View Full Version : Edna Wright was a stand in for the Supremes

test

theboyfromxtown
11-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Check what she says about Reflections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqtFez3CwVc

marv2
11-18-2016, 05:24 PM
the video is over an hour and a half long. At what point does she discuss this?

marv2
11-18-2016, 05:37 PM
Ok, I found it beginning at the 29:53 mark. It's funny because she says that she stood in for the Supremes in the recording studio to record "Reflections" because the Supremes had to do the T.A.M.I. Show. The show was filmed in 1964, "Reflections" was recorded in 1967. I can't even rationalize that maybe she was used to record a demo of the song for the Supremes to record later, but the time frame is too far apart.

theboyfromxtown
11-18-2016, 05:45 PM
That's not all she says about the Supremes. WOW

theboyfromxtown
11-18-2016, 05:48 PM
I hear you Marv. She later talks about Hal Davis and Frank Wilson..and she says yes when someone says do you mean Show and Tell ....!!

I'm still listening to it. Go to about 1:16 for being with Johnny Rivers who opened for the Supremes when Cindy replaced Florence

marv2
11-18-2016, 06:05 PM
I hear you Marv. She later talks about Hal Davis and Frank Wilson..and she says yes when someone says do you mean Show and Tell ....!!

I'm still listening to it. Go to about 1:16 for being with Johnny Rivers who opened for the Supremes when Cindy replaced Florence

Ok thanks theboyfromxtown and thanks for finding this.

marv2
11-18-2016, 06:07 PM
They were talking about Al Wilson! Now either she really doesn't remember or some of this stuff never happened.

theboyfromxtown
11-18-2016, 06:21 PM
They were talking about Al Wilson! Now either she really doesn't remember or some of this stuff never happened.

I love Edna so much, I want to say...she's confused a few details. Can we agree to give her the benefit of the doubt! LOLOL

marv2
11-18-2016, 06:27 PM
I love Edna so much, I want to say...she's confused a few details. Can we agree to give her the benefit of the doubt! LOLOL

Yes, this time, but Edna had better sharpen up her game for the next interview! LOL! Only kidding......

reese
11-18-2016, 07:34 PM
I've heard or read Edna mention being a stand-in for a Supremes session before. But I thought she meant a body had to be on the mike for union purposes, not that she actually sang. But I'm not sure.

That said, if it was around the time of the TAMI Show, and it was an LA session, it might have been the sessions for the A BIT OF LIVERPOOL album.

marv2
11-18-2016, 08:04 PM
I've heard or read Edna mention being a stand-in for a Supremes session before. But I thought she meant a body had to be on the mike for union purposes, not that she actually sang. But I'm not sure.

That said, if it was around the time of the TAMI Show, and it was an LA session, it might have been the sessions for the A BIT OF LIVERPOOL album.
But she said it was in Detroit after she had a meeting over at Lamont Dozier's house.

marv2
11-18-2016, 08:06 PM

Reese, none of what she said made sense in that one instance. She just may be remembering things wrong. That is not to say that she did not record a Supremes demo.

theboyfromxtown
11-19-2016, 03:02 AM
Reese, none of what she said made sense in that one instance. She just may be remembering things wrong. That is not to say that she did not record a Supremes demo.

I think I agree with you Marv2.

It's like...she's got the facts right...they just need to be matched up correctly and put in the right order. HA HA

I loved the interview though.

BigAl
11-19-2016, 04:05 PM
Like her sister Darlene, Edna has done so much studio work — hundreds if not thousands of sessions — that unless she had logged it all someplace she'd never be able to keep it all straight, so it's understandable if she gets things mixed up. Still, she ought to be sure she's being accurate before she speaks about specifics in interviews.

kenneth
11-19-2016, 06:50 PM
Aren't Edna and Scherrie Payne very good friends? I think when Midnight Johnny interviewed Scherrie and Susaye, that Scherrie said she met Edna for lunch every week at Norm's in Hollywood [[love that place!). I wonder if Scherrie would know, even though her time in the Supremes was later of course than "Reflections."

luke
11-19-2016, 07:17 PM
I think they go to same Church together.

nomis
11-19-2016, 07:27 PM
the HDH writing/production style of "Reflections" is too advanced from the material they were doing in 1964 to be from that period...shes got her facts/dates mixed up easy to happen when you are recalling four decades past..remember when Diana was on Idol and she wrongly stated "Im gonna make you love me" was recorded with Marvin Gaye ?..hell i can barely remember any details of my dj gigs from 20 yrs ago...

luke
11-19-2016, 07:28 PM
Great performances here. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iFNAIOu0PWo Edna and company. One Monkey... 2009

luke
11-19-2016, 07:42 PM
Shelley and Edna reunion 2014. Sitting on a Time Bomb...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ijfIT5wbWuk&itct=CA8QpDAYAiITCJep_4z_tdACFc27nAodlaEKPDIGcmVsb WZ1SI-fnr3U8LqwZg%3D%3D

BigAl
11-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Shelley and Edna reunion 2014. Sitting on a Time Bomb...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ijfIT5wbWuk&itct=CA8QpDAYAiITCJep_4z_tdACFc27nAodlaEKPDIGcmVsb WZ1SI-fnr3U8LqwZg%3D%3D
Wow...I'd never have recognized Shelly. So slim and so...so...blonde!
Too bad they can't get things straightened out with Carolyn for optimal authenticity, but Melodye is quite the able replacement. I remember meeting her with her aunt Darlene when she was about eighteen and you could tell even then that she was headed for showbiz.
For a very brief time a few years back, Scherrie filled Shelly's spot on a tour. I'll bet THAT was some lineup!