PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Pickett at Motown - What, How and Why!?

test

TomatoTom123
11-16-2016, 04:35 PM
I don't know why or how Wilson Pickett ended up recording for Motown, but he actually did! He only cut one album for the label, this was American Soul Man, released as 6244ML in 1987. Of course, this was very late in Motown's existence [[and Wilson's career) and there is very little written about it, so I was wondering how this actually came about, and if you have any thoughts on the album itself...? :)

marv2
11-16-2016, 04:45 PM
Wilson Pickett was a member of the Falcons years before he went to Motown. He worked with many of the future Motown artists including the Primettes/Supremes. He knew everyone. I have never listened to his Motown album.

motony
11-16-2016, 05:38 PM
news to me. I don't remember this. By 1987 Motown was just another record label, so may be they just bought the masters.

TomatoTom123
11-16-2016, 05:55 PM
Wilson Pickett was a member of the Falcons years before he went to Motown. He worked with many of the future Motown artists including the Primettes/Supremes. He knew everyone. I have never listened to his Motown album.

Thank you Marv. Oh yes - The Falcons - he replaced Joe Stubbs I believe

Just saw this, his 1959 song "Let Me Be Your Boy" actually features The Primettes as backing singers, Wow!

TomatoTom123
11-16-2016, 06:02 PM
news to me. I don't remember this. By 1987 Motown was just another record label, so may be they just bought the masters.

Yea, I don't think the album was very successful

Two singles were released: "Don't Walk Away" b/w "Can't Stop Now" [[US R&B #74) and "In The Midnight Hour" [[yes, a rerecording!!!) b/w "Just To Her Know"

TomatoTom123
11-16-2016, 06:05 PM
Wilson Pickett - American Soul Man

arr&bee
11-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Yes indeed wilson pickett knew the motown folks,mary mentions him in her book from their lupine days.

marv2
11-16-2016, 08:16 PM
Here Wilson remembers the Primettes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=215movPeknE

robb_k
11-16-2016, 09:24 PM
Thank you Marv. Oh yes - The Falcons - he replaced Joe Stubbs I believe

Just saw this, his 1959 song "Let Me Be Your Boy" actually features The Primettes as backing singers, Wow!
"Let Me Be Your Boy" was recorded in spring 1962, for Wilbur Golden's Correc-Tone Records. The Supremes sang backgrounds on it, moonlighting for Correc-Tone, late at night, while under contract to Motown. Ex-Motowners, Robert Bateman and Sonny Sanders produced and arranged that session. But, it is true that The Primettes recorded for Robert West's Lupine Records in 1960, while Wilson Pickett was a gospel singer for a Detroit group, and backup singers for other Lupine artists in late 1961 and early 1962, when Pickett was lead singer for Robert West's Falcons. But, almost every young Detroit Soul singer knew all the others, as
we heard from Louvain Demps, mentioning that she even knew Wade Jones.

TomatoTom123
11-17-2016, 04:10 AM
"Let Me Be Your Boy" was recorded in spring 1962, for Wilbur Golden's Correc-Tone Records. The Supremes sang backgrounds on it, moonlighting for Correc-Tone, late at night, while under contract to Motown. Ex-Motowners, Robert Bateman and Sonny Sanders produced and arranged that session. But, it is true that The Primettes recorded for Robert West's Lupine Records in 1960, while Wilson Pickett was a gospel singer for a Detroit group, and backup singers for other Lupine artists in late 1961 and early 1962, when Pickett was lead singer for Robert West's Falcons. But, almost every young Detroit Soul singer knew all the others, as we heard from Louvain Demps, mentioning that she even knew Wade Jones.

Fascinating, Thank you Robb!

Laserdk
11-17-2016, 07:22 AM

Wilson's album wasn't one of those cases where Motown bought the recorded masters and released them, he was a bona fide signing to the label. At the time of the album's release Wilson gave an interview to the UK's "Blues & Soul" magazine in which he stated he was signed to teh label by Berry Gordy himself who, by 1987/88, was taking an interest in the recording label side of things again, along with Al Bell on board. Just a shame of that some of their other signings' recordings didn't make it out prior to the sale of the label to MCA, i.e. the Friends Of Distinction, the Waters, Enchantment etc.

Ivor

TomatoTom123
11-17-2016, 07:32 AM
Wilson's album wasn't one of those cases where Motown bought the recorded masters and released them, he was a bona fide signing to the label. At the time of the album's release Wilson gave an interview to the UK's "Blues & Soul" magazine in which he stated he was signed to teh label by Berry Gordy himself who, by 1987/88, was taking an interest in the recording label side of things again, along with Al Bell on board. Just a shame of that some of their other signings' recordings didn't make it out prior to the sale of the label to MCA, i.e. the Friends Of Distinction, the Waters, Enchantment etc.

Ivor

Wow, thank you very much Ivor!

"Soul singer Wilson Pickett poses for a Motown Records publicity portrait in 1987"

StuBass1
11-17-2016, 10:56 AM
Pickett was also invited to participate in the 1985 Motown Returns To The Apollo television special...

reese
11-17-2016, 01:03 PM
Pickett was also invited to participate in the 1985 Motown Returns To The Apollo television special...

That same year, he also appeared on an episode of THE MOTOWN REVUE STARRING SMOKEY ROBINSON, but I don't remember it as one of his better performances.

soulwally
11-17-2016, 03:33 PM
Let me be your boy is a cracking record. Unlike the Pickett album on Motown which is very much of its time, with real instruments losing out to the synths

marv2
11-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Let me be your boy is a cracking record. Unlike the Pickett album on Motown which is very much of its time, with real instruments losing out to the synths

I agree Soulwally.

TomatoTom123
11-17-2016, 08:27 PM

I agree Soulwally.

Yea

Of all the tracks this one seems alright? Maybe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqBrFvT4Gxs&app=desktop

Originally recorded by The Del Royals in 1969 and then by Undisputed Truth singer Tyrone Barkley in 1979!

mysterysinger
11-17-2016, 09:24 PM
His Motown album also got a re-release in the EU later https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wilson+pickett+american+soul+man&client=tablet-android-hipstreet&prmd=mvin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjeyOWXkrHQAhWIOsAKHekGAi0Q_AUICigD&biw=1024&bih=600#imgrc=UXLbSwd5FVmZGM%3A

phil
11-18-2016, 05:49 AM
Unlike the Pickett album on Motown which is very much of its time, with real instruments losing out to the synths

You're right about the synthetized -and guitar intrusive- sounds Soulwally, but Wilson was still in voice.

robb_k
11-18-2016, 04:21 PM

The instrumentation is good because virtually all the production people were Motown people, including Joe Hunter's band, and Bob Bateman producing, and Sonny Sanders arranging.