PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Grammy Nominee...... Mary Wilson!

test

marv2
11-26-2016, 12:58 PM
Congratulations going out to Ms. Mary Wilson for being nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Traditional R&B Performance
Mary Wilson - 'You Dance My Heart Around the Stars'
From: California Feeling 2 - Stephen Kalinich and Friends

To listen:
http://www.rradiomusic.com/gallery-player/mary_wilson.htm

Way to go Mary!

Luciano
11-26-2016, 04:20 PM
That is awesome she got a nomination. Who are the other nominees Marv?

jobucats
11-26-2016, 05:40 PM
Wow! I read that the Grammy nominations will be revealed on December 6, however, apparently some categories are announced in advance of that date. What's the source for this information? Great honor!

arr&bee
11-26-2016, 07:32 PM
Go get it mary!!

jobucats
11-26-2016, 08:03 PM
Was Mary/her song actually nominated for a Grammy Award, or was it that her song was placed on the official ballot for consideration for a nomination? From my research, there is a difference. I love the song and Mary's presentation of it, however, because of my lack of knowledge, I find it rather odd that a song from long ago would emerge as a contender.

luke
11-26-2016, 08:31 PM
I'm guessing it can be as it was never released and was put out on a new cd this year

marv2
11-26-2016, 09:25 PM
That is awesome she got a nomination. Who are the other nominees Marv?

It is absolutely awesome Luciano! I don't know who the other nominees are yet, but I will post them when I find out.

marv2
11-26-2016, 09:27 PM
Wow! I read that the Grammy nominations will be revealed on December 6, however, apparently some categories are announced in advance of that date. What's the source for this information? Great honor!

The source is Mary herself. She would love for all of us to share this bit of news with everyone that we can. She feels that we are responsible because of all the support shown to her all of these years.

marv2
11-26-2016, 09:29 PM
Was Mary/her song actually nominated for a Grammy Award, or was it that her song was placed on the official ballot for consideration for a nomination? From my research, there is a difference. I love the song and Mary's presentation of it, however, because of my lack of knowledge, I find it rather odd that a song from long ago would emerge as a contender.

Well technically, it is a new release being that Motown never released the song and others produced by Gus Dudgeon back in 1980. It was finally released within the last year.

TomatoTom123
11-26-2016, 09:33 PM
Well done Mary! Congrats

marv2
11-26-2016, 09:33 PM
I'm guessing it can be as it was never released and was put out on a new cd this year

Luke, I echo what you wrote before seeing your posting, but you are correct.

franjoy56
11-26-2016, 09:46 PM
And imremember mary performing that song on the black stage back in the early 80s motown dropped the ball on this it should have been released before motown dropped her. Cream always rises to the top

marv2
11-26-2016, 11:42 PM
And imremember mary performing that song on the black stage back in the early 80s motown dropped the ball on this it should have been released before motown dropped her. Cream always rises to the top

Mary is proving to be the Cream of the Crop! Pun intended.

luke
11-27-2016, 12:01 AM
And as Berry said the glue that held it all together!

marv2
11-27-2016, 12:44 AM
And as Berry said the glue that held it all together!

She has held up better than most from the 60s era. She is one of the very, very few who's gotten better over time. Her voice is as powerful now than it was years ago.

bradsupremes
11-27-2016, 01:02 AM
I think there may be some confusion here. I believe the song was submitted for consideration to be nominated for Best Traditional R&B Performance. I haven't found any information that the song was officially nominated.

midnightman
11-27-2016, 02:34 AM
I was about to write the same thing, Brad. And no, no nomination is ever announced early. All nominations are announced in December, in this case, December 6th. So let's wait before we pop open the champagne.

daviddh
11-27-2016, 12:10 PM
congratulations..but it is strange to me that her last single wasn't the song she was nominated for. Movin On?
I think it is strange that DR , BLUE album was refused nomination because the recordings were to old yet this track was recorded around 1980 but yet is being considered??
either way wishing the best.

captainjames
11-27-2016, 06:59 PM
you are correct.

