PDA

View Full Version : The old becomes the new again right?

test

Passett
10-17-2016, 07:53 PM
When will real singing groups and bands
Return???

Passett
10-17-2016, 07:57 PM
I miss real singing and bands like from
Back in the day without all the gimmicky
Singers. Will the new Aretha, Gladys
And Supreme Take your places.

TomatoTom123
10-17-2016, 08:28 PM
I sure hope so! Some of today's music I cannot stand [[it is gimmicky, you're right!), most of it is very "average" and the stuff that I do like is overplayed and overplayed until I dislike it, Lol!

lakeside
10-17-2016, 09:12 PM
I agree 100%. To help ease the pain....here's a new group of singers singing the old stuff, and quite well I might add. I recommended this CD a month or so ago [[in case you might not have seen my posting). This is old school singing with a real band. I've barely had this CD out of my player. Yea, I'm old school with the technology, too.
https://www.amazon.com/Tell-Love-Hello-Mellow-Moods/dp/B01BD44QLK/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1476752868&sr=1-6&keywords=mellow+moods

marv2
10-17-2016, 09:35 PM
Return???

I don't know,but I can't wait. I feel strongly that cuts to school music programs over the last 25 years or so has led us to where we are now. There are'nt many new bands because there are fewer people that actually know how to play instruments. Singers often came out of the Church. Today, many young people do not attend church, let alone sing in a choir.

soulster
10-17-2016, 11:18 PM
I miss real singing and bands like from
Back in the day without all the gimmicky
Singers. Will the new Aretha, Gladys
And Supreme Take your places.
They are still around in the form of people like Adele, Bruno Mars, Usher, Meghan Trainer, and a few new ones that I can't think of the name of right now. You just have to listen to the stuff the younger generation listens to to find it. Just don't expect old-school crooning that came out of the church and street corners, though.

midnightman
10-18-2016, 02:26 AM
There are still groups but labels push solo acts more frequently right now.

arr&bee
10-18-2016, 06:36 PM
Too much technology,not enough natural singing talent and as someone said,folks don;t play instuments anymore,it's cheaper to just plug in a machine and let someone whale over a music track...sad!!!!

Jerry Oz
10-18-2016, 07:07 PM
They are still around in the form of people like Adele, Bruno Mars, Usher, Meghan Trainer, and a few new ones that I can't think of the name of right now. You just have to listen to the stuff the younger generation listens to to find it. Just don't expect old-school crooning that came out of the church and street corners, though.

Yep. There are always great vocalists. John Legend and Sam Smith are great singers. And K-Ci and JoJo Hailey have been the best soul singers of the last 25 years although few consider them as such.

TomatoTom123
10-18-2016, 07:43 PM
This guy called Eli "Paperboy" Reed really intrigued me. He is a current singer, but not a major star or household name. His style is definitely soul [[you could say classic or vintage soul, even) but he's actually white.

I listened to some of the stuff on his 2010 album [[I know, ancient!), Come And Get It, and I was surprised to find that it was rather good!!

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/eli-paperboy-reed-mn0001550908

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5_p3iLqChQ&app=desktop
This video is both fantastic and confusing in equal measure, LOL

arr&bee
10-18-2016, 07:55 PM
Ok,not bad.

Jerry Oz
10-18-2016, 11:10 PM
I'm a huge fan of an outfit called Postmodern Jukebox. They rework modern pop songs into other musical genres [[jazz, Motown, soul, bluegrass, polka, etc.). One of the artists that sings with them frequently is Morgan James and she is authentic. I'll post some of their videos when I'm not on a tablet, but here's a link to one her best songs with them.
https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=8gO_lxThc1M

Motown Eddie
10-19-2016, 12:54 PM
Return???

Here's a real singer & a real band for ya; Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings.
https://youtu.be/IlPE1rEdAdI

thommg
10-19-2016, 01:31 PM
I would add Pink to the list of real talents.

arr&bee
10-21-2016, 11:59 AM
One of the problems of today's[stars???]is that most of em sound alike..back in the day you could tell a curtis song from a smokey song or an lead by eddie,but today???good luck with that.

TomatoTom123
10-21-2016, 12:53 PM
One of the problems of today's[stars???]is that most of em sound alike..back in the day you could tell a curtis song from a smokey song or an lead by eddie,but today???good luck with that.

Yeah, I agree. I've always wondered about that though. Does it all sound the same because you don't like it? I mean, I played my younger brother [[who is mostly into today's music) some Motown a while back and he said "it all sounds the same".

