Lionel
Supremes
Diana
Temptations
Marvin

Other thoughts?

Kamasu_Jr
01-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Didn't we discuss this before in a thread presented by Jobeterob? At the rate Hip O is reissuing Smokey Robinson's solo albums, he must factor in there somewhere./p>

thelastsupreme
01-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Boys2Men
Rick James

I'm guessing too, but I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

captainjames
01-08-2011, 10:54 PM
I am not sure but I am guessing The Jackson 5 have got to be in there somewhere.

luke
01-08-2011, 10:56 PM
I knew I forgot somebody big!

jobeterob
01-09-2011, 03:02 AM
For singles............Endless Love, I'll Make Love To You, The End of the Road, Grapevine by Marvin, Where Did Our Love Go maybe, I Just Called To Say I Love You, Upside Down.

Pretty hard to say.

nomis
01-09-2011, 10:37 AM
..the biggest selling Motown singles were Marvins Grapevine which was topped by Three Times A Lady which was then topped by Endless Love..dont know if anything beat that in the 80s then Boyz 2 Men came along and took the mantel..

rovereab
01-09-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure what the basis of biggest is within this thread but I'd love to know the top 10 selling Motown songs on a global basis.

Eamonn

jillfoster
01-09-2011, 12:21 PM
I had read somewhere that for a long time, the Jackson 5's "I'll Be There" was Motown biggest selling single.... throughout all of the 70's.

midnightman
01-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Didn't we discuss this before in a thread presented by Jobeterob? At the rate Hip O is reissuing Smokey Robinson's solo albums, he must factor in there somewhere./p>

No he doesn't. Smokey's solo albums barely charted as well as they did save for probably Quiet Storm. He had some hit singles but his career after the Miracles was a fluke to me so I don't know how he would "factor in there".

midnightman
01-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Boys2Men
Rick James

I'm guessing too, but I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Yep they're among the list of biggest sellers in Motown too. And as captainjames pointed out, so did the Jackson 5.

midnightman
01-09-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure what the basis of biggest is within this thread but I'd love to know the top 10 selling Motown songs on a global basis.

Eamonn

I Heard It Through the Grapevine [[Marvin's version)
I'll Be There
Ben
All Night Long [[All Night)
End of the Road
I'll Make Love to You
Endless Love
Let's Get It On
Upside Down
Love Child [[I think)

jobeterob
01-09-2011, 01:42 PM
I Just Called to Say I Love You would have to be in there because it was #1 everywhere all over the world.

I also think Stoned Love might be in there; it didn't chart all that highly but it's sales were very strong, at least in the USA.

Chart numbers can be suspect because I know there are stories around from Motown's Sales Manager at the time saying that while TCB got the higher chart numbers, Diana Ross & the Supremes Join the Temptations got the bigger sales numbers.

There is a book around showing the best selling albums of the 60's and the only Motown album in it was TCB.

nomis
01-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Theres no way Stoned Love sold anywhere near the category of Someday Well Be Together or I'll Be There..it was just a moderate hit compared to the heavy weights ...