PDA

View Full Version : Teen Town 1965 - The Motown Story

test

snakepit
10-20-2016, 11:43 AM
Just had to share this....some incredible film shot at Hitsville and shown on Teen Town , local Detroit TV
Usual suspects re groups and songs but film of:
Tommy Good & Tabs
Headliners
Norman Whitfield
Mickey Stevenson & Ivy Hunter
all filmed in the snakepit, rehearsing groups/songs

and I nearly fell off my chair when Berry informs audience that Motown had just signed Staunton and Walker!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1RxYKDMIQU

snakepit
10-28-2016, 05:54 PM
Bumping this thread...would have thought that there would be some interest in a TV show featuring Berry Gordy and Barney Ales.

soulwally
10-28-2016, 07:43 PM
Bumping this thread...would have thought that there would be some interest in a TV show featuring Berry Gordy and Barney Ales.
Don't fret, I'm loving this. I can't believe the full show has been on youtube for four years and I've missed it. I've seen lots of segments from this show, first off on the first TV documentaries that featured Motown. I think the first I saw was the Tempts doing My Girl. And it was probably 1984 - I'd had to wait 20 years to see them even lip-synching it. I'd never seen Come See About me, seemingly live, with our first ever glimpse of the motown horn section. Earl is there, Robert White, Jamerson and, amazingly, I think it's Benny Benjamin on drums. Later, Whitfield close up, and Ivy and Mickey, plus Wanda looking sassy. Fabulous finale too

soulwally
10-30-2016, 08:49 AM
I'll bump it this time!

snakepit
10-30-2016, 10:31 AM
Hi Soulwally

It's a sad thought, but in about 10 years time, the history of Motown [[as you and I know it) will be completely lost and forgotten.

theboyfromxtown
11-08-2016, 05:20 AM
Snakepit. This is been discussed here before. Where is the Velvelettes reference.

soulwally
11-08-2016, 05:57 AM
So... Can't believe I missed the show... And the thread about it!

snakepit
11-08-2016, 06:59 AM
Snakepit. This is been discussed here before. Where is the Velvelettes reference.

Must have missed previous post on this show.
Velvelettes...I thought I saw dancers grooving to the track of "HWRSS".....

theboyfromxtown
11-08-2016, 12:53 PM
Must have missed previous post on this show.
Velvelettes...I thought I saw dancers grooving to the track of "HWRSS".....

Oh yeah.......I remember now.

marv2
11-08-2016, 08:46 PM
Don't fret, I'm loving this. I can't believe the full show has been on youtube for four years and I've missed it. I've seen lots of segments from this show, first off on the first TV documentaries that featured Motown. I think the first I saw was the Tempts doing My Girl. And it was probably 1984 - I'd had to wait 20 years to see them even lip-synching it. I'd never seen Come See About me, seemingly live, with our first ever glimpse of the motown horn section. Earl is there, Robert White, Jamerson and, amazingly, I think it's Benny Benjamin on drums. Later, Whitfield close up, and Ivy and Mickey, plus Wanda looking sassy. Fabulous finale too

Soulwally, regarding "Come See About Me", it was live. It was perform on the Bill Kennedy Show which was a local to us in Detroit. Back then it also aired on CKLW Windsor Ch. 9. For the special Teen Town/Motown Story, they edited in to the show to have the Supremes represented.

marv2
11-08-2016, 08:48 PM
Hi Soulwally

It's a sad thought, but in about 10 years time, the history of Motown [[as you and I know it) will be completely lost and forgotten.

No it will not. That is why Hitsville is investing $50 million in a new 50,000 sq.ft addition the the museum. The history is very, very well documented now, at this point.

snakepit
11-09-2016, 06:21 AM
Marv
I meant from a UK standpoint....there is a considerable difference in our experience on Motown, as this forum confirms.

roger
11-09-2016, 07:34 AM
Great find Mr Snakepit ... I've seen clips of some of the individual performances before but it was great to see them all together.

Interesting to hear how Barney Ales pronounced "Jobete" too .. seems like 've been saying it wrong for the past 40+ years ... I've always said it to rhyme with "Beat", he said it to rhyme with "Bet". :)

Roger

snakepit
11-09-2016, 09:53 AM
Hi Roger
For many years I thought it rhymed with "Betty"..but have assumed bet for some time
Glad you enjoyed the show...some artists and references that we probably never thought we'd see/hear.

marv2
11-09-2016, 03:36 PM
Marv
I meant from a UK standpoint....there is a considerable difference in our experience on Motown, as this forum confirms.

Oh ok, I understand now.

soulwally
11-09-2016, 05:53 PM
Great find Mr Snakepit ... I've seen clips of some of the individual performances before but it was great to see them all together.

Interesting to hear how Barney Ales pronounced "Jobete" too .. seems like 've been saying it wrong for the past 40+ years ... I've always said it to rhyme with "Beat", he said it to rhyme with "Bet". :)

Roger
Did you catch how host Robin Seymour pronounced Barney's surname too? Al-es, two syllables...

sansradio
11-09-2016, 06:11 PM
Did you catch how host Robin Seymour pronounced Barney's surname too? Al-es, two syllables...

That's the way it's pronounced. I've heard Diana pronounce it that way as well.

snakepit
11-09-2016, 06:42 PM

Yes...I thought it was Ales...as in 2 beers lol