PDA

View Full Version : Background on Paul Nixon

test

woodward
10-15-2016, 06:46 PM
I was playing my Isley Brothers double CD just now and reading the booklet as I usually do. The name Paul Nixon stood out. I recall his name from the Cellarful of Motown series and more recently some publicity on the photos that he is making available for public to see. So, I went to the Motown Encyclopedia to see what I could learn about him. Nothing. Then I went into the new Motown: The Sound of Young America. Nothing. I checked the index on Sharon Davis's excellent book. Nothing.

Can anyone give a brief background on Paul? He seems to be very much into Motown, I assume in the UK.

I am sure I am not the only one in the dark. Hopefully others will learn of his background and the important role he played in the Motown legacy and the important role he continues to play.

Thank you.

westgrandboulevard
10-15-2016, 06:56 PM
Woodward...

Paul is a member of Soulful Detroit.

I have sent a message to theboyfromxtown who is a good friend of Paul's, who I hope will be able to alert him to your enquiry. We are all in the UK.

Hope you hear something soon:)

soulwally
10-15-2016, 07:12 PM
Woodward...

Paul is a member of Soulful Detroit.

I have sent a message to theboyfromxtown who is a good friend of Paul's, who I hope will be able to alert him to your enquiry. We are all in the UK.

Hope you hear something soon:)
Sharon's book is sketchy, to say the least, so don't expect too much there

BayouMotownMan
10-15-2016, 08:30 PM
Gentleman Paul Nixon has been instrumental in getting us some rare Motown releases as has our The Boy From Crosstown. They know their Motown

mysterysinger
10-16-2016, 08:47 PM
Sharon's book is sketchy, to say the least, so don't expect too much there

I suspect Woodward's original post referencing the Motown Encyclopedia wasn't referring to the book by Sharon Davis but the one by our very own Hotspurman which is a truly excellent piece of work and referred to in a sticky thread at the top of the Motown Forum.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?11843-Motown-Encyclopedia

paul_nixon
10-17-2016, 06:24 AM
I was playing my Isley Brothers double CD just now and reading the booklet as I usually do. The name Paul Nixon stood out. I recall his name from the Cellarful of Motown series and more recently some publicity on the photos that he is making available for public to see. So, I went to the Motown Encyclopedia to see what I could learn about him. Nothing. Then I went into the new Motown: The Sound of Young America. Nothing. I checked the index on Sharon Davis's excellent book. Nothing.

Can anyone give a brief background on Paul? He seems to be very much into Motown, I assume in the UK.

I am sure I am not the only one in the dark. Hopefully others will learn of his background and the important role he played in the Motown legacy and the important role he continues to play.

Thank you.

Woodward - thank you for your enquiry - gosh I feel a little overwhelmed that anyone would be interested in who I am.
Basically my story started back in the late 90's [[I think it was) when I thought the [[then) current owners of the Motown catalogue were doing a pretty poor job with their releases - and so me being me without thinking sent them a letter [[Yes a type written letter in the post) to tell them so.
Needless to say I didn't get any response at all and it was about 3 or 4 years after the letter that the phone rang one day and it was Universal saying they had taken over the Motown catalogue and had found my letter in the back of a former employees office drawer. After sever conversations they asked me to write sleeve notes to a couple of projects including a box set of British Motown Chartbusters which was followed by an invitation to compile my very first CD for their budget label, Spectrum and do you know what I'm not sure I remember which one that was. The rest is history with many of my ideas being taken up including Cellarful and the Anthology series.
So there it is - a potted history I have no real claim to fame just an enthusiastic fan like all of you - I was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time. Oh and it has brought me the best circle of Motown buddies you could ever ask for so it was a double bonus.

woodward
10-17-2016, 08:38 AM
Woodward - thank you for your enquiry - gosh I feel a little overwhelmed that anyone would be interested in who I am.
Basically my story started back in the late 90's [[I think it was) when I thought the [[then) current owners of the Motown catalogue were doing a pretty poor job with their releases - and so me being me without thinking sent them a letter [[Yes a type written letter in the post) to tell them so.
Needless to say I didn't get any response at all and it was about 3 or 4 years after the letter that the phone rang one day and it was Universal saying they had taken over the Motown catalogue and had found my letter in the back of a former employees office drawer. After sever conversations they asked me to write sleeve notes to a couple of projects including a box set of British Motown Chartbusters which was followed by an invitation to compile my very first CD for their budget label, Spectrum and do you know what I'm not sure I remember which one that was. The rest is history with many of my ideas being taken up including Cellarful and the Anthology series.
So there it is - a potted history I have no real claim to fame just an enthusiastic fan like all of you - I was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time. Oh and it has brought me the best circle of Motown buddies you could ever ask for so it was a double bonus.
Paul: Thank you very much for providing this information. I learned a lot about you that I did not know. I assumed you were employed in some capacity in the UK by Motown, but I never saw it in print that you were.
I was really surprised that the Motown Encyclopedia did not have asegment on you. Your name keeps popping up, on the CDs and also on the Motown Forum. I am glad to learn what you have revealed here. I am certain other members will gain from what you said. Thank you very much.