PDA

View Full Version : Greatest HDH Productions

test

jobucats
11-10-2016, 12:27 PM
Back in the day, as many folk were, I was usually pretty good about discerning whether or not a Motown song was a HDH production. Being that they were my favorite, I often was amazed how they were somewhat progressive/ahead of their time in many of their productions which were beyond the "Baby Love" and "I Can't Help Myself" style [[which, I must say I absolutely love but don't feel those were musically unique when compared with their other work).

Do you have any favorite HDH songs that come to mind when you think of musically powerful and somewhat unique in style, structure, and delivery?

Some of mine would be:
Love is Here [[And Now You're Gone)
Bernadette
Seven Rooms of Gloom
Reflections
You Keep Me Hangin' On
Come 'Round Here [[I'm the One You Need)
I'm in a Different World
You Keep Running Away
borderline choices: Reach Out & Standing in the Shadows of Love

luke
11-10-2016, 12:46 PM
Heat Wave I feel started it all. You Keep Me Gangin On to another level

marv2
11-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Yeah, this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfN4ZglirjE

marv2
11-10-2016, 01:08 PM
One of their best!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr0fW_sEgms

TomatoTom123
11-10-2016, 01:14 PM
"Heaven Must Have Sent You" for me! One of their, and Motown's, best ever!!

Motown Eddie
11-10-2016, 02:11 PM
Back in the day, as many folk were, I was usually pretty good about discerning whether or not a Motown song was a HDH production. Being that they were my favorite, I often was amazed how they were somewhat progressive/ahead of their time in many of their productions which were beyond the "Baby Love" and "I Can't Help Myself" style [[which, I must say I absolutely love but don't feel those were musically unique when compared with their other work).

Do you have any favorite HDH songs that come to mind when you think of musically powerful and somewhat unique in style, structure, and delivery?

Some of mine would be:
Bernadette
Seven Rooms of Gloom
Reflections
You Keep Me Hangin' On
I'm in a Different World
You Keep Running Away

In addition to the songs you've listed, I'll add..
"Come And Get These Memories" - Martha & the Vandellas
"I'm A Road Runner" - Jr. Walker & the All-Stars
"Nowhere To Run" - Martha & the Vandellas
"Knock On My Door" - The Marvelettes
"Leaving Here" - Eddie Holland
"Give Me Just A Little More Time" - Chairmen Of The Board
"Just One Last Look" -The Temptations
"Love's Gone Bad" - Chris Clark

soulwally
11-10-2016, 02:15 PM

Some of mine would be:
Bernadette
Seven Rooms of Gloom
Reflections
You Keep Me Hangin' On
I'm in a Different World
You Keep Running Away
Helpless and, one of their slightly off-kilter productions, the garage band sound of Love's Gone Bad

tmd
11-10-2016, 10:38 PM
I agree with the person who named 7 Rooms of Gloom- great song, but by far the great song ever made by anyone was Reach out:

1- Great flute to start things off
2- Tremendous bass by Jamerson
3- Great back up vocals by the Andantes
4- Levi Stubbs is outstanding
5- Tremendously produced by HDH- who all have admitted that this was their masterpiece. does not get any better than this- perfection.

marv2
11-10-2016, 10:47 PM
I agree with the person who named 7 Rooms of Gloom- great song, but by far the great song ever made by anyone was Reach out:

1- Great flute to start things off
2- Tremendous bass by Jamerson
3- Great back up vocals by the Andantes
4- Levi Stubbs is outstanding
5- Tremendously produced by HDH- who all have admitted that this was their masterpiece. does not get any better than this- perfection.

"Reach Out, I'll Be There" was the obvious choice for top production and a long time favorite of mine. It was so good, that excluded it from my entries .

jobucats
11-11-2016, 07:03 PM

Some of mine would be:
Bernadette
Seven Rooms of Gloom
Reflections
You Keep Me Hangin' On
I'm in a Different World
You Keep Running Away

I'm with tmd and marv2 , and need to move Reach Out from my borderline choice to a powerful HDH production. I'll also move Standing in the Shadows of Love to that category. There are just so many ground breaking songs for which they are responsible!

marv2
11-11-2016, 08:31 PM
I'm with tmd and marv2 , and need to move Reach Out from my borderline choice to a powerful HDH production. I'll also move Standing in the Shadows of Love to that category. There are just so many ground breaking songs for which they are responsible!

Oh "Standing in the Shadows of Love" are the Four Tops at there absolute best. Levi's crying with his voice.....amazing! My favorite record by anyone has long been "Baby I Need Your Loving" by the Four Tops. The record is just perfect in my opinion in every way, but for HDH best productions I have to give it to "Reach Out........!".

luke
11-11-2016, 11:55 PM
Isn't it amazing how Baby I Need Your Lovin still sounds fresh and exciting today?!

marv2
11-12-2016, 12:15 AM
Isn't it amazing how Baby I Need Your Lovin still sounds fresh and exciting today?!

