes no sense to us, the buying public[[!) but I'm afraid we just have to roll with it. I'm just grateful that these unreleased recordings are being made available at all and look forward to hearing them when they do eventually appear.

bradsupremes
12-16-2016, 01:17 PM
It's the record companies that decide a release date and then tell the download sites when to make their music available, although some sites tend to put releases up a few days apart. As I said earlier in this thread, Universal for some reason is holding back on release details for all its albums, not just Motown. They apparently issued this statement in the summer: 'Universal no longer wish to have any of their tracks, downloads, albums or releases [[other than major album titles) within the release schedule disclosed.'

It makes no sense to us, the buying public[[!) but I'm afraid we just have to roll with it. I'm just grateful that these unreleased recordings are being made available at all and look forward to hearing them when they do eventually appear.

Don't be surprised if we see Motown Unreleased 1966 next year.

johnny_raven
12-16-2016, 01:21 PM
Keith already stated that the tracks have been sent to iTunes, Amazon, etc. They will be uploaded when it happens ...

daviddh
12-17-2016, 11:07 AM
again it would be nice to get a preview ,track listing ? but that would be to much like right

booty
12-18-2016, 07:57 AM
Don't be surprised if we see Motown Unreleased 1966 next year.

Then they will be out of the 50 year Copyright - defeats the object. These are released for one purpose only - to extend the copyright. That we are able to purchase them is a bonus!

motownjohnny
12-18-2016, 08:39 AM
Remember what happened last year with the Marvin Gaye '65 set? That was first released for download in S. Korea only, and those of us living in N. America, Europe etc. had to wait till April/May before we were able to access it. There was never any explanation for the delay forthcoming from the powers that be at Universal. So with the current lack of info such as tracklisting, release date etc. don't be too surprised if history repeats itself again this year.

johnny_raven
12-18-2016, 02:56 PM
Well, if it makes you feel any better, South Korea doesn't have it yet either [[I just checked). Now North Korea? Maybe ... :)

MelodyMan
12-21-2016, 09:09 AM
Yesterday I've had a chat with Andy and he thinks that "Motown Unreleased 1966" is coming - this week or next week. But he don't know a release date.

lakedistrictlad1
12-22-2016, 04:19 PM
I'm curious to know what kind of mixing or remastering goes into these 'Motown Unreleased' sets?

I get the impression that they are minimum spend releases on Universals part. No physical, no booklet, no details - so I imagine the tracks are simply taken from the master reels as they stand.

Or maybe it just isn't that simple.

A question for Keith Hughes perhaps?

danman869
12-22-2016, 07:06 PM
I'd like to hear from Keith in response to your question, too, but I think they are mastered/remastered before digital release. I've never heard "marked improvements/differences" in the sound quality when some if these previously unreleased tracks have appeared in Ace collections later, so I think they do master/remaster the tracks before digital release. Just my two cents, but Mr. Hughes...?

bradsupremes
12-22-2016, 10:06 PM
I think they master all the tracks especially if they hadn't been released before. If a track was mixed in the 60's, they may use the original mix and just master it to clean it up. If a track was never mixed then I'd imagine they'd have to do both. It sounds like a lot of the Ace releases contain original mono mixes.

MelodyMan
12-23-2016, 03:36 AM
Shouldn't we be satisfied in all ways to get these rare tracks? And I think that we will get a tracklist with infos by Keith on dftmc soon after release.

jobeterob
12-23-2016, 08:05 AM
Yep.........

bradsupremes
12-23-2016, 10:38 AM
I'm beginning to believe we won't see this release until next year.

booty
12-23-2016, 01:41 PM
I'm beginning to believe we won't see this release until next year.

Surely they have to be released by 31st December otherwise they will fall out of copyright!

bradsupremes
12-23-2016, 01:55 PM
Surely they have to be released by 31st December otherwise they will fall out of copyright!

Not if copyrights have been cleared. A' Go-Go won't get released until next year and I'm sure there are unreleased bonus tracks that won't fall out of copyright because they are being used on the collection. And Marvin Gaye 1965 wasn't released here until May of this year which was 5 months past the deadline.

johnny_raven
12-23-2016, 03:10 PM
And Marvin Gaye 1965 wasn't released here until May of this year which was 5 months past the deadline.

That shouldn't count as it was released last December in South Korea.

bradsupremes
12-23-2016, 05:39 PM
That shouldn't count as it was released last December in South Korea.

Don't copyrights work differently in other countries?

And if that's the case, then the bonus tracks on A' Go-Go would lose their copyrights

keith_hughes
12-23-2016, 07:36 PM
bradsupremes is more or less spot on.

About half the tracks on 1966 Unreleased were taken from tapes mixed at Hitsville in 1966. The remainder were mixed specially for this release, mostly because they were never mixed at the time but in a few cases because the original mixes were not of sufficiently high quality to be released. Bear in mind that these tracks were not released at the time, and where they did mix them there was often only one mix, and it was just rough, really for audition purposes only - sometimes there's drop-out, distortion, clicks etc. All the tracks were mastered specially for this release.

