PDA

View Full Version : Difficult Divas---Have There Ever Been Any Opposites?

test

daviddesper
10-27-2016, 11:49 PM
Someone has commented in the Dusty thread about her being difficult due to her insecurity. At various other times, I have read also about Dionne, Shirley, Anita Baker, and maybe some others being likewise hard to handle. So that made me think of this question....Are there now or have there ever been any mega-stars who handled the pressures of their careers but yet managed to remain consistently nice, approachable, maybe even to the point that they were almost TOO sweet? In other words, has there ever been a singer that everybody loved and you simply never heard a bad word about her?

I have one in mind but instead of mentioning her first, I will wait to see if her name comes up from anyone else. I don't know one way or the other if she fits my question, but I always thought she had the sweetest smile, and it made me think she might be a wonderful person as well. If no one else mentions her, I will bring her up eventually for discussion before the thread dies.

jobeterob
10-28-2016, 12:43 AM
Lesley Gore?

marv2
10-28-2016, 03:54 AM
Someone has commented in the Dusty thread about her being difficult due to her insecurity. At various other times, I have read also about Dionne, Shirley, Anita Baker, and maybe some others being likewise hard to handle. So that made me think of this question....Are there now or have there ever been any mega-stars who handled the pressures of their careers but yet managed to remain consistently nice, approachable, maybe even to the point that they were almost TOO sweet? In other words, has there ever been a singer that everybody loved and you simply never heard a bad word about her?

I have one in mind but instead of mentioning her first, I will wait to see if her name comes up from anyone else. I don't know one way or the other if she fits my question, but I always thought she had the sweetest smile, and it made me think she might be a wonderful person as well. If no one else mentions her, I will bring her up eventually for discussion before the thread dies.

Yeah, Whitney Houston. You never heard of her mistreating anyone but herself.

Albator
10-28-2016, 05:48 AM
Not Whitney, we have heard she was unpleasant to the max, at least in UK.
Well ... Cher, Olivia Newton John, Donna Summer and Diana Ross ! LOL

Bokiluis
10-28-2016, 08:15 AM
If you have standards and demand respect, a woman is labeled difficult. Chump is the most disgusting, overweight, mendacious creature to grace the campaign trail......but all you hear about is Sec. Clinton's pantsuits and trustworthiness. There's a truly barbaric, unfair treatment given to women. James Brown was supposedly extremely difficult. Can't say I heard him refer to as a "bitch" or "bastard". And until you walk in their shoes, are you sure you would always be graceful under pressure?
And yes, we had to cancel all backstage greetings for Whitney on her second tour after she had sold 10 million albums. We thought that just this once you could thank radio, retail and press for your initial success. It just wasn't possible for her to handle. But most nights she wowed the audiences with dazzling performances. At the end of the day, isn't that what people pay to experience?

luke
10-28-2016, 10:00 AM
Adele seems humble and can laugh at herself and celebrity.

midnightman
10-28-2016, 11:04 AM
I have a feeling MOST celebrities are very complex. Not everyone is gonna be "pleasant" but I feel that a lot of them, especially the divas, are misunderstood for the most part.

arr&bee
10-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Minnie mouse?

marv2
10-28-2016, 12:03 PM

Here in America, we did not hear any stories of Whitney Houston being unpleasant to folks.

glencro
10-28-2016, 12:16 PM
Here in America, we did not hear any stories of Whitney Houston being unpleasant to folks.
Did you ever watch "Being Bobby Brown"? Whitney went ham on a few friends on a few occasions and it wasn't pretty

StuBass1
10-28-2016, 12:27 PM
Gladys Knight...by all accounts a warm and genuine person...despite several personal issues and setbacks...

StuBass1
10-28-2016, 12:30 PM
Whitney was reportedly very sweet and accommodating until the drugs kicked in and her public persona changed quite a bit...

marv2
10-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Never heard of Chaka Khan messing over people either.

marv2
10-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Did you ever watch "Being Bobby Brown"? Whitney went ham on a few friends on a few occasions and it wasn't pretty

I thought he meant with the general public and not what may have went on in their private lives.

Bluebrock
10-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Much as i loved Whitney she could be very difficult. I worked with her on two occasions First time was in 1985 when she was clean. Whilst she fell short of being downright rude she was rather awkward and unco=operative at times, yet she could be as sweet as honey if she was in a good mood. The second occasion was in the late 80;s during the MY LOVE IS YOUR LOVE era. I am not going into detail but to say she was difficult would be a gross understatement. Having said that she apologised to me for her behaviour and i gladly accepted that apology. I loved Whitney and could forgive her anything.

phil
10-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Minnie mouse?

