PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Daddy by the jackson 5

test

lockhartgary
10-27-2016, 04:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xex1vDl-s5Q

One of my favorite J5 songs. Love the way Michael and Jermaine interpret the lyrics. And the line, "I'll even let you drive my Caddy when I get one, baby" makes me laugh out loud!

arr&bee
10-27-2016, 04:29 PM
From the innocent days.

marv2
10-27-2016, 05:00 PM
Also one of my favorites from around Christmas 1971.

thommg
10-27-2016, 05:27 PM
I think of Sugar Daddy as the "lost" Jackson 5 hit. It appeared only on their Greatest Hits LP, just like The Supremes' The Happening. I didn't really want to buy their Greatest Hits as I already had all the albums and the songs but felt compelled to buy in order to get the song on a 12" disc.

sansradio
10-27-2016, 06:31 PM
I think of Sugar Daddy as the "lost" Jackson 5 hit. It appeared only on their Greatest Hits LP, just like The Supremes' The Happening. I didn't really want to buy their Greatest Hits as I already had all the albums and the songs but felt compelled to buy in order to get the song on a 12" disc.

You've inadvertently answered my question! I've recently acquired most of the early J5 studio LPs on CD recently and wondered why I was missing it. Thanks!

soulster
10-27-2016, 06:45 PM

We had the 45. My sister bought it in January 1972 the first week after Christmas vacation was over. Later, my father bought me the Greatest Hits album.

You all noticed that the 45 has a different mix than the album, right? For the songs up to the end of 1972, you still need the 45s, as they were usually different mixes, and in the case of "Mama's Pearl" different vocal takes.

lockhartgary
10-27-2016, 08:14 PM
...You all noticed that the 45 has a different mix than the album, right? For the songs up to the end of 1972, you still need the 45s, as they were usually different mixes, and in the case of "Mama's Pearl" different vocal takes.

I never noticed. Now I'll have to dig out the 45 and have a listen!

lockhartgary
10-27-2016, 08:16 PM
I was in 1st grade when this song came out. I can't say I remember it, but I do remember Rosalyn Adkins bringing the J5 Christmas Album to our class Christmas party and it being played on one of those built-like-a-tank mono record players.

captainjames
10-27-2016, 09:00 PM
OMG I remember this song when it came out but, had forgotten about it since it is not one that is usually brought it. Michael was just so ahead of the game. Motown captured a legend and truly had a talented group at the helm.

thommg
10-27-2016, 09:25 PM
We had the 45. My sister bought it in January 1972 the first week after Christmas vacation was over. Later, my father bought me the Greatest Hits album.

You all noticed that the 45 has a different mix than the album, right? For the songs up to the end of 1972, you still need the 45s, as they were usually different mixes, and in the case of "Mama's Pearl" different vocal takes.

sansradio, you are quite welcome!

soulster, do you know if the Jackson 5 box set has the album version or the 45 version? Aside from the Motown Singles collection, has the single version appeared on a cd?

luke
10-27-2016, 11:44 PM
Sorry but to me Sugar Daddy was just another sound alike and almost an embarrassment after I Want You Back etc...I couldn't bear to listen to it. IMO[[kind of like I'm Livin in Shame after Love Child)

mowest
10-27-2016, 11:47 PM
Sorry but to me Sugar Daddy was just another sound alike and almost an embarrassment after I Want You Back ...I couldn't bear to listen to it. IMO

I agree with you, luke. By this time the “formula” used by The Corporation was wearing thin and it was time for a change.

soulster
10-28-2016, 03:43 AM

soulster, do you know if the Jackson 5 box set has the album version or the 45 version? Aside from the Motown Singles collection, has the single version appeared on a cd?

The box set has the album version. One CD that has the single mix is "The Jackson Story". Another thing: the track is out of phase! But, that can be fixed with software.

marv2
10-28-2016, 03:52 AM
I agree with you, luke. By this time the “formula” used by The Corporation was wearing thin and it was time for a change.

Soon Michael would be remaking the "oldies" from the 50s like Rockin Robin and Little Bitty Pretty One.

splanky
10-28-2016, 05:35 AM
Sorry but to me Sugar Daddy was just another sound alike and almost an embarrassment after I Want You Back etc...I couldn't bear to listen to it. IMO[[kind of like I'm Livin in Shame after Love Child)

I could not disagree with you guys any more than I do on this song. Sugar Daddy was a
romp and a half, a big favorite of all of the kids I was running with at the time. Great rhythm
track and I remember being taken by the lyrics and pure pop genius of the candy references
in the song. "Oh Henry, he's driving me nuts! Mary Jane said...I'm just a lollipop..Suckerrr..."
It was a lot of fun for us to listen to, dance to and sing along with...to each it's reach, I guess...

mjdestiny
10-28-2016, 11:30 AM

You can find the mono single mix on this CD :

https://www.amazon.com/Third-Album-Maybe-Tomorrow-Jackson/dp/B00005N8V8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1477668315&sr=1-1&keywords=third+album+maybe+tomorrow
;)

marv2
10-28-2016, 11:59 AM
I could not disagree with you guys any more than I do on this song. Sugar Daddy was a
romp and a half, a big favorite of all of the kids I was running with at the time. Great rhythm
track and I remember being taken by the lyrics and pure pop genius of the candy references
in the song. "Oh Henry, he's driving me nuts! Mary Jane said...I'm just a lollipop..Suckerrr..."
It was a lot of fun for us to listen to, dance to and sing along with...to each it's reach, I guess...

Exactly. I remember playing in the cold with these kids, the Laysons and singing it on Detroit Ave. It was very popular......with us.

sansradio
10-28-2016, 12:23 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Third-Album-Maybe-Tomorrow-Jackson/dp/B00005N8V8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1477668315&sr=1-1&keywords=third+album+maybe+tomorrow
;)

I should've held out for this edition; I got the US edition 2-fer of these two albums this summer for @ $30; ouch!

soulster
10-28-2016, 12:36 PM

You can hear the brothers having fun on the recording.

soulster
10-28-2016, 12:37 PM

;)
Yup.Istillhaveminetoo.

The nice thing is that they included the non-album B-side "I'm So Happy".

thommg
10-28-2016, 01:07 PM

;)

Thanks! I think I have that in my collection. I'll check when I get home.

midnightman
10-28-2016, 09:34 PM
I wonder why no one has asked them what was the most fun recording they did because SD is up there. MJ's spoken ad libs were hilarious.

mysterysinger
10-29-2016, 07:49 AM
The two bonus tracks appear on all the 2 on 1 releases from 2001 onwards. So that excludes the UK 2000 issue [[weird because several CDs in that series contained bonus tracks).

Philles/Motown Gary
10-31-2016, 01:27 PM
I've always loved the J5's "Sugar Daddy". The string passages and handclaps are hot, while the instrumental break and the key change are brilliant. Motown was still gettin' down!