PDA

View Full Version : Where Are You Presently?

test

jobucats
10-14-2016, 07:39 AM
I realize this is asked periodically, however, I am still interested in knowing where the members' present locations are. For example, are any of you living in [[or are from) my home state of NC?

I have lived in Atlanta for almost 20 years. If there are others in the area, I'd like to hear from you from time to time. jobucats@aol.com

Also, I see that some have stated that they have put other members on 'ignore.' Is this an actual option one can click on this forum, or by putting someone on 'ignore,' you just don't read his/her posts?

TomatoTom123
10-14-2016, 08:09 AM
I am from the UK and have never been to America, so yea... Hehe!

I believe that there is an actual option to put someone on ignore. If you click on a username, click 'view profile' and then click 'add to ignore list' you set them to be ignored! I think you can only do this from the desktop view of the forum. I don't use it myself and I'm not sure how it works exactly, but the option is there! :)

jobucats
10-14-2016, 08:21 AM
Thank you so much, TomatoTom123. Your instructions were perfect.

I've never been to the UK either. LOL

lockhartgary
10-14-2016, 08:46 AM
I have been living in Jackson, Tennessee [[USA) since July, 1997. Originally from New Jersey.

TomatoTom123
10-14-2016, 08:55 AM
Thank you so much, TomatoTom123. Your instructions were perfect.

I've never been to the UK either. LOL

No problem, jobucats! Who are you planning on ignoring...? Actually, Don't answer that!! Hehe, LOL!!

sansradio
10-14-2016, 09:03 AM
I'm a New Yorker by way of Savannah, GA.

robb_k
10-14-2016, 09:40 AM
Right now, I'm in The Netherlands. I'll leave in a few weeks to go to Los Angeles. In mid December, I'll go to Winnipeg. In late March, I'll return to The Netherlands. In early June I'll go to Denmark, and early July to Germany, and early September back to The Netherlands. Currently, I spend no more than 4 months in any one place.

waynesville
10-14-2016, 11:02 AM
I'm in London, England. Born and bred in the great City of Leicester

ralpht
10-14-2016, 12:03 PM
Robb, after reading your post, I need to sit down and rest.

GT03uk
10-14-2016, 12:27 PM
I'm in Liverpool, UK.

GT03uk
http://www.radionomy.com/en/radio/motown365/index

soulster
10-14-2016, 12:29 PM
I realize this is asked periodically, however, I am still interested in knowing where the members' present locations are. For example, are any of you living in [[or are from) my home state of NC?

I have lived in Atlanta for almost 20 years. If there are others in the area, I'd like to hear from you from time to time. jobucats@aol.com

Also, I see that some have stated that they have put other members on 'ignore.' Is this an actual option one can click on this forum, or by putting someone on 'ignore,' you just don't read his/her posts?

So, what is the real purpose of this thread? Is it to find out where members live, or how to put people on ignore?

I'm in Arizona, and I do have some people on ignore, but I can still read their post anyway if I want.

TomatoTom123
10-14-2016, 12:36 PM
So, what is the real purpose of this thread? Is it to find out where members live, or how to put people on ignore?

I'm in Arizona, and I do have some people on ignore, but I can still read their post anyway if I want.

Hehe, yea
How does the 'ignore' thing work then? If you have them on ignore but can still read their posts...?

TheMotownManiac
10-14-2016, 12:37 PM
I have returned to my hometown area, Carlinville, Illinois - a lovely, southern part of the state. As a kid, I couldn't wait to move to a big city and lived in Chicago, NY, Atlanta, LA and Albuquerque, but have decided I've had enough hustle and bustle and love it here. KATZ - The Sound Of Soul in St. Louis was manna to this boy by providing exposure to even the lesser known Motown acts.

144man
10-14-2016, 12:41 PM
If someone you don't have on ignore replies with a quote from someone you do have on ignore, you will be able to read that quote.

I'm from London as my posts on Brexit have made clear.

TomatoTom123
10-14-2016, 12:45 PM
If someone you don't have on ignore replies with a quote from someone you do have on ignore, you will be able to read that quote.

I'm from London as my posts on Brexit have made clear.

Oh, right, thank you 144man
I am from London too

floyjoy678
10-14-2016, 12:49 PM
Born and raised in Philly. Had enough of the blizzards during the winter and moved to Austin TX. I've had a love hate relationship with Philly ever since.

jobeterob
10-14-2016, 12:52 PM

You can't view the post if you are on a mobile device [[at least not mine). It's kind of a benefit.

soulster
10-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Hehe, yea
How does the 'ignore' thing work then? If you have them on ignore but can still read their posts...?