[[I know... he is a complete idiot, LOL)

Jerry Oz
10-21-2016, 04:56 PM

Well, today, the producer is the performer rather than the artist. Some songs are recorded one line at a time with the producer splicing the best take of each line into the best possible version. They are effectually sampling the singer instead of letting him or her sing the whole tune.

Let's not get into how much they use effects to alter the voice so they sing on key and minimize errors. They can literally make anybody sound good

soulster
10-21-2016, 11:04 PM
Well, today, the producer is the performer rather than the artist. Some songs are recorded one line at a time with the producer splicing the best take of each line into the best possible version. They are effectually sampling the singer instead of letting him or her sing the whole tune.

Hmmmm...sounds exactly like what Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers did.

Nothing today's pop producers do is really any different than what they did back in the 60s and 70s. The only thing today's producers have that they didn't have back then is Pro Tools and Autotune.

marv2
10-21-2016, 11:38 PM

Nothing today's pop producers do is really any different than what they did back in the 60s and 70s. The only thing today's producers have that they didn't have back then is Pro Tools and Autotune.

I hate Autotune. You usually can tell when it is being employed.

TomatoTom123
10-22-2016, 12:09 AM

Yeah. At least with singers from the '60s and '70s you can know fo sure there is no autotune involved!

splanky
10-22-2016, 06:20 AM
I like Morgan James with Postmodern Jukebox too, their cover of JB's It's Man's World
is on point and actually I'm a bigger fan of their guest jazz harpist Brandee Younger...Anyway,
there are still a number of singers making music I enjoy, India Arie, Somi, Lianne Las Havas,
Liz Wright, the still bringing it Leela James and the often overlooked Alice Smith and I have to
agree with Marv, I mollyfocking HATE autotune!!!!.....Okay, I said it. I also like some of the
stuff Solange Knowles is doing....

soulster
10-22-2016, 12:27 PM

But, remember, it isn't only used to cover up for a lesser singer, it is also used for a desired effect. For example, Usher and Rihanna, excellent singers, used it for effect because it's the contemporary "sound". And, there are many, including those two, who don't use it at all.

Autotune is used because there are singers who demand 100% perfection. They don't want to have a note that is a bit "off". Today's younger audiences are also used to it.

In our day, when a band played, they might start off a song and then start rushing. It's why, when the technology became available, instruments were sampled so the tempo and pitch would be the same throughout. It also made editing easier. It makes the music boring, IMO, but that's what today's audiences expect.

Jerry Oz
10-22-2016, 03:11 PM

I didn't know that about Rodgers and Edwards, but it explains why their productions were/are instantly recognizable, which falls in line with this thread. Or am I the only one here who thinks that "Upside Down" and "I'm Coming Out" were really just Chic songs with Diana Ross singing as a guest vocalist?

To be honest, their heavy reliance on tandem vocals and cadenced singing arrangements covered up for the singers in a lot of their songs, much like producers protect the heavily-effected singers of today. The big thing today that influences what we old heads think is songs that sound alike is that so many skilled producers can do everything. I kind of miss bands who played actual instruments. There was a diversity in their sound as opposed to what one person can make electronically.

In my opinion, Stevie and Prince were the greatest performers who could produce songs by themselves, but their collaborations made for many of their best records.

Oh, and Sia is another remarkable modern artist. Was GaGa mentioned?

Jerry Oz
10-22-2016, 03:14 PM
I like Morgan James with Postmodern Jukebox too, their cover of JB's It's Man's World
is on point and actually I'm a bigger fan of their guest jazz harpist Brandee Younger...Anyway,
there are still a number of singers making music I enjoy, India Arie, Somi, Lianne Las Havas,
Liz Wright, the still bringing it Leela James and the often overlooked Alice Smith and I have to
agree with Marv, I mollyfocking HATE autotune!!!!.....Okay, I said it. I also like some of the

I'm going to do a PMJ thread. More people should know about them.

nysister
10-22-2016, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;353020]I don't know,but I can't wait. I feel strongly that cuts to school music programs over the last 25 years or so has led us to where we are now. There are'nt many new bands because there are fewer people that actually know how to play instruments. Singers often came out of the Church. Today, many young people do not attend church, let alone sing in a choir.[/QU

So true. There was a time in public schools where music class was mandatory but the music and art departments were cut and never reinstated. I was in the school band in 5th grade, playing an instrument in public school in New York City!

ralpht
10-23-2016, 12:30 PM
I detest Autotune. When I produced a singer, "autotune" was "sing the damn song until you get it right."

marv2
10-23-2016, 12:46 PM

Love India Arie!

marv2
10-23-2016, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;353020]I don't know,but I can't wait. I feel strongly that cuts to school music programs over the last 25 years or so has led us to where we are now. There are'nt many new bands because there are fewer people that actually know how to play instruments. Singers often came out of the Church. Today, many young people do not attend church, let alone sing in a choir.[/QU

So true. There was a time in public schools where music class was mandatory but the music and art departments were cut and never reinstated. I was in the school band in 5th grade, playing an instrument in public school in New York City!