Full details of the audio sources will appear in the Release Notes, which will be published on www.dftmc.info as soon as the release is available. I have no info on the release date, but for the reasons given by booty, I'm assuming it will be on or before Dec 31.

danman869
12-24-2016, 02:20 AM
Perhaps it's a British term, but what are "reasons given by booty"? Just curious.

Also, Keith... as long as we have your attention for a bit, why is it that DFTMC only includes the last date of recording on a song rather than all the dates as are included in the booklets [[physical and digital) included with releases? After 1963, Hitsville rarely [[if ever) recorded the track, lead and background vocals, string and/or horn overdubs, and anything else all in the same day.

Any chance the full details of Motown Unreleased: 1966 will include all recording dates for the tracks?

carole cucumber
12-24-2016, 05:56 AM
I think Keith's referring to comments made by a poster whose onscreen name is 'booty' . See posts # 36 & #46.

TomatoTom123
12-24-2016, 07:05 AM
Perhaps it's a British term, but what are "reasons given by booty"? Just curious.

LOLOL
"Reasons given by booty" - British, eh? I have never used that term of phase... but I will do now!! Lol. I think Carole is right by the way ;);)

danman869
12-24-2016, 12:56 PM
Thanks, Carole, for the clarification. And to my pals who happen to be British, forgive me for thinking you would use such a phrase as slang! LOL

snakepit
12-24-2016, 02:20 PM
Two Countries divided by the same language 😊

keith_hughes
12-24-2016, 07:52 PM
"carole cucumber" is right. So are "danman" and "snakepit". I was lazy not to use quote marks round "booty", the usage I think "danman" may be attributing to me never crossed my mind.

All recording dates will be in the release notes, as always in my annotations. Full details in dftmc would mean many, many more pages, it's big enough already.

danman869
12-24-2016, 09:22 PM
Keith, thanks for responding about annotations on DFTMC. If you guys ever need data entry help on the website, let me know. I'm happy to offer my assistance! I'd rather see it become even more of a comprehensive database than one with only with partial info.

biggestfourtops fan
12-25-2016, 05:17 AM
Hope to god there's some Four Tops on there. Hopefully these digital songs see the light of day on CD. All that technical crap is too complicated. Plus i love the booklets with rare photos and recording dates.

12-25-2016, 02:50 PM
I believe there will some Four Tops on there. Anyone who had a single release that year will have about 4 songs. In the case of the Supremes there will be 5 unreleased recordings :-)

daviddh
12-25-2016, 03:43 PM
Nice surprise gift this will be as I thought the Supremes mine was now empty except for live tracks and 70 S tracks.
Can't wait. Look forward to when these tracks were discovered

daviddh
12-26-2016, 02:09 PM
I remember hearing about a year ago another version of Love Is Like A Heatwave was found. this was not the version that appears on Sing HDH, which I believe was recorded around the time of A GO GO time line but held back. this newer version was recorded earlier. I wonder if this is the song they are talking about. this may fit in the time line . I look forward to reading the liner notes as to why other producers were used on this album. wasn't HDH used on all their studio albums where as the other producers like Frank Wilson, were used at this time for standard sets. interesting to find out. to this date I thought Copa has been the landmark set but now I think this collection could top all others.

Philles/Motown Gary
12-27-2016, 02:58 AM
Hope to god there's some Four Tops on there. Hopefully these digital songs see the light of day on CD. All that technical crap is too complicated. Plus i love the booklets with rare photos and recording dates.
Yeah, you and me both, biggestfourtopsfan!

danman869
12-29-2016, 08:49 PM
Motown Unreleased: 1966 tracks were uploaded to YouTube this afternoon "by" Universal. Search and you'll find lots of goodies. Hope this mean the digital tracks will be uploaded at iTunes, Amazon, us7digital.com, etc. tonight or tomorrow!

snakepit
12-29-2016, 08:50 PM
Thanks Danman
Happy New Year...😁

snakepit
12-29-2016, 08:54 PM
How do I find this Universal upload?
Thanks in advance

TomatoTom123
12-29-2016, 08:57 PM
Motown Unreleased: 1966 tracks were uploaded to YouTube this afternoon "by" Universal. Search and you'll find lots of goodies. Hope this mean the digital tracks will be uploaded at iTunes, Amazon, us7digital.com, etc. tonight or tomorrow!

Oooohh... exciting
I haven't experienced a release of new Motown stuff before [[since becoming near-obsessed with Motown I mean, lol)
I love it! :)

bradsupremes
12-29-2016, 09:03 PM
YouTube got a head start and released 68 tracks from Motown Unreleased 1966!

