PDA

View Full Version : Supremes - You Are The Heart Of Me

test

mysterysinger
10-13-2016, 10:30 AM
I feel sure this must have been posted before, but it's the first time I've seen [[or heard it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6auhXcd3_f4

marv2
10-13-2016, 11:22 AM
My favorite Supremes song. Thank you.

mysterysinger
10-13-2016, 01:00 PM
More than welcome.

Bluebrock
10-13-2016, 01:29 PM
More than welcome.
Mary never sounded better than she did on this beautiful song
My favourite song from the MSS era.

mysterysinger
10-13-2016, 01:54 PM
She does sound good!

marv2
10-13-2016, 06:06 PM
It's so ironic that their last song, was my favorite of all.

GT03uk
10-13-2016, 06:26 PM
Great song and you can understand the words, unlike some of the songs today.

GT03uk
http://www.radionomy.com/en/radio/motown365/index

marv2
10-13-2016, 06:30 PM
This was my favorite performance of the song. Their last television appearance in America before Mary went solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in1m0hJNKok

captainjames
10-13-2016, 06:34 PM
Not one of my favorites - Motown should have let Scherrie and Susaye utilize their writing talents further with the group. The song just laid there with nothing to grab on to or make you want to hear it again.

marv2
10-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Not one of my favorites - Motown should have let Scherrie and Susaye utilize their writing talents further with the group. The song just laid there with nothing to grab on to or make you want to hear it again.

It is a beautiful love song sung by a beautiful woman. That gets me every time! It was the most played cut from that album ..........at my house!

marv2
10-13-2016, 06:43 PM
Also a bit ironic that the last song of the Supremes, "You Are the Heart of Me" had a similar title to one of their earliest songs, "Your Heart Belongs to Me".

luke
10-13-2016, 07:24 PM
Mary is simply stunning here. They should've shown Scherrie and Susayes faces though

marv2
10-13-2016, 08:26 PM
Mary is simply stunning here. They should've shown Scherrie and Susayes faces though

I think that was just a staging decision The Mike Douglas Show made. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwivWKsL65c&t=0s

captainjames
10-13-2016, 09:23 PM
This was a waste of time, the song just didn't sell.

marv2
10-13-2016, 09:48 PM

Well they didn't sleep with the boss................Oh well. I love this song.

captainjames
10-13-2016, 10:01 PM
I remember seeing them in Detroit with my cousin at the time. I have said it many times that something just didn't fit with the group. Scherrie was just so pretty and Susaye was multi-talented but, there was just something not right.

Bluebrock
10-14-2016, 04:21 AM
Well they didn't sleep with the boss................Oh well. I love this song.
I could say something here about sleeping around with married men but I shall refrain. People in glass houses...........

Bluebrock
10-14-2016, 04:24 AM
I remember seeing them in Detroit with my cousin at the time. I have said it many times that something just didn't fit with the group. Scherrie was just so pretty and Susaye was multi-talented but, there was just something not right.
Agreed. I loved the music they made together but visually it did not look right. They were three individuals rather than a group, but credit where credit is due. Mary killed this song.

floyjoy678
10-14-2016, 09:58 AM
As much as I love Mary I lost some respect for her during this time with the Supremes. She was doing the same exact stunts that she complained Diana pulled. On this Mike Douglas appearance during the interview segment he mentions he heard a rumor about Mary going solo and it's quite cringeworthy especially with Scherrie and Susaye standing right there!

marv2
10-14-2016, 10:10 AM
As much as I love Mary I lost some respect for her during this time with the Supremes. She was doing the same exact stunts that she complained Diana pulled. On this Mike Douglas appearance during the interview segment he mentions he heard a rumor about Mary going solo and it's quite cringeworthy especially with Scherrie and Susaye standing right there!
They knew about it because we all knew about it. We knew that they were going to appear on the program before it aired. Mary and Cindy had to read it in the papers first that Diana Ross was going solo.

In regards to the staging for that last appearance. That was all the Mike Douglas' shows idea. Mary had been appearing on his show for years starting with the Original Supremes.

captainjames
10-14-2016, 11:34 AM
So true
With Diana even Flo knew that Diana was being groomed for solo. Go Figure !!!

