PDA

View Full Version : Compact Command Performances Technical Question

test

woodward
10-09-2016, 06:06 PM
In doing some internet research and reviewing old Motown Forum threads and accompanying pictures, I discovered something I was never aware of.

The Compact Command Performance series, which were produced by the company that owned the Motown archives, issued two CDs which were transferred directly from the original masters but were in fact under license from two other record companies, specifically the following:

Little Richard released 9/1986 under license from Vee Jay. and
Duane Eddy released 1/1987 under license from Jamie Records, Phila.

My question of interest is they were released with the Motown logo on the CD. I was unaware that Motown actually licensed music from other major companies to release on their labels.

Are there any other artists that had their licensed music released on the Motown label? Does this make them a Motown artist per sae because of the release with the Motown insignia on?

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

smallworld
10-09-2016, 06:48 PM
There's a Compact Command Performances of Al Green's Greatest Hits. I wouldn't consider him a Motown artist because he never recorded for the label. Motown only reissued his HI hits in the CD era.

mysterysinger
10-09-2016, 07:56 PM
Motown licensed tracks from many artists that were not recorded by Motown both in the vinyl and CD eras. They were a major leaser of material.

In fact, there are too many to list but obvious examples are on compilation albums such as "Girl Groups, Story of a Sound" [[Shangri Las, Shirelles etc, The Big Chill [[Procol Harum - who would have thought it?). Many of the Rare Earth releases were leased product [[Love Sculpture, Pretty Things, The Cats etc.) as was the single by The Honest Men [[""Baby"/"Cherie"). Not forgetting "We're Off To Dublin In The Green" by The Abbey Tavern Singers.

There were more CDs from Duane Eddy plus CDs from the likes of Jimmy Reed, tracks by The Isleys [[Twist and Shout), then the "Keeper of the Castle" album by Four Tops and "Sunshower" by Thelma Houston [[or were these bought out by Motown?).

Many many more too.

soulster
10-09-2016, 08:48 PM
In the case of Al Green, Motown owned the Hi catalog for a time in the 80s. That's how they were able to reissue Al Green. Motown may also have licenses to other artists and/or catalogs.

Companies, and licensing often switches hands. Right now, I wonder who has the rights to the Solar catalog because much of the stuff is still unavailable.

lockhartgary
10-09-2016, 11:35 PM
I remember a Vee Jay compilation CD as well [[Jimmy Reed, Jerry Butler, Spaniels) etc.

mysterysinger
10-10-2016, 07:10 PM
In 1986 Motown licensed 26 of Vee Jay's soul, blues and R&B hits for a CD compilation, "Hits from the Legendary Vee Jay Records."

Laserdk
10-11-2016, 06:50 AM
Motown licensed tracks from many artists that were not recorded by Motown both in the vinyl and CD eras. They were a major leaser of material.

In fact, there are too many to list but obvious examples are on compilation albums such as "Girl Groups, Story of a Sound" [[Shangri Las, Shirelles etc, The Big Chill [[Procol Harum - who would have thought it?). Many of the Rare Earth releases were leased product [[Love Sculpture, Pretty Things, The Cats etc.) as was the single by The Honest Men [[""Baby"/"Cherie"). Not forgetting "We're Off To Dublin In The Green" by The Abbey Tavern Singers.

There were more CDs from Duane Eddy plus CDs from the likes of Jimmy Reed, tracks by The Isleys [[Twist and Shout), then the "Keeper of the Castle" album by Four Tops and "Sunshower" by Thelma Houston [[or were these bought out by Motown?).

Many many more too.

The album master for Thelma's "Sunshower" album was purchased by Motown around 1974/75 but they didn't actually reissue it on LP until 1981.

Ivor

TomatoTom123
10-11-2016, 08:12 AM
The album master for Thelma's "Sunshower" album was purchased by Motown around 1974/75 but they didn't actually reissue it on LP until 1981.

Ivor

Does that mean it counts as Motown music? :)

mysterysinger
10-11-2016, 08:45 AM
Certainly counts as excellent music. Motown-wise though same category as the Ric Tic re-issues perhaps [[San Remo Strings etc).

Motown Eddie
10-11-2016, 09:18 AM
There's a Compact Command Performances of Al Green's Greatest Hits. I wouldn't consider him a Motown artist because he never recorded for the label. Motown only reissued his HI hits in the CD era.

Hi Records had a distribution deal with Motown at the time. That Command Performance CD by Al Green must have been the last product that Motown put out from the Hi catalog [[before Hi made distribution deals with other companies).

Motown Eddie
10-11-2016, 09:22 AM
In doing some internet research and reviewing old Motown Forum threads and accompanying pictures, I discovered something I was never aware of.

The Compact Command Performance series, which were produced by the company that owned the Motown archives, issued two CDs which were transferred directly from the original masters but were in fact under license from two other record companies, specifically the following:

Little Richard released 9/1986 under license from Vee Jay. and
Duane Eddy released 1/1987 under license from Jamie Records, Phila.

My question of interest is they were released with the Motown logo on the CD. I was unaware that Motown actually licensed music from other major companies to release on their labels.

Are there any other artists that had their licensed music released on the Motown label? Does this make them a Motown artist per sae because of the release with the Motown insignia on?

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

That was something that Motown did in the early days of CD [[around 1986/1987). They licensed the music from other labels and issued the CD on Motown. I still have the 'Vee-Jay Records' collection from 1986.

TomatoTom123
10-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Certainly counts as excellent music. Motown-wise though same category as the Ric Tic re-issues perhaps [[San Remo Strings etc).

I always count Ric-Tic stuff as Motown, so why not :)

woodward
10-11-2016, 11:36 AM
I always count Ric-Tic stuff as Motown, so why not :)

DITTO. I wholeheartedly agree.

booty
10-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Uk Issue Duane Eddy - Compact Command Performaces

booty
10-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Motown 6111 Al Green - Compact Command Performances

mysterysinger
10-11-2016, 04:32 PM
Some more.....