Then, why didn't you just make the thread about the ignore feature? No use trying to disguise something that you know Ralph and everyone else is going to see anyway.

soulster
10-14-2016, 01:28 PM

I'm from London as my posts on Brexit have made clear. It would be nice if Lowell would upgrade the forum and include a feature that shows where members are from. That would lessen some of the confusion here.

soulster
10-14-2016, 01:34 PM
Oh, right, thank you 144man
I am from London too

Some forums have the ability to totally wipe out all evidence of an ignored member. The old Sound Forge forum used to have that, and it was great. You didn't see anything from an ignored person. No hint of their existence whatsoever. No quotes, no informing that they ever posted. They don't even show up on the member's list. Sadly, no one uses that software anymore.

On the Sound Forge forum [[that no longer exists, BTW), there was a troll named "asswhole" who was nasty to everyone, and took it to the extreme. There was no moderation, so that ignore feature helped. I'm sure the guy was still there last because other members referenced him, but I wouldn't know it from him being ignored.:)

144man
10-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Then, why didn't you just make the thread about the ignore feature? No use trying to disguise something that you know Ralph and everyone else is going to see anyway.

This isn't TomTom's thread. He's replying to jobucats.

soulster
10-14-2016, 01:36 PM
This isn't TomTom's thread. He's replying to jobucats.
My bad. The way these threads go gets a bit confusing.

TomatoTom123
10-14-2016, 01:47 PM
Woah, I got real confused there - is this my thread?? LOL!!
Hehehehe!!
I also like being called TomTom, Lol

lockhartgary
10-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Born and raised in Philly. Had enough of the blizzards during the winter and moved to Austin TX. I've had a love hate relationship with Philly ever since.

Greetings from a boy raised in Camden, NJ.

lg_nilsson
10-14-2016, 01:55 PM
I still live in Stockholm, Sweden. I look into this site almost every day but was more active about ten years ago when, I think, things were more interesting. I was more interested in discussing Golden World, Revolit and Miracle or other rare Detroit labels. Or studios and producers around detroit instead of talking about when Diana Ross visited Hamburg or similar themes...

SupremeBoy
10-14-2016, 02:56 PM
Manhattan : New York, New York

woodward
10-14-2016, 03:30 PM
I still live in Stockholm, Sweden. I look into this site almost every day but was more active about ten years ago when, I think, things were more interesting. I was more interested in discussing Golden World, Revolit and Miracle or other rare Detroit labels. Or studios and producers around detroit instead of talking about when Diana Ross visited Hamburg or similar themes...

I reallly wish you were more active currently. Your web site in my opinion is really a great source of valuable information. Between your web site and www.dftmc.info I would be lost. I wish more attention would be given to Golden World - Ric Tic - Wingate - etc. I would really appreciate and enjoy seeing an article or story on how you accumulated all your valuable Motown items. I envy you very much.

I am originally from the greater Harrisburg, PA area but now residing in Rehoboth Beach, DE.

Roberta75
10-14-2016, 03:30 PM
Panorama City, California.

lakeside
10-14-2016, 04:13 PM
Panorama City, California.

Betty Kelley lives in Panorama City....if you see Betty, give her a big HI!

johnny_raven
10-14-2016, 04:51 PM
Belmont Shore [[a neighborhood of Long Beach), CA

ralpht
10-14-2016, 05:27 PM
Cool thread guys..............

Roberta75
10-14-2016, 05:33 PM
Betty Kelley lives in Panorama City....if you see Betty, give her a big HI!

I know she lives there but ive never seen her. I shop at the Food4Less on Tobias Avenue so i will keep looking for Miss Kelley.

sophisticated_soul
10-14-2016, 05:54 PM
San Diego, California. Born and raised.:)

TomatoTom123
10-14-2016, 06:03 PM
Cool thread guys..............

Hehe, yes
That other one went downhill quickly didn't it? I'm not even sure how it got that bad! Good decision to close it, Ralph :)

midnightman
10-14-2016, 06:06 PM
Hey @jobucats, I'm a fellow North Carolinian. Central NC native since birth! :)

midnightman
10-14-2016, 06:07 PM
Right now, I'm in The Netherlands. I'll leave in a few weeks to go to Los Angeles. In mid December, I'll go to Winnipeg. In late March, I'll return to The Netherlands. In early June I'll go to Denmark, and early July to Germany, and early September back to The Netherlands. Currently, I spend no more than 4 months in any one place.

Dude, do you fly on a private plane or something? WOW lmao

Bob
10-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan

TomatoTom123
10-14-2016, 07:31 PM

Hehe, LOL, good question!

soulwally
10-14-2016, 07:32 PM
Todmorden, on the Lancashire-Yorkshire border in the North of the UK.

jobucats
10-14-2016, 08:52 PM

soulster, I seriously apologize for putting 2 queries in my thread. I am always very hesitant to post on here due to the backlash one gets if one doesn't word things exactly correctly. My posts are never meant to be vicious, and I guess I was trying to get my two questions into thread. Please forgive me.

jobucats
10-14-2016, 08:55 PM
Hey @jobucats, I'm a fellow North Carolinian. Central NC native since birth! :)

Hey, midnightman, I grew up a little east of Raleigh [[between Raleigh and Rocky Mount) and moved to Atlanta about 20 years ago. Will be driving back to NC tomorrow [[Saturday) for my high school reunion.