I think there may be some confusion here. I believe the song was submitted for consideration to be nominated for Best Traditional R&B Performance. I haven't found any information that the song was officially nominated.

marv2
11-27-2016, 07:15 PM
For those who have not heard the song.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mypa4-NNMUk

midnightman
11-28-2016, 12:17 AM
congratulations..but it is strange to me that her last single wasn't the song she was nominated for. Movin On?
I think it is strange that DR , BLUE album was refused nomination because the recordings were to old yet this track was recorded around 1980 but yet is being considered??
either way wishing the best.

I don't know if anyone submitted Blue. We'll see on the 6th [[that's when nominations are announced).

jobeterob
11-28-2016, 01:35 PM
Blue wasn't eligible as being recorded years before.

There likely was some embellishment to Mary's song that has made it rerecorded last year and thus eligible.

midnightman
11-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Judging from the OP, yeah she re-recorded it. Reminds me of when some artists got Grammy nods for live recordings of songs from the past like Beyonce released a live version of a song she recorded a few years before and that got her a nod.

arr&bee
11-28-2016, 05:03 PM
she has held up better than most from the 60s era. She is one of the very, very few who's gotten better over time. Her voice is as powerful now than it was years ago.yeah and she's still fine too!!!

marv2
11-28-2016, 05:51 PM
yeah and she's still fine too!!!

So, so fine..........Fine as wine!

mike_sku
12-04-2016, 04:48 PM
With this nomination [[and hopefully a Grammy win for Mary), wouldn't this be a great time for Mary's solo Motown output to be reissued on CD?

marv2
12-04-2016, 06:00 PM
With this nomination [[and hopefully a Grammy win for Mary), wouldn't this be a great time for Mary's solo Motown output to be reissued on CD?

It would make sense.

midnightman
12-04-2016, 06:03 PM
December 6th. December 6th. Wait until Tuesday when the Grammys announced nominations before we pop open the champagne.

marv2
12-04-2016, 06:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxnHN9BrjWQ

TomatoTom123
12-04-2016, 08:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxnHN9BrjWQ

Wow, I love that, thanks Marv!

marv2
12-04-2016, 08:37 PM
Wow, I love that, thanks Marv!

You are welcome.

Laserdk
12-05-2016, 07:10 AM
Shame there wasn't more tracks of that quality on Mary's rather disappointing solo album. I think the planned but cancelled second album produced by Gus Dudgeon would have been better.

Ivor

bradsupremes
12-06-2016, 10:03 AM
The Grammy Nominations were announced this morning and I checked to see if Mary was nominated. She wasn't. Like I said, Mary never said she was nominated, but rather the recording was submitted for consideration to be nominated.

honest man
12-06-2016, 10:52 AM
The Grammy Nominations were announced this morning and I checked to see if Mary was nominated. She wasn't. Like I said, Mary never said she was nominated, but rather the recording was submitted for consideration to be nominated.Poor Poor Mary always the Bridesmaid,never mind another 40 years maybe.cheers.

Glenpwood
12-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Yeah I can see how there would have been confusion over Mary's potential nomination. A lot of heritage artists hyped their work [[or had promo people & fans do it) in my Facebook feed this year when it was ruled their work was eligible for a nomination - see Melissa Manchester & Toni Tennile as well - in hopes of landing in the top 5 final list. While I figured Mary was a longshot, I was more surprised to see Aretha snubbed for that Divas album. Usually if she or Stevie coughs near a microphone the academy lines up to toss them one of the available slots.

Jimi LaLumia
12-06-2016, 11:16 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/grammy-nominations-2017-complete-list-nominees-952724/item/grammy-nominations-best-pop-vocal-album-952784?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR%20Breaking%20News_now_2016-12-06%2005:49:01_HLewis&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews

jobeterob
12-06-2016, 11:25 AM
The Grammy Nominations were announced this morning and I checked to see if Mary was nominated. She wasn't. Like I said, Mary never said she was nominated, but rather the recording was submitted for consideration to be nominated.