"That'll Be The Day" sung as a duet for Marvin & Kim, 3 of the Four Tops taking a turn singing lead on "Wives And Lovers," an early version of the Miracles' "Flower Girl," and the Marvelettes singing "Sweet Talking Guy!"

snakepit
12-29-2016, 09:06 PM
How do I access these on you tube please?

bradsupremes
12-29-2016, 09:09 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-fSocjHMn8&list=PL5sqnMF109SC6sWo50ku5BL6VIArWKQep

snakepit
12-29-2016, 09:12 PM
Brad
Thanks for that..But it is blocked here in UK😤
Won't sleep tonight!

TomatoTom123
12-29-2016, 09:13 PM

It is blocked here in UK.
Won't sleep tonight!

Yes this confuses and annoys me very much

As with every other upload by Universal [[and other companies) to YouTube, the videos don't actually seem to work, they're just "not available" [[which renders the whole thing pointless doesn't it!!?)

That's the situation in the UK at least

I think this is on purpose... I remember reading that there was a reason for it... I guess if you could just listen to all the songs on YouTube [[and then download them using websites) you wouldn't buy them on iTunes or Amazon...? I don't know...

Still, can't wait for them to be [[properly) released!!! :)

danman869
12-29-2016, 09:32 PM
I'm sorry to share the excitement and then find that our British Soul Brothers and Sisters are blocked on them. So far, I will say--you won't be disappointed when you do get access!

Snakepit--kindly send me a private message on my profile?

carole cucumber
12-29-2016, 09:52 PM
Marvin & Kim.... Gladys Knight & the Spinners!!!!- wonder how that came about...

danman869
12-29-2016, 10:04 PM
Well, Marvin and Kim... they apparently recorded many of the "Marvin & Tammi" duets first, Kim's vocals [[at least) were wiped, and Tammi dubbed in in '67. As for Gladys and The Spinners.... maybe it was an actual duet, but... the track sounds old. 1962-63? It could've been a similar situation to "Brenda Holloway and The Supremes" singing "Going To A Go-Go"--just a lead vocal added over an unfinished track back in '66. All that said, I haven't heard anything yet that disappointed me.

I think 1966 is proven to have been Motown's YEAR for firing on all cylinders!

biggestfourtops fan
12-29-2016, 10:59 PM
Holy smokes. There's quite a few tops song. FANTASTIC. Definitely my first listens.

carole cucumber
12-29-2016, 11:02 PM
There are a few more Brenda Holloway tunes not included in the 68 posted above. They can be accessed here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFHmEyaaWVzYkm8NiKA0MAg/videos

carole cucumber
12-29-2016, 11:11 PM
Great version by Chris Clark here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG6diJOYp2E

carole cucumber
12-29-2016, 11:18 PM
One more Billy Eckstine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J7sU9sOHAc

carole cucumber
12-29-2016, 11:21 PM
The alternate 'Ain't Too Proud To Beg' :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMktMl5dIPI

carole cucumber
12-29-2016, 11:24 PM
Alternate Miracles "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXTNidY7p7k

TomatoTom123
12-29-2016, 11:27 PM
Aw man that's so frustrating!!
None of those YouTube videos work! Why YouTube, WHY!!!???

Lol ;)

carole cucumber
12-29-2016, 11:35 PM
And the Mynah Birds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJTQXvgm8js

&

carole cucumber
12-29-2016, 11:37 PM
Mr. Hughes,

I've lost count.... any others we should look for???

I went back and counted. Seems to be 1 missing track......

danman869
12-29-2016, 11:55 PM
I am absolutely amazed at the quality of the Brenda Holloway tracks AND THEY STAYED IN THE CAN! We've gotten an album's worth [[plus one) of Brenda Holloway tracks and, for that alone, I couldn't be happier!

Thank you Carole Cuke, for finding those "missing" tracks on YouTube for us! Christmas came a little late this year and the new year's coming in with a Motown BANG!

longtimefan
12-30-2016, 01:48 AM
Yippee! It's now Friday just after midnight and all 80 tracks are on iTunes!!!! Too much to absorb right away. A real treasure trove! Thanks, Keith X1000!

booty
12-30-2016, 02:16 AM
Yippee! It's now Friday just after midnight and all 80 tracks are on iTunes!!!! Too much to absorb right away. A real treasure trove! Thanks, Keith X1000!

Just checked both US & UK iTunes and I can see nothing. Do you have a link to this?

booty
12-30-2016, 02:22 AM
Samples and downloads are available at

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/music/album/various-artists/motown-unreleased-1966/8d6kgwx5xtss

Samples play in the UK.

longtimefan
12-30-2016, 02:27 AM
Just checked both US & UK iTunes and I can see nothing. Do you have a link to this?

