PDA

View Full Version : Dionne & Friends "That's What Friends Are For" [[1988) Television Special

test

marv2
10-16-2016, 03:34 AM
This was one of the best music related television specials I had ever seen. Incredible performances by each artist throughout. Here is the finale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv1oPvSg5G0

masterblaster
10-16-2016, 10:44 AM
This one of the best music related television specials I had ever seen. Incredible performances by each artist throughout. Here is the finale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv1oPvSg5G0

Great clip Marv, I saw Gladys Knight on her final tour in Manchester in the UK a few years ago. She sang this song and Dionne joined her on stage during the performance. Such a great surprise.
Some great artists join Dionne at the end of this clip although I can't name them all. Can anyone out there list each of the artists. I recognised Luther Vandross, Burt Bacharach, Lena Horne, Barry Manilow.

marv2
10-16-2016, 11:11 AM
Great clip Marv, I saw Gladys Knight on her final tour in Manchester in the UK a few years ago. She sang this song and Dionne joined her on stage during the performance. Such a great surprise.
Some great artists join Dionne at the end of this clip although I can't name them all. Can anyone out there list each of the artists. I recognised Luther Vandross, Burt Bacharach, Lena Horne, Barry Manilow.

Well lets see. We have Elton John, Mary Wilson, Expose, Nancy Wilson, Leslie Uggams, Stevie Wonder, Howard Hewlett, Justin Nguyen, Lisa Fisher, Ava Cherry, Bryron Allen, Holly Robinson, Sugar Ray Leonard, Donnie Simpson, Yakoff Smirnov, Robert Townsend, Blair Underwood, George Kirby, Kevin Owens, Burt Bacharach, and others....

Bluebrock
10-16-2016, 04:05 PM
Gladys does a "farewell" tour of the UK on a regular basis!! I have seen a few of them but missed the one just recently! Never mind, there will be another in 2018!

marv2
10-16-2016, 07:19 PM
Gladys does a "farewell" tour of the UK on a regular basis!! I have seen a few of them but missed the one just recently! Never mind, there will be another in 2018!

Maybe she believes in "Neither One of Us Wants to be the First to Say Goodbye".

daviddesper
10-17-2016, 12:38 AM
I am not sure I have ever even HEARD of this special, much less seen it. Was it on one of the major networks?

marv2
10-17-2016, 12:56 AM
I am not sure I have ever even HEARD of this special, much less seen it. Was it on one of the major networks?

It was on Showtime around May of 1988.

johnny_raven
10-17-2016, 02:32 AM
I remember watching it on Showtime in '88. It was an Aids Benefit concert. That being said, I always thought it was a poor choice for Dionne to sing "I'll Never Love that Way Again" on the special.

reese
10-17-2016, 07:13 AM
There were actually two specials made from this benefit. Both of them aired on Showtime.

marv2
10-17-2016, 07:51 AM
There were actually two specials made from this benefit. Both of them aired on Showtime.

Yeah the second one felt like outtakes, behind the scenes etc..