PDA

View Full Version : Miss Ray - Raynoma Gordy

test

theboyfromxtown
11-19-2016, 03:10 AM
Can you guys look for some news on Miss Ray please. Antonio Dandridge on Facebook is suggesting some very sad news

johnny_raven
11-19-2016, 03:56 AM
Evidently, she passed away on Nov. 11

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Raynoma-Singleton&lc=2240&pid=182595545&mid=7165318

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/raynoma-singleton-obituary?pid=1000000182595545

theboyfromxtown
11-19-2016, 07:07 AM
THank you JR

RIP Miss Ray

theboyfromxtown
11-19-2016, 08:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VyVF3XDuLk

DWSheffer
11-19-2016, 10:11 AM
Sorry to hear of Miss Ray's passing. There are some very nice photos in the obituary.
Darin

sansradio
11-19-2016, 10:45 AM
Dear Lord, this is terrible news. May one of the architects of the Motown empire rest in peace.

marv2
11-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Condolences to Cliff, Kerry and Baby Girl. Rest in Peace Miss Ray.

woodward
11-19-2016, 04:28 PM
I hope everyone went through and viewed the 162 slides showing Miss Ray's glory days and her sad ending to her life. I can only hope she did not suffer too badly. She has been out of touch with civilization and it is a shame.

Does anyone know when Eddie Singleton passed? There is no obituary per sae telling about former husbands, etc.

I am lucky to have the two vinyl albums in my collection as follows:

Eddie Singleton Presents: SHRINE: The Rarest Soul Label Washington DC 1965 & 1966
and
Eddie Singleton Presents: CAPITAL SOUL: The Sound of D. C. 1965/1966

woodward
11-19-2016, 04:35 PM
I just located some information on Eddie Singleton. He passed in January 2008. I learned a lot from this blog. The most amazing thing I learned from it is that after Miss Ray and he severed their marriage, he was married to none other than Barbara Randolph. How many people knew that? I certainly did not.

http://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.com/2008/01/little-bobby-parker.html

kenneth
11-19-2016, 05:14 PM
I think except for "Dream Girl," hers was the absolutely most fascinating auto- or biography of anyone connected to Motown. Her recall of the early days was simply brilliant, and she had so many illuminating details about Motown in its infancy.

I remember her writing about that early type of synthesizer instrument, the "Ondioline" [[maybe?) that was so prominent on so many early Motown sides such as the Marvelettes' version of "I Want a Guy" [[and in fact was featured on several tunes on the Please Mr. Postman album). She wrote that she bought it at Grinnell's Music Shop in downtown Detroit, a very upscale chain for its time and a store I remember going to downtown during Xmas season.

Such a loss. If you haven't read her book, please do yourself a favor and do so. God bless.

And yes, the photos in the gallery on the obit page are just stunning!

luke
11-19-2016, 07:06 PM
I agree Kenneth.Her book was amazing. I knew Ed had married Barbara R and that Raynima had stayed with them when she was struggling. That's family! I'm shocked by lack of publicity about her death. David Hinckley formerly of NY Daily News now at Huffington Post would write about it but I don't have his new Email. He recently wrote a very nice article about the passing of Ms Johnson of the Dixie Cups.

nomis
11-19-2016, 07:32 PM
very sad news..she was a tough cookie..I got her autobiography on audio cassette..a 20 ish surfer dude who lived in my apartment building popped in for a coffee when I was listening to it and he was transfixed listening to her story..this guy knew nothing of Motown,Gordy or Detroit..he came back the next day to listen to the rest of it..RIP

captainjames
11-19-2016, 07:41 PM
I am kinda of speechless

midnightman
11-19-2016, 10:40 PM
RIP Miss Ray.

kenneth
11-19-2016, 11:21 PM
very sad news..she was a tough cookie..I got her autobiography on audio cassette..a 20 ish surfer dude who lived in my apartment building popped in for a coffee when I was listening to it and he was transfixed listening to her story..this guy knew nothing of Motown,Gordy or Detroit..he came back the next day to listen to the rest of it..RIP

What a great story.

arr&bee
11-20-2016, 09:57 AM
A bummer,one of the queens of motown no doubt,r.i.p.

fatmaninthethirdrow
11-20-2016, 11:31 AM
Her book was the most informative and erudite ever written about Motown.

No wonder BG didnt take to it - too near the truth perhaps?

kenneth
11-20-2016, 11:52 AM
Her book was the most informative and erudite ever written about Motown.

No wonder BG didnt take to it - too near the truth perhaps?

I'm trying to remember if she was even mentioned in "Motown the Musical." I don't seem to think she was...and she was such an equal partner in the early days, what they sometimes refer to as the "salad days" of a company.

I could be wrong. I think there were a couple songs where the show program credited the cast as The Rayber Voices, which of course was Miss Ray's group. But I don't recall whether or not Gordy's marriage to her was ever mentioned in the quickly moving story.

[[And for all you experts out there, wasn't that Berry's 2nd marriage?)

Zantellor
11-20-2016, 01:49 PM
. Loved her book. I really wanted to meet Raynoma at some point in my life. I am disappointed I now never will. He contribution is enormous Thanks for the music

marv2
11-20-2016, 02:13 PM
. Loved her book. I really wanted to meet Raynoma at some point in my life. I am disappointed I now never will. He contribution is enormous Thanks for the music

Hello Mike! How are you buddy?

marv2
11-20-2016, 02:14 PM
I'm trying to remember if she was even mentioned in "Motown the Musical." I don't seem to think she was...and she was such an equal partner in the early days, what they sometimes refer to as the "salad days" of a company.

I could be wrong. I think there were a couple songs where the show program credited the cast as The Rayber Voices, which of course was Miss Ray's group. But I don't recall whether or not Gordy's marriage to her was ever mentioned in the quickly moving story.

[[And for all you experts out there, wasn't that Berry's 2nd marriage?)

Yes it was Berry Gordy's second marriage. They were married in Toledo, Ohio just as he was to his first wife, Thelma.

kenneth
11-20-2016, 02:58 PM
Yes it was Berry Gordy's second marriage. They were married in Toledo, Ohio just as he was to his first wife, Thelma.

Thank you.

Zantellor
11-21-2016, 05:10 AM
Im doing good Marv. Hope everything is good with you . Im going to call you its been too long take care

REDHOT
11-21-2016, 09:13 AM
This was sad news,i also loved her book, i got the chance to meet Raynoma Gordy Singleton,she was a nice person,she had a big laugh,R.I.P Miss Raynoma Gordy Singleton.

motony
11-21-2016, 11:57 AM
RIP, Miss Ray. One of the true pioneers of Motown.

TomatoTom123
11-21-2016, 04:31 PM
Ah, so sad. RIP Miss Raynoma Gordy.