midnightman
10-14-2016, 08:59 PM
^ Cool! :)

luke
10-14-2016, 09:33 PM
Born in Brooklyn. Years in NJ/Philly area and briefly Detroit when a little dude. Now Ct not far friom NYC . My brother has summer place in Rehoboth. Nice town!

mysterysinger
10-14-2016, 09:43 PM
I was born and raised down in Alabama, on a farm way back in the woods, I was so ragged folks called me Mystery Singer - actually that's a lie. Good old UK is where I am.

soulster
10-15-2016, 12:42 AM
soulster, I seriously apologize for putting 2 queries in my thread. I am always very hesitant to post on here due to the backlash one gets if one doesn't word things exactly correctly. My posts are never meant to be vicious, and I guess I was trying to get my two questions into thread. Please forgive me.

Oh, it's OK. On another forum I frequent, some posters will start a thread on one topic, then go down two or three posts and present the real reason they started it.

soulster
10-15-2016, 12:44 AM
I was born and raised down in Alabama, on a farm way back in the woods, I was so ragged folks called me Mystery Singer - actually that's a lie.

Patches! I knew it!!!

robb_k
10-15-2016, 04:06 AM
I agree 100%, Lars. There are almost no threads of which I am interested these days. That's why I don't need to use the ignore feature. I ignore most threads anyway. Almost all the threads in which I participate, have no trolling.

robb_k
10-15-2016, 04:52 AM
No! I'm not even remotely wealthy. I am careful with my money. I only fly across The Atlantic and back one time each, every year, and while in Europe, I travel mostly on coach buses and trains, which I book and pay for months ahead on super discount fares. For example, I buy bus tickets from Kopenhagen to Munich during € 9.00 sales, so it costs me only € 18.00 to go that long way. And Munich to Amsterdam costs only € 27.00. I sit and draw my stories on those trips [[same as if I were at home).

On my transatlantic airplane trips, I book them 9 months ahead AND book them with inconvenient logistics [[such as 3 stops using 3 different airlines), to keep the cost down as much as possible. So, I might fly from Schiphol to London Heathrow to Keflavik, Iceland, to Toronto and then to Los Angeles or Winnipeg. I usually have more than 24 hours [[sometimes as much as 40) extended trip time, with much time sitting in airports, but use that time to do my work. I'm always so excited to see my friends and family on the other end, that I stay awake, talking to them until THEIR late night time, and, thus, adjust to their time, immediately, with NO jet lag [[even at my old age).

So, my transatlantic cost is generally no more than € 800-900, round trip, and that's without risking my life by traveling on Aeroflot or Turkish Airlines, and not using Norwegian Air Shuttle, which has a lot of flights cancelled or very late arrivals. I fly mostly on reliable, quality airlines, such as Air Canada, New Zealandair, Air Iceland, SAS, British Airways, Swissair, and the like. I used to take only budget airlines, like Martinair Holland and City Bird Airlines, but they don't exist anymore, or no longer service my destinations.

Within North America I DO take a plane, but find the cheapest discount rate, and use 2 different airlines with at least one extra stop. So, flights for me there are often only a little over $100.00 US or $130.00 Canadian, and I only need one of those each year.

So, you see, I ain't no friggin' billionaire! I'm just a 70+ year old workin' stiff, like y'all. But, as I'm a free-lance artist, who can send my work to my editors in digital files attached to E-mails, I can work anywhere in The World, and talk to my editors on camera using Skype. So, I can work for months with work partners in various countries, and visit my siblings in their different countries for a few months each, every year, and still be able to work and earn a living. :cool:

The technological age provides a lot of freedom, eh?

luke
10-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Wow that's amazing. Good for you! Can you be my travel planner?

woodward
10-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Luke: Check for a private message I just sent to you. Thanks.

TomatoTom123
10-15-2016, 11:51 AM

Robb, may I ask why you travel around so much?
And where are you originally from? :)

robb_k
10-15-2016, 01:21 PM
Wow that's amazing. Good for you! Can you be my travel planner?
What I forgot to add was that I register with the travel services [[Like Cheap-O-Air, Fare Compare, and the like), as they offer deals from various airlines that are lower in cost than ANY that are advertised publicly. So, even though they charge a small service fee, the overall deal can often be better than one can get by jumping on an advertised deal directly from an airline [[which are usually very difficult to get, as they have only limited numbers of seats, which are usually gone within the first few minutes of the announcement of the fare).

No, I wouldn't want to be your travel planner, as i use up quite a few hours on researching deals for my own travel. But, I suggest you register with the top 5 or 6 booking services, and tell them the requirements of your future trips, and they will e-mail you with the non-publicly advertised special deals that they offer from airlines who work with them, and you can jump on the one you like, when it is offered .