Yes Sister, I remember when everyone in elementary school learned to play an instrument even if it were the old plastic recorders. We all had music classes too where you sang a variety of music. I even knew how to sing "Ave Maria" by the 3rd Grade! LOL!!!

marv2
10-23-2016, 12:49 PM
I detest Autotune. When I produced a singer, "autotune" was "sing the damn song until you get it right."

Exactly! To use "autotune" is to cheat.......everyone! The singer would be incapable of singing live and even coming close to the recording.

TomatoTom123
10-23-2016, 04:07 PM

LOL, too right Ralph! Actually, when did autotune come about, when did artists start using it?

ralpht
10-23-2016, 06:00 PM
Maybe ten or fifteen years ago I think, Tom. I remember these young guys getting into Pro Tools and other computer mediums that had the ability. They used to brag about using it. SAD

Jerry Oz
10-23-2016, 10:42 PM
Exactly! To use "autotune" is to cheat.......everyone! The singer would be incapable of singing live and even coming close to the recording.

Which might explain why so many elect to lip synch. It kills me when I see artists jumping around on stage with no modulation in their voice levels. You can't even hear it when they are gasping for air while sounding very much like they do on their records.

soulster
10-24-2016, 10:07 AM
Which might explain why so many elect to lip synch. It kills me when I see artists jumping around on stage with no modulation in their voice levels. You can't even hear it when they are gasping for air while sounding very much like they do on their records.

Well, they would sound terrible if they tried to sing while dancing around. Depending on the artist, people come to a concert to SEE the person. They come to SEE a stage performance. They can HEAR the song anytime.

soulster
10-24-2016, 10:18 AM
I didn't know that about Rodgers and Edwards, but it explains why their productions were/are instantly recognizable, which falls in line with this thread.

Sister Sledge revealed that they were fed the lyrics line by line. They would get a line, they would record it. Next line, same thing, and so on. The reason they did that is so the singers wouldn't improvise or over-sing. Nile 'n Nard were exact. They wanted a certain result and that's how they got it.

Or am I the only one here who thinks that "Upside Down" and "I'm Coming Out" were really just Chic songs with Diana Ross singing as a guest vocalist?

On the other hand, Diana Ross wanted to try new things when they recorded that album. They let her loose on the vocals, as evidenced on the original Bob Clearmountain or "Chic" mix of the album [[you do have it, don't you?). The reason Motown/Ross decided to go in and change it was precisely because it sounded like a Chic record with her as a guest singer. That Clearmountain version has been out for over a decade. You can easily buy it. Listening to it also gives you an interesting insight of how records are made, and how the producer and mix can make or break a recording. Same thing with the "Detroit" mix of Marvin gaye's "What's Going On" album.

To be honest, their heavy reliance on tandem vocals and cadenced singing arrangements covered up for the singers in a lot of their songs, much like producers protect the heavily-effected singers of today. The big thing today that influences what we old heads think is songs that sound alike is that so many skilled producers can do everything. I kind of miss bands who played actual instruments. There was a diversity in their sound as opposed to what one person can make electronically.

Don't kid yourself. There was a lot of copy-cak, cookie-cutter music back in our day, too.

In my opinion, Stevie and Prince were the greatest performers who could produce songs by themselves, but their collaborations made for many of their best records.

There are many of them, not just those two.

ralpht
10-24-2016, 11:54 AM
In case you guys missed this video, you may find it interesting.

https://youtu.be/A9uiouUw2PY

thommg
10-24-2016, 12:19 PM
Autotune is used because there are singers who demand 100% perfection. They don't want to have a note that is a bit "off". Today's younger audiences are also used to it.

Using Autotune and creating a "perfect" recording is what robs the songs of emotion and and underlying connection with the singer. There are many "blemishes" on original Motown recordings that we accept as part of the excitement of the recording.

jsmith
10-24-2016, 02:47 PM
Eli 'Paperboy' Reed is quite well known. His records / CD's sell well & he tours all over.
When he does gigs in the UK & Europe, he usually sells out but then he's not at the big arena show stage yet.
If a decent record company got behind him, he'd do great.