Another Minnie : Minnie Riperton.

jobeterob
10-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Rick James said Diana Ross was one of the finest people he ever met.

Considering they were divergent people, that says something.

marv2
10-28-2016, 02:51 PM
Rick James said Diana Ross was one of the finest people he ever met.

Considering they were divergent people, that says something.

Rick James also had a severe drug addiction problem. He would not have been a good judge of anything. Interestingly, Diane was good friends briefly with Rick's protege, Val Young who was also from the Brewster Projects...........

marv2
10-28-2016, 02:52 PM
Another Minnie : Minnie Riperton.

Good choice. Great singer, beautiful woman, no bad attitude. The same can be said of Marilyn McCoo.

marv2
10-28-2016, 02:54 PM
Much as i loved Whitney she could be very difficult. I worked with her on two occasions First time was in 1985 when she was clean. Whilst she fell short of being downright rude she was rather awkward and unco=operative at times, yet she could be as sweet as honey if she was in a good mood. The second occasion was in the late 80;s during the MY LOVE IS YOUR LOVE era. I am not going into detail but to say she was difficult would be a gross understatement. Having said that she apologised to me for her behaviour and i gladly accepted that apology. I loved Whitney and could forgive her anything.

You're not in America, are you? Whitney Houston did not have that reputation here. When she passed, it was like a national day of mourning. Her funeral was given more than 4 hours of coverage.

Roberta75
10-28-2016, 03:41 PM
You're not in America, are you? Whitney Houston did not have that reputation here. When passed, it was like a national day of mourning. Her funeral was given more than 4 hours of coverage.

And Whitney wasnt even cold before Mark Bego trashed her reputation in his horrible book and Bego and mary Wilson promoted that trashy book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4dfG5Sj7Y

theboyfromxtown
10-28-2016, 04:52 PM
Kylie Minogue is apparently a real nice lady. Here in the UK, she is MEGA.

Bluebrock
10-28-2016, 05:20 PM
You're not in America, are you? Whitney Houston did not have that reputation here. When she passed, it was like a national day of mourning. Her funeral was given more than 4 hours of coverage.
I can only speak as i find. I was a huge Whitney fan but sometimes it is best not to meet your idols. I was only answering a question in an honest way.

satipe
10-28-2016, 05:32 PM
I don't know if she could be considered a mega star but I have always found Mavis Staples to be ever so nice to everyone. Sometimes, her sister used to have to tell her, "I mean it, we have to go."

midnightman
10-28-2016, 09:31 PM

Whitney was stressed out in ways many can't imagine. Least she apologized to you though.

daviddesper
10-29-2016, 12:15 AM
So far no one has touched on the one I had in mind, but you have come up with some interesting "nice" people. The ones mentioned so far that I might personally agree with the most would be Gladys Knight, Olivia Newton-John, and Marilyn McCoo. Keep the feedback coming!

marv2
10-29-2016, 12:41 AM
So far no one has touched on the one I had in mind, but you have come up with some interesting "nice" people. The ones mentioned so far that I might personally agree with the most would be Gladys Knight, Olivia Newton-John, and Marilyn McCoo. Keep the feedback coming!

Mary Wilson is a bona-fide sweetheart!

detmotownguy
10-29-2016, 01:05 AM

My sisters boyfriend was Whitney's limo driver; she was very nice and did not act out the "I am a star" act.

Bluebrock
10-29-2016, 02:39 AM
Mary Wilson is a bona-fide sweetheart!
Ian Levine might not agree with you on that one!

Bluebrock
10-29-2016, 02:43 AM
Adele seems humble and can laugh at herself and celebrity.
Adele is wonderful company. Witty, warm and very potty mouthed!! I am proud to have been her friend for several years before she became famous. She is fully deserving of her vast success.

marv2
10-29-2016, 02:49 AM
Ian Levine might not agree with you on that one!

I've met and spent time around Ian Levine. He is strange. Many of the artists he recorded in Detroit want his head.

Bluebrock
10-29-2016, 07:27 AM
I've met and spent time around Ian Levine. He is strange. Many of the artists he recorded in Detroit want his head.
So his opinion doesn't count then? Strange or not he is a very astute guy.

marv2
10-29-2016, 11:17 AM
So his opinion doesn't count then? Strange or not he is a very astute guy.

I'll just say this. Donald Trump is not the only one that did not pay people for services rendered.....