The main reason I can travel so inexpensively is my flexibility. I am not tied to working in an office in a particular city. As I can work from anywhere, I can get low fares because I pay for them almost a year before I go, and I MUST use them on the scheduled day and time, and if I cancel my trip I lose ALL my money. That is also true for my bus tickets, and I lose a big chunk of train ticket fares if I cancel or change itinerary.

MOST people can't risk not needing to change their plans 9 months ahead. So, it's not worth getting a chance to pay only half of their normal cost, when they have a 33% chance of losing ALL they pay for it, and then, later, they risk having to pay double for their new itinerary flight cost, because they have to buy a ticket with only a very short time before they need to travel, and must choose from what little is available, at much higher prices [[being booked just before).

luke
10-15-2016, 01:43 PM
You should write a travel book! A few years ago my cousin and her best friend quit their jobs after saving money and went around the world for 6 months, a lot of it on a freighter. I recently looked into a ship that goes around world for $18,000 over two months!

robb_k
10-15-2016, 02:24 PM
Robb, may I ask why you travel around so much?
And where are you originally from? :)
Hi Tomato Tom,
You may ask me those questions [[and I'll even answer them beforehand) - but, I'll expect you to, in return, tell us why you call yourself "Tomato Tom". Are you hopelessly addicted to Italian food? Are you a food cart peddler in a 3rd World country? Did you once throw an overripe tomato at a teacher you didn't like? ;)

I am originally from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, but always spent summers in The Netherlands, from where both my parents' families had come [[I'm half Canadian and half Dutch). I moved to Chicago, USA at 14, and back to The Netherlands in 1972, when I started working on United Nations 3rd World development projects in Africa, The Middle East, and The Far East. I worked for them for about 20 years, living in the 3rd World country for 6-9 months, and in The Netherlands for the rest, other than some weeks in US and Canada. I've been working for Disney Comics publishers in The Netherlands since 1984, and also the Danish, Swedish and German franchises of Disney Comics since 1989. So, I must visit my editors in those countries, face-to-face, for some time each year, to have a better relationship. While I'm in other countries I send my drawings in scans as e-mail attachments, and we correspond through e-mail messages. If we need to talk directly, and point to artwork, we use Skype video [[programme like a video telephone). But, it's better to have personal face-to-face contact for a few months each year, and to be a "known character" by all the office staff, and attend a few company social functions, etc. No personal contact for years would undoubtedly have the free-lance artist dropped, because of not having any friends "on the inside".

I travel to Munich, Germany to work for 2-4 months per year in my business partner's animation studio. We both work for Danish and German Disney Comics publishers, but also on children's books, animation projects, and our own future comic strip. I have a flat [[apartment) there rent-free provided by the company. I keep my things there, including 2 bicycles, clothing and even some records. It is my 2nd home. We did the animation for the penguin character, who introduced the different events in The 1992 Winter Olympics, for the German TV broadcast.

I also stay in Denmark for 1-2 months per year to work with the Danish Disney office [[Kopenhagen), and the Swedish, across the narrow strait in Malmö, Sweden. I stay there with friends in Malmö, western Jylland [[Denmark), but mostly in the guesthouse of my main work partner there, in a small town on the north end of Sjaelland [[the island where Kopenhagen lies). I keep my things there, too [[bicycles, clothing, records, etc. It's also like another home to me. My sister, who now lives in Los Angeles, is married to a Dane. They spend lots of the summer in Denmark, and I visit them there. They will relocate full-time there soon, and I won't need to go to USA anymore. Normally, I visit them for a couple months in the late fall/winter. My father died last year. So, we are fixing up my parents' house to rent it out. We will keep it even after my sister moves back to Denmark, as it is near the ocean, and so its land values only goes up exponentially. We'll have someone manage it. So, soon, I'll have to remove my records stored there, and bring them to The Netherlands and, maybe put some in Munich, as well.

I visit my other sister in Winnipeg also in late fall or winter. I have bicycles, clothing and records at both their houses.

I'm over 70 years old, and have NEVER spent all year long on one continent. And I have always had more than one residence, and had belongings stored in at least 2 countries [[often 3 or 4). So, I am used to traveling, and being at home in 2 to 4 or 5 different places. Often, I awaken in the morning and am surprised to find out that I am in one country, rather than another. ;)

daviddh
10-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Hello from Baltimore MD.love motown

TomatoTom123
10-15-2016, 03:11 PM
Hi TomatoTom,
You may ask me those questions [[and I'll even answer them beforehand) - but, I'll expect you to, in return, tell us why you call yourself "Tomato Tom". Are you hopelessly addicted to Italian food? Are you a food cart peddler in a 3rd World country? Did you once throw an overripe tomato at a teacher you didn't like? ;)

I am originally from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, but always spent summers in The Netherlands, from where both my parents' families had come [[I'm half Canadian and half Dutch). I moved to Chicago, USA at 14, and back to The Netherlands in 1972, when I started working on United Nations 3rd World development projects in Africa, The Middle East, and The Far East. I worked for them for about 20 years, living in the 3rd World country for 6-9 months, and in The Netherlands for the rest, other than some weeks in US and Canada. I've been working for Disney Comics publishers in The Netherlands since 1984, and also the Danish, Swedish and German franchises of Disney Comics since 1989. So, I must visit my editors in those countries, face-to-face, for some time each year, to have a better relationship. While I'm in other countries I send my drawings in scans as e-mail attachments, and we correspond through e-mail messages. If we need to talk directly, and point to artwork, we use Skype video [[programme like a video telephone). But, it's better to have personal face-to-face contact for a few months each year, and to be a "known character" by all the office staff, and attend a few company social functions, etc. No personal contact for years would undoubtedly have the free-lance artist dropped, because of not having any friends "on the inside".