Luke it sounds so good it's scary! LOL! I mean I was a little kid when I first heard on the radio coming through the window while sitting on the porch......52 years ago! I wonder if they had any idea that they were producing what I call "Lifetime Music"? The vocals are real and sometimes raw, the musicians were real playing real instruments and they were all together in the studio at the same time. I think that is what kept the sound so fresh all of these years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U033W8wT4LM

mike_sku
11-13-2016, 02:57 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned This Old Heart of Mine by the Isley Brothers. In my opinion, that particular song, Reach Out I'll Be There, and Heaven Must Have Sent You, are quintessential Motown songs. I have so many H-D-H favorites, though. I'd have to put You Can't Hurry Love in there for sure, along with You're a Wonderful One by Marvin Gaye.

lockhartgary
11-14-2016, 02:19 PM
I've always loved "I Guess I'll Always Love You" by both the Isley Brothers and the Supremes.

144man
11-15-2016, 12:47 PM
Reach Out I'll Be There will always be my favourite HDH record ever.

However, for sheer power of production, try the stereo version of the Tops' "Lonely Lover".

rovereab
11-15-2016, 03:37 PM
I agree with the views above and in particular the comments about Reach Out, the first among many HDH equals.

However, I also love this song and marvel at what Levi would have done with it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twzent5e0_4

Ngroove
11-15-2016, 11:40 PM
"Can I Get A Witness"
"You're A Wonderful One"
"Baby Don't You Do It"
"Little Darling [[I Need You)"
"Your Unchanging Love"
- Marvin Gaye

And personally, some awesome Four Tops:
"I Got A Feeling"
"I'll Turn To Stone"
"You Keep Running Away"

144man
11-16-2016, 01:48 PM
And of course my favourite 4 Tops b-side: Where Did You Go

My favourite Supremes track: Ask Any Girl

And my favourite Martha & Vandellas album track: Leave It In the Hands of Love

motownlover1964
11-16-2016, 02:36 PM
In My Lonely Room... such a great song. I particularly enjoy hearing the backing vocalists no matter if it's the Vandellas or the Andantes. Was so disappointed when I heard The Supremes' album cut because Mary and Flo were mixed too far down in the background. That song needed them to be heard like the Vandellas/Andantes!

motony
11-16-2016, 05:43 PM
I think the 3 [[released in the same year) that I feel really set the pace for that Motown Sound were 1)Heat Wave Martha & the Vandellas 2)You Lost The Sweetest Boy Mary Wells & 3)Can I Get a Witness: Marvin Gaye... I thought those 3 records set the pace for what was to follow. A Mixture of Gospel, Pop & Soul.

tmd
11-18-2016, 09:12 PM
Most people who ae in the know- including me would agree with MARV, BINYL is considered the start of the classic Motown sound, great strings, great bass , wonderful backup vocals, production, and of course the smooth voice of Levi.

daviddh
11-20-2016, 11:01 AM
always thought, You Keep Me Hangin On and Reflections were good for the Supremes.
Reach Out Ill Be There for the 4 Tops and Standing At The Crossroads.

jobucats
11-20-2016, 06:35 PM
Most people who ae in the know- including me would agree with MARV, BINYL is considered the start of the classic Motown sound, great strings, great bass , wonderful backup vocals, production, and of course the smooth voice of Levi. Hey, respectfully, what is MARV and BINYL [[are these acronyms/first letters of a song titles). I can't figure them out. THANKS!

TomatoTom123
11-20-2016, 06:50 PM
Hey, respectfully, what is MARV and BINYL [[are these acronyms/first letters of a song titles). I can't figure them out. THANKS!

I think "MARV" is just marv2, hehe
"BINYL" is The Four Tops' song "Baby, I Need Your Loving" :)

jobucats
11-21-2016, 10:04 AM
I think "MARV" is just marv2, hehe
"BINYL" is The Four Tops' song "Baby, I Need Your Loving" :)

Whoops! I am pretty slow sometimes at figuring out these abbreviations of song titles. I don't know why I didn't immediately catch the MARV [[Marv2) one before questioning it. THANKS

waynesville
11-21-2016, 07:46 PM
Don't disagree with any of the posts above, but we shouldn't forget the great work HDH did post Motown. Like for Freda Payne, on their Invictus label. Here's the searing 'Bring The Boys Home' from the 1971 album Contact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x98dLVA2f1Q

marv2
11-21-2016, 09:28 PM
Don't disagree with any of the posts above, but we shouldn't forget the great work HDH did post Motown. Like for Freda Payne, on their Invictus label. Here's the searing 'Bring The Boys Home' from the 1971 album Contact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x98dLVA2f1Q

That too was an awesome track. Received a lot of airplay here.