PDA

View Full Version : MAJOR Motown announcement - 46 years ago - - - HINT: DR

test

woodward
11-06-2016, 10:02 AM
Latest Diana Ross Project posting 11/6/2016.

jobeterob
11-06-2016, 12:52 PM
This kind of headline drives the deplorables wild

ejluther
11-06-2016, 04:57 PM
https://dianarossproject.wordpress.com/2016/11/06/on-this-day-jet-announces-dianas-supreme-departure-11669/

marv2
11-06-2016, 05:15 PM
Well, I hate to say it,but this was old news for us in Detroit by the time Jet Magazine and other media outlets got it. We were informed before Motown made the official announcement. Check it out here from one of our local radio programs on CKLW from October of 1969 starting at the 17:40 min mark in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFl88w5x8Q

milven
11-07-2016, 01:21 AM
Well, I hate to say it,but this was old news for us in Detroit by the time Jet Magazine and other media outlets got it. We were informed before Motown made the official announcement. Check it out here from one of our local radio programs on CKLW from October of 1969 starting at the 17:40 min mark in this clip:

Usually, anything you read in a magazine is old news that we have already heard on radio or TV, or read in newspapers or on the internet.

In NYC, on Halloween, it was also announced by dee-jays that Diana was leaving the Supremes. And it was probably announced by dee-jays throughout the country. The announcement was not unique to Detroit.

Of course to many of us, it just made what we already suspected official.

marv2
11-07-2016, 10:26 AM
Usually, anything you read in a magazine is old news that we have already heard on radio or TV, or read in newspapers or on the internet.

In NYC, on Halloween, it was also announced by dee-jays that Diana was leaving the Supremes. And it was probably announced by dee-jays throughout the country. The announcement was not unique to Detroit.

It was unique to Detroit and with our Top stations in those days.

marv2
11-07-2016, 10:27 AM

Oh and the also got the latest releases first. Stations around the country would follow CKLW as to what was popular and what to play.

luke
11-07-2016, 01:05 PM
Thanks Woodward! I'm sure Diana stayed up late teaching Jean the moves! Lol

marv2
11-07-2016, 01:28 PM
Thanks Woodward! I'm sure Diana stayed up late teaching Jean the moves! Lol

I remember laughing when I first heard that too. LOL!!!

captainjames
11-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Thanks Woodward -
I remember that Jet announcement like it was yesterday -- A lot of folks were still in denial that it was going to happen until it was finally in print, although so many had heard it. All my thoughts went to Flo when I saw it.

jobeterob
11-07-2016, 02:26 PM
It was amusing because the truth was Diana was gone from the group by 1966 if you listen to the people at Universal. That's what was so hard on the rest of the group.

marv2
11-07-2016, 03:39 PM
It was amusing because the truth was Diana was gone from the group by 1966 if you listen to the people at Universal. That's what was so hard on the rest of the group.

No, that's was not what Diane said. On Oprah she made out like Mary and Cindy were being mean to her and that helped force her out of the group and into her solo career...............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx8vXzHVlSo

Roberta75
11-07-2016, 05:10 PM
No, that's was not what Diane said. On Oprah she made out like Mary and Cindy were being mean to her and that helped force her out of the group and into her solo career...............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx8vXzHVlSo

"Originally Posted by marv2 http://soulfuldetroit.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?p=353706#post353706) October 2016
I don't even go into most Diana Ross threads on here."

TomatoTom123
11-07-2016, 06:31 PM
originally posted by marv2 http://soulfuldetroit.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?p=353706#post353706) october 2016
"i don't even go into most diana ross threads on here."

lololol ;)

jobeterob
11-07-2016, 07:15 PM
If you talk to Universal people of today, they will tell you privately that the group was over as early as 1966. Diana did her own thing or did it with Berry. Other group members were simply "there" and might have been Marlene Barrow or Andantes or Marvelettes or whatever. Just like with Gladys Knight and Smokey Robinson, the background singers were part of Motown but interchangeable and expendable. At times they were fearful the lead singer would leave the group; at times they were jealous because the press ignored them and the producers ignored them and for many purposes, Berry ignored them.

It was much like that for the 70 Supremes; looking back on it, the hit making group essentially ended in 1972. There was another puff of smoke in 1976 and by the time of their demise in 1977, no one was paying attention anymore.

marv2
11-07-2016, 07:37 PM
If you talk to Universal people of today, they will tell you privately that the group was over as early as 1966. Diana did her own thing or did it with Berry. Other group members were simply "there" and might have been Marlene Barrow or Andantes or Marvelettes or whatever. Just like with Gladys Knight and Smokey Robinson, the background singers were part of Motown but interchangeable and expendable. At times they were fearful the lead singer would leave the group; at times they were jealous because the press ignored them and the producers ignored them and for many purposes, Berry ignored them.

It was much like that for the 70 Supremes; looking back on it, the hit making group essentially ended in 1972. There was another puff of smoke in 1976 and by the time of their demise in 1977, no one was paying attention anymore.

The problem with that is the Universal people of today were no where around Motown or the Supremes in those days! I am old school, I am about the truth so I prefer to listen to the people that were around and with Motown during the days that you are referring to. The people that created Motown out of Detroit and none would agree with anything you've said in your effort to promote Diane's importance. The Supremes did not end until Mary Wilson took her final bow with them on June 12, 1977. FACT! LOL!

captainjames
11-07-2016, 09:15 PM
The truth is the Supremes ended the day Flo left. Although, I loved Cindy it was over as a group when Flo left. There was no recover...... it was over. If Blondie came back in 1970 then perhaps maybe .......................NOPE

captainjames
11-07-2016, 09:22 PM
Also, Diana probably never rehearsed with Jean and she probably didn't rehearse with Cindy when she replaced Flo. This was Cholly and Mary.

marv2
11-07-2016, 10:16 PM
We were so happy that they were getting Diane out of the group even before we got to hear or see Jean Terrell. When that happened, prayers of thanks went up to the Heavens.......LOL! Jean was the bomb and they were group again.

luke
11-08-2016, 12:14 AM
And per Marlene Barrow, Mary also rehearsed her. Diana said nothing to her except if called for on stage!

marv2
11-08-2016, 12:31 AM
And per Marlene Barrow, Mary also rehearsed her. Diana said nothing to her except if called for on stage!

Mary trained all the Supremes including Diana Ross.

luke
11-08-2016, 12:35 AM
Love it!! Good point. What did Maxine Powell say? Something like grace and sophistication will open doors to kings and queens? Mary sure has that!

luke
11-08-2016, 12:36 AM
PS and don't let the buttocks protrude getting in the car!!

marv2
11-08-2016, 12:50 AM
PS and don't let the buttocks protrude getting in the car!!

We mustn't protrude the buttocks! LOL!!!!

jobeterob
11-08-2016, 01:44 AM
Also, Diana probably never rehearsed with Jean and she probably didn't rehearse with Cindy when she replaced Flo. This was Cholly and Mary.

That's exactly what they say. Flo left and Diana was on her own.

marv2
11-17-2016, 01:58 PM
This is like the 1st of 3 threads devoted to this subject. I know it was monumental news decades ago, but come on! LOL!

TomatoTom123
11-17-2016, 02:56 PM
This is like the 1st of 3 threads devoted to this subject. I know it was monumental news decades ago, but come on! LOL!

LOL, you know, it's not even a particularly special number - "46" - hehe ;)

marv2
11-17-2016, 08:09 PM
LOL, you know, it's not even a particularly special number - "46" - hehe ;)

Must be a slow news day...................