In US, just go to the iTunes Store [[app) and type in MOTOWN UNRELEASD 1966. It works on both the computer and tablet. It's not about a "link," but simply accessing the iTunes Store. It's all clearly there. Good luck.

justanothermotownfan
12-30-2016, 02:44 AM
Looks like good things come to those who wait. I'm about 1/3 through the 80 tracks and man you guys did NOT disappoint. I am truly grateful to the team at Universal for making this release happen as well as all of the many other releases. Sometimes we get frustrated because we want tracks like the ones in this set released [[immediately), including album reissues, etc. but at the end of the day, this was truly worth the wait. THANK YOU SO MUCH! Can't wait for the 1967 set.

carole cucumber
12-30-2016, 06:23 AM
One may also listen to all the tracks at Spotify.

mysterysinger
12-30-2016, 06:44 AM
As usual these are not available on YouTube in the UK. But can somebody please please correct the spelling on The Supremes track from Where You There to "Were You There". Surely someone can spell properly?

keith_hughes
12-30-2016, 07:18 AM
Annotations now published at http://www.dftmc.info/bonus/b-06a.html.

MelodyMan
12-30-2016, 07:29 AM
Thank you Keith. :) I hope it will be available in Germany soon.

snakepit
12-30-2016, 09:28 AM
Keith
I've bought previous sets from Amazon..will 1966 be available please?

sansradio
12-30-2016, 09:47 AM
I am thrilled! Listened to a few samples this morning; awesome! Thanks, Keith and company!

alanh
12-30-2016, 09:55 AM
From the sample links posted this looks a fantastic package, but yet again this year the UK [[and Europe by the sound of it) is being kept waiting. It would be great and interesting if Keith or anyone from Universal can explain the reasoning. Although I ask with an element of frustration, I'm also really interested to know the philosophy behind the strategy.

rovereab
12-30-2016, 10:22 AM
I'm looking forward to buying this release. Does anybody know if the tracks are mixed in mono or stereo please?

Thanks.

danman869
12-30-2016, 10:43 AM
I just bought the 80 tracks from us7digital.com [[320kbps for $38.99US), but I'd noticed at Amazon.com that the set listed "81 tracks." I wasn't sure if there was a digital booklet being included with this--because there wasn't at 7digital. Just curious if anyone who's bought elsewhere has a booklet or not. [[I wasn't expecting one since Keith has uploaded the recording info at dftmc.info, but... who knows?)

Can't want to really "sink" into these 80 tracks! Thank you to all who were involved in making this happen!

snakepit
12-30-2016, 10:45 AM
Dan sent you a pm
Thanks

honest man
12-30-2016, 11:20 AM
From the sample links posted this looks a fantastic package, but yet again this year the UK [[and Europe by the sound of it) is being kept waiting. It would be great and interesting if Keith or anyone from Universal can explain the reasoning. Although I ask with an element of frustration, I'm also really interested to know the philosophy behind the strategy.WHAT A PAIN IN THE RECTUM all of this,WHY is this so'''''''''''''''''''''''''Long winded,im desperate for these and well P=====dOFF

snakepit
12-30-2016, 11:44 AM
I could well be wrong [[usually am) but isn't there more interest in unissued rare Motown in the UK.....forums would indicate that.
If so why are we at the back of the queue?

12-30-2016, 12:19 PM
I wonder what kind of album Motown was getting ready for with the Supremes with "More", "Somewhere [[Alternate Version)" and "Michelle" since they have the same recording dates?

12-30-2016, 12:38 PM
Keith Hughes, I know you guys aren't aloud to give out too much information but with the recent discovery of 5 more unreleased Supremes songs, is there possibly a couple others that have been found or is this absolutely it? And thank you again for another wonderful collection :D Really digging the Gladys and Spinners duet. A little different for Motown.

12-30-2016, 12:48 PM
"I'm Losing You" by Gladys Knight and The Pips, is this the song that many of us "thought" the Supremes recorded in 1967? Really like the song. If this is the song too bad they didn't do a version of it.

johnny_raven
12-30-2016, 01:07 PM
I just bought the 80 tracks from us7digital.com [[320kbps for $38.99US), but I'd noticed at Amazon.com that the set listed "81 tracks." I wasn't sure if there was a digital booklet being included with this--because there wasn't at 7digital. Just curious if anyone who's bought elsewhere has a booklet or not. [[I wasn't expecting one since Keith has uploaded the recording info at dftmc.info, but... who knows?)

Can't want to really "sink" into these 80 tracks! Thank you to all who were involved in making this happen!

The "81 items" are the 80 tracks plus the entire set = 81. No booklet.

sup_fan
12-30-2016, 01:33 PM
iTunes only lists 80 tracks. is the booklet only available via Amazon?

johnny_raven
12-30-2016, 01:58 PM
iTunes only lists 80 tracks. is the booklet only available via Amazon?

There is no booklet.

copley
12-30-2016, 02:30 PM
Come on UMe US, pull your finger out and get these tracks up on Amazon UK etc! I'm led to believe that this a US driven project so HW get a move on please.

Luciano
12-30-2016, 02:30 PM
I wonder if the Gladys & Spinners track is a demo for another artist/s? I thinking maybe Marvin & Kim.

copley
12-30-2016, 02:51 PM
I wonder if the Gladys & Spinners track is a demo for another artist/s? I thinking maybe Marvin & Kim.