Bluebrock
10-29-2016, 01:22 PM
I'll just say this. Donald Trump is not the only one that did not pay people for services rendered.....
I think you will find thatyou have got that one somewhat wrong.

jobeterob
10-29-2016, 01:30 PM
Aretha Franklin apparently pays when the feeling hits her

StuBass1
10-29-2016, 03:15 PM
Aretha Franklin apparently pays when the feeling hits her
I can tell you that's a fact...and the feeling often doesn't hit her...

marv2
10-29-2016, 03:39 PM
I think you will find thatyou have got that one somewhat wrong.

No I don't. That's all I am able to say here and now.

jobeterob
10-29-2016, 04:08 PM
She believes the Queen of Soul is exempt from any rules but hers

marv2
10-29-2016, 04:24 PM

She may be. Any time an important national celebration in America is scheduled, she is the one that they ALWAYS invites! She is the Queen!

luke
10-29-2016, 05:02 PM
Mary Wilson has always been so gracious and down to earth.

Roberta75
10-29-2016, 05:21 PM
Mary Wilson has always been so gracious and down to earth.

Ive been told a Mary Wilson can actuallywalk on water.

thomas96
10-29-2016, 05:23 PM
Ella Fitzgerald.

The beautiful Nancy Wilson.

thomas96
10-29-2016, 05:26 PM
And Ian Levine is a dirtbag.

jobeterob
10-29-2016, 05:53 PM
Ian didn't have money to pay many who had never got much for what they did but ranks higher than the Queen of Soul for ethics

If Mary walks on water Diana can fly

Bluebrock
10-29-2016, 06:16 PM
No I don't. That's all I am able to say here and now.
Is that so.

Bluebrock
10-29-2016, 06:18 PM
I have never met Aretha and don't wish to. I love her talent but the horror stories my friends have told me make me want to just love the music and not get involved on a personal level.

marv2
10-29-2016, 06:30 PM
Ian didn't have money to pay many who had never got much for what they did but ranks higher than the Queen of Soul for ethics

If Mary walks on water Diana can fly

You really don't know what you are talking about now.

midnightman
10-29-2016, 07:34 PM
Aretha, I've heard both good and horrible stories about her. I often feel she suffers from bipolar disorder, the death of her mother and the struggles of living under the watchful eye of a minister father who himself was running amok sleeping with women - and occasionally molesting teenage girls [[one of which gave birth to one of his "illegitimate" children) and then getting turned out at 13 by the guy who ended up fathering her first child. Aretha never got a chance to be a kid and was forced to grow up rather early. Bettye LaVette recalls smoking weed and drinking with Aretha when they were young. The stories of her telling Mahalia Jackson that "b*tch you ain't so grand" after Mahalia refused to help her father [[for the 1,567th time) after he got busted for weed possession in Miami, or when she refused to talk to Mavis Staples for a time because Mavis brought up how Aretha's mother abandoned her [[which technically wasn't true; it's just that her father refused to let his children live with her in Buffalo so instead of living in Buffalo, the Franklin children had to make conjugal visits during the summer prior to Barbara Franklin's death when Aretha was 10).

Sometimes hardships can harden someone. Doesn't make one evil but they're sure difficult to deal with at times. Aretha also developed a stubbornness that co-aligns with her Aries side [[much like Marvin) that continues to this day.

Anyway, this is not about Mary Wilson. Stop it.

blackguy69
10-29-2016, 07:34 PM
Kids settle down. It's not that serious

midnightman
10-29-2016, 07:49 PM
ANYWAYS, like I said, most celebrities, especially the really talented ones like Diana, Aretha, Patti, etc., are complex individuals. We shouldn't look at one side of their personalities and disregard their legacies. Unfortunately being difficult comes with the territory. Even the seemingly nice ones can be difficult to someone in their lives. It just happens.

marv2
10-29-2016, 08:16 PM
And Ian Levine is a dirtbag.

Uh hmmmmmm........LOL!

marv2
10-29-2016, 08:17 PM
Ella Fitzgerald.

The beautiful Nancy Wilson.

Totally agree and add Maxine Brown.

nomis
10-29-2016, 08:57 PM
the first ever artist i worked for was Blondie - Deborah Harry..she was the sweetest kindest lovely lady..I had to look after KD Lang for a day once and she was the same just a nice normal lady..Rupaul was great to work for he has a big heart...the worst I had to deal with ? Spice girls Mariah carey and yoko ono..a truly awful vile woman

luke
10-29-2016, 09:52 PM
Divas are complex people. Artists are complex people. Writers are complex people. Doctors are complex people. Athletes and politicians and scientists and all of us. IMO we are all called to live by the golden rule.

midnightman
10-29-2016, 10:48 PM
Divas are complex people. Artists are complex people. Writers are complex people. Doctors are complex people. Athletes and politicians and scientists and all of us. IMO we are all called to live by the golden rule.

