View Full Version : Motown Legend Kim Weston Rehab Fund

test

jobeterob
10-11-2016, 06:30 PM
https://www.gofundme.com/258qqdqc

Has this already been posted here?

sansradio
10-11-2016, 07:17 PM
I believe so, jobeterob, but it definitely deserves a bump. Good on you.

luke
10-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Apparently Kim doesn't have Medicare which pays for rehab. Very sad. Wishing her all the best.

Roberta75
10-11-2016, 07:56 PM

May God bless and heal her and provide all resources that she need.

Roberta

jobeterob
10-11-2016, 08:47 PM
Maybe we all should give this a second look

Guy
10-11-2016, 09:01 PM
My heart breaks to hear of yet another Motown legend in need of assistance from fans and strangers. All the millions of dollars made by Motown and no pension fund for its Golden Era performers, musicians and employees? Kim Weston will be 77 in two months. She should not have to live her senior years in need.

Guy
10-11-2016, 09:02 PM

Thanks for posting, jobeterob.

carlo
10-11-2016, 09:28 PM
Thank you for re-sharing this, as I had missed this discussion the first time around and had no idea. So sorry to hear this. I agree with Guy, it is quite sad considering she sang on a handful of Motown classics. Someone else is continuing to make money on her recordings, meanwhile she doesn't have enough to support herself in a time of need. SMH.

midnightman
10-12-2016, 12:56 PM
Very, very sad. Artists in general get screwed when they reach old age. :[[

jobeterob
10-12-2016, 03:13 PM
In the USA, is the only "safety net" for Seniors what you call "social security"? Is there no top up with any other program?

I'm not sure how common private pension plans were in the 60's when Motown was at it's peak.

And even if Kim is entitled to royalties, even if she had been a very successful artist, royalties are down a lot from what they were in the 90's/80's.

luke
10-12-2016, 07:21 PM
If Kim/ Motown hadn't contributed to Medicare when employed by then then she would be eligible for Medicaid but perhaps more money would be needed for a better rehab. I don't know why Motown/ universal can't just pay for medical insurance at least now for its classic artists. Mary Wells had no health insurance.

TomatoTom123
10-12-2016, 07:35 PM
Very sad, and very unfair

Get well wishes to Kim!

jobeterob
10-12-2016, 09:17 PM
The answer to this is legal and not nice

Motown was sold to universal and no Motown artist has any contract with them anymore other than Stevie wonder

All universal is obligated to do is pay some royalties if the original contract required it and these days, I bet Kim wouldn't get $100 a year; and you'd need to look at the wording of any contract; at one stage some of these companies tried to pay for records but not CDs as I recall

Universal is obligated to its shareholders and can't pay out money when not required to. It could end up looking after many artists and where does the line get drawn? So they'll never do it

Berry Gordy might have helped in his day of ownership but a big corporate entity never will

This is the kind of thing Bernie sanders complained about

I would think maybe a personal appeal to berry Diana Stevie might be the most productive - but I'm sure they all get regular requests

Very sad