02_10_All These Things - Gladys Knight with The Spinners
[[Harvey Fuqua-Gwen Gordy Fuqua)
Produced by Harvey Fuqua and Johnny Bristol
Original Tri-Phi Records session recorded for and by the Spinners, date[[s) and location unknown; Gladys Knight lead vocal overdubbed April 26, 1966

bradsupremes
12-30-2016, 02:53 PM
I wonder what kind of album Motown was getting ready for with the Supremes with "More", "Somewhere [[Alternate Version)" and "Michelle" since they have the same recording dates?

These tracks most likely were recorded in the same sessions for the "From Broadway To Hollywood" album.

bradburger
12-30-2016, 03:41 PM
For those who can't get this release yet from their choice of vendor, there are samples of the tracks here: -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/music/album/various-artists/motown-unreleased-1966/8d6kgwx5xtss

[[You can of course buy the set as well!)

Cheers

Paul

sup_fan
12-30-2016, 04:42 PM
Michelle and More are listed as tracks prepared for IHAS but never receiving vocals. most of the sessions for this set were in Nov 65 which lp released in Feb 66. perhaps they either went ahead and did these tunes but they missed the lp.

Michelle wouldn't have been for Broadway to Hollywood as it's not one of those. it's a Beatles tune.

sup_fan
12-30-2016, 04:47 PM
also in Randy's book he lists On A Clear Day You Can See Forever as a song the sups did for Broadway - Hollywood. but we've never heard any vocals and here's a Four Tops version. their Broadway album was released in 67 so perhaps that's a track connected to the girls but really not

bradsupremes
12-30-2016, 05:05 PM
also in Randy's book he lists On A Clear Day You Can See Forever as a song the sups did for Broadway - Hollywood. but we've never heard any vocals and here's a Four Tops version. their Broadway album was released in 67 so perhaps that's a track connected to the girls but really not

According to DFTMC, the Four Tops' version of "On A Clear Day" was the one HDH cut for the Supremes' "From Broadway to Hollywood" album. Barbara McNair also cut a version but I don't know if she used the same track as the Four Tops. Maybe it was her version that contained the track meant for the Supremes.

mysterysinger
12-30-2016, 05:35 PM
I'm in the UK and am now able to play the tracks on YouTube because I downloaded a free extension for Firefox called PROXTUBE. I also believe there is something similar for Chrome. Have a look and see - then enjoy the music.

carole cucumber
12-30-2016, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE=carole cucumber;363958]And the Mynah Birds:

&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhXo3BmJW60

I just realized that I posted the same YouTube link twice, so here is the correction.

bradsupremes
12-30-2016, 06:10 PM
Been listening to the tracks... Some real gems and some duds.

Notable standouts:
"Without Love You Lose A Good Feeling" & "Whenever You Need Me" by Brenda Holloway.
What standout tracks! I instantly feel in love with these when I heard them. Single-worthy. I can't believe these were canned.

"Flower Girl [[Version 1)" by Smokey & the Miracles
Totally different from the version from 1970. Not quite sure how to describe this version. Definitely not done in the roaring Motown style, but very colorful. A little bit of a country meets latin flavor.

"I Got You [[In My Soul)" and "I'll Wait Forever" by the Mynah Birds
All of the Mynah Birds Motown recordings have been exceptional. It's a shame Motown shelved the album and the group because these songs have such a cool blend of the Motown Sound, folk, and rock.

"I Can't Take You Back" by Gladys Knight & the Pips
Such a funky and rocking track. Love the fuzz guitar on this. Again, why did quality control reject this?

"Ain't Too Proud To Beg" by The Temptations
So fun to hear different lyrics and different vocals. Read the track annotations on DFTMC. This was originally meant to Marvin Gaye?! Wow!

"That'll Be The Day" by Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston
I absolutely love this track by the Temptations so it's awesome to hear it as a duet between Marvin and Kim with a few alternated lyrics. I always felt this song was A-side single worthy. Can't believe it got canned twice.

Luciano
12-30-2016, 06:28 PM
Original Tri-Phi Records session recorded for and by the Spinners, date[[s) and location unknown; Gladys Knight lead vocal overdubbed April 26, 1966

Copley - Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciate it.

TomatoTom123
12-30-2016, 06:35 PM
For those who can't get this release yet from their choice of vendor, there are samples of the tracks here: -

[[You can of course buy the set as well!)

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul!!! :)

daviddh
12-30-2016, 06:37 PM
Was the LP From Broadway to Hollywood planned for 1966 release.?

bradsupremes
12-30-2016, 06:42 PM
Was the LP From Broadway to Hollywood planned for 1966 release.?