Guy
10-24-2016, 02:56 PM

I love Alice Smith! Her voice is spine-tingling. I've only recently discovered Lianne La Havas and she's great. As is Lizz Wright. I'd add Gregory Porter, Bilal and Corinne Bailey Rae to the list of contemporary artists with genuine talent.

marv2
10-26-2016, 01:48 AM
I do like Ledisi. Janelle Monae is a good singer as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzJKYrvxPrQ

arr&bee
10-27-2016, 04:27 PM
We have to be fair though,there's talent in every generation,now having said that i'm gonna say this and i may not be the only one here who feels this way...from the years...[1946-the inkspots with bill kenney]to the[80's with m.j.]and i'm not gonna list all the great ones because it's already known but in those five decades more great singing talent came about then at any other time since!!

ms_m
11-05-2016, 02:49 AM
We have to be fair though,there's talent in every generation,now having said that i'm gonna say this and i may not be the only one here who feels this way...from the years...[1946-the inkspots with bill kenney]to the[80's with m.j.]and i'm not gonna list all the great ones because it's already known but in those five decades more great singing talent came about then at any other time since!!

but name me one modern day song that you will be able to remember in 5-10 years....the vocal talent is there but....

I'm sorry folks but super greed ruin the game. Yes it was always about the money but not to the extent it is today and Marv is correct in that the de-funding of music programs in schools didn't help the situation. Kids today [[for the most part) would not know an off key note if it slapped them across the head. Our day is gone...if it ever comes back we'll be dead. Not saying there isn't good music to be found but you really have to look for it. Back in the day it was just there!

I use to like Bruno Mars until I heard something he did recently....very disappointed. It is what it is. shrugs

splanky
11-05-2016, 07:46 AM
but name me one modern day song that you will be able to remember in 5-10 years....the vocal talent is there but....
[/I]

Of the singers I currently listen to I can think of quite a few songs I'll enjoy until my ticket
is punched...

https://youtu.be/WOvqbACRKsM

but I guess that's just me. I agree with much of what's being said here but I think the notion
that there is no more real music being made is ridiculous. I'm constantly finding new stuff to
listen to as well as older stuff I may have missed but although I like everyone, like to visit
the past sometimes, I don't want to live there...

ms_m
11-05-2016, 09:00 AM
What's up Splank?

Give me a few examples. That's not me being snarky but curious to check some things out I may and probably missed. I love the music from the past but I'm old enough to KNOW...the good old days was not what's it's currently being cracked up to be so, no living in the past for me...but enjoying the music from back in my day....ahhhh...now that's like drinking a fine wine. Just keeps getting better with age!:D

ms_m
11-05-2016, 09:33 AM
Your girl Alice has a nice voice but sorry, the song isn't going to be stuck in my head the rest of the day....LOL
Again, I agree there is decent music to be found if you really look for it but some things will never be duplicated....that's just the way it is. I was listening to Nate King Cole recently and dayum...are you really going to be able to get that kind of feeling with Alice a year from now?

ms_m
11-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Oh and BTW, I've never bought any Lady GaGa and probably never will but even I can admit she can sing and knows how to deliver a song. But nothing I've heard [[except the duets she did with Tony Bennett) will stick with me past the first listen. The only contemporary artist I can think of whose music will stick with me is Amy Winehouse...and she's gone. shrugs

splanky
11-05-2016, 10:05 AM
Your girl Alice has a nice voice but sorry, the song isn't going to be stuck in my head the rest of the day....LOL
Again, I agree there is decent music to be found if you really look for it but some things will never be duplicated....that's just the way it is. I was listening to Nate King Cole recently and dayum...are you really going to be able to get that kind of feeling with Alice a year from now?

I can only tell you what I like of the newer music, M. I loved Nat King Cole too, have much of his stuff but the thing is he died. Like so many of my favorites so I can only enjoy them in
retrospect. I don't care if say,...Somi or Leela James or Latasha Lee or Andra Day are not the
giants Aretha, Patti or even Diana became, I can enjoy them now, watch how they develop
their careers and see and hear them now. As far as Alice Smith is concerned, I wasn't crazy
about the instrumentation on her first release, this being the second, but for me personally,
her voice, her singing, her phrasing and range...yea, I'd say I'm permanently smitten...I know
you're partial to the guys, tho. It might be a bit outside of your range but have you heard
Gregory Porter?...

