PDA

View Full Version : TNT now

test

BritishTony
12-01-2016, 10:43 AM
SawTempts & Tops in Gateshead [[UK) couple of weeks ago and they were bothamazingly good.
I’veseen both groups in many of their incarnations including the original membersand in the last decade was often disappointed. But I have to say for me thecurrent lineups are by far the best replacements yet.

Larrywas tremendous, much more Ali-Ollie than a Dennis or David in his voice but absolutelyno problem with that. Noone will ever replace Melvin but Willlie Green’s deepwarm is for me the closest since Harry McGilberry.

Nowa massive confession: the Temptations have been my Motown #1 since ‘64 but evenI have to admit the Tops were better on that recent night!! In the past TheoPeoples was just so wrong to my ears [[also while in the Tempts) and RonnieMcNeir, much as I adore his solo work, never did it for me – though impressivenow he’s not singing Levi’s parts - but Spike is wonderful. Not trying to beLevi but evoking that mood so well. Laurence Payton Jr seems to be taking onthe mantle of Obie with his lively stage persona and their whole show just feltmore relaxed & confident than my beloved Temptations. Don’t misunderstand,Otis, Ron & the boys were great but Duke’s team beat them by a nose thistime.

Wewere also honoured by having Earl Van Dyke Jr leading the Tops’ band. He’sheavier than his dad ever was and the Tops referred to him lovingly as “Tiny”! Boy,we are so darned lucky to have these guys sing and play for us and we reallyshould treasure them. That evening the world felt a far better place.

woodward
12-01-2016, 03:05 PM
TNT:

Nice writeup with good reporting on the performances. I see that you are a new member as this is post #2. Welcome aboard and please keep checking the forum and contributing. Nice to have new members.

TomatoTom123
12-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Yes indeed! Delightful post, BritishTony. :)

soulwally
12-02-2016, 08:47 PM
TNT:

Nice writeup with good reporting on the performances. I see that you are a new member as this is post #2. Welcome aboard and please keep checking the forum and contributing. Nice to have new members.
I've got to echo Woodward's comments. Excellent, intelligent summing up of the groups. I've seen you tube clips plus the Jools Holland of the current Tempts and they look a great line-up.
When I saw the two groups together I think theo was singing lead with the Tops and Ronnie M just had the one lead, Ask The Lonely, which was brilliant. Does he still do it now?

nomis
12-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Jools Holland is a national treasure.