Brad - the voice of rationality and reason

Now Beyoncé is the most nominated woman and closing in on Allison Krause's win record. Aretha will be pissed and will soon issue a statement

bradsupremes
12-06-2016, 11:43 AM
I was more surprised to see Aretha snubbed for that Divas album. Usually if she or Stevie coughs near a microphone the academy lines up to toss them one of the available slots.

LOL! Yeah, a friend told me Aretha could fart on a record and they'd throw Grammys at it.

midnightman
12-06-2016, 01:31 PM
I'm glad they didn't give Aretha any nods because honestly the album wasn't really that good.

As for the nods, hate to say I told you so but... lol

Lol at jobeterob saying she might call a press conference now that Beyonce got more nods than any woman in the show's history.

jack020
12-06-2016, 01:43 PM
No comment from the person who started this topic?

Roberta75
12-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Yeah I can see how there would have been confusion over Mary's potential nomination. A lot of heritage artists hyped their work [[or had promo people & fans do it) in my Facebook feed this year when it was ruled their work was eligible for a nomination - see Melissa Manchester & Toni Tennile as well - in hopes of landing in the top 5 final list. While I figured Mary was a longshot, I was more surprised to see Aretha snubbed for that Divas album. Usually if she or Stevie coughs near a microphone the academy lines up to toss them one of the available slots.

The confusion was started by the person who started this here thread imo.

jobeterob
12-06-2016, 02:06 PM
It looks like there was not a Motown related anything in the nominations.

About as close as we'll get is that Beyonce is the Ross clone these days - and she's a good one.

When an artist gets old, sometimes it's just best to fade gracefully. Aretha Franklin had a remarkable voice but it is not remarkable anymore. People that never used their voices much, like Mary Wilson, sometimes saved what they had. Aretha's has not been saved. And she needs to relax and enjoy all the great that happened to her and not bother about Tina Turner being called the Queen of Soul or Beyonce selling millions more recordings than she did.

Roberta75
12-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Mary Wilson also wasnt real honest on her initial facebook post.
Mary Wilson [[https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1132599217&fref=nf)
November 20 at 10:26am ˇ YouTube

[[http://www.youtube.com/?feature=fbr)This song from 1979 is up for a Grammy! We the Supremes never got one at the time when we had 12 # one's

She did add another post 5 days later that was more honest and told the truth.
Mary Wilson [[https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1132599217&fref=nf)
November 25 at 8:13pm ˇ
Hi Everyone :
I have great news to share!! I have been placed on this year's Official Ballot for the 59th Annual
Grammy Awards by The Recording Academy in the following category:

Best Traditional R&B Performance
Mary Wilson - 'You Dance My Heart Around the Stars'
From: California Feeling 2 - Stephen Kalinich and Friends
To listen:
http://www.rradiomusic.com/gallery-player/mary_wilson.htm [[http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rradiomusic.com%2Fgallery-player%2Fmary_wilson.htm&h=EAQEPzZwDAQHfpdB3s-AK2QDLL80Si1WfmyyuykQncIjqKQ&enc=AZOqxXQlxaQQEjbBD0qfRzPAsCkNaI0tDho2qGG5KIwyER 0yGA-S0rMQxy6oAbI9TWSji2qo5CzPSaXe-VNMIcVuaLdUk12bRbApXghhXl76ipHFozvfZ8vhEhMZRGthEVl 2CYMUB78dRf0CQfTnl0osmzIBr4bMuV7Z30r4IssL2vqJkC_N9 1mscFOpVKJ01O0&s=1)
It's an honor to be placed on the ballot and I would still appreciate you
spreading the word to everyone you know about this great moment. After
all, this has all happened because of your amazing support over the years.
Feel free to reach out to everyone you know on Facebook, Twitter, and all
other social media sites.
Thanks so much for all of your help and consideration.
Sincerely,
Mary

Bluebrock
12-06-2016, 02:15 PM
It is scheduled for release next year.