Thornton
10-14-2016, 01:04 PM
Thanks for posting this, mysterysinger. I think the 1977 Soul Train performance is a prime example of the group's potential. The choreography is cohesive, and each woman has her chance to shine. It would have been interesting if they had sung live to a backing track like JML did in '73.

luke
10-14-2016, 01:10 PM
What did Mary say about the going solo "rumor"?

marv2
10-14-2016, 01:20 PM
What did Mary say about the going solo "rumor"?

She said [[on the Mike Douglas Show March, 1977) that she was recording a solo album and just learned that Marvin Gaye would be producing. As far as permanently going solo, she said let's just see what God had in store for her. Meaning that he had been discussed but nothing had been formalized at that point.

Now everyone else can throw in whatever they want. I am just telling you the facts as I remember them from back in the day.

luke
10-14-2016, 01:39 PM
Thanks. Did Scherrie and Susaye react? I wondered if Mary initially considered doing the solo project and staying in the group?

marv2
10-14-2016, 01:53 PM
Thanks. Did Scherrie and Susaye react? I wondered if Mary initially considered doing the solo project and staying in the group?

They smiled and Susaye commented "We all have aspirations for solo careers....etc." She went on to say that it was inevitable.

luke
10-14-2016, 01:55 PM
Can't you just hear a duet with Mary and Marvin doing Sexual Healing?? ...hot stuff!!

captainjames
10-14-2016, 02:17 PM
Naw Marvin did good by himself.

Can't you just hear a duet with Mary and Marvin doing Sexual Healing?? ...hot stuff!!

captainjames
10-14-2016, 02:18 PM
Here is the interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANxeTZCxJFQ

Roberta75
10-14-2016, 02:26 PM

Oh goodness no. That song was not a duet materail.

luke
10-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Thx for interview. They both have such sexy voices!

marv2
10-14-2016, 05:13 PM

I think they may have........in private LOL! No, no not going to start any rumors but in "Divided Soul" the biography of Marvin Gaye by David Ritz he shares that Mary did go to visit Marvin while he was living in Belgium. One night as they lie on I think a bearskin rug he played the unfinished track of "Sexual Healing" for her. She told him that it was a for sure hit. I would have loved to have heard a duet between Mary Wilson and Marvin Gaye.

marv2
10-14-2016, 05:15 PM
Here is the interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANxeTZCxJFQ

Great, thanks. It was getting hard to remember what was exactly said 39 years ago.

captainjames
10-14-2016, 09:27 PM
Ok so I have to ask,,,,,,,,,,,,,Did Marvin Gaye ever produce anything for Mary ?

luke
10-14-2016, 10:19 PM
As far as I know no,though he had wanted to. I think Marvin was struggling a lot at this time in his life.

imakicola
10-14-2016, 11:34 PM
The supremes version of this song was way better than the original !

marv2
10-14-2016, 11:58 PM
As far as I know no,though he had wanted to. I think Marvin was struggling a lot at this time in his life.

That's correct. He was also trying finish up his own album "Live At the Palladium" which gave us [[and Pharrell and Robin Thicke LOL!) "I Got to Give It Up".

Bluebrock
10-15-2016, 03:10 AM
Ok so I have to ask,,,,,,,,,,,,,Did Marvin Gaye ever produce anything for Mary ?
A big fat resounding NO!!!

Roberta75
10-15-2016, 01:26 PM
A big fat resounding NO!!!

Mary has a tendency to embelish things. Harmless but truth stretched just the same.

captainjames
10-15-2016, 07:54 PM
No one in Marvin's camp knew of this is why I was curious.

marv2
10-15-2016, 07:56 PM
Fortunately, many people are discovering this great song for the first time thanks to Youtube. Thank God!

captainjames
10-16-2016, 06:49 PM
I agree harmless but, I always have to wonder .......Whats the point ?

Mary has a tendency to embelish things. Harmless but truth stretched just the same.

jobeterob
10-16-2016, 07:14 PM
Everybody that was part of something worthy generally wants to play up their role, especially when they were a smaller, less known part - this is why you generally don't have Berry Diana Smokey and Stevie playing up their part. Lots of times, the lesser players have to play up those bits and ask for remuneration for their memories because - well, you've all heard the stories. Sad but true.

marv2
10-16-2016, 07:17 PM
Everybody that was part of something worthy generally wants to play up their role, especially when they were a smaller, less known part - this is why you generally don't have Berry Diana Smokey and Stevie playing up their part. Lots of times, the lesser players have to play up those bits and ask for remuneration for their memories because - well, you've all heard the stories. Sad but true.