Oh, and definitely check out Latasha Lee....

ms_m
11-05-2016, 10:33 AM
I've GOT to go but yeah I am partial to the guys.:cool:

Gregory Porter sounds familiar and I'm not sure about Latasha Lee but that's kinda my point....even if I've heard these artists and liked them, they just don't stick with me...more to come when I get back.

Jerry Oz
11-05-2016, 01:26 PM

I'm sorry folks but super greed ruin the game. Yes it was always about the money but not to the extent it is today and Marv is correct in that the de-funding of music programs in schools didn't help the situation. Kids today [[for the most part) would not know an off key note if it slapped them across the head. Our day is gone...if it ever comes back we'll be dead. Not saying there isn't good music to be found but you really have to look for it. Back in the day it was just there!

I use to like Bruno Mars until I heard something he did recently....very disappointed. It is what it is. shrugs

I'm not a big fan of today's music but "All Of Me" by John Legend immediately came to mind when you asked for one song. There are many more, but I get your point.

TomatoTom123
11-05-2016, 01:30 PM
I'm not a big fan of today's music but "All Of Me" by John Legend immediately came to mind when you asked for one song. There are many more, but I get your point.

Hmm [[this probably because it's overplayed) I don't like that one. Bit too depressing for me, LOL. I like "Love On Top" by Beyoncé...? :)

Jerry Oz
11-05-2016, 02:12 PM
Hmm [[this probably because it's overplayed) I don't like that one. Bit too depressing for me, LOL. I like "Love On Top" by Beyoncé...? :)

I don't like it a lot either. My wife hates it. But it's playing on a loop in my head for the next few hours [[from hearing it too many times), so I suspect it will be a future oldie but goodie.

arr&bee
11-05-2016, 03:29 PM
MS M YOU'RE STILL AS SHARP AS EVER,I CAN'T THINK OF A SINGLE SONG TODAY THAT I'LL REMEMBER A YEAR FROM NOW EITHER[of course I forget my kids names too]NOW I LOVE BEYONCE,ALICIA KEYS AND JOHN LEGEND,AND HAD THEY BEEN AROUND WHEN MOTOWN WAS IN POWER NO DOUBT THEY WOULD'VE BEEN THERE,BUT THE SONGS WE GREW UP ON ARE THE CLASSICS.

ms_m
11-05-2016, 04:44 PM
I love you more arr&bee.

Now this is the sort of thing I'm talking about....I heard this song a million years ago and fell in love with it....today...the words still resonate with me....that's just one of the many things that make a classic.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_VwzQHlcvg

arr&bee
11-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Oh no question,one of the many great songs from that classic group.

destruction
11-18-2016, 01:41 PM
Splanky turned me on to this tune a few years ago....and it's been on several of my playlists. I was singing along to it in the car after picking up my youngest and a few of her friends from music project at church, and the 3 of them were singing the background part in the backseat.... and sounding much better than me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGMGSmzCgrI

I love Ledisi....and have been into Janelle Monae, thanks to the Undercover Black Man's blog years before her breakout Tightrope. And I've listened to dozens of other "real" artists over the years..... some through my kids, some not.

IMHO.....Saying the music of today doesn't compare to the music of my past is like saying, "the book was better than the movie". Duh. Nearly everyone over 50 says that.

Most of us don't listen to the "radio" nearly as much as we used to. How can you compare songs that you've listened to over 10 times to something that you've heard once or twice.....especially if you're already prejudiced.

As for me personally......when it comes to music, just like books, movies and TV.....it doesn't have to be as good as "fill in the blank" for me to like it. I watch bad TV and I'm sure I listen to "bad" music....despite what Louis Armstrong said.

The music from 40 years ago may be much better than what's on the radio now......but people who grew up with Louis Armstrong and Ella and Billie and Benny Goodman and Nina and so on......used to say the same thing about Funkadelic and EWF and Chaka and so on.

There will always be someone somewhere making good music.....it's there for us to find.

And for R&B and MsM and that "I don't think I'll remember this music 10 years from now" [[paraphrase)....... 10 years from now you'll be lucky to remember what you ate for breakfast.... and so on.

arr&bee
11-18-2016, 03:08 PM
Your points are well taken and logical,but me being me i'm stickin to my guns...most of the music of today-s-u-c-k-s..oh and i do listen to alot more songs because i have a college aged daughter who like most youngsters tells me i'm too biased....hehehehe hell yeah and gonna stay that way!!!