I travel to Munich, Germany to work for 2-4 months per year in my business partner's animation studio. We both work for Danish and German Disney Comics publishers, but also on children's books, animation projects, and our own future comic strip. I have a flat [[apartment) there rent-free provided by the company. I keep my things there, including 2 bicycles, clothing and even some records. It is my 2nd home. We did the animation for the penguin character, who introduced the different events in The 1992 Winter Olympics, for the German TV broadcast.

I also stay in Denmark for 1-2 months per year to work with the Danish Disney office [[Kopenhagen), and the Swedish, across the narrow strait in Malmö, Sweden. I stay there with friends in Malmö, western Jylland [[Denmark), but mostly in the guesthouse of my main work partner there, in a small town on the north end of Sjaelland [[the island where Kopenhagen lies). I keep my things there, too [[bicycles, clothing, records, etc. It's also like another home to me. My sister, who now lives in Los Angeles, is married to a Dane. They spend lots of the summer in Denmark, and I visit them there. They will relocate full-time there soon, and I won't need to go to USA anymore. Normally, I visit them for a couple months in the late fall/winter. My father died last year. So, we are fixing up my parents' house to rent it out. We will keep it even after my sister moves back to Denmark, as it is near the ocean, and so its land values only goes up exponentially. We'll have someone manage it. So, soon, I'll have to remove my records stored there, and bring them to The Netherlands and, maybe put some in Munich, as well.

I visit my other sister in Winnipeg also in late fall or winter. I have bicycles, clothing and records at both their houses.

I'm over 70 years old, and have NEVER spent all year long on one continent. And I have always had more than one residence, and had belongings stored in at least 2 countries [[often 3 or 4). So, I am used to traveling, and being at home in 2 to 4 or 5 different places. Often, I awaken in the morning and am surprised to find out that I am in one country, rather than another. ;)

Wow, thank you, Robb! You couldn't have answered my question any better. You lead a fascinating life! I'm sorry to hear about your father though.

And as for "TomatoTom", hehehe, well... My name is Tom and I like tomatoes... so, yea, hehe! I've never thought about it before but Italian is my favourite food, so it's even more appropriate than I first realised! I am not a third-world food cart peddler though, nor have I ever thrown a tomato at a teacher, LOL - I'm sorry to say it's far more boring than that, hehe!!

robb_k
10-15-2016, 03:27 PM
Wow, thank you, Robb! You couldn't have answered my question any better. You lead a fascinating life! I'm sorry to hear about your father though.

And as for "TomatoTom", hehehe, well... My name is Tom and I like tomatoes... so, yea, hehe! I've never thought about it before but Italian is my favourite food, so it's even more appropriate than I first realised! I am not a third-world food cart peddler though, nor have I ever thrown a tomato at a teacher, LOL - I'm sorry to say it's far more boring than that, hehe!!
Thanks, Tom.
Are you a Brit? I can see, by your spelling, that you are a fellow Commonwealther.

My father was 94 years old, and never sick a day in his life. He stopped working, and six months later, he went to sleep, and didn't wake up. He was still playing golf 3 days a week and had his full wits. His memory was probably better than mine, and he was still taking care of himself, driving a car, and running a busines. He had no pain. So, no need to feel sorry. I had still my father when I was 70, and both parents when 66. So, no complaints here.

I'm a big tomato fan, myself. I eat soup every day, almost always with a tomato base. I eat a salad every day which includes fresh tomatoes. I should have asked Albert King, when i met him, why his record label was "Tomato Records". ;)

TomatoTom123
10-15-2016, 03:37 PM
Thanks, Tom.
Are you a Brit? I can see, by your spelling, that you are a fellow Commonwealther.

My father was 94 years old, and never sick a day in his life. He stopped working, and six months later, he went to sleep, and didn't wake up. He was still playing golf 3 days a week and had his full wits. His memory was probably better than mine, and he was still taking care of himself, driving a car, and running a business. He had no pain. So, no need to feel sorry. I had still my father when I was 70, and both parents when 66. So, no complaints here.

I'm a big tomato fan, myself. I eat soup every day, almost always with a tomato base. I eat a salad every day which includes fresh tomatoes. I should have asked Albert King, when i met him, why his record label was "Tomato Records". ;)

No problem, Robb
Yes, I am British! I am from England, London more specifically. I had to re-read through my post to find evidence of my British spelling. Of course, it had to be "favourite"!!