Right on. Exactly what I was trying to say lol

daviddesper
10-30-2016, 12:29 AM
I had not thought of Nancy Wilson in reference to my question, but what a nice addition to the discussion. I would hope she is as sweet as she is talented.

You guys are getting frisky with your discussions of the not-so-nice ones, but I can see your points in most cases. Still no one has guessed the lady I was thinking of but maybe that is my fault. Perhaps I misled you by using the term "mega star" in my original post, because the lady I have in mind might not really meet that criteria, although she certainly is a known recording artist.

I will give you a hint...........remember the sweet smile that I mentioned and also she was a guest on Dionne's TV show once. Not Solid Gold, but the later one that I think was entitled Dionne and Friends. I think it only lasted part of one season. Does that help?

midnightman
10-30-2016, 02:32 AM
Hmm... I might need more clues than that? I got blanks lol

marv2
10-30-2016, 02:37 AM
I had not thought of Nancy Wilson in reference to my question, but what a nice addition to the discussion. I would hope she is as sweet as she is talented.

You guys are getting frisky with your discussions of the not-so-nice ones, but I can see your points in most cases. Still no one has guessed the lady I was thinking of but maybe that is my fault. Perhaps I misled you by using the term "mega star" in my original post, because the lady I have in mind might not really meet that criteria, although she certainly is a known recording artist.

I will give you a hint...........remember the sweet smile that I mentioned and also she was a guest on Dionne's TV show once. Not Solid Gold, but the later one that I think was entitled Dionne and Friends. I think it only lasted part of one season. Does that help?

Mica Paris?

midnightman
10-30-2016, 03:24 AM
the first ever artist i worked for was Blondie - Deborah Harry..she was the sweetest kindest lovely lady..I had to look after KD Lang for a day once and she was the same just a nice normal lady..Rupaul was great to work for he has a big heart...the worst I had to deal with ? Spice girls Mariah carey and yoko ono..a truly awful vile woman

I've gotten mixed responses about Mariah. Spice Girls ain't got that many hits to be catty. No comment on Yoko.

Bluebrock
10-30-2016, 04:13 AM
Mica Paris?
I know Mica Paris, and she is as lovely as she is talented but i somehow don't think it is Mica who daviddsepar was refering to. I didn't see the Dionne tv show as it was not shown in the UK so that doesn't give me any clues. We could go on guessing all day. I met Thelma Houston earlier this year and she was delightful. Could it be her?

Ollie9
10-30-2016, 05:30 AM
I know Mica Paris, and she is as lovely as she is talented but i somehow don't think it is Mica who daviddsepar was refering to. I didn't see the Dionne tv show as it was not shown in the UK so that doesn't give me any clues. We could go on guessing all day. I met Thelma Houston earlier this year and she was delightful. Could it be her?

So glad you mention Mica Paris Bluebrock. I have not met her in person myself, but have heard from others that she is a lovely lady to work with. Such a huge and underrated talent. Should be a superstar with a voice like that.....No justice.

theboyfromxtown
10-30-2016, 05:32 AM
Stephanie Mills?

Bokiluis
10-30-2016, 07:13 AM

You're right about the "My Love is Your Love Tour". At the Universal Ampitheater date, the first 5 songs went well....but, she became increasingly distracted. A fan had given her a big beautiful bouquet of flowers, as she ascended the stairs she tossed that bouquet down with a vengeance. It was horrifying to experience. You may remember she canceled the San Francisco date the next day though there was no sign of illness at the Universal Ampitheater date. Of course, anything could have happened later that evening. However, though I was in a bit of denial....it was at the beginning stages of her illness [[addictions).

TomatoTom123
10-30-2016, 07:18 AM
Woahh, I've been away for 3 days and this 2-page thread has appeared out of nowhere, LOL!!

I have never met or talked to any of these artists, and I have no idea what they are/were like in person, so I can probably contribute very little to this thread, hehe!

On the matter of Ian Levine, well, I have never met him either. I have great respect for him recording all the former Motown artists, and I don't think he could have paid them because Motorcity didn't make much money from its releases...? Edwin Starr and Frank Wilson seemingly became good friends with him, although Mary Wilson not so much...

splanky
10-30-2016, 07:47 AM

Does that help?

That not being a mega star thing changes everything to me. I have never seen Dionne's tv
show but I can think of a few artists who were very nice to meet including our own Susaye
Greene. Bobbi Humphrey who I met way back in 2003 or 04 was a doll, too...

sansradio
10-30-2016, 08:21 AM

Leslie Uggams? She was wonderful to me when I met her.

