PDA

View Full Version : Did Norman Whitfield Sing?

test

TomatoTom123
10-15-2016, 02:36 PM
This is a bit of a weird question, but I was wondering: did Norman Whitfield do any singing?

It would seem that the skills of writing and producing often overlap with singing, as many Motown songwriters and producers [[like Holland-Dozier-Holland, Ashford & Simpson, Barrett Strong, William Weatherspoon, Ivy Jo Hunter, Robert Bateman, etc.) could all sing, and many of them wanted to - and did.

However, I have never heard or read that the brilliant Norman Whitfield did any singing - at all! Is this true? Could he sing? Did he sing?

midnightman
10-15-2016, 03:17 PM
Nah. I think someone, could've been a Rose Royce member, said Norman couldn't sing at all.

TomatoTom123
10-15-2016, 03:28 PM
Nah. I think someone, could've been a Rose Royce member, said Norman couldn't sing at all.

Really? Wow, fascinating. Creator of so much BRILLIANT music and he couldn't even sing!

robb_k
10-15-2016, 05:38 PM
Really? Wow, fascinating. Creator of so much BRILLIANT music and he couldn't even sing!
Maybe he didn't sing well enough to have any recordings put on a record and to chart. But, he must have been able to sing enough to show the singers he produced what he had in mind as to how his songs should be sung.

arr&bee
10-15-2016, 05:47 PM
I think that because motown had so much vocal talent we just assume that everyone there could sing,producers included.

TomatoTom123
10-15-2016, 05:55 PM
Maybe he didn't sing well enough to have any recordings put on a record and to chart. But, he must have been able to sing enough to show the singers he produced what he had in mind as to how his songs should be sung.

Yes, very true. He definitely had a talent for music, regardless!

midnightman
10-15-2016, 05:59 PM

Doesn't mean he didn't know what he wanted. He knew good music. You don't have to sing to know how to produce. Berry Gordy wasn't much of a singer either lmao

TomatoTom123
10-15-2016, 06:05 PM
Doesn't mean he didn't know what he wanted. He knew good music. You don't have to sing to know how to produce. Berry Gordy wasn't much of a singer either lmao

True! :)
And, oh yea, forgot about Berry Gordy. Never heard him sing either, Lol!

I think I could write a song [[it's just like poetry, right? Lol) but I wouldn't know how to get someone to sing it right.

arr&bee
10-15-2016, 06:23 PM
You don't have to be a singer to get your point across, if you can hum it can be recorded.

robb_k
10-15-2016, 06:27 PM
True! :)
And, oh yea, forgot about Berry Gordy. Never heard him sing either, Lol!

I think I could write a song [[it's just like poetry, right? Lol) but I wouldn't know how to get someone to sing it right.
If you're a hands-on producer [[e.g. not just an "executive producer"), and you run the recording session, you not only need to know what you expert to hear in the final product, but also need to be able to communicate that to the singer. I suppose you could get around having to "demo" certain lines in the song, IF you have ALL your songwriters sing demo recordings of the songs, for the ultimate recording singer to follow. But, THEN, I'd expect you would need to demo the phrases for the "demo singer".

I had to do some of that at Airwave Records. I can't sing well enough to make any money at it. But, after 67 years of listening to singers, I have a good idea of what I want singers to do in given songs, and just using word instructions is not a very good way to get those ideas and desires across. It's really a lot better to be able to sing the lines yourself, to get those ideas across. If you sound like a pro, all the better. But, just being able to carry a simple tune and sing different notes surely helps.

TomatoTom123
10-15-2016, 06:31 PM
Yes, I agree
I don't know enough about music to disagree, hehe!! :)

midnightman
10-15-2016, 07:49 PM
Yeah Robb is right. I should've said it more to the effect that Norman probably did carry a tune enough to let his artist know what he wanted. That's why he drove 'em crazy lol

Dennis, David & Marvin nearly came to blows with him because he drew them out of their comfort zone [[Marvin was THIS CLOSE to trying to pop him in the head lmao).

arr&bee
10-15-2016, 08:38 PM
Norman is responsible for my alltime favorite temps classic-[girl]why you wanna make me blue-1964].

ralpht
10-15-2016, 11:26 PM
Yeah Robb is right. I should've said it more to the effect that Norman probably did carry a tune enough to let his artist know what he wanted. That's why he drove 'em crazy lol

Dennis, David & Marvin nearly came to blows with him because he drew them out of their comfort zone [[Marvin was THIS CLOSE to trying to pop him in the head lmao).
You nailed it Midnight. He may have not been much of a singer, but he knew how to get the great harmonies out of the Temps. When Norman was producing Rare Earth, he and Pete Rivera would come close to blows when doing the vocals on "Losing You". But in the end Norman ALWAYS got what he was looking for.

StuBass1
10-16-2016, 02:24 AM
Having heard Norman talk...I really wouldn't have wanted t hear him sing...

theboyfromxtown
10-16-2016, 08:43 AM
I once asked Cal Street about the demos that the Velvelettes recorded. I asked if Norman sung his demos. She looked at me and said "NORMAN...SING!" and then just laughed.