Jerry Oz
11-18-2016, 03:23 PM
Be honest, y'all. We remember the music from the past because it was in the soundtrack of our best years. We remember dancing to those songs at house parties and nightclubs. We remember the songs that were playing when we first fell in love. We remember the school dances when we stole our first kisses and rubbed bellies while our friends watched, jealously. All the good times.

These days? Who cares what's on the radio when you're on your way to get a colonoscopy? Or what's on the TV music channels when your oatmeal is finally cool enough to eat? We are playing out the string and instead of wanting to face it, we consider today's music to be inferior because we probably feel that way ourselves.

LOL.

TomatoTom123
11-18-2016, 04:01 PM
Today's music cannot compare with that of the '60s and '70s! No way. There's just something about it, something that makes it special, and for me, because I wasn't there, there's an element of mystery and fascination as well! Lol ;)

arr&bee
11-18-2016, 04:09 PM
be honest, y'all. We remember the music from the past because it was in the soundtrack of our best years. We remember dancing to those songs at house parties and nightclubs. We remember the songs that were playing when we first fell in love. We remember the school dances when we stole our first kisses and rubbed bellies while our friends watched, jealously. All the good times.

These days? Who cares what's on the radio when you're on your way to get a colonoscopy? Or what's on the tv music channels when your oatmeal is finally cool enough to eat? We are playing out the string and instead of wanting to face it, we consider today's music to be inferior because we probably feel that way ourselves.

Lol.hey jerry,if you've ever eaten at grasy grady's you'd feel inferior too,oh and for a limited time only if you dare to eat there at thanksgiving.you'll get a free referral for a colonoscopy at the clinic of your choice!!

Jerry Oz
11-18-2016, 05:06 PM
When I heard that Grady was serving fried turkeys on Thanksgiving, I didn't know he was talking about the base heads and winos who had nowhere else to eat.

moe
11-18-2016, 05:16 PM
Your points are well taken and logical,but me being me i'm stickin to my guns...most of the music of today-s-u-c-k-s..oh and i do listen to alot more songs because i have a college aged daughter who like most youngsters tells me i'm too biased....hehehehe hell yeah and gonna stay that way!!!
I'm gonna faint because this part of you I agree with. Is this your nanosecond of lucidity, R&B?

Or better yet.......I got the vapors!!

Des.........we ALL sing better than you!!

ms_m
11-18-2016, 06:38 PM
And for R&B and MsM and that "I don't think I'll remember this music 10 years from now" [[paraphrase)....... 10 years from now you'll be lucky to remember what you ate for breakfast.... and so on.

Never said music of today was inferior and never said it was all garbage. I said people will probably not remember it in years to come the way we do our songs and I will add, doubt they will revere their music the way we do our music. So I'm sticking to my guns, chaps and horse too!

I don't need to wait ten years. I can't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning. So if that was your best shot, DUDE you're slipping.:eek:

destruction
11-18-2016, 11:14 PM
"i'm too biased....hehehehe hell yeah and gonna stay that way!!! "

Maybe you will....but she's gonna outlast ya.

Tomato T....The first element of mystery is.....which music of the 60's and 70's are you referring to?

"Des.........we ALL sing better than you!! "
Thank you for speaking truth to power.

MsM........I save my best shots for the best......don't poke.

TomatoTom123
11-19-2016, 06:15 AM
Tomato T....The first element of mystery is.....which music of the 60's and 70's are you referring to

MOTOWN!! Of course, Lol :)
Basically just Soul and related R&B, Funk and Disco. In essence I like '60s and '70s Soul more than I like today's Soul, I think that's what I'm trying to say. [[In other words, I would probably dislike heavy metal music from the '60s just as much as today's heavy metal, hehe. I don't know!)

splanky
11-19-2016, 11:17 AM
So as I'm understanding now, the main point of this thread was to whine...Personally I think
that if one doesn't like any of the music being made today one shouldn't listen to it. As I said
I don't like autotune or most of current Hot 100 Billboard pop acts so I don't buy them. When
I want to hear that old school classic soul/r&b or classic rock for that matter, that's what I
have my collection for. But going back to the original notion in this thread that no one is singing and playing real instruments anymore, that is not true at all. As des said, you have to look for it. Why? Because it's not our time anymore, that's why. We had our time when our taste ran the charts and motivated the big labels bu tit's done. Louis whined about be-bop,
purists whined about fusion, rockers whined about disco and almost everybody whined about rap. Whether you agreed or not, it didn't stop the change. Yes, I agree that a lot
of today's music sucks but I know 2 things that helps me...1. Constantly whining about it
is not gonna make them stop producing it and 2. Not ALL of it sucks...like what you like and
keep it moving....