Bluebrock
10-30-2016, 09:18 AM
So glad you mention Mica Paris Bluebrock. I have not met her in person myself, but have heard from others that she is a lovely lady to work with. Such a huge and underrated talent. Should be a superstar with a voice like that.....No justice.
She is lovely Ollie. I had already told Diana about how talented Mica was, and in 1990 i took Mica to meet Diana. I had given Diana a copy of Mica's debut cd which she loved and the look upon Mica's face when Diana told her which were her favourite songs was priceless. As you rightly say Mica should have become a superstar but she was very unhappy with her 3rd album "whisper a prayer" which i thought was a fine album, but it was too slick and polished for Mica's liking and sheparted company with her label when they wanted her to record a similar themed follow up album. Her "black angel" album is well worth checking out. Love my girl Mica!

Bluebrock
10-30-2016, 09:19 AM
You're right about the "My Love is Your Love Tour". At the Universal Ampitheater date, the first 5 songs went well....but, she became increasingly distracted. A fan had given her a big beautiful bouquet of flowers, as she ascended the stairs she tossed that bouquet down with a vengeance. It was horrifying to experience. You may remember she canceled the San Francisco date the next day though there was no sign of illness at the Universal Ampitheater date. Of course, anything could have happened later that evening. However, though I was in a bit of denial....it was at the beginning stages of her illness [[addictions).
Sadly you are right. No denying that talent but it came with such a heavy price to pay. God Bless her.

marv2
10-30-2016, 09:44 AM
Leslie Uggams? She was wonderful to me when I met her.

I love Leslie Uggams. She is a true star and a great lady.

marv2
10-30-2016, 09:51 AM
Miki Howard talks about Whitney Houston:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AQLp7g-Ta4

johnny_raven
10-30-2016, 11:12 AM
Brenda Holloway is a very nice lady, as is Kim Weston [[I hope she's doing well). Kim is absolutely hilarious, btw!

marv2
10-30-2016, 11:24 AM
Brenda Holloway is a very nice lady, as is Kim Weston [[I hope she's doing well). Kim is absolutely hilarious, btw!

Most of the Motown women are very nice and gracious. Most!

midnightman
10-30-2016, 03:23 PM

Yeah that was the start of her drug addicted decline. :[[

Ollie9
10-30-2016, 06:55 PM
She is lovely Ollie. I had already told Diana about how talented Mica was, and in 1990 i took Mica to meet Diana. I had given Diana a copy of Mica's debut cd which she loved and the look upon Mica's face when Diana told her which were her favourite songs was priceless. As you rightly say Mica should have become a superstar but she was very unhappy with her 3rd album "whisper a prayer" which i thought was a fine album, but it was too slick and polished for Mica's liking and sheparted company with her label when they wanted her to record a similar themed follow up album. Her "black angel" album is well worth checking out. Love my girl Mica!

Thank you so much more sharing that Bluebrock. Do you recall which songs Diana happened to like best from mica's debut album and did they get on?.
I am in agreement with Mica. That 3rd album for me was indeed a little to slick and rounded, although i love the song Whisper A Prayer. I have been playing "Black Angel" for years and also love her second album and "Born Again".
Sorry folks, i know this is a Motown Forum but Mica did duet with Mr Will Downing who was once signed to motown on a one album deal so there is a tentative connection....Kind of.

sansradio
10-30-2016, 07:47 PM
Thank you so much more sharing that Bluebrock. Do you recall which songs Diana happened to like best from mica's debut album and did they get on?.
I am in agreement with Mica. That 3rd album for me was indeed a little to slick and rounded, although i love the song Whisper A Prayer. I have been playing "Black Angel" for years and also love her second album and "Born Again".
Sorry folks, i know this is a Motown Forum but Mica did duet with Mr Will Downing who was once signed to motown on a one album deal so there is a tentative connection....Kind of.

No arguments from me, Ollie9! I've always loved Mica's work. I agree with you, Mica, and Bluebrock about WHISPER A PRAYER; CONTRIBUTION remains my favorite, which I recently repurchased from my favorite local used CD outlet. I dug BLACK ANGEL as well. I just learned about her covers album yesterday! And don't forget "Young Soul Rebels"!

marv2
10-30-2016, 07:49 PM
No arguments from me, Ollie9! I've always loved Mica's work. I agree with you, Mica, and Bluebrock about WHISPER A PRAYER; CONTRIBUTION remains my favorite, which I recently repurchased from my favorite local used CD outlet.
"My One Temptation" is what made me think of and mention Mica in the first place. She sang it on Dionne & Friends.

sansradio
10-30-2016, 07:55 PM
"My One Temptation" is what made me think of and mention Mica in the first place. She sang it on Dionne & Friends.