Huh?????????????????????????

marv2
10-16-2016, 08:13 PM

No one in Marvin's "camp" may not have been aware of it, but he sure was! He was one of Pedro Ferrer's buddies and it was he that approached Marvin with the idea. They hung out a lot in those days. Really it is very old news and I am not getting paid to keep correcting you. LOL!

thommg
10-16-2016, 08:22 PM
Every artist has projects that are announced and never materialize. Old entertainment magazines are full of these projects. Some get scrapped in the planning stages and some are place holders so the artist has something to talk about while making publicity appearances. I would have loved to hear what Marvin might have done with Mary. It's too bad the project never happened.

marv2
10-16-2016, 08:30 PM
Every artist has projects that are announced and never materialize. Old entertainment magazines are full of these projects. Some get scrapped in the planning stages and some are place holders so the artist has something to talk about while making publicity appearances. I would have loved to hear what Marvin might have done with Mary. It's too bad the project never happened.

You are right thommg. Marvin producing Mary was actually carried by entertainment magazines. As I remember now, 1977-78 was the time Mary was involved in litigation with Motown. She also went on tour in Europe with Karen Jackson and Kaaren Ragland. A lot was going on at that time as I recall now.

midnightman
10-16-2016, 09:34 PM
This was their last charted Billboard single, right?

TomatoTom123
10-16-2016, 09:45 PM
This was their last charted Billboard single, right?

Ya, as the B-Side to "Let Yourself Go". Made #83 on the US R&B Charts.

marv2
10-16-2016, 09:51 PM
Ya, as the B-Side to "Let Yourself Go". Made #83 on the US R&B Charts.

Yes that's right. If Motown had promoted this song just a little, it would have no doubt seen some real chart action. Several months the Emotions and Columbia beat them to the punch with "Don't Ask My Neighbor" Another great song,but to me cannot compare to this one by the Supremes.

TomatoTom123
10-16-2016, 10:00 PM
Yes that's right. If Motown had promoted this song just a little, it would have no doubt seen some real chart action. Several months the Emotions and Columbia beat them to the punch with "Don't Ask My Neighbor" Another great song,but to me cannot compare to this one by the Supremes.

Yes, especially since "Let Yourself Go" is also a BRILLIANT song! Complete disco floorfiller, surely would have been perfect for where music was going in the mid/late-'70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s07mfr0rlP4&app=desktop

"I'm feeling good, I'm feeling loose...!"

marv2
10-16-2016, 10:04 PM
No wonder it was so good of a song....the Holland Brothers wrote it. It is available on i-Tunes and Amazon MP3.

Soft and warm is your gentle touch
When you give the love that I need so much
You are the dream that came to life
An answered prayer that I say tonight

You are the heart of me, the very life of me
You're everything to me that a love could ever be
You are my everything, my everything

Where you are is where I wanna be
Close to you for all eternity
You're the summer sun on a winter's day
You're the starry night over moonlight's bay

You are the heart of me, the very life of me
You are my everything, oh, the very life of me

You are the heart of me, oh, the very life of me
You are my everything, oh, the very life of me

Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh, everything
You are everything [[you're the one)
Everything [[you're the heart of me)
Everything [[you're the one, whoo)
Everything [[you're the heart of me)
You're everything [[you're the one)
Ah [[you're the heart of me)
You're the heart of me [[you're the one)
You are my life [[you're the heart of me)
You're my heart [[you're the one)
You are the [[you're the one, ah-ah)
Everything [[you're the one)
Everything [[ooh baby) everything
[[you're the heart of me)
Ooh, baby [[you're the one)
Oh, oh [[you're the heart of me)
[[You're the one) baby, baby

Songwriters: EDWARD HOLLAND, EDWARD, JR. HOLLAND, MIKE SMITH
© Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Universal Music Publishing Group
For non-commercial use only.
Data From: LyricFind

marv2
10-16-2016, 10:05 PM
Now I'm wondering if Mary would consider singing it in her current act. hmmmmm...........