Recording sessions were done in 1966. Album was planned for release in 1967.

daviddh
12-30-2016, 07:48 PM
I am downloading from ITunes right now .listening to MORE. always liked this from talk of the town. wow sounds great. I don't see recording dates?? did I misunderstand .
Somewhere is good as well.

copley
12-30-2016, 07:55 PM
I am downloading from ITunes right now .listening to MORE. always liked this from talk of the town. wow sounds great. I don't see recording dates?? did I misunderstand .
Somewhere is good as well.

At the foot of DFMC

http://www.dftmc.info/bonus/b-00.html

mysterysinger
12-30-2016, 10:35 PM
Having heard The Marvelettes "Sweet Talkin' Guy" I wish I hadn't bothered. I was looking forward to hearing it as well. As with the other "unreleased" sets, I probably won't bother downloading.

biggestfourtops fan
12-31-2016, 01:39 AM
Having heard The Marvelettes "Sweet Talkin' Guy" I wish I hadn't bothered. I was looking forward to hearing it as well. As with the other "unreleased" sets, I probably won't bother downloading.

Yeah. Just listen to them on youtube for free. Especially considering the quality of some of these songs. Wish there less standards and mire original material especially from the tops.

MelodyMan
12-31-2016, 04:30 AM
Does anybody know if user like me [[from Germany) can download the album on the U.S. site of Microsoft.com? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/music/album/various-artists/motown-unreleased-1966/8d6kgwx5xtss
Many thanks, Ingo

robb_k
12-31-2016, 04:42 AM
I listened to all four groupings of cuts. Only a few were really good quality. There was a good reason why the rest weren't released. There were also a couple cuts on which the recordings sound a fair amount older than 1966. I thing they could be from 1963 and 1964, and just made available with 1966, because they were just discovered recently, and Universal wants to keep ownership.

wedgeville
12-31-2016, 05:39 AM
I don't think we can. I tried and it didn't work. We will have to wait until we get them I guess.

Wayne
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1735972560001093/

snakepit
12-31-2016, 06:34 AM
Still not available in UK 😤

copley
12-31-2016, 07:15 AM
I listened to all four groupings of cuts. Only a few were really good quality. There was a good reason why the rest weren't released. There were also a couple cuts on which the recordings sound a fair amount older than 1966. I thing they could be from 1963 and 1964, and just made available with 1966, because they were just discovered recently, and Universal wants to keep ownership.

According to DFTMC all date from 1966.

copley
12-31-2016, 07:17 AM

That's a shame as the Brenda, Gladys, Marvin/Kim, Marvin, Kim, Isley tracks are all 1st class. BTW I love 'Sweet Talkin' Guy' :)

booty
12-31-2016, 07:54 AM
Does anybody know if user like me [[from Germany) can download the album on the U.S. site of Microsoft.com? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/music/album/various-artists/motown-unreleased-1966/8d6kgwx5xtss
Many thanks, Ingo

I tried from the UK but failed!

daviddh
12-31-2016, 01:07 PM
I have always liked Michelle as a song.nice to hear it .Not a fan of the gospel tracks I've heard.
Were these tracks just uncovered. I thought the Supremes well was dry.

bradburger
12-31-2016, 01:39 PM
According to DFTMC all date from 1966.

Although: -

02_09_I’m Losing You - Gladys Knight & The Pips
[[Harvey Fuqua)
Original Tri-Phi Records session recorded for and by the Spinners, date[[s) and location unknown; vocals overdubbed by Gladys Knight & the Pips April 25, 1966

02-18_You’re Gone [[But Always In My Heart) - Gladys Knight & The Pips
[[Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland Jr.)
Produced by Brian Holland and Lamont Dozier
Working title: Always In My Heart
Track recorded December 19, 1963 and assigned to the Vandellas; re-assigned to Gladys Knight & the Pips and overdubs recorded April 21, 1966; lead vocal re-cut April 26; strings added May 13, 1966

Cheers

Paul

copley
12-31-2016, 01:44 PM
Although: -

02_09_I’m Losing You - Gladys Knight & The Pips
[[Harvey Fuqua)
Original Tri-Phi Records session recorded for and by the Spinners, date[[s) and location unknown; vocals overdubbed by Gladys Knight & the Pips April 25, 1966

02-18_You’re Gone [[But Always In My Heart) - Gladys Knight & The Pips
[[Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland Jr.)
Produced by Brian Holland and Lamont Dozier
Working title: Always In My Heart
Track recorded December 19, 1963 and assigned to the Vandellas; re-assigned to Gladys Knight & the Pips and overdubs recorded April 21, 1966; lead vocal re-cut April 26; strings added May 13, 1966

Cheers

Paul

But completion dates are all 1966 unless I'm reading it wrong.

bradburger
12-31-2016, 02:45 PM
No, you're not reading it wrong copley!

Completion dates were indeed 1966, but the the band tracks for these three songs were recorded earlier, as thought to be the case by RobbK.

[[The two Tri-Phi session tracks most likely date from around 1962/63).

So he is correct in assessment that they were recorded earlier than 1966, but the vocal overdubs and tracks were completed that year, hence the inclusion in this set.

