PDA

View Full Version : Motown stories told on Audio Books...

test

nomis
11-26-2016, 07:42 PM
I have been collecting cassette tapes of Audio Books released by the Motown family and artists..i find them fascinating the spoken word is more powerful and intimate than the written word so far I have - Diana "Secrets of a Sparrow" [[where she goes into great detail on Florence)..Mary's "Supreme Faith".Berry Gordys "To Be Loved'..Raynoma Gordy "Berry me & Motown" [[which a friend heard when he was over for coffee and knew nothing of Motown and listened spellbound)...can anyone please let me know of any others released ? I love them...thank you

marv2
11-27-2016, 06:58 PM
Was Mary's "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme" also and audio book?

thommg
11-28-2016, 01:25 PM
I have been collecting cassette tapes of Audio Books released by the Motown family and artists..i find them fascinating the spoken word is more powerful and intimate than the written word so far I have - Diana "Secrets of a Sparrow" [[where she goes into great detail on Florence)..Mary's "Supreme Faith".Berry Gordys "To Be Loved'..Raynoma Gordy "Berry me & Motown" [[which a friend heard when he was over for coffee and knew nothing of Motown and listened spellbound)...can anyone please let me know of any others released ? I love them...thank you

Nomis, I admit I never looked for any of the audio versions of the Motown books. Do the authors read them or are they someone else? I did a search on them but Amazon does not have the readers listed.

sansradio
11-28-2016, 01:52 PM
You didn't ask me, but I know that Diana reads "Secrets..." herself. I used to own the audiobook.

reese
11-28-2016, 03:01 PM
Mary reads SUPREME FAITH, and throws in a bit of singing at times as well. I believe Berry reads TO BE LOVED but I haven't listened to it in a while. I'm not sure if Raynoma does the reading for her book as I have never seen a copy of the audio cassette.

midnightman
11-28-2016, 04:44 PM
Marvin's Divided Soul had an audio book.

nomis
11-30-2016, 08:12 PM
yes Raynoma reads her autobiography as does Berry

greg jones
12-01-2016, 06:22 AM
I have the Diana Ross "Secrets Of A Sparrow" cassette someplace in storage. haven't come to it yet. If memory serves, i believe that it was an abridged version of her book. Will be a while longer before i find it in storage as i'm in the process of moving down to Long Beach.

Has anyone covered this cassette to mp3 for digital enjoyment ?

greg jones
now of Long Beach, CA

jobucats
12-01-2016, 09:06 AM
I have the Diana Ross "Secrets Of A Sparrow" cassette someplace in storage. haven't come to it yet. If memory serves, i believe that it was an abridged version of her book. Will be a while longer before i find it in storage as i'm in the process of moving down to Long Beach.

Has anyone covered this cassette to mp3 for digital enjoyment ?

greg jones
now of Long Beach, CA
I actually have Secrets of a Sparrow converted for "digital enjoyment" [[SMILE) and it's in my iTunes library to enjoy on my iPhone and in my car. It is an abridged version. At the beginning, the audio production has her speaking in a room with reverberation before continuing in an effects-free sound booth. I love how distinctly she speaks.
One thing that I did not like about the book, however, is that it appears to jump back and forth chronologically oftentimes for no apparent reason.

marv2
12-01-2016, 03:30 PM
I actually have Secrets of a Sparrow converted for "digital enjoyment" [[SMILE) and it's in my iTunes library to enjoy on my iPhone and in my car. It is an abridged version. At the beginning, the audio production has her speaking in a room with reverberation before continuing in an effects-free sound booth. I love how distinctly she speaks.
One thing that I did not like about the book, however, is that it appears to jump back and forth chronologically oftentimes for no apparent reason.

Hopefully, it is the very, very abridged version.........................hehehehehehehehe!

nomis
12-01-2016, 05:47 PM
Marv2 behave !..strange how theres no audio book for Wilson's "Dream girl" which was such a huge seller and yet she did one for "Supreme Faith" which hardly anyone on the planet bought !!