PDA

View Full Version : Lost and Not Found

test

woodward
10-09-2016, 06:11 PM
I was reading a posted internet article today with a brief story about the Motown vaults. I was particularly interested in the following comment:

". . . All the sources said that the Motown vault has many unreleased masters of both well-known and lesser-known artists, and MANY reels of live shows. "They used to bring a three track machine down to the Twenty Grand Club in Detroit to record on weekends for years." . . ."

If this statement is factually correct, the world has been exposed to a BARE MINIMUM of these recorded performances.

Any thoughts or comments on this.

This is the link to the article. The section on Lost and Not Found is on pages 6 and 7.

http://www.billholland.net/words/Labels%20Strive%20to%20Rectify%20Past%20Archival%2 0Problems.pdf

Roger Polhill
10-09-2016, 11:47 PM
Good one Woodward.Now if only we could break into these vaults. I would love to hear some of those live tapes - imagine another Four Tops Live!

bradsupremes
10-10-2016, 12:43 AM
Erased to the ages...
- Marvin Gaye's original vocal on "Dancing In The Street" was erased when Martha went in to record.

- The Marvelettes recorded "Tear It On Down" but their vocals were wiped when Marvin Gaye did his vocal.

- Only a mono mix of the Supremes' version of "The Nitty Gritty" survives. The multi-track was used for Gladys Knight & the Pips and their vocals and additional instrumental dubs erased the Supremes' vocals.

justanothermotownfan
10-10-2016, 01:02 AM
I would LOVE to hear the live shows, especially the Motown Monday shows at The Roostertail. The ones that have been released have been amazing [[Tempts, Tops, Supremes, Tammi...)!! If only they would release more...

Motown Eddie
10-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Like any Motown fan, I'd love to hear all these vintage performances from the 'Classic Era' live shows at the 20 Grand & The Roostertail [[I also feel that Motown is long overdue in releasing the Live Videos it has in it's vaults on DVD/Blu-ray). I can imagine 'Expanded Deluxe Editions' of Live albums from The Tempts, The Tops, Martha, Marvelettes, and so on.

theboyfromxtown
10-10-2016, 01:15 PM
Does anyone remember the plans to release the live shows from Motown Mondays..the first one was scheduled to be the Marvelettes and Jimmy Ruffin. I dont think I ever got over the possibility that it even existed....

And thank you Brad.....for not reminding of the wiped vocals from the Velvelettes....how could they do that!

Luciano
10-10-2016, 01:29 PM
That would be awesome to see more live performances. Especially for those artists that have few videos on YouTube.

bradsupremes
10-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Does anyone remember the plans to release the live shows from Motown Mondays..the first one was scheduled to be the Marvelettes and Jimmy Ruffin. I dont think I ever got over the possibility that it even existed....

And thank you Brad.....for not reminding of the wiped vocals from the Velvelettes....how could they do that!

Well there is an unreleased live Velevelettes set recorded at the Roostertail in the vaults to make up for it.

RossHolloway
10-10-2016, 02:48 PM

I do recall Harry W explaining that the Marvelettes set was edited and aired on a Detroit station but the entire show no longer exists. But he did also say that before all the acts performed in Detroit they did a perform in Cleveland, and those shows were recorded, including the Marvelettes I believe. I would also be interested in hearing Jimmy Ruffin, the Velvelettes and Brenda Holloways sets. The Tammi Terrell performance that was released on her Anthology was an OUTSTANDING REVELATION. I think Chris Clark also performed during the series, but do not quote me on that. I would be interested to know if the Isley Brothers also performed.

bradsupremes
10-10-2016, 09:04 PM
I found an article in Billboard from 1971 that stated Motown was recording the Supremes' live shows while they were touring he UK for a planned live album.

RossHolloway
10-11-2016, 06:50 PM
Does anyone know who the opening act was for the Marvelette and Martha & The Vandellas?

biggestfourtops fan
12-25-2016, 06:00 AM
I'm waiting for MARTHA AND THE VANDELLAS AT THE COPA to be released. Extremely disappointed The Four Tops played the Copa but Motown didn't record it. Wonder if there's anything from the Tops at the ROOSTERTAIL that was left off.