PDA

View Full Version : Hilarious cover of Work That Body

test

Jaap
12-05-2016, 12:38 PM
Just came across this hilarious cover of Work That Body. What were they thinking? But interestingly, the performance reveals just how the strong the instrumentation of this song actually is--quite funky!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENRCdlsEAac

Ollie9
12-05-2016, 04:02 PM
What can one say. They are trying hard bless them.
I have always liked "Work That Body". For me it and "Mirror Mirror are the only two highlights from WDFFIL. They save the album from being total pop schlock.

Jaap
12-05-2016, 04:23 PM
I have always liked "Work That Body". For me it and "Mirror Mirror are the only two highlights from WDFFIL. They save the album from being total pop schlock.

I also love Sweet Surrender... I think that's a really Hidden Gem. Agree with the rest of the album... loved it when I was a teenager, but really hasn't stand the test of time.

Ollie9
12-05-2016, 06:11 PM
I also love Sweet Surrender... I think that's a really Hidden Gem. Agree with the rest of the album... loved it when I was a teenager, but really hasn't stand the test of time.

"Sweet Surrender" for me would work better had it been a stand-alone performance. So many of Diana's vocals on WDFFIL were breathy and mushy. On this song the breathless vocals work as they did on "Muscles", but i still don't really regard it as a particularly strong song.

Bluebrock
12-05-2016, 06:45 PM
Mirror mirror was by far the best track on an average album. Work that body was different but far from great. Sweet Surrender was pleasant enough but hardly memorable .

Glenpwood
12-05-2016, 08:29 PM
Fun fact - if you stick to just chart peaks in the UK, Work That Body [[#7) out-peaked some of Diana's more acknowledged classics like Touch Me In The Morning [[#8), Love Hangover [[#10), and I'm Coming Out [[#13).

sansradio
12-05-2016, 08:44 PM

"Sweet Surrender" has an interesting backstory. It was written and composed by two fans who submitted the song for Diana's approval. She liked it and the rest is history.

I've always had a soft spot for "Think I'm in Love." There's something about it that sends me...it's so quintessentially Diana.

johnjeb
12-06-2016, 12:12 AM
I used Google to translate the info about the group - they appear to be Russian.

St. Petersburg ensemble. We play for friends and fun company Disco-, Funk-music 70-80-ies, with which it all began.

We are inspired by Chic, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, Cheryl Lynn, Sister Sledge, The Earth Wind & Fire, Willie Hutch, Oliver Cheatham. We are trying to recreate their warm good atmosphere.

Ollie9
12-06-2016, 06:52 AM
Fun fact - if you stick to just chart peaks in the UK, Work That Body [[#7) out-peaked some of Diana's more acknowledged classics like Touch Me In The Morning [[#8), Love Hangover [[#10), and I'm Coming Out [[#13).

The song was really popular in the UK, and i'm sure was played in gyms and fitness studios the length and breadth of the country. It is still a great motivational song to work out to even now.
It's interesting that it charted higher then songs that are considered Diana classics.
Diana's popularity at the time was such that she only had to put out half decent material, as this song proved and it would have charted well.
Songs such as "It's Never To Late" or "So Close" were simply not good enough. Even for a performer who's popularity was at it's peak.

Jaap
12-06-2016, 11:51 AM
I actually L-O-V-E-D Work That Body when it came out; I was 13 at the time and I though--as did many of my peers--that the song was "hot" and "happening," and it was one of the few songs we could actually sing along quite easily, as we were not that fluent in English. Diana's performance of Work That Body was a highlight for me at her concert in Rotterdam in 1982. Now, in retrospect, I recognize that it was a novelty song, and not the best Paul Jabara wrote and produced [[I think his work is great)--mostly because of the aerobics theme, which, again in retrospect, is rather silly and definitely dated. But musically, this is one of the stronger songs of the album and fits quite nicely with Mirror Mirror-- just listen to the guitars--and Work That Body is similar in sound to Mirror Mirror, but while the latter is more Rock, Work That Body is quite funky; it's the lyrics and topic, not the music and sound, that make this song seem dated in 2016.