Cheers

Paul

daviddh
12-31-2016, 03:43 PM
Apologise for my ignorance..Is overdubbing.....Rerecording a vocal?

bradburger
12-31-2016, 05:06 PM
Apologise for my ignorance..Is overdubbing.....Rerecording a vocal?

Essentially, it is david.

Of course the nomenclature can vary, but yes, recording or re-recording a vocal and/or other instruments to the contents already recorded on a multitrack tape.

In the case of Motown [[from about 1963 onward), the basic rhythm track would be recorded first, and then at a later date, the lead vocal would be recorded on a spare track of either the 3 or 8 track 'session' tape which contained the already recorded rhythm track. Then things like the strings and background vocals would be recorded or overdubbed to the remaining spare tracks, although not necessarily in this order.

[[The Hitsville session logs usually refer to this process as "dub ins").

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Paul

robb_k
12-31-2016, 06:49 PM
No, you're not reading it wrong copley!

Completion dates were indeed 1966, but the the band tracks for these three songs were recorded earlier, as thought to be the case by RobbK.

[[The two Tri-Phi session tracks most likely date from around 1962/63).

So he is correct in assessment that they were recorded earlier than 1966, but the vocal overdubs and tracks were completed that year, hence the inclusion in this set.

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul! This proves that one should believe his ears!!! And also proves that 65 years of experience might be more trustworthy than even so-called "official" printed documents [[e.g. when the terms in those documents are not clearly defined). But, also, when younger people are compiling official data from what documents are "inherited" from the previous or even the original production company, information can get interpreted incorrectly, or transmitted with errors. So, experienced experts are a good back-up, in those situations.

daviddh
01-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Keith, thought with the release of Lost and Found , this collection cleaned up the vaults for the Supremes.
can you discuss when these tracks were found. seems to me they would fit on the I Hear A Symphony set . just curious if they were recently discovered.

bradsupremes
01-01-2017, 11:51 AM
Keith, thought with the release of Lost and Found , this collection cleaned up the vaults for the Supremes.
can you discuss when these tracks were found. seems to me they would fit on the I Hear A Symphony set . just curious if they were recently discovered.

L&F was almost 10 years ago. Of course they are going to find new tracks. Motown was very good at keeping their recording information straight, but sometimes tracks fall through the cracks where a session entry or a tape box is improperly marked. When you're recording practically 24/7, you're bound to forget something. If there's one thing we learned is that Motown is full of surprises. Discoveries will be made as they mine the vaults further. Does this mean we'll see another L&F set worth of unreleased tracks? No, but don't be surprised if you see a track or two pop up here or there that was never thought to have existed as it seems to be the case of these "Broadway to Hollywood" tracks.

daviddh
01-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Thanks Brad.
I assumed what you have confirmed for me. Nice to know we still may have a few gems left.

keith_hughes
01-02-2017, 10:42 AM
The Supremes' cuts were found by, ahem, me, listening to [[digital rundowns of) unmixed tapes, of which there are hundreds, possibly thousands, in the Vaults, while looking for good stuff for future Ace CDs. The 1966 Unreleased issue was a way of getting them out faster than Ace would be able to ... which is not to say we might not reprise them on CD at some later point. [[Or someone else might.)

I've found a number of unissued alt takes of Supremes tracks in my search, but most of them are so similar to the issued version that they aren't - in my opinion, and in view of the amount of "original" unissued material available by other artists - worth bothering about. I have found one alt version of a Supremes track featuring a different lead singer to the released version which I thought worth putting on one side for a future volume of "Motown Girls" ... if and when ... and unless Andy and George "scoop" me!

daviddh
01-02-2017, 12:02 PM
keith do you for see any possibility of a supremes 70s lost and found or do you think Go Go could be one of the last with the reluctance of universal

daviddh
01-02-2017, 12:04 PM
glad to know there are possibilities out there in the vaults. I'm sure its about the same for dianas solo work. hopefully there is a ross solo coming this year

mysterysinger
01-02-2017, 02:02 PM
The Supremes' cuts were found by, ahem, me, listening to [[digital rundowns of) unmixed tapes, of which there are hundreds, possibly thousands, in the Vaults, while looking for good stuff for future Ace CDs. The 1966 Unreleased issue was a way of getting them out faster than Ace would be able to ... which is not to say we might not reprise them on CD at some later point. [[Or someone else might.)

I've found a number of unissued alt takes of Supremes tracks in my search, but most of them are so similar to the issued version that they aren't - in my opinion, and in view of the amount of "original" unissued material available by other artists - worth bothering about. I have found one alt version of a Supremes track featuring a different lead singer to the released version which I thought worth putting on one side for a future volume of "Motown Girls" ... if and when ... and unless Andy and George "scoop" me!

Well done Keith and you've set the expectations rolling with the prospect of an "even more Motown Girls release". Thanks so much for all the previous releases and it's great to know we've something else to look forward to.

copley
01-02-2017, 02:58 PM
With Motown you can never ever say never ;)

daviddh
01-02-2017, 03:06 PM
Keith thanks, glad there are other options regarding the release of this music.