ms_m
11-19-2016, 11:36 AM
MsM........I save my best shots for the best......don't poke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZinb6rVozc

:p

Jerry Oz
11-19-2016, 05:00 PM
So as I'm understanding now, the main point of this thread was to whine...Personally I think
that if one doesn't like any of the music being made today one shouldn't listen to it. As I said
I don't like autotune or most of current Hot 100 Billboard pop acts so I don't buy them. When
I want to hear that old school classic soul/r&b or classic rock for that matter, that's what I
have my collection for. But going back to the original notion in this thread that no one is singing and playing real instruments anymore, that is not true at all. As des said, you have to look for it. Why? Because it's not our time anymore, that's why. We had our time when our taste ran the charts and motivated the big labels bu tit's done. Louis whined about be-bop,
purists whined about fusion, rockers whined about disco and almost everybody whined about rap. Whether you agreed or not, it didn't stop the change. Yes, I agree that a lot
of today's music sucks but I know 2 things that helps me...1. Constantly whining about it
is not gonna make them stop producing it and 2. Not ALL of it sucks...like what you like and
keep it moving....Great post. Somebody is buying it, so it is as relevant to them as our oldies are to us. In thirty years [[forty?) we'll all be dead and somebody will be posting the same stuff on another message board about the music of that time. C'est la vie.

Your post reminded me of a story that Herbie Hancock once relayed. He told Miles Davis that Wynton Marsalis was coming down hard about Hancock's forays into pop and hip hop. "Wynton needs to shut up," Davis said about Marsalis' insistence that great jazz artists should focus their energy on making great jazz. "That's what they make records for."

If you like the old stuff, there's plenty of it to listen to.

ms_m
11-19-2016, 06:15 PM
Something to think about...

I just went back to re-read many of the post and some people said why they didn't like today's music. Some posted or recommended names of groups or artist beyond "our oldies" they felt people should listen to and some posted about different techniques used in music today but I honestly didn't see anything that could be thought of as whining. I saw opinions being expressed about new music vs old.

Granted, these discussions have been taking place, every so often since I joined but I'm seeing new names I've never seen before, so why shouldn't the new peeps have a chance to voice their opinions or ideas along with the senior posters?

Everyone has a right to express their opinion, even people who don't like or disagree with said opinion but keep in mind, many of us are familiar and comfortable with one another and we tend to have a short hand, if you will, in the way we communicate. But not everyone here is a senior member and saying to them they are whining because they decided to share may be a turn off. Could also be one of the many reasons why there are 30k+ lurkers who don't want to join in.

Just a thought.:)

TomatoTom123
11-19-2016, 06:55 PM
Woohoo, shout out to the newbies! And the lurkers! Hehe :)

I have only been here a few months and almost all discussions I have had have been great! With this one, I don't really see people whining, just making points right?

ms_m
11-19-2016, 07:18 PM
Woohoo, shout out to the newbies! And the lurkers! Hehe :)

I have only been here a few months and almost all discussions I have had have been great! With this one, I don't really see people whining, just making points right?

TomatoTom, when I read there were more than 30,000 lurkers it blew me away. Now I'm sure they all have their reasons for not joining but I started remembering when I was a lurker. Although there are still a lot of heavyweights here, back then there even more and many were legends in their own right and the others were posters who lived and breathe this stuff.

I LOVE MUSIC, but didn't feel I was knowledgeable enough to chime in to any of the discussions. Then one day I posted. Can't remember the topic buy my post had something to do with a non Motown, non R&B group and the first person that responded welcomed me and made me feel good about what I had said. He also said I should always feel like I could express myself. Eventually I started to do just that which on numerous occasions pissed folk off and I'm sure caused all kinds of headaches for Ralph....LOL...but it was that one poster that me feel welcome and let me know my opinion mattered.

Realizing this thread was started by a junior member I thought it was time I played it forward. So welcome to all of you I don't know new and old and to all the lurkers..Jump in. The water can be choppy at times but hey, it can also be great fun....and the music....OH MY THE MUSIC:D

TomatoTom123
11-19-2016, 07:57 PM
ms_m, I think you have captured what it means to be a lurker perfectly!