Bluebrock
12-06-2016, 02:19 PM
No comment from the person who started this topic?
He will be licking his wounds and thinking of some way to have yet another pop at Diana Ross now his fabricated story has been exposed.

blackguy69
12-06-2016, 02:50 PM
I see Congeniality is not a virtue on this board. Some of those on here need to back off with your catty attacks

midnightman
12-06-2016, 04:00 PM
I don't know about others but I wasn't trying to be a diva about it. I just said that nominations don't get announced until a certain date. The OP just jumped a gun and posted a thread without really knowing the details but it wasn't really his fault since Mary herself hyped it up until correcting herself as Roberta75 showed. For Mary to make a comeback big enough for a Grammy nod, I hope she gets signed to that Anti- label if it's still around and re-invent herself like Bettye LaVette did.

Roberta75
12-06-2016, 04:49 PM
I don't know about others but I wasn't trying to be a diva about it. I just said that nominations don't get announced until a certain date. The OP just jumped a gun and posted a thread without really knowing the details but it wasn't really his fault since Mary herself hyped it up until correcting herself as Roberta75 showed. For Mary to make a comeback big enough for a Grammy nod, I hope she gets signed to that Anti- label if it's still around and re-invent herself like Bettye LaVette did.

Me neither and mary also pushed this Grammy nonination story on November 15 as well as November 20 before correcting it on November 25. This thread was started on November 26 so it should have been clear to everyone then that this was just a ballot considerattion and not a nomination.

Mary Wilson [[https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1132599217&fref=ufi) To welcome in the New Years, one of my Unreleased recordings 'YOU DANCED MY HEART AROUND THE STARS', has been nominated for a Grammy! It is on an album called 'CALIFORNIA FEELING'.
You see when motown released me from my recording contract in 1979, this was the reason why, they did not like the recordings that Gus Dudgeon had produced on me, so the hold project was dropped & so was I.
More to come later!!!Like [[https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1132599217&fref=ts#) ˇ Reply [[https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1132599217&fref=ts#) ˇ 10 [[https://www.facebook.com/browse/likes?id=10210253895600461) ˇ November 15 at 5:37pm

midnightman
12-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Interesting of the timeline. Just makes it more suspicious but anyway, let's move on from this. Mary still has a fabulous career, Grammy or no Grammy.

TheMotownManiac
12-06-2016, 05:38 PM
Mary's vocal is very good and shows off her great voice, but her vocal artistry isn't stupendous - it's very good, but not all of her riffs on this track impress me. If she had been nominated it would have been deserved, pending competition of course, but it's not exactly a home run. I could easily see her nominated in 1980 for R&B performance and winning, however. She IS very good.

Roberta75
12-06-2016, 06:09 PM
Interesting of the timeline. Just makes it more suspicious but anyway, let's move on from this. Mary still has a fabulous career, Grammy or no Grammy.

Exactly. Subject closed as far as im concerned.

midnightman
12-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Mary's vocal is very good and shows off her great voice, but her vocal artistry isn't stupendous - it's very good, but not all of her riffs on this track impress me. If she had been nominated it would have been deserved, pending competition of course, but it's not exactly a home run. I could easily see her nominated in 1980 for R&B performance and winning, however. She IS very good.

Yeah about 1980. Stephanie Mills called. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LExCRKCS5SM

marv2
12-06-2016, 10:10 PM
I am happy that Mary is getting the right kind of attention!

jobeterob
12-06-2016, 10:40 PM
Somehow or other, either her own doing or screwy advice, Mary gets in these awkward positions where it's so clear to any unbiased observer that she would have been better off if everyone had never said a word.

And it starts looking like the politicians that always lie