Yeah, Marv, that first album was a great debut. My college years.

captainjames
10-30-2016, 08:38 PM
I will give it up for Vesta Williams. She was truly a sweet heart and would keep you laughing all the time. I can remember driving her around to gigs and she could just say some of the craziest stuff that would make you go......................HUH ??? Gone too soon but, definitely a star of high caliber. Rest in Heaven Vesta !!!!!
I had to think about this because all have driven me to think WTF but Vesta was unique.

detmotownguy
10-30-2016, 10:50 PM
I will give it up for Vesta Williams. She was truly a sweet heart and would keep you laughing all the time. I can remember driving her around to gigs and she could just say some of the craziest stuff that would make you go......................HUH ??? Gone too soon but, definitely a star of high caliber. Rest in Heaven Vesta !!!!!
I had to think about this because all have driven me to think WTF but Vesta was unique.

Hi. Damn she seems familiar. Did we ever discuss her on this forum? Nice you had good experiences with her?

midnightman
10-30-2016, 10:58 PM
IDK, but she was truly underrated as a musician. She reminded me of Phyllis Hyman because vocally she could handle any song she was given.

luke
10-30-2016, 11:22 PM
Unsung did a whole episode on her.

daviddesper
10-30-2016, 11:56 PM
More great names brought up today, such as Leslie Uggams. Will we ever see her Motown album issued on CD by the way?

I won't keep you guys in suspense much longer about who I was originally referring to. It would be Real Cruel of me to do that....yep that would be RC of me, alright.....

detmotownguy
10-31-2016, 12:09 AM

Maybe that is what I am thinking! Thanks Luke

sansradio
10-31-2016, 06:47 AM
More great names brought up today, such as Leslie Uggams. Will we ever see her Motown album issued on CD by the way?

I won't keep you guys in suspense much longer about who I was originally referring to. It would be Real Cruel of me to do that....yep that would be RC of me, alright.....

Wait...Randy Crawford, right? Or Rita Coolidge???

midnightman
10-31-2016, 09:36 AM

One of the most tragic considering that her interview, she was all full of hope and promise and then died a few days later. :[[

marv2
10-31-2016, 12:11 PM
He should just give the answer now and be done with it.

luke
10-31-2016, 12:47 PM
Yes it's time!! Your welcome demot

StuBass1
10-31-2016, 01:01 PM
Wait...Randy Crawford, right? Or Rita Coolidge???
Randy Crawford is one of the nicest and sweetest people I ever met. She promised me an autographed CD...and a day later, drove 30 miles to deliver it to me...

luke
10-31-2016, 01:27 PM
That's impressive StuBass. What a lady!!

StuBass1
10-31-2016, 02:10 PM
That's impressive StuBass. What a lady!!
Very sweet 11950

Bluebrock
10-31-2016, 02:20 PM
Randy Crawford is one of the nicest and sweetest people I ever met. She promised me an autographed CD...and a day later, drove 30 miles to deliver it to me...
Yes she is. i never understood why didn't become a big star in the States. she was huge in the UK and parts of Europe. A superb singer and a lovely, kind sweet person

luke
10-31-2016, 04:25 PM
Is she still performing?

StuBass1
10-31-2016, 05:20 PM
Is she still performing?
Her sites show she was touring through part of 2015, touring Europe, and had previously toured with the late Crusaders keyboardist Joe Sample [[RIP)...No events or performances showing on any tour sites...

Bluebrock
10-31-2016, 06:31 PM
Is she still performing?
Yes she is. I saw her a couple of years ago and she was as good as the previous half a dozen times.

Bluebrock
10-31-2016, 06:39 PM
As a matter of fact i do. She loved BREATHE LIFE INTO ME and MY ONE TEMPTATION but she was impressed with the whole album.
It looks like i am in the minority with WHISPER A PRAYER. I adore the title track and YOU PUT A MOVE ON MY HEART which is superior to the Quincy Jones version. Is .. Is anyone familar with WHERE ARE THE CHILDREN an outake from the Contribution album, and also a Bobby Womack duet from the same sessions the title of which currently eludes me. Two stunning tracks.

Ollie9
10-31-2016, 06:48 PM
Love me some Randy. I have seen her in concert many times over the years, the last being when she toured with Joe Sample. Her voice just gets bettter and better. She has always come across as a very sweet and genuine lady.
Vesta was indeed an underated singer. My favourite album being "Relationships"..... R & B for grown ups.