And I'm so glad to hear that about your father. Oh yes, I am also a fan of salad - feta cheese is my favourite, hehe!

robb_k
10-15-2016, 04:09 PM
No problem, Robb
Yes, I am British! I am from England, London more specifically. I had to re-read through my post to find evidence of my British spelling. Of course, it had to be "favourite"!!

And I'm so glad to hear that about your father. Oh yes, I am also a fan of salad - feta cheese is my favourite, hehe!
"realised" also gave you away.

I used to import Northern Soul and US and Canadian Motown records into The UK during the 1980s and '90s. I used to spend most of my time there in Lancashire [[Greater Manchester- Eccles, Salford, Oldham, Stockport), but I also spent time in Greater London [[Clapham Common, Camden Town, Chelsea, Kentish Town, Shepherd's Bush).

I had uncles, aunts and cousins in The East End[[Shadow of St. Pauls) and Golder's Green, since the 1880s. But, most of them now live in Essex. One was an MP. One of my great uncles used to tell us about Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee Parade, which he witnessed at the age of 4 in the 1890s.

luke
10-15-2016, 04:09 PM
My father lived to 100. Never went to doctors. Never worked out. Ate meat all the time and smoked a pack of marlboros a day til two days before he died. He loved life and always saw the good!

robb_k
10-15-2016, 04:14 PM
My father lived to 100. Never went to doctors. Never worked out. Ate meat all the time and smoked a pack of marlboros a day til two days before he died. He loved life and always saw the good!
Good for him!

luke
10-15-2016, 04:17 PM
Thanks! Great guy. Never gave up. Said "aging is a privilege denied many!"

TomatoTom123
10-15-2016, 04:22 PM

I used to import Northern Soul and US and Canadian Motown records into The UK during the 1980s and '90s. I used to spend most of my time there in Lancashire [[Greater Manchester- Eccles, Salford, Oldham, Stockport), but I also spent time in Greater London [[Clapham Common, Camden Town, Chelsea, Kentish Town, Shepherd's Bush).

I had uncles, aunts and cousins in The East End and Golder's Green since the 1880s. But, most of them now live in Essex. One was an MP. One of my great uncles used to tell us about Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee Parade. which he witnessed at the age of 4 in the 1890s.

Oh wow - I didn't even see "realised"
Hehe!

And that's very Interesting [[Queen Victoria's Jubliee, wow!), thank you Robb.

I am from Greater London [[a place called Bromley). My mum's family are from Essex as well.

robb_k
10-15-2016, 04:45 PM
Oh wow - I didn't even see "realised"
Hehe!

And that's very Interesting [[Queen Victoria's Jubliee, wow!), thank you Robb.

I am from Greater London [[a place called Bromley). My mum's family are from Essex as well.
I've been to Bromley a few times. My main hangout in GLA was on Oxford Street at HMV. In the '60s and '70s, one could find just about anything there, and could listen all day long in the sound booths.

Here are a few examples of my Disney work:

arr&bee
10-15-2016, 04:51 PM
Hey robb,that guy looks like my jr.high principle.

TomatoTom123
10-15-2016, 05:01 PM
Woww!! Impressive!
I can't draw to save my life, LOL!

marv2
10-15-2016, 07:51 PM

God Bless him! Now that's what I'm talking about Luke!

luke
10-15-2016, 08:34 PM
Amen! Thanks Marv

midnightman
10-15-2016, 10:18 PM
No! I'm not even remotely wealthy. I am careful with my money. I only fly across The Atlantic and back one time each, every year, and while in Europe, I travel mostly on coach buses and trains, which I book and pay for months ahead on super discount fares. For example, I buy bus tickets from Kopenhagen to Munich during € 9.00 sales, so it costs me only € 18.00 to go that long way. And Munich to Amsterdam costs only € 27.00. I sit and draw my stories on those trips [[same as if I were at home).

On my transatlantic airplane trips, I book them 9 months ahead AND book them with inconvenient logistics [[such as 3 stops using 3 different airlines), to keep the cost down as much as possible. So, I might fly from Schiphol to London Heathrow to Keflavik, Iceland, to Toronto and then to Los Angeles or Winnipeg. I usually have more than 24 hours [[sometimes as much as 40) extended trip time, with much time sitting in airports, but use that time to do my work. I'm always so excited to see my friends and family on the other end, that I stay awake, talking to them until THEIR late night time, and, thus, adjust to their time, immediately, with NO jet lag [[even at my old age).

So, my transatlantic cost is generally no more than € 800-900, round trip, and that's without risking my life by traveling on Aeroflot or Turkish Airlines, and not using Norwegian Air Shuttle, which has a lot of flights cancelled or very late arrivals. I fly mostly on reliable, quality airlines, such as Air Canada, New Zealandair, Air Iceland, SAS, British Airways, Swissair, and the like. I used to take only budget airlines, like Martinair Holland and City Bird Airlines, but they don't exist anymore, or no longer service my destinations.