I wasn't a full-time lurker as such, just coming across old threads when looking up obscure Motown things. The thought of joining didn't even cross my mind. Seeing Joe Harris of The Undisputed Truth and Dennis Coffey posting on this very site made me think that this was not for me. Everyone on here already knew each other and I suppose didn't think I could be a part of it. [[I know, so sad, lol) I mean, who I am!? I am nobody, and I know nothing!

I eventually joined because I wanted to know something about The Undisputed Truth. The first person to answer [[shout out to marv2, hehe!) actually KNEW Joe Harris. Mind-BLOWN.

And now I love it here! Like-minded lovers of Motown music talking about Motown music [[among other things), it's just great!

So, this is a shout out to the lurkers! All 30,000 of ya! Hehe :)

moe
11-19-2016, 09:08 PM
Ms M.........:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

ms_m
11-19-2016, 09:28 PM
Ms M.........:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Smooches my friend and a whole lotta smilies to you too....HAHAHAHA

Oh and a shout out to Chi Drummer wherever you are.;)

Jerry Oz
11-19-2016, 10:37 PM
Well, isn't this Thursday Lurkey Day? Maybe the ghosts will use the occasion to make their presence known.

ms_m
11-20-2016, 04:05 AM
So, Old Ghostbusters or New Ghostbusters, who ya gonna call? :p

splanky
11-20-2016, 09:11 AM
Sorry, I myself heard a lot of whining. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned it. It's okay, people
have the right to whine in this country. Still. We'll see what happens after Rump takes office.
Anyway, peace to all the newbies and lurkers. Have a nice day...

arr&bee
11-20-2016, 10:25 AM
30.000 lurkers????are you kidding me??wow this place is a national treasure...hey ralph,are they gonna put us in the archives or the smithsonian,hehehehehe!!!

moe
11-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Ms M,
I'm with your team today. I want EE & Company to beat the Ravens!!
Good Luck!!

ms_m
11-20-2016, 01:41 PM
Ms M,
I'm with your team today. I want EE & Company to beat the Ravens!!
Good Luck!!

MY GIRL....You ALWAYS come through in the clutch.:D

You have an easy day today but I ain't to proud to pull for the Steelers. Always had a soft spot for Franco and Tomlin is pretty ez on the eyes too! LOL

ms_m
11-20-2016, 01:44 PM
30.000 lurkers????are you kidding me??wow this place is a national treasure...hey ralph,are they gonna put us in the archives or the smithsonian,hehehehehe!!!

30k AND PLUS....You start the petition to get us in somebody's Hall of Fame and I'll sign. :)

Jerry Oz
11-20-2016, 03:02 PM
So, Old Ghostbusters or New Ghostbusters, who ya gonna call? :pThe funny ones. I'll let you decide which ones they were...

moe
11-20-2016, 05:28 PM
Thank you Ms M!!!!!!!!!!!
Cowboys win!

ms_m
11-20-2016, 06:30 PM
The funny ones. I'll let you decide which ones they were...

Didn't bother to see the second one so I'll go with the original. Surprise, surprise. LOL

ms_m
11-20-2016, 06:31 PM
Thank you Ms M!!!!!!!!!!!
Cowboys win!

We Be Smokin Moe!

Jerry Oz
11-20-2016, 07:29 PM
Didn't bother to see the second one so I'll go with the original. Surprise, surprise. LOLI didn't laugh once at the new one. Glad I didn't pay to see it.

TomatoTom123
11-20-2016, 07:37 PM
I didn't laugh once at the new one. Glad I didn't pay to see it.

Lol. I think I laughed a couple of times. And I paid...

arr&bee
11-21-2016, 03:12 PM
30k and plus....you start the petition to get us in somebody's hall of fame and i'll sign. :)hehehe..ms m,your name carries alot more weight than mine,so maybe you can speak to some of your friends on the hill and get us in..i -umm-err-heh-amhe..once had my name on a petition but the judge threw it and me out of court and said for me never to have anything with my name on it ever appear again!!!

ms_m
11-21-2016, 04:04 PM
hehehe..ms m,your name carries alot more weight than mine,so maybe you can speak to some of your friends on the hill and get us in..i -umm-err-heh-amhe..once had my name on a petition but the judge threw it and me out of court and said for me never to have anything with my name on it ever appear again!!!

LOL...I'll have to get right on it then cause after Jan 20, 2017, I'll be persona non grata in dem dere parts.;)

arr&bee
11-22-2016, 04:36 PM
Ms m,stay in shape cause we're drafting you for[2020]!!