Ollie9
10-31-2016, 06:58 PM
No arguments from me, Ollie9! I've always loved Mica's work. I agree with you, Mica, and Bluebrock about WHISPER A PRAYER; CONTRIBUTION remains my favorite, which I recently repurchased from my favorite local used CD outlet. I dug BLACK ANGEL as well. I just learned about her covers album yesterday! And don't forget "Young Soul Rebels"!

I really like "Contribution" as well sansradio. I have never heard her "Soul Classics" album, but reviews of it seem very mixed. It's a shame Mica never recorded an album for motown, though many of her songs sound motown influenced.

sansradio
10-31-2016, 10:15 PM
I really like "Contribution" as well sansradio. I have never heard her "Soul Classics" album, but reviews of it seem very mixed. It's a shame Mica never recorded an album for motown, though many of her songs sound motown influenced.

And Soul Classics has no less than five Motown covers, it seems. The song selection does appear to be a little more-of-the-same. I'll reserve judgment until I get to hear it.

Noticed that US iTunes doesn't have her first two albums, but every other album thereafter is represented. Someone snapped up the copy of So Good at my favorite shop before I could get it. :mad:

greg jones
10-31-2016, 10:39 PM
i know one that is entirely the opposite and very easy to work with... Petula Clark. Petula has now been famous for 75+ plus years and will turn 84 this November and is still going strong. For those of my fellow Americans doing the math. Yes, she started out at the age of 6 singing professionally and by the age of 8 was was singing nationally in the UK on the BBC. That was almost 25 years before Downtown ever happened. Not to mention her parallel careers singing in French, Italian and German that most Americans are not aware with many hits that were Not specifically translations of the English hits. Many of which were specifically written for her.

Petula released her latest album on 16 Sep which is getting extremely good reviews and some of her best work of the last 20 years. Petula has been recording for over 67 + years, which is quite a record. She has recorded in excess of 125 + albums, well over 2,000 songs in those 67 + years.

Petula is one of the most approachable artists that i know of, always spending an hour and sometimes more conversing with her fans after a show or concert.

daviddesper
10-31-2016, 11:45 PM
Yes it was Miss Randy and I am happy to hear that my thoughts about her were validated. All I really had to go on was the appearance on that Dionne show that I mentioned. She just came across as so sweet and genuine. But fortunately this thread has been an education in terms of who else fits that mold and sadly the ones who don't as well. Thanks for all your contributions to the discussion, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean you have to stop!

heikki
11-01-2016, 06:49 AM
Hi!

Based on face-to-face meetings, I'd like to add:

Candi Staton, Toni Green and Ruby Turner.

Best regards
Heikki

marv2
11-01-2016, 12:22 PM
The singer Cherelle is a very nice lady.

Ollie9
11-01-2016, 12:37 PM
As a matter of fact i do. She loved BREATHE LIFE INTO ME and MY ONE TEMPTATION but she was impressed with the whole album.
It looks like i am in the minority with WHISPER A PRAYER. I adore the title track and YOU PUT A MOVE ON MY HEART which is superior to the Quincy Jones version. Is .. Is anyone familar with WHERE ARE THE CHILDREN an outake from the Contribution album, and also a Bobby Womack duet from the same sessions the title of which currently eludes me. Two stunning tracks.

Thats funny, "Whisper A Prayer" and "You Put A Move On My Heart" are the only two songs i really like from the album. I thought "Whisper" sounded really commercial so was shocked when it flopped as a single, though the promo video was none to clever.
I am a real sucker for laid back r & b/soul. I guess thats why i adore "This House" and "We Stand Together from Lady Di.

Guy
11-01-2016, 06:57 PM

Oh my...fellow MICA PARIS fans???!!! She is nearly unknown in the U.S. I've loved her since picking up the "My One Temptation" 45 single in Summer of '89 I believe. Loved "Contribution." I used to buy all of her import singles at Tower Records. The Bobby Womack duet is "I Wish I'd Never Met You." I do like "Where Are The Children." My favorite track is probably "I Should've Known Better" which was an outtake from the "Contributions" sessions and was first released as a b-side of "South of The River." Then again as b-side to "I Never Felt Like This Before" and finally ending up on the "Black Angel" CD.

I love to hear that Diana Ross was a fan. Over the years, I heard Chaka Khan, Luther Vandross, and Anita Baker speak favorably of her talent. Prince was also a fan. She is a marvelous singer and she still performs in the U.K.

nomis
11-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Miss Randy sent me a beautiful black & white signed photo..she has a huge following here in New Zealand and tours here every few years ..a class act.

daviddesper
11-01-2016, 11:29 PM
Heikki;

How could you and I have left our Miss Denise LaSalle out of this discussion? Shame on both of us! She was certainly nice to me and other fans the one and only time I saw her live. Hope she is still recovering by the way from her recent surgery.

heikki
11-02-2016, 06:37 AM
David!

