PDA

View Full Version : Blinky Williams - I Wouldn't Change the Man He Is

test

midnightman
10-11-2016, 02:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMnlrgS7_LY

motony
10-11-2016, 02:12 PM
one of the best 45's from the early 70's.

TomatoTom123
10-11-2016, 02:43 PM
Yessssss

Love that
Written and produced by Ashford and Simpson

Oh, and much better than Diana's version [[Oh no, this is the wrong thread for that, Lol)

Ollie9
10-11-2016, 04:13 PM
This has always been one of my favourite motown songs. I became aware of Blinky as a kid when i first heard her on the soundtack of Lady Sings The Blues. There was something about the tone of her voice that made her unique. I enjoy listening to her duets with Edwin Starr, but for me it's as a solo that she really shines.
I find Diana's version also superb. A great song. Thankyou for posting it Midnightman.

captainjames
10-11-2016, 08:44 PM
Love both versions of this song. Nick and Val were da bomb.

Guy
10-11-2016, 09:03 PM
Agreed. Both versions are wonderful.

Ollie9
10-12-2016, 04:52 AM
I sure wish there had been an overview of her work presented on a Motown Collection. If Chris Clark can have one why not Blinky. Perhaps if she had duetted with Marvin her name would be better known today. Her version of "God Bless The Child" [[non motown) is the bomb.
I truly believe Blinky Williams was one of the most talented female vocalists motown ever signed.

Laserdk
10-12-2016, 06:53 AM
I sure wish there had been an overview of her work presented on a Motown Collection. If Chris Clark can have one why not Blinky. Perhaps if she had duetted with Marvin her name would be better known today. Her version of "God Bless The Child" [[non motown) is the bomb.
I truly believe Blinky Williams was one of the most talented female vocalists motown ever signed.

Ollie,

Blinky's superb and ultra soulful rendition of "God Bless The Child" is an actual Motown recording as it was one of the cream tracks included on the Motown compilation "The Key To The Kingdom".

Ivor

Ollie9
10-12-2016, 07:39 AM
Many thanks for the info Ivor. I never realised it was recorded on motown. For me it is one of the very best versions of the song, along side Billie and Diana.
I wonder if we will ever get to see a motown collection released on Blinky?.

reese
10-12-2016, 09:04 AM
Many thanks for the info Ivor. I never realised it was recorded on motown. For me it is one of the very best versions of the song, along side Billie and Diana.
I wonder if we will ever get to see a motown collection released on Blinky?.

Maybe you heard the version of GOD BLESS THE CHILD that Blinky recorded under the name of Sondra Williams on her Atlantic gospel album, HARK THE VOICE. In any event, both the Atlantic and Motown versions are great.

I first heard Blinky when I bought the album MOTORTWON REVUE LIVE for $1.99 out of Bradlees cut-out bin. I had never heard of her, but really loved her renditions of I CAN'T TURN YOU LOOSE and I WOULDN'T CHANGE THE MAN HE IS. Later, I was surprised to find it was she singing T'AIN'T NOBODY'S BIZNESS IF I DO in LADY SINGS THE BLUES. In my childhood ignorance, I assumed it was Bessie Smith or someone else from that era!

Having heard other tracks since then, like her version of THE HUNTER GETS CAPTURED BY THE GAME, and some of the duets with Edwin Starr, it would be nice if she got the anthology treatment.

midnightman
10-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Love both versions of this song. Nick and Val were da bomb.

Agreed! That is just a d**n good song... Blinky & Diana both did the doggone thing with this. A&S were something else...