Within North America I DO take a plane, but find the cheapest discount rate, and use 2 different airlines with at least one extra stop. So, flights for me there are often only a little over $100.00 US or $130.00 Canadian, and I only need one of those each year.

So, you see, I ain't no friggin' billionaire! I'm just a 70+ year old workin' stiff, like y'all. But, as I'm a free-lance artist, who can send my work to my editors in digital files attached to E-mails, I can work anywhere in The World, and talk to my editors on camera using Skype. So, I can work for months with work partners in various countries, and visit my siblings in their different countries for a few months each, every year, and still be able to work and earn a living. :cool:

The technological age provides a lot of freedom, eh?

WOW! That's even cooler, Robb. :cool:

masterblaster
10-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Bolton in the North West of England. I live about 5 miles from Wigan which is where the Northern Soul scene originated and probably where my love of Motown began. Remember hearing records in the clubs years before they became hits in the UK.

phil
10-16-2016, 12:54 PM
I'm living in a tiny little village [[pop.400) lost in the woods, in the southwest of France. 50 miles from Bordeaux, between wine and mushrooms ! :D

marv2
10-16-2016, 01:33 PM
Great drawings Robb!

robb_k
10-16-2016, 02:01 PM
Great drawings Robb!
Thanks Marv.

snakepit
10-16-2016, 02:22 PM
Bolton in the North West of England. I live about 5 miles from Wigan which is where the Northern Soul scene originated and probably where my love of Motown began. Remember hearing records in the clubs years before they became hits in the UK.

I think you might get a few arguments about that !!

robb_k
10-16-2016, 02:57 PM
I think you might get a few arguments about that !!
Yes, Larry. Weren't you guys at The Twisted Wheel in Manchester, long before Wigan started up?

snakepit
10-16-2016, 03:10 PM
Hi Robb
The Wheel [[ and many other clubs around the UK) were playing 'rare' soul in the mid 60s....The term Northern Soul , I believe, originated after Dave Godin's visit to the Wheel in 1970, and documented in the 'bible' Blues And Soul magazine. [[ although others who worked with Godin have claimed to have coined the term first).
Personally , I only made the last year of the Wheel before it closed, but at 15/16 years of age I was very lucky to have got down there at all.
Thanks [[ or should that be no thanks!) to Godin's piece, clubs from 1971 started running "Northern Soul " nights.....and main players were The Golden Torch, Catacombs, Broken Wheel, Samanthas...lots of venues.
Serendipity in Wigan Casino's case....1973 , it became the go to place [[ certainly in terms of publicity etc)

snakepit
10-16-2016, 03:20 PM
Re Wigan

One version I heard was that the BIG venue in the North West pre Wigan was Va-Vas's in Bolton.
They ran all nighters, and the local Authorities stopped the nights, but the promoters could not get notice out to punters who were due to travel from far and wide .....so they arranged an emergency Wigan Casino for one week-end to temporarily replace Va Va's.....the rest was history [[ Don't know how true that is but I've heard that version)

robb_k
10-17-2016, 04:48 AM
I'm living in a tiny little village [[pop.400) lost in the woods, in the southwest of France. 50 miles from Bordeaux, between wine and mushrooms ! :D
Sounds like a great place. I used to live in a village of 300 people and 1,000 sheep in northwestern Holland.

Are you French, or an expatriot from somewhere else?

mysterysinger
10-17-2016, 04:59 AM
Amazing drawings Robb. If I eat more tomato soup will I be as artistic as you? Just lurve my French onion sooup though.

phil
10-17-2016, 05:43 AM
Sounds like a great place. I used to live in a village of 300 people and 1,000 sheep in northwestern Holland.

Are you French, or an expatriot from somewhere else?

I am French and I feel blessed to live where I am, to me it's paradise.

We have a French proverb "Pour vivre heureux vivons cachés" [[to live happily, we have to hide away) and I'm fine with that !

motown_marc
10-17-2016, 06:54 AM
The Hague, the Netherlands. Haven't seen Robb around though, since he's all over the globe.

I try to visit the US once a year for my work and since Detroit is a hub, it's always nice to be able to stay a couple of days there to further explore everything Motown-related.

robb_k
10-17-2016, 07:08 PM
You live in Den Haag, eh? I lived there for over 20 years [[in Atjehstraat, in Archipelbuurt - near Westbroek Park and Madurodam). I have a friend in Leidschendam, with whom I stay for a weekend now and then. Maybe we can meet up next time I visit there [[maybe April, or so).

Robb

JohnnyRavenATL
10-18-2016, 10:58 PM
Jobucats,
What a coincidence. Your life mirrors mine so strongly. I've been here in Atlanta for 16 years, but I'm a native North Carolinian...born there, raised there, graduated college there.