TomatoTom123
10-16-2016, 10:08 PM
No wonder it was so good of a song....the Holland Brothers wrote it.

Oh yea, the Holland Bros.
When did they actually come back to Motown? And what happened to Lamont Dozier? LOL :)

marv2
10-16-2016, 10:12 PM
I didn't really care for "Let Yourself Go" when I heard it on the album Christmas 1976. I liked it slightly better once I saw the performance clips later on. Since we can never go back to the Disco days of the 70s, it does not matter. Now, "You Are the Heart of Me" is timeless and very listenable today for a mature audience. There is no real love music being made today by younger artists. I don't listen to them so really don't know, but I have a pretty good idea that they don't make make out music today. LOL!

marv2
10-16-2016, 10:15 PM
Oh yea, the Holland Bros.
When did they actually come back to Motown? And what happened to Lamont Dozier? LOL :)

The Hollands returned to produce the Supremes in the mid 70s. They produced High Energy and Mary, Scherrie & Susaye. Nothing happened to Lamont Dozier. He was signed to Warner Bros. as an artist and he had some really great records out in the 70s as a vocalist.

TomatoTom123
10-16-2016, 10:25 PM
The Hollands returned to produce the Supremes in the mid 70s. They produced High Energy and Mary, Scherrie & Susaye. Nothing happened to Lamont Dozier. He was signed to Warner Bros. as an artist and he had some really great records out in the 70s as a vocalist.

Thank you, Marv! Oh, and I meant more "what did Lamont Dozier do?" rather than "did something happen to Lamont Dozier?" LOL! I think I read somewhere that he wrote and recorded the original version of "Going Back To My Roots", made a huge UK hit by disco group Odyssey. :)

marv2
10-16-2016, 10:34 PM
"You Are the Heart of Me" caught the attention of Hip Hop artists 14Kt. They sampled it or rather Mary's "sounds" for their 2009 CD "Nowalataz" / Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlU2_KXxnlc

marv2
10-16-2016, 10:38 PM
Thank you, Marv! Oh, and I meant more "what did Lamont Dozier do?" rather than "did something happen to Lamont Dozier?" LOL! I think I read somewhere that he wrote and recorded the original version of "Going Back To My Roots", made a huge UK hit by disco group Odyssey. :)

Oh he had much bigger records than that in America. His "Trying to Hold On to My Woman" seems like it was number one for weeks around Christmas '73 and then that Spring of '74 he had a huge hit with "Fish Ain't Bitin' ".

gba
10-16-2016, 11:19 PM
I agree - her vocals in this is stunning - I wish she would include songs like this in her current act. And who cares who slept with who back in the day - none of them were innocent. They just gave us beautiful music to enjoy.

gba
10-16-2016, 11:36 PM
My comment was about someone bringing up Diana sleeping with boss. What did that have to do with this thread?

midnightman
10-17-2016, 01:23 AM

Clearly you know Marvin was his own boss... he did things on his own whim. I would not be surprised. No one brings up the historical fact Marvin co-produced [[and sang background on) Yvonne Fair's version of "Funky Music Sho Nuff Turns Me On" from The B*tch is Back when Yvonne was Motown's version of Betty Davis...

midnightman
10-17-2016, 01:26 AM
Dionne did this song before the Supremes three years earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fX6Uo96kbc

midnightman
10-17-2016, 01:28 AM

At this point, Motown was through with them... it's no surprise really. That said, it's a decent quiet storm number for the group as they reached the autumn of their legendary career.

marv2
10-17-2016, 10:48 AM
At this point, Motown was through with them... it's no surprise really. That said, it's a decent quiet storm number for the group as they reached the autumn of their legendary career.

