PDA

View Full Version : "lost" Marvelettes album :)

test

sup_fan
11-25-2016, 02:38 PM
ok - not really an actual lost or unreleased album. but certainly a lost opportunity. while motown was focusing on the Supremes, the Marvelettes still made some strong recordings. Everyone focuses on the "relaunch" of the girls with Smokey and Don't Mess With Bill. And they always seem to divide the Marvelettes story into the Gladys/Postman era and the Wanda/Dont Mess era. Both of those eras are great. But i think they had a great middle period too. less silly girl group and more r&b. lots of brass and horns to their tracks, a bit more aggressive of a sound.

Too Many Fish in the Sea is one of my all time fav motown songs!

it's a shame that once Martha and then the Sups got hits, the company really dropped the ball with the Marvelettes. was thinking they could have released an album after Danger was released.

Side 1
Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead
Your Cheating ways
No Time For Tears
Learning to Forget You
I should have known Better
Too Many Fish in the Sea

Side 2
I'll Keep Holding On
The Train That's Bringing My Baby
Maybe I Dried My Tears for the last Time
Anything you Wanna do
You're My Remedy
I Just Can't Let Him down

luke
11-25-2016, 02:56 PM
I'll Keep On Holdin on is my fave Marvelette song. Love that period. Good points!

Motown Eddie
11-25-2016, 05:19 PM
I agree that there should've been a Marvelettes LP in 1965. They definitely had enough great songs at the time to make a great one. I would've called it Too Many Fish In The Sea​.

blackguy69
11-26-2016, 01:51 AM
If you think about it it was actually divided by 61-64 Gladys years and 65-70 Wanda years. After Too Many Fish in the Sea, that was when the focus was shifted to Wanda

theboyfromxtown
11-26-2016, 06:00 AM
There's also a strong case for a missing Vandellas album but this was a period when there was a concentration of effort to maintain the most profitable act at that time

mysterysinger
11-26-2016, 11:13 AM
In 1965, what we actually got in the UK was The Marvellous Marvelettes [[TML11008).

Track list.....
A1 As Long As I Know He's Mine
A2 Strange I Know
A3 Love Letters
A4 I Forgot About You
A5 Which Way Did He Go
A6 Silly Boy
B1 Its Gonna Take A Lot Of Doing [[to Undo All The Damage That You've Done)
B2 My Daddy Knows Best
B3 Good Luck Charm
B4 A Little Bit Of Sympathy, A Little Bit Of Love
B5 A Need For Love
B6 Why Must You Go

Luciano
11-26-2016, 04:18 PM
Great job Sup_fan for putting that lost album together!

kenneth
11-26-2016, 06:07 PM
Back in the days of cassette tapes, I mixed my own "Rare Masters" sets for both the Marvelettes and the Vandellas. I loved the mid-year periods for both groups, and both made some of my favorite songs. I think several that I liked were written by Ivy Jo Hunter who also seemed to lend a certain "darkness" to his songs, like "Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead" and "You've Been in Love Too Long." A great period for both groups even if they weren't racking up #1 hits. Love others from this period as well, like "You're My Remedy," [[of course) "Too Many Fish in the Sea," and especially "My Baby Loves Me," none of which got their own albums, either!