144man
10-19-2016, 06:53 AM

Oxford University now gives "-ize" as its preferred spelling over "-ise" for suffxes of verbs, so I suppose British usage is in the process of changing.

motown_marc
10-19-2016, 08:10 AM
You live in Den Haag, eh? I lived there for over 20 years [[in Atjehstraat, in Archipelbuurt - near Westbroek Park and Madurodam). I have a friend in Leidschendam, with whom I stay for a weekend now and then. Maybe we can meet up next time I visit there [[maybe April, or so).

Robb

Goed idee Rob! Laat maar weten als je in het land bent. I work around the Central Station area, close to the Archipelbuurt you are referring to. And did you know that more and more vinyl-shops are popping up in the city centre here? And great drawings by the way; ever designed an album sleeve?

TomatoTom123
10-19-2016, 08:37 AM
Oxford University now gives "-ize" as its preferred spelling over "-ise" for suffxes of verbs, so I suppose British usage is in the process of changing.

WHAT!!? I refuse to accept that.

Lol

thommg
10-19-2016, 01:30 PM
Quite a lot of interesting lives being lived out there! The music really has brought the world closer together!

I am originally from College Park, Maryland, USA and I now live in New York City, NY, specifically, the Heights by the GW Bridge. Sending a shout out to my fellow Marylander in Baltimore, who posted earlier in this thread!

robb_k
10-20-2016, 05:05 AM
Goed idee Rob! Laat maar weten als je in het land bent. I work around the Central Station area, close to the Archipelbuurt you are referring to. And did you know that more and more vinyl-shops are popping up in the city centre here? And great drawings by the way; ever designed an album sleeve?
Nee! Helaas, dat heb ik niet gedaan! But, I DID have some input into our LP cover on our Natural Resources "From The Vaults" series covers, pushing the idea that we should make fake 45 record labels for how they would have looked as a released issue on the proper label for each given group or artist. But they changed the label design for a few of them, just to show the first Motown [[pink with stripes) and Tamla [[with stripes), which wee wrong chronologically. We would have been able to show those original designs properly, chronologically, if the bosses hadn't scrapped the priject, and had approved the release of all 10 LPs, which included several older cuts, such as "Angel" by The Satintones, and "The Feeling Is So Fine" by The Miracles, At Airwave Records, we had no LPs released. We did have a 12-inch EP, but it was released only in a plain white thick jacket. We didn't have the money to risk blowing it on a record we didn't know would sell in big numbers.

Now that I look back on it, I would have loved to draw something up, and see if it might have brought some attention to our releases.

jobucats
10-20-2016, 06:26 AM
Jobucats,
What a coincidence. Your life mirrors mine so strongly. I've been here in Atlanta for 16 years, but I'm a native North Carolinian...born there, raised there, graduated college there.

JohnnyRavenATL, It's interesting that there is another North Carolinian/Atlantan living in Atlanta. I am sure there are others. Being from a rural area in eastern NC, I wanted to experience living in a city so I moved here in 1997 and actually live in downtown Atlanta. Life has been good here; I retired from teaching public school 2 years ago, and spend my time on music [[piano, recording, church).

luke
10-20-2016, 08:17 AM
Thommg..one of my closest friends lives in you area,,,very nice area. Like a mini NYC without the hassle!

thommg
10-20-2016, 12:19 PM
Thommg..one of my closest friends lives in you area,,,very nice area. Like a mini NYC without the hassle!

It's nice in the Heights. As you say, a city feel without most of the hassles.

JohnnyRavenATL
10-20-2016, 01:32 PM
JohnnyRavenATL, It's interesting that there is another North Carolinian/Atlantan living in Atlanta. I am sure there are others. Being from a rural area in eastern NC, I wanted to experience living in a city so I moved here in 1997 and actually live in downtown Atlanta. Life has been good here; I retired from teaching public school 2 years ago, and spend my time on music [[piano, recording, church).

Jobucats,
I graduated from NC A&T in 2000, left Greensboro that fall and have never looked back! :)

DWSheffer
10-29-2016, 12:49 PM
I'm a relatively new member to the forum, although I had been a lurker for years. I am a lifelong resident of Hillsdale, Michigan, about an hour and a half from Hitsville, USA. I found my parent's records when I was around 10 years old, starting my love of the music of the 50's and 60's. Motown was always my favorite though, and a visit to the Motown Museum a few years ago exploded my interest in the music that came out of the house on West Grand Blvd. I turned 40 this year, and have what I consider a pretty sizable Motown record and memorabilia collection, especially for someone of my age. I am also lucky that I am close enough to Detroit and the Ann Arbor area record dealers that I have been able to acquire some special items over the years, some from former employees of Motown.
Darin

StuBass1
10-29-2016, 03:37 PM
Witness Protection Program...

danman869
10-29-2016, 05:24 PM
Originally from New Jersey, I've lived in Long Beach, CA for the last nearly 20 years. Long Beach is in the greater Los Angeles area. Anyone headed this way should drop me a line!