Jaap
12-06-2016, 11:55 AM
And of course, Paul Jabara is a master of writing clever [[yet sometimes silly) lyrics: "every morning when I wake, to make up for that piece of cake, I ate last night" [[Work That Body); "instead of the plumber, I called Donna Summer, waiting for seventeen rings" [[Never Lose Your Sense of Humor). Always wondered if Ross ever consider to record Ladies Hot Line that she co-wrote with Jabara herself [[it was recorded eventually by The Weather Girls)...

Ollie9
12-06-2016, 01:51 PM
And of course, Paul Jabara is a master of writing clever [[yet sometimes silly) lyrics: "every morning when I wake, to make up for that piece of cake, I ate last night" [[Work That Body); "instead of the plumber, I called Donna Summer, waiting for seventeen rings" [[Never Lose Your Sense of Humor). Always wondered if Ross ever consider to record Ladies Hot Line that she co-wrote with Jabara herself [[it was recorded eventually by The Weather Girls)...

I'm kind of glad she chose not to Jaap, although it's not really that bad a song. Do you know the year it was written?.I was eighteen when WTB was released as a single and your right, it was considered quite cutting edge at the time.
I have always thought it a shame that "Love Lies", assuming it was recorded the same time as songs from WDFFIL was not on the album. It would have made for a decent 4th single from the project.

jobeterob
12-06-2016, 02:03 PM
The two other songs that come to mind off WDFFIL are It's Never Too Late and Think I'm In Love; well I also liked Sweet Nothings.

I think there is a reason this album sold well and the single sold well - straight, unabashed, pop songs that appeal to the masses.

But real fans are looking for Good Morning Heartache and Summertime etc.

florence
12-06-2016, 02:04 PM
The song was really popular in the UK, and i'm sure was played in gyms and fitness studios the length and breadth of the country. It is still a great motivational song to work out to even now.
It's interesting that it charted higher then songs that are considered Diana classics.
Diana's popularity at the time was such that she only had to put out half decent material, as this song proved and it would have charted well.
Songs such as "It's Never To Late" or "So Close" were simply not good enough. Even for a performer who's popularity was at it's peak.

And yet Mirror Mirror the single between Fools and Body and which is regarded very highly by many of Diana's fans performed only mediocrely in the UK.

Ollie9
12-06-2016, 02:48 PM
And yet Mirror Mirror the single between Fools and Body and which is regarded very highly by many of Diana's fans performed only mediocrely in the UK.

It did indeed florence. The UK never took to Diana in the guise of rock chick. Funky yes, rock no no. Thats why "Swept Away" was never released a a single here. Had it been i doubt it would have done well.

Jaap
12-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Mirror Mirror did okay in The Netherlands, though disappointing as Why Do Fools Fall In Love hit #1 here [[Diana's first and only #1 in the Netherlands, not counting "A Brand New Day" by The Wiz Stars, which also hit #1). Work That Body was a bigger hit, but many of my friends really enjoyed Mirror Mirror, although it was too "rock" for me...

Ollie9
12-07-2016, 05:18 AM
The two other songs that come to mind off WDFFIL are It's Never Too Late and Think I'm In Love; well I also liked Sweet Nothings.

I think there is a reason this album sold well and the single sold well - straight, unabashed, pop songs that appeal to the masses.

But real fans are looking for Good Morning Heartache and Summertime etc.

I think the album sold well because her profile was high, she was coming off a hit album [[diana) and a string of hits. Not for the commercial appeal of the majority of it's songs.
The single release of WDFFIL was guaranteed to appeal to the masses and remains even today a crowd pleaser when performed in concert.
I remember friends of mine who had quite liked "The Boss" and "diana" albums teasing me and calling it dross.......while i tried desperately to like it.
My god!!!! that was 35 years ago..............Gee.