TomatoTom123
01-02-2017, 09:23 PM
I forgot to check the US iTunes Store for Motown Unreleased 1966, and having just done so [[and having listened to some of the tracks), I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! I think there is a way of purchasing songs and albums from the US Store even in the UK [[think it involves iTunes vouchers) but I'm not sure. I will try it eventually but in the meantime I don't mind listening to 30-50 second previews, hehe... Anyways, a MASSIVE THANK YOU to Keith and everybody else involved in the release!!! :)

robb_k
01-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Didn't Tri-Phi/Harvey/HPC/Message record almost all their sessions in The Snake Pit?

keith_hughes
01-03-2017, 06:55 PM
So legend and memories have it, Robb, but in general Motown didn't log recordings when the studio was hired out to another company, and the Tri-Phi acts' recordings don't start appearing until mid-1963, which was presumably when Gordy acquired Tri-Phi. The Spinners' "All These Things" isn't logged, and the Tape Card just says the original source was a Tri-Phi tape.

I'm sure you know that the story goes that Ollie McLaughlin recorded "My Mama Told Me" on Barbara Lewis at the Snakepit, but that one isn't logged either.

robb_k
01-03-2017, 08:58 PM
So legend and memories have it, Robb, but in general Motown didn't log recordings when the studio was hired out to another company, and the Tri-Phi acts' recordings don't start appearing until mid-1963, which was presumably when Gordy acquired Tri-Phi. The Spinners' "All These Things" isn't logged, and the Tape Card just says the original source was a Tri-Phi tape.

I'm sure you know that the story goes that Ollie McLaughlin recorded "My Mama Told Me" on Barbara Lewis at the Snakepit, but that one isn't logged either.
So, then Gwen and Harvey were treated as any outsiders leasing the "Snakepit" for X number of hours, and paying for recording services, and, of course, these transactions weren't on the Motown company logs. But, the time leasing transaction with Tri-Phi Records should have been on Motown's Recording Studio's leasing log. But, the names of the artists and songs recorded probably would not be.

copley
01-04-2017, 12:49 PM
It's now on Amazon UK & iTunes UK :)

TomatoTom123
01-04-2017, 01:15 PM
It's now on Amazon UK & iTunes UK :)

YES!!!!!!! Thanks copley :)

zani57
01-04-2017, 07:13 PM
I looked and did not see this posted yet. Forgive me if i missed it --

https://theseconddisc.com/2017/01/aint-too-proud-to-beg-new-digital-releases-premiere-unreleased-beach-boys-and-motown-featuring-marvin-gaye-supremes-temptations-and-many-more/

copley
01-04-2017, 07:26 PM
I looked and did not see this posted yet. Forgive me if i missed it --

https://theseconddisc.com/2017/01/aint-too-proud-to-beg-new-digital-releases-premiere-unreleased-beach-boys-and-motown-featuring-marvin-gaye-supremes-temptations-and-many-more/

Thanks Zani57 :)

144man
01-05-2017, 07:55 PM
I downloaded and listened to all the tracks in one session last night and I love most of the tracks, although I'm not keen on the standards as they don't have that Motown sound.

In my opinion, the Brenda Holloway and the Gladys Knight & the Pips tracks steal the show, and the writer/producers Weatherspoon/Dean, Fuqua/Bristol and Ivy Jo Hunter have the best work.

My favourite Isley Brothers Motown record is "Got To Have You Back", so a special mention for the less-harpsichord-dominated alternative version included here, which is outstanding.

motown01
01-06-2017, 01:08 AM
I downloaded and listened to all the tracks in one session last night and I love most of the tracks, although I'm not keen on the standards as they don't have that Motown sound.

In my opinion, the Brenda Holloway and the Gladys Knight & the Pips tracks steal the show, and the writer/producers Weatherspoon/Dean, Fuqua/Bristol and Ivy Jo Hunter have the best work.

My favourite Isley Brothers Motown record is "Got To Have You Back", so a special mention for the less-harpsichord-dominated alternative version included here, which is outstanding.

I second this. You're Gone [[But Always In My Heart) is the best track on the entire thing, in my opinion. Absolutely insane that it was hidden away for 50 years.

144man
01-07-2017, 05:49 PM
"Don't Compare Me With Her" is also very good, but it doesn't quite send the same chills down my spine that Kim Weston's version did.

snakepit
01-08-2017, 07:20 PM
A number of these 1966 unreleased tracks are featured on my latest online radio show.
Tune in anytime on:

Www.mixcloud.com/snakepit2648/

Some great tunes...

MelodyMan
01-20-2017, 04:28 AM
Motown Unreleased 1966 now available in Germany :)

https://www.amazon.de/Motown-Unreleased-1966-Various-artists/dp/B01MZ68VFQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1484900219&sr=1-5&keywords=motown+unreleased