Motown made a mistake!

midnightman
10-17-2016, 12:50 PM
^ You mean "mistakes", right? Because it wasn't just the Supremes they managed to screw up during the '70s...

luke
10-17-2016, 01:04 PM
Yikes. Mary's version is so much better. Comparison helps to show the depth and power of Mary's voice. Of course I love Dionne but it's a terrible arrangement with the music and backgrounds overpowering her weak vocal. Much too MOR

Bluebrock
10-17-2016, 01:14 PM
My comment was about someone bringing up Diana sleeping with boss. What did that have to do with this thread?
Nothing at all!! It was brought up by the very person you would expect it to be brought up by but when i discreetly brought up the fact that another member of the group had more experiences of sleeping with married men he suddenly realised he had scored an own goal. I could have said much more but decided not to. Oh the irony..........

jobeterob
10-17-2016, 01:38 PM
I understand why there are still issues with Diana and the other Supremes.

In Joel Whitburns book, it says that if you combine Diana's hits with the hits she had with the Supremes, she ranks within the Top 5 Artists of all time.

When you are in such a position, even 50 years later, all this "chat" matters.

sansradio
10-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Yikes. Mary's version is so much better. Comparison helps to show the depth and power of Mary's voice. Of course I love Dionne but it's a terrible arrangement with the music and backgrounds overpowering her weak vocal. Much too MOR

You know, Luke, I feel exactly the same way about "Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You." Mary's interpretation and arrangement are magnificent...Dionne's, not so much. And I live and BREATHE Dionne Warwick.

midnightman
10-17-2016, 03:21 PM

Yeah. It actually shows how better the Supremes' version is. Better production. That's one reason I prefer Aretha's "I Say a Little Prayer" over Dionne's lol

Bluebrock
10-17-2016, 03:21 PM
You know, Luke, I feel exactly the same way about "Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You." Mary's interpretation and arrangement are magnificent...Dionne's, not so much. And I live and BREATHE Dionne Warwick.
I agree entirely. Despite Dionne having by far the superior voice The Supremes versions are without doubt the better versions. The production and arrangements are stunning, and Mary never looked or sounded better during this period.

luke
10-17-2016, 05:01 PM
I totally love Aretha's version of I Say
a little prayer. She makes it like another song. One of the few songs she doesn't steal is Oh Me Oh My Im a fool for you baby. I think Lulu owns that song!

marv2
10-17-2016, 05:33 PM
^ You mean "mistakes", right? Because it wasn't just the Supremes they managed to screw up during the '70s...

Yeah but they thought of re-grouping the Supremes just 5 years later in 1982. Those women could sing ,they gorgeous and they were well known at the time. They just needed a bit of company push and investment. I don't know if it is cheaper to find, groom and produce new acts and build up there names than it is to maintain your establish acts at the highest level.

marv2
10-17-2016, 05:35 PM

Mary knocked that out of the park! Her delivery was perfect. Scherrie and Susaye's backing support was superb.

marv2
10-17-2016, 05:36 PM

Love Dionne completely, but "You Are the Heart of Me" is Mary's song! I liked "I Don't Want to Lose You" equally done by the Supremes and the Spinners.

marv2
10-17-2016, 05:39 PM

Exactly! It's like no one in the World can sing songs like "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" and "The Theme from the Valley of the Dolls" like Dionne Warwick. No one! But the couple of songs we are mentioning here, Mary Wilson just does a better job of delivering and connecting with the listener.

marv2
10-17-2016, 05:41 PM

No, you're right and I will acknowledge that. Motown did screw up during the 70s after they had moved to L.A. Can you image how big and influential Motown would still be if they had invested in all of their acts? They had gifts from God sitting right there under their roof!

Ollie9
10-18-2016, 06:10 AM
Yeah but they thought of re-grouping the Supremes just 5 years later in 1982. Those women could sing ,they gorgeous and they were well known at the time. They just needed a bit of company push and investment. I don't know if it is cheaper to find, groom and produce new acts and build up there names than it is to maintain your establish acts at the highest level.

The most frustrating thing for me about the breakup was that all three women could sing lead. No studio trickery needed for them. Unlike so many of the girl groups of today, individually they all had instantly identifiable voices which gave them an edge. The only down side being that their choreography was a little over the top at times.
It really is such a great shame the group was never re-formed in 82. Their last two albums were strong affairs and showed there was still much potential to be had. Ah well.

detmotownguy
10-18-2016, 08:32 AM

Was that De Passe idea? MCS or MSS? MSS is fav grouping.

marv2
10-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Was that De Passe idea? MCS or MSS? MSS is fav grouping.

I believe it was hers because of the successful Temptations reunion.