PDA

View Full Version : Music Review: Readings from Smokey's Songbook

test

woodward
11-18-2016, 12:44 PM
From today's Washington Post, a music review on Smokey receiving the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/a-celebration-of-an-iconic-songbook-at-smokey-robinsons-gershwin-prize-concert/2016/11/17/75537134-accf-11e6-8f19-21a1c65d2043_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-cards_hp-card-arts%3Ahomepage%2Fcard

marybrewster
11-18-2016, 01:49 PM
I've never even heard of half of these "stars". It's a shame that when events like this happen, many of the original players are not included. Why couldn't the Temptations have been included to sing "My Girl"? And, as a stretch, Martha Reeves or Mary Wilson to sing "My Guy"?

arr&bee
11-18-2016, 02:36 PM
Hey marybrewster,remember how[mary wells,jr,walker,martha reeves]were treated on[motown 25]? That should answer your question.

thommg
11-18-2016, 02:52 PM
I've never even heard of half of these "stars". It's a shame that when events like this happen, many of the original players are not included. Why couldn't the Temptations have been included to sing "My Girl"? And, as a stretch, Martha Reeves or Mary Wilson to sing "My Guy"?

When these tributes are done, many times they pick current and upcoming artists that were inspired by the artist being acknowledged. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I enjoy seeing how a current artist interprets the music. Still, it wouldn't kill them to bring in one or two of his colleagues to pay tribute as part of the group.