You're right. I did my first and most thorough interview with her already in the 90s, and I had forgotten about it.
As far as I know, she'll start performing again in December.

Best regards
Heikki

Bluebrock
11-02-2016, 02:32 PM
Oh my...fellow MICA PARIS fans???!!! She is nearly unknown in the U.S. I've loved her since picking up the "My One Temptation" 45 single in Summer of '89 I believe. Loved "Contribution." I used to buy all of her import singles at Tower Records. The Bobby Womack duet is "I Wish I'd Never Met You." I do like "Where Are The Children." My favorite track is probably "I Should've Known Better" which was an outtake from the "Contributions" sessions and was first released as a b-side of "South of The River." Then again as b-side to "I Never Felt Like This Before" and finally ending up on the "Black Angel" CD.

I love to hear that Diana Ross was a fan. Over the years, I heard Chaka Khan, Luther Vandross, and Anita Baker speak favorably of her talent. Prince was also a fan. She is a marvelous singer and she still performs in the U.K.
Prince was indeed a fan of our lovely girl as was Anita Baker. I also believe you are correct in what you say about Chaka, It is news to me about Luther being a fan but i am glad to hear he was. I knew him a little and we did discuss his heroines who were Diana, Dionne and Aretha closely followed by Patti, but he never mentioned Mica,

sansradio
11-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Janet was incredibly sweet to me as well.

Guy
11-02-2016, 11:31 PM
Bluebrock, I recall reading an interview with Luther in a free lifestyle magazine years ago. He was asked if there were any new divas with the talent to stand the test of time. He responded Whitney Houston and Mica Paris. I believe it was around the time of the "Whisper A Prayer" CD.

I hope memory serves me. I've always considered Luther's acknowledgment a high honor for Mica, particularly as she is lesser known in the U.S.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-03-2016, 01:57 PM
Producer David Foster once commented that one of my all-time favorite singers, Anne Murray, was an absolute joy to work with. Professional yet down to earth, she consistently showed up for recording sessions on time, she was fully-prepared with the material, and she was totally-cooperative and flexible -- willing to try any ideas that he suggested. It gives me a warm glow inside to learn that my favorite musical heroes and heroines were just as nice behind the scenes as their voices were on record.

Bluebrock
11-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Bluebrock, I recall reading an interview with Luther in a free lifestyle magazine years ago. He was asked if there were any new divas with the talent to stand the test of time. He responded Whitney Houston and Mica Paris. I believe it was around the time of the "Whisper A Prayer" CD.
I hope memory serves me. I've always considered Luther's acknowledgment a high honor for Mica, particularly as she is lesser known in the U.S.
Thank you for that Guy. I really did not know that but i am very pleased to hear it. I am still in touch with Mica so i shall ask her for her recollection of Luther's admiration. Thank you so much for posting your message,

Bluebrock
11-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Producer David Foster once commented that one of my all-time favorite singers, Anne Murray, was an absolute joy to work with. Professional yet down to earth, she consistently showed up for recording sessions on time, she was fully-prepared with the material, and she was totally-cooperative and flexible -- willing to try any ideas that he suggested. It gives me a warm glow inside to learn that my favorite musical heroes and heroines were just as nice behind the scenes as their voices were on record.
I can vouch for Anne Murray. A lovely sweet lady who was polite and respectful to everyone. A fine singer too. A pity she went into retirement.

marv2
11-03-2016, 03:09 PM

I was going to mention Anne Murray. She is a beautiful person.

StuBass1
11-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Coming from an R&B/Jazz type background as a musician and ending up working as a newscaster, ultimately in Country radio in the early 80's...I must say that having met and known many artists and musicians...most nice and some not so in my previous life and since then...that the overwhelming majority of the Country artists were among the nicest people I met in the entertainment industry. My station, WWWW was at the time...the #1 "Modern Country" station in the U.S. at that time, thus, practically every big country artists would come by the station when they were in the area and I got to meet most of them. One of the nicest was Ricky Skaggs and it was coincidental that Vonnie Ei met him recently when Bobby and RIcky were both inducted into the Musicians Hall Of Fame in Nashville, and Vonnie made it a point to tell me what a great guy Ricky was and how they developed this great friendship during the brief time they were in Nashville together...I was able to believe it...I'm sure Anne Murray is much the same, and I never heard a bad word spoken about her...That said...I'm not sure how far from the concept of "diva" this thread has taken versus just female vocalists...assuming that they are not necessarily one in the same...