PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross and/or The Supremes Religious/Spiritual Songs

test

longtimefan
11-01-2016, 10:05 PM
I am making a personal playlist of tracks by Diana Ross and/or The Supremes that have a "religious" flavor. Not counting the Christmas albums, have I missed any? Thanks!

Ave Maria
Amazing Grace
His Eye is On the Sparrow
Go Tell It on the Mountain
Ninety-Nine and a Half
God Bless the Child
He Lives in You
We Shall Overcome
Amen [[With the Temptations)
Heavenly Father
What a Friend We Have in Jesus
Every Time I Feel the Spirit
He
May His Love Last Forever
Michael Row the Boat Ashore [[Tarzan)
The Lord Helps Those Who Help Themselves [[Tarzan)

Philles/Motown Gary
11-01-2016, 11:32 PM
How about "The Impossible Dream", longtimefan? It's not religious, per say, but it's inspirational. I've seen that song included on other artists' religious albums, and its theme fit in perfectly.

[[BTW, the song you listed above by the new Supremes should be "May His Love SHINE Forever".)

rod_rick
11-02-2016, 12:54 AM
Thank Him For Today, You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart and of course Up The Ladder To The Roof. Frank Wilson songs seem to have an uplifting inspirational feel [[ Stone Love come to mind)

mysterysinger
11-02-2016, 04:19 AM
"The Weight"?

marv2
11-02-2016, 06:13 AM
Didn't they record "Somewhere" from West Side Story? It could be included. It was sung in church back in the sixties.

marv2
11-02-2016, 06:18 AM
Mary Wilson - "You're the Light That Guides My Way"

Jaap
11-02-2016, 07:05 AM
I'll Keep My Light In My Window, by Diana and Marvin.

sansradio
11-02-2016, 09:26 AM
Fun fact: At the Central Park concert during the height of the storm, Diana can be heard softly vocalizing the first few lines of "The Lord's Prayer," mainly wordlessly.

reese
11-02-2016, 10:05 AM
Fun fact: At the Central Park concert during the height of the storm, Diana can be heard softly vocalizing the first few lines of "The Lord's Prayer," mainly wordlessly.

That was a nice moment.

sansradio
11-02-2016, 01:50 PM
Just thought of this: It's a bit of a stretch, but Diana did sing "Superstar" and "I Don't Know How to Love Him" from JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR in her nightclub act in the early 70s.

greg jones
11-02-2016, 02:57 PM
Thanx, longtimefan for starting this topic as I have a question that goes along with it. With all the specialty albums the Supremes recorded, was Mr. Gordy ever planning a Spiritual/Religious/Gospel type full album for the Supremes ????

JohnnyB
11-02-2016, 03:09 PM
Just thought of this: It's a bit of a stretch, but Diana did sing "Superstar" and "I Don't Know How to Love Him" from JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR in her nightclub act in the early 70s.

The songs that come to my mind are more inspirational than spiritual, but may add to your list...

Forever Young
The Force Behind The Power
Reach Out And Touch

Zantellor
11-02-2016, 05:14 PM
JMC
closed their Central Park concert with Oh Happy Day

mysterysinger
11-02-2016, 06:48 PM
The Supremes "Love Train / Oh Happy Day"

https://www.facebook.com/116876608331965/videos/319066381470696/

marv2
11-02-2016, 07:21 PM
The Supremes "Love Train / Oh Happy Day"

https://www.facebook.com/116876608331965/videos/319066381470696/

I've haven't heard that in years. Love it! Thank you Mysterysinger.

midnightman
11-02-2016, 11:02 PM
In her solo career, Diana later performed "99 1/2 Won't Do" on one of her TV specials in a church setting.

kenneth
11-03-2016, 01:45 AM
The songs that come to my mind are more inspirational than spiritual, but may add to your list...

Forever Young
The Force Behind The Power
Reach Out And Touch

"Reach Out and Touch" has really morphed into an inspirational song, almost a religious song, similarly to "The Impossible Dream" which someone else mentioned, and similarly to "Bridge Over Troubled Water" which the "New" Supremes recorded in a fabulous rendition.

midnightman
11-03-2016, 03:05 AM
I always ROAT was a gospel song anyways. If not, it's message music for real.

Bluebrock
11-03-2016, 02:32 PM
Mary Wilson - "You're the Light That Guides My Way"
That was by far my favourite song on her album.

marv2
11-03-2016, 03:07 PM
I always ROAT was a gospel song anyways. If not, it's message music for real.
I've heard it sung in a church I visited as part of the Benediction.

luke
11-03-2016, 11:44 PM
Cindy had planned to record some gospel songs she was writing. I wonder if she recorded any. She sang two spirituals on TV.

nomis
11-05-2016, 09:38 PM
Im glad "Force Behind The power " has been mentioned she asked for that song from Stevie for 30 yrs..I just played it this morning at my rehearsal for next weekends dj gigs...Diana always sings better with strong backing vocals to drive her..that competive streak she has is something an intutive producer has to seize on..thats why I didnt like pretty much all of the "I love you" album I felt there wasnt firm direction from the producers to make her sing at her very best..I can easily understand why producers would be intimidated in the studio with her but her whole schooling and apprentaship in the industry was Berry driving,manipulating making her strive for greater heights..yes she suffered personally from this method but most of her very best performances where from producers who were not scared to tell her to do another take - Masser,Richards,Miller and even Depasse giving her vodka to make her loosen up to the vibe of "Love Hangover"..as for Nick & Val well she trusted that beautiful couple she had no doubts about the material they gave her..its a great pity she only did one track with Mardin -she soars on "He Lives In you" backed with a strong choir Diana delivers