PDA

View Full Version : Supremes Ed Sullivan: Come See About Me...COLOR??

test

imakicola
11-25-2016, 05:22 AM
Ok so on my DVD it is in black and white. So my assumption is that it was broadcast in black and white.

BUT.

Not only is it on YouTube in color ... but their dresses are pink! Despite me having seen images from that performance where their dresses are blue and Diana even says "light blue dresses" over the footage in her evening with Diana special.

My questions.

1. Where does this color footage come from?
2. Was color added later?
3. Which color was the real color? Pink or blue?

It would be great if anyone knows! Thanks!

Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/NoOsosfBrnw

I'm going to look for the blue photos!

imakicola
11-25-2016, 05:42 AM
Ps. I'm starting to wonder if the blue dress pictures were fan edited!

Jaap
11-25-2016, 05:52 AM
When the color was added, I don't know, but when VH1 started to show music segments as of the Ed Sullivan Show as "music videos" in the 1990s, the "Come See About Me" footage was already colored. Also on later VHS and DVD compilations, they are wearing pink dresses [[which indeed was not the original color).

imakicola
11-25-2016, 05:54 AM
Or maybe I imagined them. But Diana definitely described them as blue!

marv2
11-25-2016, 09:21 AM
Ok so on my DVD it is in black and white. So my assumption is that it was broadcast in black and white.

BUT.

Not only is it on YouTube in color ... but their dresses are pink! Despite me having seen images from that performance where their dresses are blue and Diana even says "light blue dresses" over the footage in her evening with Diana special.

My questions.

1. Where does this color footage come from?
2. Was color added later?
3. Which color was the real color? Pink or blue?

It would be great if anyone knows! Thanks!

Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/NoOsosfBrnw

I'm going to look for the blue photos!

It was originally broadcast in B/W. It as "colorized" back in the early 90s. The dresses were light blue. We had three sets of those similar style dress in 3 different colors [[dark green, blue and pink)at the Hitsville Museum in the late 80s.

marv2
11-25-2016, 09:23 AM
Or maybe I imagined them. But Diana definitely described them as blue!

They were blue. They wore them at the Christmas Show at the Fox in Detroit. A small piece of footage in color of that show was included in the Motown 40 TV special. The one Ross hosted.

nomis
11-26-2016, 09:57 PM
definetley light blue..I love this clip..it turned them overnight into the country's sweethearts the whole country was talking of them the next day..Diana's eye popping and pizzaz..Flo 's endearing slightly tottering on her heels and Mary smooth and winning smile..one of the most important moments in African American televison history..thou the girls were less than pleased - there was a frantic rush backstage to re -do their make up after they despaired at CBS staff efforts and the secound song they were supposed to perform was cancelled at the last minute..but Sullivan loved them and they were in..and the rest is history....

sansradio
11-26-2016, 10:05 PM
definetley light blue..I love this clip..it turned them overnight into the country's sweethearts the whole country was talking of them the next day..Diana's eye popping and pizzaz..Flo 's endearing slightly tottering on her heels and Mary smooth and winning smile..one of the most important moments in African American televison history..thou the girls were less than pleased - there was a frantic rush backstage to re -do their make up after they despaired at CBS staff efforts and the secound song they were supposed to perform was cancelled at the last minute..but Sullivan loved them and they were in..and the rest is history....

Yes, indeed. As regards the make-up snafu, didn't Flo say something to the effect of "I know I'm Black, but this is ridiculous"?

marv2
11-26-2016, 10:18 PM
Yes, indeed. As regards the make-up snafu, didn't Flo say something to the effect of "I know I'm Black, but this is ridiculous"?

Well they were complaining about the heavy, Egyptian pancake type make up that was applied by the show's makeup people who had very little experience working with black skin. The results make them all look "beige" hehehehehehehehehe!

captainjames
11-26-2016, 10:26 PM
Yes, Ed probably fell in love with them as we did that evening. Ed was glad to always have them on his show.

nomis
11-26-2016, 10:47 PM
teenage Supreme fans such as Luther Vandross,Oprah Winfrey & RuPaul would scan TV Guide for their Ed Sullivan apperances..they became events -a producers dream - not only the number one group in the country but they could turn their hands succesfully to standards,tin pan alley & broadway tunes..with outfits that bedazzled..I was so disapointed with the last Supremes/Ed Sullivan dvd compilation - why not just give us all their performances ? and this after I had already shelled out for the Ed Sullivan dvd box set a decade before that was also incomplete

imakicola
12-12-2016, 07:08 AM
I wish I could find pictures of the blue ! Anyone know what color the background was?

marv2
12-12-2016, 08:53 AM
I wish I could find pictures of the blue ! Anyone know what color the background was?

The background was a white sheet of paper.