PDA

View Full Version : A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie [[live)

test

soulster
10-23-2016, 03:25 AM
I love this band. Why did we never see anymore Black women guitarists/bassists leading and fronting bands? Check it out:

https://youtu.be/jGeKXD12sto

splanky
10-23-2016, 08:08 AM
Those were some very talented women without a doubt, soulster. Still, aren't you aware there
have been other black gals who know how to work the four, five or six strings, don't you?
India .Arie, Tracy Chapman, Joan Armatrading, Lianne Las Havas, Corrine Bailey Rae, Meshell
Ndegeocello and the Alabama Shakes' Brittany Howard all come to mind...Great find,
regardless...

soulster
10-23-2016, 02:50 PM
Those were some very talented women without a doubt, soulster. Still, aren't you aware there
have been other black gals who know how to work the four, five or six strings, don't you?
India .Arie, Tracy Chapman, Joan Armatrading, Lianne Las Havas, Corrine Bailey Rae, Meshell
Ndegeocello and the Alabama Shakes' Brittany Howard all come to mind...Great find,
regardless...
I have to admit, I forgot about them! But, very few of them lead their own bands.

marv2
10-23-2016, 09:05 PM
regardless...

and Teena Marie in my opinon.

soulster
10-24-2016, 10:21 AM
and Teena Marie in my opinon.

Oh yeah! I've never seen her in concert, but I also don't recall any footage of her playing.

marv2
10-24-2016, 07:55 PM
Oh yeah! I've never seen her in concert, but I also don't recall any footage of her playing.

I will find some for you. Teena could throw down!!!!

cozmic
10-26-2016, 05:19 PM
Hi all, there is also the 80s ladies band/group Klymaxx, featuring lead vocalists Joyce "Fenderella" Irby [[bass), Bernadette "Slap Me" Cooper, another solid lead vocalist whose name i can't recall right now, guitarist Cheryl Coley/Cooley [[sp?), and some more excellent female musicians.

Bassist Fenderella sings lead on Klymaxx' hit "I MissYou", and one of the producers [[Stephen Shockley) mentions [[with a smirk on his face) in Unsung that Fenderella's lead voice does remind him of Michael Jackson, lol.

Drummer Bernadette entered the skits in various tracks [["Meeting In The Ladies Room", "The Men All Pause", etc).

Their first 2 albums are my favourite. The early Solar production sound. Tracks from their second album which i enjoy are "Girls Will Be Girls", "The Man In My Life", "Convince Me", and "Don't Hide Your Love".

cozmic
10-26-2016, 05:33 PM
Bassplayer Debra Killings started to release music around 1987. First under the name Princess & Starbreeze, and after that as The Modest Fok. Years later she continued performing and recording under her birthname. Some years ago, a live recording of her was released on cd and dvd.

marv2
10-27-2016, 07:03 AM

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etj4UJWZiCw

luke
10-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Patrice Rushen?

marv2
10-27-2016, 09:41 PM
Patrice Rushen?

Another excellent female musician. Odetta played the guitar too.

marv2
10-27-2016, 09:43 PM
Patrice Rushen?

Oh and Sister Rosetta Thorpe although she was a Gospel artist.

phil
10-28-2016, 02:40 AM
Barbara Lynn :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ntZ2dUJ60

splanky
10-28-2016, 04:50 AM
I have to admit, I forgot about them! But, very few of them lead their own bands.

That's only because the whole concept of what constitutes a "band" has changed largely
due to the impact of hip hop on popular music. When they're out touring they definitely
lead. I understood your point to be about women's musical skills, maybe I was wrong.
I could go on about female saxophonists and drummers or any of the other areas where
the common perception is decidedly male but it wouldn't be anything others have not said
before me. BTW, I posted a video of Barbara Lynn's axe skills about 2 years ago; got no reply...